Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: masonjarjar
Stats: 260/219/185
WOE: Paleo / Low-carb
Start Date: February 2012
thinking of taking 5-HTP

Has anyone had experience with this suppliment? It's supposed to be a serotonin enhancer, used to treat depression but also for weight loss..
masonjarjar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
Hi Mason,

I purchased a bottle of 100mg from Costco and started taking one a day this week. It's time released over 12 hours and I've been taking it with lunch. I'm not sure if its really working yet, or the 'placebo effect', but I am falling asleep faster at night but having a harder time getting out of bed in the morning. I'm awake, but just want to lay there and relax!

I'm not using it to lose weight- just to regulate mood and reduce appetite/cravings (which it seems to be working for that too!)

Please post if you decide to try it and how it goes for you.

Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Christian
Stats: 217/217/180
WOE: atkins/myown
Start Date: 10/01/2008
I take 5HTP fairly regularly, mainly as a mood enhancer. I usually take it during the day at lunch with food. I can't say it's had much effect on my appetite. But luckily it's not very expensive so you can buy it and experiment without a huge investment.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bear84
Stats: 464/374/240
WOE: Carb Cycles
Start Date: March 2012
Some folks take it and Phenterine, or Phen-Pro(zac). I know of a few people who have taken it instead of the prozac for depression and have had no real issues.

I've considered picking some up and giving it a shot. I have trouble falling asleep, but I also already have trouble waking up, and if I just want to lay there, that's not gonna be a good thing, haha.
bear84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I happen to have started it last week due to some anxiety etc on the rec of my chiropractor. Before I started them I would wake every hour or two, but now I am sleeping HARD. I seem to not be as anxious and haven't had a tension headache in a week. WOO HOO. I also noted decreased hunger. And I am taking it with dinner. I would say, for me, it is working and I like it.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I love this stuff.. I take it and st johns wort.
I believe it prob saved my marrage.. I can get very depressed and now that I take my mood enhancing cocktail Im sold on it.

I take 100mg with my morning vitimans and 200mg at bedtime
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AlphaBeth1017
Stats: 150/144.5/130
WOE: Atkins/vlc
Start Date: Febuary 2010
5 htp helps me

been taking it for a few months.. definitely reduces anxiety, helps me fall asleep at night and seems to help with appetite.. I just feel less inclined to eat quickly even if I'm really hungry.. naturally, this helps me eat less..
I agree, try it and see.. I did have headaches (mild) when I first started it.
AlphaBeth1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Just started taking it yesterday and within 20 minutes, could feel a real difference in neck and upper body tension. Killed a stress/neck headache this afternoon. It appears to most effective when taken 20 minutes before or after eating. Not WITH protein.
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
I took this last year and had to stop because it increased my heartrate and made my anxiety worse. Same thing happened to my sister. My doc thinks it's because my issue isn't with serotonin but dopamine, so if I ever have to take anything I'm better off with Wellbutrin. Good luck!
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
I took this last year and had to stop because it increased my heartrate and made my anxiety worse. Same thing happened to my sister. My doc thinks it's because my issue isn't with serotonin but dopamine, so if I ever have to take anything I'm better off with Wellbutrin. Good luck!
If your issue is with dopamine, you might be helped by the amino acid L-tyrosine. Unless you have panic attacks, in which case I'd tread lightly. I can take a tiny 50mg dose and be ok but 500mg is generally the lowest therapeutic dose you can find and that's too much for my panic disorder. YMMV.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
Thanks Mountaingirl30.

Recently my doc did this new test where they swab the inside of your cheek and send it to a. The results will tell you which antidepressants will work best for you. Mine came back Wellbutrin, Effexor and a couple of others.

Sorry, got a bit off-topic here.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: han1cka
Stats: 207.5/156.5/135
WOE: LC, NK
Start Date: March 09
I take 5-HTP for about 2 years now. Mostly for sleeping problems, used to wake up every 2 hours. Sleeping is better, deeper, more dreams :-). But for the last two weeks, I have a strangely fast heartbeat at night, right before I drift to sleep. By googling, I have realized, that it might be a side effect of 5-HTP. Will try to pinpoint other supplements, as I probably take too many :-(

Take care
han1cka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 277/250/150
Just started taking it this week and I'm so amazed that my sugar cravings are GONE! Feel l like I'm f i n a l l y able to get back on track without struggling with my carb demons.
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jeepnbeep
Dosage

Hi. I have been thinking about taking it for appetite suppression. Have issues with occasional binging. What dosage is recommended and how many times?

Also thinking about giving it to my husband, and do males generally take more dosage?

I read somewhere that one shouldn't take it for migraines. Does anyone with migraines take it and have any issues with it?

Thanks.
jeepnbeep is offline   Reply With Quote