Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cmachk
GLA/CLA

Hi everyone! I've been gone quite some time but I'm finally back! I've noticed the GLA/CLA threads have gone dry...is anyone still taking this combo? I also wondered if GLA and borage oil are the same thing or do I need to take both with the CLA? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cmachk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loveispeakincode
Stats: 180/132/127
WOE: Somersize/Atkins
Start Date: (around) 4/1/2010
I believe gla is in the borage oil. i dont have my bottle in front of me but I take 4 of them a day and 5 clas.I'm starting this combo again too so all imput will be awesome.
loveispeakincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I will def post progress, if any! I'm trying to be optimistic and thinking what can it hurt? Right thanks for at least responding!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I took it last summer and it really helped me feel slimmer..maybe it was all in my head but the energy is awesome too. Let me know if you have any headaches...I think I might be getting them from l glutamine I've been taking. I started taking that in the am with the gla/cla and in the afternoon before lunch.. and it seems by the time 6 comes around my head is hurting :\ but the l glutamine really curbs my appetite so I don't want to let it go ha
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Today was my first day taking it and I thought around lunch time I was noticing the beginnings of a headache but, it didn't last. Will see what happens tomm and let you know
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks,you rock.good luck!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
I'll start it again tomorrow and post with you all. It has helped me in the past.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Cool beans :]
Today i took the combo and the l-glutamine but not at the same time (glutamine about an hour after combo) and no headache :] appetites been pretty controlled too,even though I'm close to TOM.yayyy
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Hi again! I've now been taking the gla/cla everyday and NO problems. Not sure if it's working or not but...no headaches lol
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

meant to post back too...i really think it was taking ALL of them together with the l-glutamine...and i was taking it on an empty stomach..bc im not always the brightest.
but i've been doing good since i changed how & when i take them. my appetite seems to be under control (thank God) but i havent gotten back on the scale or measured..will do so friday & see if i've lost anything this week :]
keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

ps- glad you're doing well with it.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Just got Natrol Tonalin CLA 1200mg late afternoon today. My daughter told me she had used it and it worked so thought I'd give it a try.

I took a softgel before dinner with a little bit of milk and it seemed to suppress my appetite.

BTW, I had read a lot of reviews on this brand and many said to take it with a bit of milk before meals to prevent any side effects as headaches or diarrhea.

After reading all the older posts regarding using Borage Oil with CLA, I'll get some in a few days. Kind of want to see if the CLA works for me alone.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Harriet61
I will def post progress
Harriet61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I wonder what happens when one eats carbs while taking CLA.

Although the first evening I took CLA, it seemed to suppress my appetite, not since then though. If I eat less, then I'm hungry in a few hours. Don't know what good it does if I'm eating every few hours.

Do those of you taking the combo find any suppression of appetite?

I also wonder what happened to ALL the people that were taking it or beginning to take the combo? (reading old posts)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I cant tell if its the gla/cla combo or the l-glutamine that helps my appetite the most. i feel like the cla/gla helps it a bit when i take it when i eat..but i cant tell if its just the supplements making my stomach uneasy that makes me not want to eat as much right then..or if they actually suppress it... you know? sometimes i'll take them and feel like i have a huge gas bubble..making eating not so enjoyable..the l-glutamine seems to be the best/most useful supplement i'm taking right now..but i do think that the combo has helped me feel a little less puffy & helped with my overall bloat...and i am finally seeing the scale move in the right direction so maybe they all are helping a bit. or maybe its all in my head & i'm too afraid to ditch the supplements right now bc i'm getting married in 18 days (AHHHH) & dont want to undo any of my hard work..ha.

i also wonder about all the old posters..seems like they all just disappear..or loose interest in whatever as soon as something "more promising" or new comes along.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kel1183
Stats: 200/190/150
WOE: Atkins + keto combo (depending on activity level)
Start Date: March 2011
Does anyone know if you have to take a GLA/CLA combo? Or can you just do one or the other?
kel1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I've tried to take the tonalin cla a few times over the years and they make me sick to my stomach no matter what time I take them, with or without food, etc.
Any ideas?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

do you take all 5 at once? i've found when i take 3 in the am & 2 in the afternoon with food it helps..but when i take all 5 AND the 4 gla..my gut hates me.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Yes I was taking them all at the same time. I may try again and split it up. Thanks
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

That made the difference for me. Hope it helps :]
Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

My Natrol directions say to take three times a day with meals so that's what I do. I was taking them right before I ate with a bit of milk (hate milk), but lately forget because mind gets busy preparing food so taking them after I eat. I haven't seen any difference.

But speaking of difference, all I can tell so far is more muscle mass. However, I haven't been eating Atkins way as I bought too much no no foods last Friday so not eating right. I'll run out of those by Friday and will start eating right then I can post results in about a week.

I hope the rest of you post results. Harriet said she would.

Loveispeak, Congratulations on your wedding! Sounds like the combo worked great for you over time.

I'm going to stick with just the CLA for a month and see what results I have. I'm not advising anyone else to do the same as the Natrol CLA is stronger than the ones one can get at Walmart. Unfortunately, costier too.

Last edited by Sharss; 04-18-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rinnelle
CLA/GLA

I JUST BOUGHT THESE SUPPLEMENTS, DO I TAKE THEM TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME OR DO I HAVE TO TAKE THEM AT SEPARATE TIMES
rinnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Just an update. After also reading the thread I bumped up, I decided to add the GLA because those who just took CLA by itself weren't getting good results. I think this is because it just takes longer to kick in.

So I've been taking the combo since Thursday. Today is the fourth day. I also started taking 2 CLA/1 GLA after meals twice a day. Morning and lunch.

I made the change because I have a terrible sleep problem as it is and I read in an earlier post that someone else did this because it interfered with her sleep.

I'll see how this next week goes and if necessary, I will up the GLA to two twice a day along with the CLA.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I take 4 borage oils and 3 cla in the am then 2 more clas at lunch.
and im soooo mad at myself..I left both bottles of pills in my truck today and they melted together. Ughhhhh.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveispeakincode View Post
I take 4 borage oils and 3 cla in the am then 2 more clas at lunch.
and im soooo mad at myself..I left both bottles of pills in my truck today and they melted together. Ughhhhh.
Yikes! Your pills melting together! Sorry about that.

Interesting that your take more borage oils than CLA. You must have a reason for it so do you mind sharing?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Honestly that was the recommended amounts I read on one of these boards along time ago. Ive been thinking about upping my cla but I didn't want to waste it...you know? Don't know if taking more will make it work better or if ill just pee it out.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveispeakincode View Post
Honestly that was the recommended amounts I read on one of these boards along time ago. Ive been thinking about upping my cla but I didn't want to waste it...you know? Don't know if taking more will make it work better or if ill just pee it out.
hmmm...true, loveispeak, I read the same thing - 1000 mg GLA.

When I was at the supersupplement store, the gal told me she took either 6 or 8 (don't remember which) CLA, but she was also taking a product called PGX Daily with the CLA to lose weight after her baby was born. I didn't have the nerve to up the CLA that much.

I had a bad experience this morning that goes to show how different our bodies are and how we have to experiment to find our nitch. After breakfast, I upped the GLA to two along with two CLA and man, it went right through me. Now I do have issues with diarrhea as it is so I'm sure that's part of it plus it could have been my breakfast of eggs, bacon, and coffee.

Needless to say, I'll just stick to the two GLA a day.

My diarrhea issue is why I couldn't even begin to try the PGX Daily even though it looked like it would really work, but my bod doesn't tolerate fiber either.

BTW, pants are looser then when I began CLA and I'm back down to my beginning weight. I had gained 4lbs due to eating those high salt carbs like mac and cheese. Dumb move on my part for sure, but at least I knew it was me blowing it and not the supplements. Apparently even though my salt weight went up, there was still fat loss.

So I'm a happy camper!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

awesome! i'm afraid to up the cla for the same reasons...but i think today i'll try my regular 3 in the morning then add an extra one this afternoon, bringing me to 6 for the day.
glad to hear about your pants fitting better! that is ALWAYS a plus.
i get mine at wal mart. i cant find borage oil anywhere else in town actually and the cla is like 5 bucks cheaper there than walgreens..my favorite store ever haha
Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Jeez, my Walgreens doesn't carry either product.

If you get your CLA at Walmart, does it have 750mg of CLA? That's what some of the older posters that got theirs from Walmart said theirs did. Mine has all 1200mg CLA which makes a difference too. So I'm taking 4800mg/day since I'm taking four a day.

I have to run into supersupplements store today so hopefully I see the same gal and can ask her how many mg her CLA was. If I boost mine up to six I'd be taking 7200mg.

BTW, check out their online store - fabulous prices. Cheaper than in store prices which are fabulous too - just not as fabulous - but only a few blocks from where I live.

loveispeak, thank you so much for adding to this thread. It helps knowing what others are doing.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

hmm...this cla from wal mart says this..

serving size 2 softgels
tonalin safflower oil 2g (2000mg)
contains 72-82% CLA

& i'm taking 5 a day..am i getting enough? i know the label on the kind from walgreens matched what the other board said i needed..& silly me didnt think to check the math on the walmart kind..& i dont have a walgreens bottle to compre the two..dang it.

i'll have to check out the online store..i've been meaning to start getting online & making one big order for supplements each month bc i'm sure its cheaper i've just been super busy & stressed & i feel like im ALWAYS at walmart these days so getting them there has been easiest for now.