Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
MCT Oil

This is for anybody familiar with MCT oil. WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH IT???? What I've read has said that there MAY be a COUPLE of days of digestive upset. Well, it's been 4 weeks since my husband and I have started taking it and OMG! We run to the washroom!! It has changed, slightly - we aren't running everyday now but man oh man! We each take only 1 TBSP/day.

When does this stop?
What does it mean?
Will we reap the revved metabolism/fat burning benefit when it stops - is that happening now?

Somebody please explain how it works.....
Bernsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Some have a greater intolerance to it than others...I believe it can cause nausea also if you don't work your way up to what ever amount you are taking a day. I would start with a teaspoon a day for a week and then up it to two a day and so on. and, maybe even take mct through out the day instead of all at once. I am sure others will chime in but I think your body just need to get used to the new supplement.
A lot of people here complain about constipation when starting this way of eating...maybe your curse could be their blessing lol.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back

Last edited by lterry913; 07-05-2012 at 08:06 AM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bflogurl
I recently started MCT oil (Monday), and haven't experienced anything like you have described... I take 1 TBSP 2x in the am (in my coffee). I think the above poster is right about individual tolerances... Too bad you both seem more sensitive to it- eek!!
bflogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I had to start slow (.5 tsp) and work my way up. Now I have no issues and can consume as much as I like. It has to do with gut bacteria and coming off a diet high in carbs apparently requires some adjustments that take time.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I had to start slow (.5 tsp) and work my way up. Now I have no issues and can consume as much as I like. It has to do with gut bacteria and coming off a diet high in carbs apparently requires some adjustments that take time.
Maybe that is why I lucked out?? Ive been eating low carb for a while now- that could explain why I didn't experience "those" symptoms??
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Sounds like it might be leaky gut. Do you have gut problems like indigestion, gas, bloating, burping, etc?.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I have been eating low carb since November 2004 - I don't think high carb is the issue. I had started with 1 TBSP each morning then changed to .5 TBSP breakfast/dinner. I just recently went back to 1 TBSP each morning but ....

What benefits are you guys experiencing?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gas and burping just since starting this stuff
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
I have been eating low carb since November 2004 - I don't think high carb is the issue. I had started with 1 TBSP each morning then changed to .5 TBSP breakfast/dinner. I just recently went back to 1 TBSP each morning but ....

What benefits are you guys experiencing?
Careful taking it late in day. It may interfere with sleep.

MCT is good for energy. It also is good for converting someone from a sugar burner to a fat burner. It is the pure part of the good stuff in coconut oil. I have read that some people use it for vinegar and oil. It would also be good in flax muffins or in your eggs. I try to eat at least 2 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of MCT every day. This morning I made flax pancakes and put about a tbsp of MCT oil in the batter.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I have been having 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp MCT oil. I am not sure if I should continue - if these symptoms will disappear or if I should stop
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I would just stick with the 1TBSP of MCO and see how it goes. (no pun intended.. well, maybe a little )
Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
The thing about coconut oil that give people stomach upsets are the MCT. Some people therefore start taking coconut oil in teaspoon amounts.

you started with 1T of pure MCT oil! I think you ought to scale it back to just a teaspoon or a half until your body gets used to this. It directly stimulates the small intestines, for goodness sake I'm impressed you kept taking it so long .

Reduce the amount until you are used it it and use it as a additive, like add it to your soup or on your veggies AFTER cooking or mix it with butter to add flavor.

once the belly troubles calm down then increase by half a teaspoon over a week or so to make sure you are not getting sick from too much. You'll get used to it, but right now you are flooding yourself with a whole T at once. I use that much in 3 serving soup pot. 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each meal is a good start.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
I have been having 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp MCT oil. I am not sure if I should continue - if these symptoms will disappear or if I should stop
You are getting 1 T of MCT, plus about half a T MCT natuallyfrom the coconut oil. That's a lot of MCt. either cut out the Pure MCT and use just the CO till you get used it it, or cut way back on the pure MCt amount and try to space it out over the day, but not right before bed or you might have trouble sleeping.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Funny thing, when I started the coconut oil, I didn't have any problems at all. It is just the MCT oil. I thought that I had gotten used to the .5 Tbsp/2times/day so I changed it to 1Tbsp in the morning. What benefit should you get from it?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #15

well, MCT is directly absorbed, n ot neeeding bile, so it is quickly metabolized for energy, as fast as carbs. So A benefit would be quick energy.

it is thermogenic, encourages metabolism and energy burning so it can warm you up and you burn a few more calories. beneficial in cooler weather.

MCT oil is only MCT so there are no Long Chain fatty acids. LCT can be used to build fat. MCT cannot. Benefit is that you can have fat in your diet that cannot be stored as fat. A low fat diet, a diet low in Long chain triglicerides, can be supplemented with MCT for better taste, and thermogenesis, and energy.

a meal that contains MCT oil ( as compared to corn oil) suppresses appetite well into the next meal so less calories are consumed. Benefit, you feel full longer and less hungry later.
~~~~~~~~~~
some Sources :

Physiological Effects of Medium-Chain Triglycerides: Potential Agents in the Prevention of Obesity1 edium chain fatty acids (MCFA) are readily oxidized in the liver. Animal and human studies have shown that the fast rate of oxidation of MCFA leads to greater energy expenditure (EE). Most animal studies have also demonstrated that the greater EE with MCFA relative to long-chain fatty acids (LCFA) results in less body weight gain and decreased size of fat depots after several months of consumption. Furthermore, both animal and human trials suggest a greater satiating effect of medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) compared with long-chain triglycerides (LCT).

Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT)
When MCT's are consumed they are processed by the body in a completely different way to long chain triglycerides. They are much more water soluble and as a result can be readily absorbed across the small intestine wall into the blood stream for transportation direct to the liver. [...]Because MCT's are transported direct to the liver there may be further risk of gastrointestinal upset if high doses are ingested on an empty stomach. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea and anorexia or appetite loss...

Last edited by metqa; 07-05-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
So are you all saying that if the coconut oil isn't causing any, er, action as to getting things moving, the MCT oil will be more of a direct hit and more likely to help? At this point I will try anything and am currently trying everything simultaneously with no success.
A lot of pain meds are a big cause of the stoppage, much as I try to minimize taking them for that and other reasons, but also a medical issue creates a lot of obstacles throughout the system.

I have it pulled up and ready to pull the trigger on netrition if anyone can confirm it may help better than coconut oil and no, I'm not asking for guarantees or specifics, just in general does it help more than the straight coconut oil. Oh, and how gross is it? The coconut oil is actually pretty good, not hard at all to get down or to remember to take it throughout the day.

Encouraging a food addict to "just have one treat, so you'll stay motivated and on track" is like encouraging an alcoholic to just have one drink so they won't fall off the wagon.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #17

Marge, I'd hesitate to use MCT to get things moving so the speak, it's not so much something that causes peristalsis as something that activates the cell walls and you'd likely get nausea with no action to move it along. Imagine cramps with no movement to look forward to.

Have you tried magnesium? A good dose of magnesium will help draw water into your stool to soften it and relax the muscles to let it out. Natural Calm or Magnesium Fizz are two good products I use interchangeably, Calm is like hot tea, Fizz is fizzy. both work well, I prefer the fizz in the day time and the calm at night.... Oh it can make you sleepy so no operating heavy equipment.

BTW, MCT oil is as bland as you can get. it's not got that traditionally oily fatty taste to it, it's super bland and super smooth. you can add it to smoothies or food, and you'd not taste it at all, in fact it's a carrier for many scents and flavors and cosmetic oils for that reason. But Hold that trigger on using it as a laxative. You might regret it.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Thanks, metqa! Right now I'm doing more than double the maximum dosages of senna and docusate, about four 400-mgs of magnesium (just a tablet; hadn't heard of this other stuff you mention), about four tablespoons of coconut oil throughout the day, about 20-40 grams of fiber in pill form, large bowl of lettuce (hearts of romaine) eadh day when I'm home to eat it and just today bought some flaxseed that everyone in here also has recommended.

And for that? Maybe once a week at best and it's been at least that long right now. I would even happily take the nausea at this point if it came with results, but obviously not worth it if it isn't going to help and do so reasonably safely. At one point a couple of months ago, between high fiber tortillas and avocados, I had about 180-plus grams of fiber in two and a half days, with again, zero results and not even a cramped up gut from all that excess fiber.

Last edited by MargeGunderson; 07-05-2012 at 10:01 PM..
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the input and the links Metqa! This morning I dropped my dose back down to 1/2 Tbsp at breakfast and I'll take another 1/2 at dinner, maybe. Do you take it? Do you experience any benefits? Has it helped you to lose fat?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #20

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeGunderson View Post
Thanks, metqa! Right now I'm doing more than double the maximum dosages of senna and docusate, about four 400-mgs of magnesium (just a tablet; hadn't heard of this other stuff you mention), about four tablespoons of coconut oil throughout the day, about 20-40 grams of fiber in pill form, large bowl of lettuce (hearts of romaine) eadh day when I'm home to eat it and just today bought some flaxseed that everyone in here also has recommended.

And for that? Maybe once a week at best and it's been at least that long right now. I would even happily take the nausea at this point if it came with results, but obviously not worth it if it isn't going to help and do so reasonably safely. At one point a couple of months ago, between high fiber tortillas and avocados, I had about 180-plus grams of fiber in two and a half days, with again, zero results and not even a cramped up gut from all that excess fiber.
I am on the hcg diet currently and I use the Natural Calm to help me. I find that with this diet plan you need something to make you go. There are no oils allowed on this particular diet I am on right now. I am only on it for about 2 more weeks so it won't be forever. But I need something NOW!! I take the Natural Calm at night along with pysllium fiber caps and the next morning after my coffee--bam! It works for me. I like the Natural Calm and even have my DH taking it. It works for him too. I don't think more fiber is what you need I think there are some here that actually say that it could be dangerous. I am sure that Dr Eades has cautioned against this very thing. I would say that the Natural Calm may be for you. I get it at vitamin shoppe. Actually need to head out there today or tomorrow for some more. Another thing my DH has found that works for him is tea from walmart. It is the Yogi brand and the name of it is "Get Regular". Works like a charm every single time. Maybe you can try that one too?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Marge...I know I've also read or been told that specific types of magnesium are better than others for helping potty issues. I wish I could remember!!
Anybody have info on that?
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #22

Dawn Thanks for pointing out the excess of fiber could be a problem. if the natural peristalsis is not moving the solids, you don't need to add more solids, you need to add more liquid and solubles. the oils a good idea, but if the solids have become compacted then moisture is needed to soften it.

I say SCRAP THE SENNA! Unless you have problems with colonic peristalsis and use it only occasionally Senna is more harmful than good long term. The docusate seems okay and the powdered magnesium will give you more active magnesium and less binding ingredients from tablets. the powders are ionic magnesium meaning they come apart when hydrated and don't need to be cleaved from other ingredients before it is useful.

Quote:
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Mag...ional/:Enteric coating (the outer layer of a tablet or capsule that allows it to pass through the stomach and be dissolved in the small intestine) of a magnesium compound can decrease bioavailability [29]. In a study that compared four forms of magnesium preparations, results suggested lower bioavailability of magnesium oxide, with significantly higher and equal absorption and bioavailability of magnesium chloride and magnesium lactate [30].
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks for the input and the links Metqa! This morning I dropped my dose back down to 1/2 Tbsp at breakfast and I'll take another 1/2 at dinner, maybe. Do you take it? Do you experience any benefits? Has it helped you to lose fat?
I'm not a good case study for fat loss, but for energy it's great stuff. For a while I was making shakes for breakfast and I'd add some MCT oil to the shake. and fast until late noon. If I forgot to add the mCT oil, I'd feel hungrier sooner.
I used it during a round of HCG and I lost so I think it helped with energy and didn't harm the fat loss at that time. I haven't been using it cause I'm not reducing now, but when I get back on a reduction plan, I intend to use it regularly. I think it would be very effective with a low fat/ low carb plan.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Bumping...thank you for the information. I just tried it for the first time today.

my appetite was wiped out completely, and I am not feeling well, but I had a hard day on a personal level so I can't be sure it is totally the oil.

I am so curious about this oil now.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #25

It was probably the oil! LOL I had a Tablespoon for breakfast the other day, felt fine for two hours, then had what seemed like upset tummy ( intestines) for about half an hour, and then it went away and I was not hungry till after 4pm when I made dinner for BF and that triggered my hunger finally. I drank a lot of water and tea all day and I think that helped with the empty-gut-MCT side effect. If you could dilute it with any sort of food, it would reduce that effect some.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my gosh, you are so right. I did it again today and the effect is even more pronounced! I have more upset than yesterday, and even less appetite.

I can't take it with food because I'm experimenting with some theories of addressing leptin resistance with low food reward in a paleo setting (Stephan Guyenet) and taking flavorless oil with no food before or after for one hour (Shangri-La by Seth Roberts, same concept as Guyenet, different method).

I am hoping I will adjust to the MCT oil because it is so incredibly effective. My gosh....!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #27

Hey, that's what I was reading about! I never take MCT oil alone but I tried it when I first got my bottle so I'd know what it felt like and this was only the second time I did because of that flavorless oil thing! Wow, small world.

I think drinking a lot of water seemed to help, but I dunno how long it takes to adjust cause taking McT oil alone is new to me, even though I've had it so long...
Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Metqa,

Pop on over to my thread and have a look around!

Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting
Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #29

Hmm, that's intersting....and long!!!
I was thinking more along the lines of :
MCT reduces hunger while providing energy.
I.F. keeps you in a fasting state longer

But does the MCT oil count as a feeding since it is energy? so does taking MCT oil in the morning stop my fasting state? In that case I'd have to take it at the end of my fast in the afternoon, but then I'd have to continue my fast afterward for several hours, meaning my first meal will be around late lunch to dinner time.

-or- maybe I should have MCT as a final meal, that might keep me up all night, since I don't eat breakfast, so I'd be taking the MCT as late as dinner time... idunno
Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the only thing we are doing for sure is no food one hour before and one hour after, no flavors, no brushing teeth, no gum (no smoking!, but no, I don't smoke), no tea...just water during this window. this is critical!

I did it today and felt no hunger all day. I thought it worked right away but after a few days, oh. my. gosh.

I tried coconut oil before and felt nothing, but I was putting it in coffee and making chocolate bars and treats out of it. Huge mistakes. Totally wrong and makes it not work for me.

I used to think snake oil when I heard the stories. I am a believer now. Good grief it is crazy effective. I was sick on it at first but I am getting used to it. No tummy upsets today.

Maybe try it upon getting up and see how you feel about it. I think it would keep you up if you took it at bedtime.

Ugly Christmas sweater competition - this is how I felt in the elevator...

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-05-2013 at 01:16 AM..