Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
As far as flavorless oils go, refined coconut oil is a good one, but it does have about 60% LCT. the MCT is a better fuel-not-food choice cause it doesn't need any bile to be fully digested. But boy does it work over the gut at first.

Last couple of weeks, I'd been having a Tablespoon in the morning before class. I teach from 9-noon, and though we have "coffee break" I don't drink any coffee or tea nor have any of the snacks. So I don't usually have breakfast till well after noon:30, If I'm running errands that could get as late as 2pm, so the MCT helps keep me revving , without weighing in my stomach like food,till real hunger sets in. Makes it easier to get things done without worrying about buying lunch out or taking lunch or snacks along.

I might start taking some MCT oil before car trips, If I can get over the gut wrench. Nothing like gut wrench when driving through the boonies!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Oh, yes, there is definitely time needed to get used to it involved! I don't think I would risk it for a car trip, yikes!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #33

Okay! Time to go curl into a ball and groan for a while. Ugh, gut wrench! ( took my mct exactly an hour ago...) I might have to start taking it with shakes again, this is not convenient at all!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, sorry to hear! The first day was the worst for me, second somewhat bad, then I cut the dose in half and am OK.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #35

Thanks for the sympathy. In hindsight, I realized that the dose of Magnesium I had last night to fall asleep did not help the situation with the MCT oil later. I might have to half my dose as well, I'm not adjusting well to taking it straight! LOL

Took over an hour to get over myself.

I must have got the thermo effect cause I've been hanging out in front of fans all day!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooo, check out this excerpt from Mark's Daily Apple today:

Hi Mark,

What’s your take on liquid coconut oil (such as NuCo)? What do they do to the coconut oil so that it remains a liquid at room temperature?

Thanks for any insights you may provide.

Suzanne

Coconut oils are liquidized by removing the long chain fatty acids and leaving the medium chain triglycerides. The removal process is entirely physical and uses no chemicals or solvents. No mutant fats are created, and the medium chain triglycerides remain intact and unaffected. This is similar to MCT oil, which is usually made from a combination of coconut and palm kernel oils. MCTs have a number of benefits:

•They require less bile acid to digest, so people with impaired fat digestion can digest them more easily than longer-chained fats. MCTs actually increase the ability of a person to oxidize longer chained fats, too, making them especially useful for improving an impaired fat digestion (as well as burning body fat).

•They are converted readily into ketones regardless of the carbohydrate content of the diet, so people on a ketogenic diet can use MCTs to generate ketone bodies without having to eliminate most of their plant foods. If you know someone – a grandparent, perhaps – who could probably use some ketones in their lives for the cognitive benefits, it’s a lot easier to slip some MCTs into their morning coffee than it is to get them to switch to a ketogenic diet.

•They increase the metabolic rate, an effect that persists for about a week after ingestion.

•They seem to have beneficial effects on lipid and metabolic profiles. For instance, in men with high triglycerides, MCT-feeding improves blood lipids and reduces abdominal and overall body fat, and in type 2 diabetics, MCTs improve insulin sensitivity.

If there’s anything to worry about here, it’d be that since MCTs always naturally occur in the presence of other, longer-chained fatty acids and never in isolation, the doses found in these refined oils may be supraphysiological with undesirable or untoward metabolic effects. There’s the oft-reported intestinal upset and subsequent diarrhea that comes with large doses of medium chain triglycerides, but that’s also been reported with straight coconut oil and usually clears up after several days of eating it. While I doubt there’s anything else serious enough to worry about, especially with the proven benefits, it’s something to keep in mind. Myself, I prefer coconut oil to MCT oil.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 08-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #37
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I placed my MCT order last night!

I tried the Shangra-la Diet with walnut oil and it didn't seem to do much for me. I may try it again, or maybe I'll just add it to my green smoothie.

Does anyone use it before or during long workouts for the fast energy?
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you are interested, we are doing the MCT oil shots in my thread below, Shangri-La style! We are also combining with blanding down the diet overall and other recommendations by Stephan Guyenet. He says his and Seth Roberts are different methods to address leptin resistance. Come on over if you are interested:

Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #39

Yeah I learned about MCT oil while looking up epilepsy. It's fascinating all the benefits there are to it, from providing ketones, to easy digestion, malnutrition in children and elderly . Fascinating stuff it is. It's amazing that coconut oil was demonized so badly when it's so darn good for everything!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #40
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Yeah I learned about MCT oil while looking up epilepsy. It's fascinating all the benefits there are to it, from providing ketones, to easy digestion, malnutrition in children and elderly . Fascinating stuff it is. It's amazing that coconut oil was demonized so badly when it's so darn good for everything!
I agree. It is pretty eye opening when one realizes the big errors that have been made in the field of nutrition. Sadly, it continues.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
The talk of MCT oil has peaked my interest in it once again.

I do have some, but have not taken it in a very long while.

Guess I'll have to take the same precautionary measures as I did the first time I used it.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just tried to up my MCT oil dose. Couldn't sleep last night (too energetic) and side effects too. I'll have to skip the evening dose. I do need to sleep!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Ummm....it's been so long since I've taken it that I don't remember if it indeed gave me more energy.

I'll start again with it tomorrow because it's too late in the day now, just in case.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #44

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
What MCT oil are y'all taking? I was in Walgreen's today and noticed they had a few varieties of coconut oil. One was liquid and designed to stay liquid. It was 93% MCT, as opposed to the 63% with the coconut oil. Now I have coconut oil (I could bathe in it I have that much LOL) but would love to have appetite suppression. I have used the ptero and had high hopes of getting the appetite suppression from that. No such luck for me. I wonder if I use the 93% MCT oil it would be enough of the MCT to work?? Or if the expeller pressed coconut oil I have is good enough? That has no taste.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm using Now brand. I had no idea Walgreens carried it! It seems like that would work but it needs to be flavorless and taken shangri la style.

We have a thread going I linked above if you are interested.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I'm using Now brand. I had no idea Walgreens carried it! It seems like that would work but it needs to be flavorless and taken shangri la style.

already subbed My expeller pressed is flavorless, that is what expeller pressed is. My virgin coconut oil is the one that tastes like coconuts. But I wonder if the low content of the mcts are still good. I shall try it tomorrow! And next time I am in Walgreen's I shall get that one.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
already subbed My expeller pressed is flavorless, that is what expeller pressed is. My virgin coconut oil is the one that tastes like coconuts. But I wonder if the low content of the mcts are still good. I shall try it tomorrow! And next time I am in Walgreen's I shall get that one.
Oh I'm sure it will work then from your description.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #48
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post

My Now brand came today. Jeez-a-lou, it is a 32 oz bottle. I hope I like this stuff.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #49

Well, I used 2 TBL of the expeller pressed oil yesterday. An hour before meals and it worked!!! I am amazed. I don't know if it worked because of the fact I am sick as a dog, or if I just got the appetite suppression, but I will take it!! I didn't even eat lunch yesterday, didn't feel a need to eat. And that is quite unusual for me. Gonna continue with this for a while to see how I adjust. Hopefully it continues to work.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121/118-123
WOE: my way
Quote:
Well, I used 2 TBL of the expeller pressed oil yesterday. An hour before meals and it worked!!! I am amazed. I don't know if it worked because of the fact I am sick as a dog, or if I just got the appetite suppression, but I will take it!! I didn't even eat lunch yesterday, didn't feel a need to eat. And that is quite unusual for me. Gonna continue with this for a while to see how I adjust. Hopefully it continues to work.
Wonderfiul Dawn Feel better

I still can't believe how great this is working for me. I have to pinch myself everyday

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-09-2013 at 09:03 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes, yes! I hope it is the oil and not the illness.

Feel better!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #52

Well, y'know more than 60% MCT naturally, Coconut oil would have the same effect. The only "benefit" to MCT oil would be the absences of Long chain fatty acids and there is no need for that in most diets here.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #53

Quote:
Well, y'know more than 60% MCT naturally, Coconut oil would have the same effect. The only "benefit" to MCT oil would be the absences of Long chain fatty acids and there is no need for that in most diets here.
I have been eating much less this past week. Still sick though, so still not sure if it is my cold from he** I have caught or the oil. But still taking the oil. Actually I have dropped to 1 TBL per day, it works that well. Like KT stated, I believe the key is the timing. I was taking my oil previously on a full stomach and felt it didn't do anything for me. But this taking it 1 hour before eating (and while not eating before hand too) it is working!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #54

and it doesn't bother your tummy? Man, I'm gonna have to give up my title of having the Iron Stomach.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn,

I hope it is the oil and not illness at work. Keep us posted!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #56

Quote:
and it doesn't bother your tummy? Man, I'm gonna have to give up my title of having the Iron Stomach.
No. No issues whatsoever. But I have been taking coconut oil (on and off) for a long, long time. I oil pull with it too.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #57

Funny, I can take CO on empty but not MCT... Oil pulling is cool!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Funny, I can take CO on empty but not MCT... Oil pulling is cool!
Well, I don't have mct. I am using the expeller pressed coconut oil. I don't even have to use the mct, because the co is doing such a good job of cutting down the appetite. I didn't even use it this morning because I wanted to eat breakfast I did take 1 TBL before lunch though.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121/118-123
WOE: my way
Dawn, I am happy to hear that you are getting AS with the oil
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote