Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Anyone using "berberine"????

I just got my bottle....decided to go for the small 50% normal dose (250 mg) so I would not have the side effects. Took one with dinner and one with breakfast. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but wanted to give it a try since Jimmy Moore said it helped him, and his fasting B/G levels were very similar to mine when he started. Sure, he's male, much larger than I am, but I'm taking 1/2 what he was taking and want to "phase in" without side effects.

I'm curious to know if anyone else is doing this and what they have discovered, how they are dosing, etc.

Thanks.

PS J. Moore said he didn't see/feel anything for the first 4 weeks and then the fasting B/G levels started to drop a "bit" and it wasn't until 6 weeks that it gave him normal readings.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Oh my goodness.....nobody is using this stuff? Just me? Guess you all have great B/G readings....lucky ducks!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
I do not have great blood glucose readings, especially after a stint with Tramadol after a dog bite, beginning of November. Its been hell getting it back near normal. The only supplement I use for it though, has been benfotiamine which is a B1 precursor and typically it helps. Not much seems to be helping right now though. I feel like I spend so much in supplements, I am loathe to add anything else in!

I missed the podcasts where he talked about having wonky BG, I thought he had been pretty insistent that his blood sugars were fine and dandy. Glad it worked for him though, its a frustrating puzzle sometimes.

Last edited by brandilynn1313; 12-10-2012 at 02:14 AM..
brandilynn1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hi Shelley! I started berberine supplements back in mid October (7.5 wks. ago). I started with 500mg in the a.m. and increased to 1000 (500 in am and 500 in late afternoon) after a couple of wks. with no ill effects at all.

I have lost a bit but that didn`t happen right away but rather after a month or more. It is a reversal of weight gaining and a bit of loss of those regained lbs. after a very long time. I am not testing b.g..

Currently, I seem to be in a `holding pattern` of about 10 days in length so far. Time will tell but I am over all very happy that I am no longer gaining and maybe losing.

I might add that I think getting the right food has been key (i.e. N.K.).

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I ordered some just now. I hope they help! I found 60 400mg for $10 incl shipping. Anyone else see a better price?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

I ordered Glycosolve because of the issues of quality that come with product that comes from China and other sources.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I'm interested in anything that lowers blood sugar. Mine has stayed somewhat high despite weight loss. No supplement has yet helped. Please report your results I'm very interested.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hi...thanks for the responses....I got the 250 mg ones due to side effects. First day I was fine, taking 2. Second day I took one with each meal (instructions say to take 15 min before a carby meal...well, that never happens,so just took it before eating). That night I could not sleep. Was awake nearly all night with stomach "pressure". Next morning I was fine. Then I took one with lunch. Same discomfort around 10 PM....and SILLY ME, I woke at 3 AM and was uncomfortable and feeling "off" until I got up at 5 and took a bunch of sea salt and water and within 5 minutes I was fine and slept fine. So, I'm now thinking it wasn't the berberine at all, but the lack of sodium for days. I'll take ONE again today. Very tiny dose. But the interesting thing is that after the 2nd day, my fasting BG went under 100. This morning it was 83. What?!?!?! I react very fast to any meds and can't even take aspirin or advil or anything, so decided to start with less than 1/2 of what they recommend. I'm not really changing my eating other than not having fat bombs...and that would not be the cause of lowering fasting B/G. So, for now, I'll try getting in more salt and taking one 250 mg one at lunch and see if I have any more discomfort. Wish I could find out how and when it's to be taken. Just know that Dr. Jonathan Wright uses it in his practice and he's a genius.

I wonder why this thread has -- for number of posts and -- for number of views. I didn't check it because it showed on my computer that it was a "dead" thread. Hmmmm....

Anyway, if anyone knows more about when/how to take it, please speak up. Oh...my weight dropped finally as well...I've been consistently gaining in teensy increments, but going up about 3#, and now I'm back where I started in late August...so at least got that back off! But I'm not wild about the stomach distress and lack of sleep. Just hoping it's the lack of salt!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I ordered Glycosolve because of the issues of quality that come with product that comes from China and other sources.
I agree. I got GlycoX because of the same ingredients and reviews on it.

I sure wish I had your ability to take the 500 two times a day, Cathy! I'll be lucky to get in 250 mg. once a day unless it turns out to be the sale issue instead of the berberine. I'm hanging in there though as it did raise my NK reading and dropped my fasting B/G and also the scale is dropping.

I had a nutritionist tell me that with my history of being stalled on Atkins '72 induction and also on NK eating, that the glucose thing was probably an issue for me, but no docs would Rx the metformin....and then the berberine discussion came out again (by Reddarin) and it made me start researching again. Time will tell. Oh....I see they moved this post to a supplement place and not in our NK area.....but maybe it's back now? It does have numbers of posts and views, so who knows. I'm just glad I found it again!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Shelley, I have found that the berberine does good things to my body and have zero negative things to say with the exception of the cost of the stuff.

I read in J.M. recent blog posting on the topic of his N.K., he stopped taking it for the time he was travelling and did not really notice any negatives. I find this curious. Hope he continues to report on that aspect....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Shelley, I have found that the berberine does good things to my body and have zero negative things to say with the exception of the cost of the stuff.

I read in J.M. recent blog posting on the topic of his N.K., he stopped taking it for the time he was travelling and did not really notice any negatives. I find this curious. Hope he continues to report on that aspect....
Do you suppose that for those with higher than normal readings, but lower than being diagnosed (which is me with readings 100-107 in blood tests at doctors offices), taking it just "resets" something and then you are okay??? That would be interesting. I know he said it was 4 weeks before the self-test levels dropped a bit and 6 weeks before they dropped into the 70-80's. 70's is too low isn't it?

I can't believe I'm taking so little and getting such great results after 3 days.

I figured out what happened with this thread...it's been moved into a vitamins and supplements section, but still shows up in the NK area without it showing new posts...so I just have to keep finding it and clicking on it to see if there are responses. I don't know how to subscribe and all that most of you do. I just have to search sometimes.

So, is JM back taking it again or has he stayed off it? I think he's "off" for the rest of the year??? Thanks for keeping me updated on all this. I'll let you know what my readings are tomorrow morning.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

One odd thing I thought was worth mentioning is that I have been experiencing calf cramps at night the last 2 wks.. Weird because, I haven't had them since the first few months of Atkins (3 yrs. ago). Got them resolved with the addition of mag supplements which I continue to take to this day. Guess I am going to have to go back to chicken broth and see if that helps.

I do think the berberine has something to do with it but couldn't tell you why.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm off the tiny amount of berberine I was taking. Decided to start slow and am glad I did. Got the half dose of 250 mg size and instead of taking them 2-3 times a day (at the 500 mg amt), I took one with breakfast and 2 days I took one with breakfast and one with dinner...but too much for my stomach. So, I went back to just one in the morning. After about a week I noticed a low grade headache (I never get headaches) and my stomach was really causing me issues and I was sleeping VERY poorly...waking nearly ever hour with an upset stomach. So, yesterday I didn't take any pills. Slept beautifully and feel good again. So...this is not something that works for my body. Boo hoo!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Sorry to hear that Shelley. I am sure it is very disappointing but you gotta pay attention to your body and do what works for you.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
This is a little off topic but any of you using L-gluatmine ? I started taking some just
before bed and am having the best dreams and have read this is sort of common.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
I am sorry for your belly issues, Shelley!

Note from me, my fastings and postprandials (after taking tramadol after a dog bite the first of November) had been in the one teens at the LEAST, after being below 100, typically mid 90s. Over a month nothing would budge them and I got some berberine. I just got the regular Swanson kind, not the GlycoX and my fastings have gone back down to mid 90s again. I take 400 mg before each of my 3 meals and still keep my carbs to 30, a'la Dr. Bernstein. It took 2 days for my fastings and pps to drop back to normal (90 to 100) range.

I had one instance of waking up from a nap ravenous, went and checked my blood sugars and it was 84. Encouraged about the "normal/normal" sugar - reminded myself about the hunger that comes from a body that has now gotten used to higher blood sugars as its normal.

I have not had issues *to this point* with guts, cramps, or dreams. I will touch back if I do!
brandilynn1313 is offline   Reply With Quote