Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   thinking of taking 5-HTP (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/759055-thinking-taking-5-htp.html)

masonjarjar 02-22-2012 11:54 AM

thinking of taking 5-HTP

Has anyone had experience with this suppliment? It's supposed to be a serotonin enhancer, used to treat depression but also for weight loss..

Salamander 02-24-2012 11:26 AM

Hi Mason,

I purchased a bottle of 100mg from Costco and started taking one a day this week. It's time released over 12 hours and I've been taking it with lunch. I'm not sure if its really working yet, or the 'placebo effect', but I am falling asleep faster at night but having a harder time getting out of bed in the morning. I'm awake, but just want to lay there and relax!

I'm not using it to lose weight- just to regulate mood and reduce appetite/cravings (which it seems to be working for that too!)

Please post if you decide to try it and how it goes for you. :clap:

Sally

Christian 02-28-2012 08:38 PM

I take 5HTP fairly regularly, mainly as a mood enhancer. I usually take it during the day at lunch with food. I can't say it's had much effect on my appetite. But luckily it's not very expensive so you can buy it and experiment without a huge investment.

bear84 02-29-2012 12:54 PM

Some folks take it and Phenterine, or Phen-Pro(zac). I know of a few people who have taken it instead of the prozac for depression and have had no real issues.

I've considered picking some up and giving it a shot. I have trouble falling asleep, but I also already have trouble waking up, and if I just want to lay there, that's not gonna be a good thing, haha.

sya_unit 03-03-2012 05:46 PM

I happen to have started it last week due to some anxiety etc on the rec of my chiropractor. Before I started them I would wake every hour or two, but now I am sleeping HARD. I seem to not be as anxious and haven't had a tension headache in a week. WOO HOO. I also noted decreased hunger. And I am taking it with dinner. I would say, for me, it is working and I like it.

QueenBacon 03-06-2012 04:55 PM

I love this stuff.. I take it and st johns wort.
I believe it prob saved my marrage.. I can get very depressed and now that I take my mood enhancing cocktail Im sold on it.

I take 100mg with my morning vitimans and 200mg at bedtime

AlphaBeth1017 03-07-2012 01:04 PM

5 htp helps me

been taking it for a few months.. definitely reduces anxiety, helps me fall asleep at night and seems to help with appetite.. I just feel less inclined to eat quickly even if I'm really hungry.. naturally, this helps me eat less..
I agree, try it and see.. I did have headaches (mild) when I first started it.

quietnite 01-16-2013 02:08 PM

Just started taking it yesterday and within 20 minutes, could feel a real difference in neck and upper body tension. Killed a stress/neck headache this afternoon. It appears to most effective when taken 20 minutes before or after eating. Not WITH protein.

coffeelover 01-18-2013 12:19 PM

I took this last year and had to stop because it increased my heartrate and made my anxiety worse. Same thing happened to my sister. My doc thinks it's because my issue isn't with serotonin but dopamine, so if I ever have to take anything I'm better off with Wellbutrin. Good luck!

mountaingirl30 01-19-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeelover (Post 16204608)
I took this last year and had to stop because it increased my heartrate and made my anxiety worse. Same thing happened to my sister. My doc thinks it's because my issue isn't with serotonin but dopamine, so if I ever have to take anything I'm better off with Wellbutrin. Good luck!

If your issue is with dopamine, you might be helped by the amino acid L-tyrosine. Unless you have panic attacks, in which case I'd tread lightly. I can take a tiny 50mg dose and be ok but 500mg is generally the lowest therapeutic dose you can find and that's too much for my panic disorder. YMMV.

coffeelover 01-19-2013 03:27 PM

Thanks Mountaingirl30.

Recently my doc did this new test where they swab the inside of your cheek and send it to a. The results will tell you which antidepressants will work best for you. Mine came back Wellbutrin, Effexor and a couple of others.

Sorry, got a bit off-topic here.

han1cka 01-25-2013 07:08 AM

I take 5-HTP for about 2 years now. Mostly for sleeping problems, used to wake up every 2 hours. Sleeping is better, deeper, more dreams :-). But for the last two weeks, I have a strangely fast heartbeat at night, right before I drift to sleep. By googling, I have realized, that it might be a side effect of 5-HTP. Will try to pinpoint other supplements, as I probably take too many :-(

Take care

muncheechee 02-07-2013 06:38 PM

Just started taking it this week and I'm so amazed that my sugar cravings are GONE! Feel l like I'm f i n a l l y able to get back on track without struggling with my carb demons.

jeepnbeep 02-08-2013 03:44 AM

Dosage

Hi. I have been thinking about taking it for appetite suppression. Have issues with occasional binging. What dosage is recommended and how many times?

Also thinking about giving it to my husband, and do males generally take more dosage?

I read somewhere that one shouldn't take it for migraines. Does anyone with migraines take it and have any issues with it?

Thanks.