Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Or it could be from detox. I always get a headache after having sugar for a while and then going to no sugar. I hope it will go away and it is not the supps. Those are going to be so helpful.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/156.2/?
WOE: lc
https://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=b...number=1&w=711

https://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=b...number=2&w=711

Good links for an easy accessible chart. You can probably get better quality pages to print if you google amino acid therapy chart.

Last edited by jeaniem; 02-21-2013 at 04:00 PM..
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
https://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=b...number=1&w=711

https://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=b...number=2&w=711

Good links for an easy accessible chart. You can probably get better quality pages to print if you google amino acid therapy chart.
Thank you for sharing the links. I have been looking for such charts and this really helps pinpoint what is going on with me and what I should focus more on.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I have read this book. Apparently I have the new one. Anyways I got the idea that it nixed coffee because that is what the l-tyrosine is supposed to help - get rid of the "need" for caffeine. And other supps too. Personally, this book has made it very clear to me what I need and don't need. For instance, I don't need the l-tyrosine (and I also am a migraine sufferer, and she advises against using l-tyrosine if you get them, so for me it makes sense). Also I took the analysis in the beginning, and started reading the chapter/s that I had the highest score for. I took notes. Then I went on to the second highest, and read that... I have now read the entire book (even though I don't necessarily have all those problems, I feel it has helped me understand all of it better). So I would definitely advise reading the whole thing. For me, the #1 was deficiency of aminos in my brain (I have all the symptoms), and #2 hormones. dawn I am so jealous that you have a doctor you can go to for bio identical hormones. I have done all my research myself, I know of no one I can see for this. Either way I use bio-identical progesterone and it has helped me immensely.

jean, in an earlier post you mentioned
"does anyone know if I need to purchase the GABA if I already have 5htp and l- tryptophan?"
My reply would be - you need either 5-HTP OR the l-tryptophan, not both. They are very much the same in what they do. The GABA you may need in addition, say for anxiety and sleep. The book says 5-HTP is more stimulating than the tryptophan but if you couldn't sleep after taking the tryptophan at night, maybe try taking it earlier. Or maybe starting with a smaller dose? (That is advice from a personal perspective.)

Here are some of my notes on the GABA. If this sounds like something you need, then maybe you should add it in.
- [note] taking GABA for the first time early in the day may not be a good idea, because you might get too relaxed to drive (if so, take less next time)
symptoms of needing GABA -> overstressed, stiff and tense muscles, hard to relax or get to sleep, eat to relieve stress; crave sweets, starches

I have been using l-glutamine and definitely notice it helps. Even if I go off plan, I am unable to binge - I want to [emotionally?] but I don't want to/can't. She states this in the book and it's definitely true.

I am not "cured" yet but working on it.

Also remember she states to NOT taking aminos without also taking your basic supplements/vitamins - it is important to take multis and all that when you're taking aminos (I have been told this before and she reiterates it in her book). It helps them to work properly I think.. there's some reason, although I don't know exactly.

Hope this helps, maybe!
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Thanks Chica!!!!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: simplyhealthy
Has anyone tried taking the amino acid regimen during hcg P2?
simplyhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyhealthy View Post
Has anyone tried taking the amino acid regimen during hcg P2?
Do you mean using the supplements while on a round of hcg? I have taken them while doing hcg really notice nothing different. I take them while not doing hcg and notice no difference.

I must be a freak because I still want to binge I don't know what is wrong with me. I took the l-glut yesterday, day before yest, took it today...nothing. Still eating my fill of chocolate and I should NOT be. I just cannot win I wish I could get off this binge mode I am in. I desperately need to stop, I want to lose not gain a ton of weight.

I went in for another insert yesterday with my doc. She got my initial lab/blood work in from being on the hormones for a few weeks. My levels are not where they should be yet. So I went in for more. I am showing that I am entering in menopause, so she is giving my estrogen, as well as more testosterone. I went from being estrogen dominant to needing estrogen in 2 months I am so very confused about it all and I just am thankful that I am not doing this myself. I know I would screw it up if I did.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: simplyhealthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Do you mean using the supplements while on a round of hcg? I have taken them while doing hcg really notice nothing different. I take them while not doing hcg and notice no difference.
Yes, while on P2. I have been struggling this round and thought I'd try the amino acids...

But, I've always been strict protocol and really enjoyed the freedom of not worrying about supplements...but I'm afraid if I don't try something I'm going to eat my way to gaining on this round rather than losing!

I'm so sorry you are struggling with HRT...I'm deathly afraid of when I get to that point! It's such a trial and error process! Good Luck!!!
simplyhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyhealthy View Post
Yes, while on P2. I have been struggling this round and thought I'd try the amino acids...

But, I've always been strict protocol and really enjoyed the freedom of not worrying about supplements...but I'm afraid if I don't try something I'm going to eat my way to gaining on this round rather than losing!

I'm so sorry you are struggling with HRT...I'm deathly afraid of when I get to that point! It's such a trial and error process! Good Luck!!!
Then try the amino acids. They won't hurt. I have been doing a round and cannot get my head in the game, despite using the l-glut. I had to give up because being on the hcg + eating whatever the heck you want = weight gain. Not a good combo Once I get some food in me, and my trip out of town is over next week I hope to try a round yet again.

Good luck to you!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post

I must be a freak because I still want to binge I don't know what is wrong with me. I took the l-glut yesterday, day before yest, took it today...nothing. Still eating my fill of chocolate and I should NOT be. I just cannot win I wish I could get off this binge mode I am in. I desperately need to stop, I want to lose not gain a ton of weight.

I went in for another insert yesterday with my doc. She got my initial lab/blood work in from being on the hormones for a few weeks. My levels are not where they should be yet. So I went in for more. I am showing that I am entering in menopause, so she is giving my estrogen, as well as more testosterone. I went from being estrogen dominant to needing estrogen in 2 months I am so very confused about it all and I just am thankful that I am not doing this myself. I know I would screw it up if I did.
You might need to increase your l-glutamine. I went back and re-read the other day b/c I was wondering for myself. You start with 1,000 mg 3x a day and take more as needed. A couple of days (during TOM) I was taking 2,000 mg mid-afternoon (between lunch and dinner). That is my bad time, right after work, before dinner. You could even try spreading them out, if you feel that might help.

I also take 5-HTP which helps with evening cravings, have you tried that? I take one (30 mg) with my mid-afternoon l-glutamine and 1 HTP before bed. Before bed, I take 5-HTP, l-glutamine, 2 GABA, and magnesium.

5-HTP can hinder some from good sleep but for me, it helps my sleep immensely when taken later in the day.

Don't forget, she also talks about in the book, that we need to eat well - healthy foods, kind of LC, lots of veggies for nutrients.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #41

I will have to pull out my book, yet again. I didn't know we could take the l glut that often. I was doing morning, mid morning and mid afternoon. I have pills that are 1000, so I was doing just 1. I will bump it up to 2 today. Thanks!!! I am not sure if I have the 5-htp still in my closet. I used to take that all the time, then heard not to have it with Wellbutrin. I tried the Wellbutrin for 2 months and it didn't work, so I am off it now. I guess I can pick up the 5-htp too. Thanks!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

No problem, are you taking a multi-vitamin too? I am currently taking NOW True Balance which contains chromium (one of her recommendations) and gymnema sylvestre (which I THINK you tried in the past, right?).

Here is what I take every day (aminos in between meals):
B complex, Vitamin C, Multi-vitamin (4 per day of this particular one), Vitamin D, Magnesium, evening primrose oil, Gaba, 5-HTP, l-glutamine.
This is just for me, though, and my needs. Everyone is different. I think the most important thing for EVERYONE is the multi-vitamin and b-complex (there isn't enough in most multis), to go along with the l-glutamine and other aminos.

You might just try adding one extra capsule per day. At whatever time your cravings are worst. For me, it's afternoon/evening. Morning I am fine (so I only take one 1,000 mg). Then I tried increasing it to 2 in the afternoon (like 3pm) and one at evening. I am back down to 3 per day and doing fine.

By the way, from earlier convo, I never gave up caffeine. I usually only have one cup in the morning, SOMETIMES another later on (usually not). Since I started eating better and taking my vitamins/aminos I don't feel the energy lull in the afternoon so no need for caffeine. I don't take l-tyrosine b/c I don't need it, but that is supposed to help with caffeine cravings. I am not giving up my one cup of coffee
Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Remember, you can take an emergency 500 mg under your tongue when needed!

And from p. 121 it says
Two 500 mg capsules three times a day between meals is usually sufficient. For fast, emergency relief of carbohydrate cravings (and/or alcohol cravings), take 500 mg under your tongue (open the capsule).

Of course, now I can't find where I read that you can take more l-glutamine as needed, but I also remember reading that about the aminos in general, b/c I increased my Gaba to 400mg. The dosage for that is 100-500mg as needed. You start low and add if needed. Gaba helps with certain cravings too. Gaba is good for emotional eating - helps with stress and cravings, and also cramps/stress during PMS.
"If we lack GABA, we start to feel anxious, we often cannot stop eating after one serving, and we have a hard time falling asleep because our mind is racing."
Re Gaba: take later in day, as it can be VERY relaxing (don't drive if you are unsure how it will affect you). I take right before bed.

5-HTP - stop afternoon, evening, and winter carb cravings
- particularly needed for afternoon and evening cravings during PMS
Re 5-HTP: take separate from caffeine and protein foods - at least 30 minutes before

These are just some of my notes I have on these particular aminos.

On page 29 though, it does say for l-glutamine 500 mg take 1-3 am, mm, ma (mid-morning and mid-afternoon). So that's up to 1,500 3x daily. You can switch it up if you have the 1,000 mg tabs (I do too).

Hope some of that helps you!!