Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Supplements or Vitamins for anxiety and mood swings?

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any supplements or vitamins that would help with anxiety and mood swings? I've been having quite a bit of both lately and it's really effecting my relationship. I don't want to go on anti-depressants again, was on Lexapro for 6 months and that's when I started gaining all my weight back. I just need something to help take the edge off. Any suggestions. TIA.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Magnesium and cod liver oil or krill oil are often used. I use the afibbers recipe for the magnesium mixture from seltzer water and milk of magnesia. The afibbers site has the recipe, as well as much info on magnesium. I also take magnesium malate. Eating sardines, wild salmon, herring, mackerel, etc., are good ways to get more Omega 3 without too much Omega 6, which helps with feeling stable and cheery. Also, lots of sunshine, or take Vitamin D (make sure the carrier oil is olive, and not soybean).

If getting out in the sun isn't easy to do, then one of those ultra lux lamps designed for those who get horrid winter blues is helpful.

Dr. Emily Deans' blog has much to say about this. It's called Evolutionary Psychiatry. I'm not at my own computer and don't know how to cut and paste the link to her blog from this computer.

I find eating very low carb (fewer than 30 grams/CHO/d or mostly fewer than 20g/CHO/d) improved my feeling well, poised and positive, in a very nice way. (And staying off all processed foods, additives, artificial anything, etc.)

Hope this helps a bit.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you. I always tend to eat VLC anyways. I've done some research and it seems like a lot of people take Sam-E and 5htp. I'm thinking about trying Sam-E because it seems a bit safer. I have to do something.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Vitamin D is supposed to be an anti-depressant. Sitting in the sun sure elevates my mood.

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
Please read The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure by Julia Ross

She has individual chapters on each deficiency and helps you to create a customized plan to meet your specific needs.

I love her book, it has helped me tremendously!
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
I find 5-HTP helpful. If you do a reach on this board you should find info about it. I hope you find something that works.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
melatonin was recommended by Dr. Atkins

in one or more of his books. You might also try chamomile tea. We were concerned about you. So relieved to see you again. Getting stress down is quite important. Stress generates higher cortisol levels which impede weight loss. There are many things one can do to relieve stress as well. a nice bubble bath (for 2 even better). Listening to your fave music. Nice long walks (with the bubble bath colleague even better). I could go on an on. Your not posting ups my stress level too.Stay in the loop. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedbody View Post
Please read The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure by Julia Ross

She has individual chapters on each deficiency and helps you to create a customized plan to meet your specific needs.

I love her book, it has helped me tremendously!
Thank you I will try to find those.

Coffee-I have read a little about it on here and the internet but it doesn't seem to be as safe, from what I have read, as SamE.

Flat-my "colleague" is causing most of the stress Lol. I will try not to disappear again.

Last edited by MsWoods; 10-31-2011 at 10:35 AM..
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: errihu
Stats: 290/242/165
WOE: Paleo/Atkins/HCG R2 Jan 4
Start Date: January 25, 2011
I've been using melatonin for over a year and it's really helped stabilize moods - largely because I now SLEEP at night and spend less time sleep deprived and angsty from that. I've recently added 5-HTP to my regime and have to mention that it's helped me STAY asleep and seems to have helped with day-to-day stability.

Previously, I had symptoms that were borderline unipolar depressive. Since cutting out wheat, these symptoms have disappeared entirely. I don't know if you have reincorporated grains into your diet, but if you are prone to depression you might want to consider never re-introducing glutinous grains.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I take 5htp, magnesium, lots of Vitimin D, st johns wort, and omega 3's

and i have noticed I need to avoid soy, and birth control like the plague because they turn me into psycho crazy heated angry woman from hell..
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meg2039
Stats: 218/186/155
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 11/2/13
Hi,
My OB/GYN recommended Fish Oil (omega 3's), Vitamin B Stress Complex and Vitamin D for anxiety/depression. I've been taking it a few weeks and it seems to help a bit.
I did try Sam-E a little bit a go. I had trouble with insomnia, and felt actually more anxious, so I stopped that. YMMV of course!
Meg
Meg2039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any supplements or vitamins that would help with anxiety and mood swings? I've been having quite a bit of both lately and it's really effecting my relationship. I don't want to go on anti-depressants again, was on Lexapro for 6 months and that's when I started gaining all my weight back. I just need something to help take the edge off. Any suggestions. TIA.
Were you LC on Lex? dont be afraid of low dose benzos...klonopin, buspar, lorazepam, etc...vitually no side effects....others may disagree

Last edited by alligatorpie; 10-31-2011 at 11:52 AM..
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
My doctor recommended 5HTP to me several years ago for the mild depression I'd felt for most of my life. It has made a huge difference! I even tried weaning off awhile back to see if it really made a difference, and I could feel my "little black cloud" coming back around.

My doc started me out on 50mg, 2X a day, but said that after four weeks, if I didn't feel better, I could double it. I never needed to double it and now I just take one 100mg at night and it does the job.

Whatever you decide to try, I hope you'll feel better soon.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorpie View Post
Were you LC on Lex? dont be afraid of low dose benzos...klonopin, buspar, lorazepam, etc...vitually no side effects....others may disagree thing dont get better...
Yes I was LC on Lexapro but the medication made me just a shell of a person and I didn't give a crap about anything, hence no more depression and anxiety, I was a zombie. I do NOT want to go back on any kind of meds like that ever again in my life.

Kerry-I also try to avoid soy as much as possible because I'm hypothyroid.

Errihu-I hardly eat wheat/grains, but I am starting to think I have an allergy to them because my symptoms seem to get a little worse when I do eat anything like that.

Last edited by MsWoods; 10-31-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Old 10-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
My shrink recommends 1000 mg of fish oil a day. Other than that I have no advice that doesn't involve some pharmacutical. Big hugs, I pray that you feel better very soon.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clfrazier
Stats: 244/148/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 09/01/10
I am treated for depression and hypothyroidism. I am currently taking pristiq, tradazone and synthroid which are working pretty well. My doctor prescribed Deplin (high dose l-methylfolate) and I have added Magnesium, Krill oil, and Vitamin D. The supplements help with that little bit of lingering blues that that I would get. The supplements are making enough of a difference that my husband's friend commented the other day that he had never seen me so happy.

HTH,
Christine
clfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you. I am def. going to go the supplement route. My anxiety and sadness, I wont' call it depression because I know depression well and this isn't it, aren't too super bad but they are causing days of unpleasantness and I don't like it. I'm way more anxious than I was and I just want to feel normal again. I think I will try something besides 5htp first and see if something helps. I've read about quite a few unpleasant side effects.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carli
Start Date: March 7 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Thank you. I always tend to eat VLC anyways. I've done some research and it seems like a lot of people take Sam-E and 5htp. I'm thinking about trying Sam-E because it seems a bit safer. I have to do something.
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I was going to chime in about Sam-E. I've been taking it for quite a while and feel its helped me a LOT. Its pricy, Costco is the cheapest place to get it. A friend of mine takes it also, I can't
it enough.
Carli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

We don't have a Costco here but I'm going to try a local vitamin shop/health food store that I can usually get everything cheaper from. I decided I AM going to try SamE first and if it doesn't help, I'll try something else. Going to get some today for sure.

Carli-do you take a b complex vitamin with it? Everything I read said you should. I'm going to take it with my Womens 1 a day unless I find a different b complex vitamin at the vitamin store.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #20
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
Kava Kava. I wouldn't be without it.

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelveston
WOE: whole foods
Start Date: restart Jan '09
Omega 3's (fish oil), Vitamin D3, B-complex vitamins, daily exercise all help depression and mood swings.

My sister found a supplemental dose of lithium orotate to be helpful for her anxiety. She went off her anti-anxiety med to try it. See the details here -
Those who have suffered depression during LC...I need your help!!

More on lithium as a supplement here -

Lithium – The Misunderstood Mineral Part 1

Last edited by Chelveston; 10-31-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Chelveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
Ms Woods, I saw your post on the thyroid thread. I was in your shoes way back when I was on T4 only. I started getting really hyper, like I had 3 pots of coffee. I believe I had a high RT3. My body could not convert the Synthroid (T4) to the usable T3. I had to have T3 added to my regimen, and eventually went on it exclusively. My mood evened out almost immediately. You can be tested for it, or you can ask if it can be added to your T4.
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #23
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
It's good to speak to your doctor about all your concerns. Everyone's needs are so different. I have found relief with b complex, borage oil, also gaba and valarian once in a while.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Emmaline i will look into it.

I dont have a regular doctor because none of them would help me.

Last edited by MsWoods; 10-31-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I just started 5htp. Can you point me to the info regarding the negatives about it's use? Thanks
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

I searched yahoo im on my phone tonight but i will tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennbeingme
Stats: 180/158.4/135
WOE: lo carbing
Start Date: restart Sept 1/ 2011
Please don't start taking supplements without seeing a naturopathic doctor / practitioner first. I take 5-htp, D3, passionflower and adrenal support supplements all to combat anxiety, stress and depression- and WOW do they work. BUT you need to be sure that what you need is what you are taking ans well as the quality of the supplements themselves, as well as possible dangers or proper protocols of each. Supplements can help tremendously- but you should talk to someone first.
jennbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
My anxiety is handled quite well by GABA, I really feel the difference when I've forgotten to take it.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 10-31-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Magnesium malate is great for sleep, anxiety, and even bowel issues.

A good gaba formulation is GABA Relaxer by Country Life.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bob ross
Hi Tia,

I have had some anxiety for a bit now.. its getting better... Here is what has helped me.

one note.. this kinda scares me a little "
Quote:
I just need something to help take the edge off
"

ZERO.. i mean ZERO CAffienne... no tea.. no pop/soda ( ie Death in a can!! )... I;m a very heavy sleeper.. i would use caffienne to help wake me up.. BAD idea.. Very BAD.. i would get what i would call pressure headaches.. akin to Sinus headaches... they werent fun.. turn all the lights off.. put some kind of pressure on your forehead / eye socket.. maybe even create a alternate pain area to take you away from that one ..
( High concentrations of sugar.. ie candy bars..etc.. would do the same thing to me )..

I;ve heard Excersise is just as good if not as good as most medication. ( for depression.. also helped me w/ Anxiety )

Also Niacin has been used a lot for depression....

Anxiety seems that it can be exasperated by ones food choices.. but imho.. its largely mental... for me it was a matter of accepting it.. not fighting it ( as that makes it stronger... what you resist persists..etc.. ).. and the Biggest thing was NOT judging my thoughts... And i would have some truly horrible ones... They are just thoughts tho... when i stopped judging them And Reacting to them.. ( note this took years ).. they slowly diminished in power.. and are all but gone..

I Also during that time.. Changed my diet in rather revolutionary ways.... Now i will peel a cucumber.. and just munch on that... not becuase of how i weould feel if i Didnt do it.. but rather that i actually Like eating that way.... I listened to my body.. and i go w/ what it likes.. ( least i try to )..

I did buy a water distiller.. to have pure water at all times.. just purchased that tho.. its interesting seeing the scum left over after its done.. that im not drinking now.. and zero chlorine... zero pharmaceuticals in my water now.. it will even get rid of radioactive elements.. pretty cool

Anxiety Attacks .. was good to read for me.. LOTS of info.. as to why ( least some reasons ).. and how its triggered.... the fight or fight response.. etc.. I would def read all you can there.. ( if you ahvent already ).. will help a lot. ( well least did me )..

It's my personal opinion.. that the 'take a pill and it goes away' paradigm is bad.... your body can heal itself if given a chance and we take care of it.. feed it what it needs... Thus in the arena of Anxiety.. A pill mearly Masks the problem.. yes in Clinical extereme they may allow a person simply to even function... but i dont think you are quite there yet.. ( yes ? )... taking a pill to 'fix it' mearly puts off the inevitable... eventually having to deal w/ what is causing the anxiety.. ( or to put in another more direct manner .. Why YOU are creating said anxiety )..

also.. i'll just throw it out there.. but maybe Google.. The sedona Method.. DOnt have to buy their jazz.. but there are some good FREE videos on their sites... in a nutshell.. it helps with accepting and welcoming those things that we are pushing back / creating a wall for.. well it least it helped me.. so ill list it..

If theres anything you want me to elaborate on .. just hollar.. im an open book .. anything i can do to help just holla..

take care - josh.
bob ross is offline   Reply With Quote