Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/797199-potassium-magnesium-calcium.html)

Geekin' in Utah 02-14-2013 07:02 PM

Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium

I'm looking for good supplements for these. The potassium is particularly hard to find in doses over 3%. Right now, I have a Ca/Mg supplement that is ok on dosage, but it isn't citrate, so I'm keen to replace it.

I know you don't want to take too much Ka, but I really think I'm not getting enough right now.

What good supplements have you found?

piratejenny 02-14-2013 07:11 PM

I buy NuSalt and put it into capsules to make my own (very cheap!) potassium pills.

Rowief 02-14-2013 07:41 PM

Be careful with Magnesium. Magnesium oxide will cause diarrhea. My doctor put me on Magnesium Glycinate 400 mgm a day. I feel so very much better since I started it. Avocado is a good source of Potassium. All of the Potassium supplements I researched only provided 3% of the daily requirement as you alluded to.

Taxbane 02-15-2013 06:25 AM

Coffee (8 oz) had about 116mg (3% Daily value) of Potassim and 7.1mg (2% Daily value) or magnesium.

Tea (black is similar) is similar.

I drink about 1 pot of coffee a day so it can add up. Just another benefit of coffee! :)

juliekaboolie 02-15-2013 10:20 AM

I take an RX potassium for a medical reason, but I recommend (based on my drs advice) mag glycinate/chelate 400mg at night. I don't take calcium because I have read and heard that increasing mag usually naturally increases calcium. Also, eat potassium rich foods: I drink coconut water (equivalent to 2 bananas), avocado, sweet potatoes, and bananas.

CreekWatcher 02-15-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 16260111)
I buy NuSalt and put it into capsules to make my own (very cheap!) potassium pills.

I get No-Salt (the stuff they sell around here) and just pour a little into my cupped hand, dump it towards the back of my mouth and wash it down without (usually) scarcely tasting it. That beats the heck out of swallowing one horse pill after another (but then so would Jenny's suggestion).

RobK 02-15-2013 11:17 PM

I know you're looking for a pill, but I would urge you to eat: mushrooms, salmon, avocado, and just about any dark leafy green you can think of. Those will have you covered.
I try to eat an avocado spread throughout the week (never more than about a quarter of one per day) with lots of spinach, which lends itself very well to bacon, vinegar, and blue cheese!:up:

ohiocat 02-17-2013 07:23 AM

I have not seen any potassium supplements that are OTC and are more than 99mg (3%).

I bought an inexpensive bottle of those at Sams Club and I take 2 per day. I was getting leg and foot cramps daily before, and have been taking the potassium and a magnesium supp daily since August and not one cramp since.

I do eat a varied diet, but don't like avacados and was really struggling with the leg cramps.

piratejenny 02-17-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah (Post 16260097)
The potassium is particularly hard to find in doses over 3%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiocat (Post 16263669)
I have not seen any potassium supplements that are OTC and are more than 99mg (3%).

That's the legal limit for potassium supplements.

I thought of another one--Twinlab makes a supplement called "Liquid Potassium" (old name: Liqui-K). It's still 3% per dose, but you can add it to beverages instead of taking a bunch of pills.

Marvin 02-17-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowief (Post 16260138)
Be careful with Magnesium. Magnesium oxide will cause diarrhea.

Precisely why I take Mag supplements. Makes it easier to "go" than anything else I've tried.