Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Supplements or Vitamins for anxiety and mood swings? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/743671-supplements-vitamins-anxiety-mood-swings.html)

MsWoods 10-31-2011 08:40 AM

Supplements or Vitamins for anxiety and mood swings?

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any supplements or vitamins that would help with anxiety and mood swings? I've been having quite a bit of both lately and it's really effecting my relationship. I don't want to go on anti-depressants again, was on Lexapro for 6 months and that's when I started gaining all my weight back. I just need something to help take the edge off. Any suggestions. TIA.

Auntie Em 10-31-2011 08:59 AM

Magnesium and cod liver oil or krill oil are often used. I use the afibbers recipe for the magnesium mixture from seltzer water and milk of magnesia. The afibbers site has the recipe, as well as much info on magnesium. I also take magnesium malate. Eating sardines, wild salmon, herring, mackerel, etc., are good ways to get more Omega 3 without too much Omega 6, which helps with feeling stable and cheery. Also, lots of sunshine, or take Vitamin D (make sure the carrier oil is olive, and not soybean).

If getting out in the sun isn't easy to do, then one of those ultra lux lamps designed for those who get horrid winter blues is helpful.

Dr. Emily Deans' blog has much to say about this. It's called Evolutionary Psychiatry. I'm not at my own computer and don't know how to cut and paste the link to her blog from this computer.

I find eating very low carb (fewer than 30 grams/CHO/d or mostly fewer than 20g/CHO/d) improved my feeling well, poised and positive, in a very nice way. (And staying off all processed foods, additives, artificial anything, etc.)

Hope this helps a bit. :)

MsWoods 10-31-2011 09:11 AM

Thank you. I always tend to eat VLC anyways. I've done some research and it seems like a lot of people take Sam-E and 5htp. I'm thinking about trying Sam-E because it seems a bit safer. I have to do something.

freeman525 10-31-2011 09:37 AM

Vitamin D is supposed to be an anti-depressant. Sitting in the sun sure elevates my mood.

Janice

Tonedbody 10-31-2011 10:21 AM

Please read The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure by Julia Ross

She has individual chapters on each deficiency and helps you to create a customized plan to meet your specific needs.

I love her book, it has helped me tremendously!

coffeelover 10-31-2011 10:26 AM

I find 5-HTP helpful. If you do a reach on this board you should find info about it. I hope you find something that works.

flatferenghi 10-31-2011 10:33 AM

melatonin was recommended by Dr. Atkins

in one or more of his books. You might also try chamomile tea. We were concerned about you. So relieved to see you again. Getting stress down is quite important. Stress generates higher cortisol levels which impede weight loss. There are many things one can do to relieve stress as well. a nice bubble bath (for 2 even better). Listening to your fave music. Nice long walks (with the bubble bath colleague even better). I could go on an on. Your not posting ups my stress level too.Stay in the loop. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

MsWoods 10-31-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonedbody (Post 15137189)
Please read The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure by Julia Ross

She has individual chapters on each deficiency and helps you to create a customized plan to meet your specific needs.

I love her book, it has helped me tremendously!

Thank you I will try to find those.

Coffee-I have read a little about it on here and the internet but it doesn't seem to be as safe, from what I have read, as SamE.

Flat-my "colleague" is causing most of the stress Lol. I will try not to disappear again.

errihu 10-31-2011 11:22 AM

I've been using melatonin for over a year and it's really helped stabilize moods - largely because I now SLEEP at night and spend less time sleep deprived and angsty from that. I've recently added 5-HTP to my regime and have to mention that it's helped me STAY asleep and seems to have helped with day-to-day stability.

Previously, I had symptoms that were borderline unipolar depressive. Since cutting out wheat, these symptoms have disappeared entirely. I don't know if you have reincorporated grains into your diet, but if you are prone to depression you might want to consider never re-introducing glutinous grains.

QueenBacon 10-31-2011 11:25 AM

I take 5htp, magnesium, lots of Vitimin D, st johns wort, and omega 3's

and i have noticed I need to avoid soy, and birth control like the plague because they turn me into psycho crazy heated angry woman from hell..

Meg2039 10-31-2011 11:26 AM

Hi,
My OB/GYN recommended Fish Oil (omega 3's), Vitamin B Stress Complex and Vitamin D for anxiety/depression. I've been taking it a few weeks and it seems to help a bit.
I did try Sam-E a little bit a go. I had trouble with insomnia, and felt actually more anxious, so I stopped that. YMMV of course! :)
Meg

alligatorpie 10-31-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 15136772)
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any supplements or vitamins that would help with anxiety and mood swings? I've been having quite a bit of both lately and it's really effecting my relationship. I don't want to go on anti-depressants again, was on Lexapro for 6 months and that's when I started gaining all my weight back. I just need something to help take the edge off. Any suggestions. TIA.

Were you LC on Lex? dont be afraid of low dose benzos...klonopin, buspar, lorazepam, etc...vitually no side effects....others may disagree

theredhead 10-31-2011 11:36 AM

My doctor recommended 5HTP to me several years ago for the mild depression I'd felt for most of my life. It has made a huge difference! I even tried weaning off awhile back to see if it really made a difference, and I could feel my "little black cloud" coming back around.

My doc started me out on 50mg, 2X a day, but said that after four weeks, if I didn't feel better, I could double it. I never needed to double it and now I just take one 100mg at night and it does the job.

Whatever you decide to try, I hope you'll feel better soon. :)

MsWoods 10-31-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alligatorpie (Post 15137426)
Were you LC on Lex? dont be afraid of low dose benzos...klonopin, buspar, lorazepam, etc...vitually no side effects....others may disagree thing dont get better...

Yes I was LC on Lexapro but the medication made me just a shell of a person and I didn't give a crap about anything, hence no more depression and anxiety, I was a zombie. I do NOT want to go back on any kind of meds like that ever again in my life.

Kerry-I also try to avoid soy as much as possible because I'm hypothyroid.

Errihu-I hardly eat wheat/grains, but I am starting to think I have an allergy to them because my symptoms seem to get a little worse when I do eat anything like that.

luvmybabyhead 10-31-2011 12:06 PM

My shrink recommends 1000 mg of fish oil a day. Other than that I have no advice that doesn't involve some pharmacutical. Big hugs, I pray that you feel better very soon.

clfrazier 10-31-2011 12:27 PM

I am treated for depression and hypothyroidism. I am currently taking pristiq, tradazone and synthroid which are working pretty well. My doctor prescribed Deplin (high dose l-methylfolate) and I have added Magnesium, Krill oil, and Vitamin D. The supplements help with that little bit of lingering blues that that I would get. The supplements are making enough of a difference that my husband's friend commented the other day that he had never seen me so happy.

HTH,
Christine

MsWoods 10-31-2011 12:35 PM

Thank you. I am def. going to go the supplement route. My anxiety and sadness, I wont' call it depression because I know depression well and this isn't it, aren't too super bad but they are causing days of unpleasantness and I don't like it. I'm way more anxious than I was and I just want to feel normal again. I think I will try something besides 5htp first and see if something helps. I've read about quite a few unpleasant side effects.

Carli 10-31-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 15136900)
Thank you. I always tend to eat VLC anyways. I've done some research and it seems like a lot of people take Sam-E and 5htp. I'm thinking about trying Sam-E because it seems a bit safer. I have to do something.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I was going to chime in about Sam-E. I've been taking it for quite a while and feel its helped me a LOT. Its pricy, Costco is the cheapest place to get it. A friend of mine takes it also, I can't
it enough.

MsWoods 10-31-2011 12:51 PM

We don't have a Costco here but I'm going to try a local vitamin shop/health food store that I can usually get everything cheaper from. I decided I AM going to try SamE first and if it doesn't help, I'll try something else. Going to get some today for sure.

Carli-do you take a b complex vitamin with it? Everything I read said you should. I'm going to take it with my Womens 1 a day unless I find a different b complex vitamin at the vitamin store.

sugarless4life 10-31-2011 03:50 PM

Kava Kava. I wouldn't be without it.

Betty

Chelveston 10-31-2011 03:52 PM

Omega 3's (fish oil), Vitamin D3, B-complex vitamins, daily exercise all help depression and mood swings.

My sister found a supplemental dose of lithium orotate to be helpful for her anxiety. She went off her anti-anxiety med to try it. See the details here -
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vi...l#post13899498

More on lithium as a supplement here -

Lithium – The Misunderstood Mineral Part 1

Emmaline 10-31-2011 04:01 PM

Ms Woods, I saw your post on the thyroid thread. I was in your shoes way back when I was on T4 only. I started getting really hyper, like I had 3 pots of coffee. I believe I had a high RT3. My body could not convert the Synthroid (T4) to the usable T3. I had to have T3 added to my regimen, and eventually went on it exclusively. My mood evened out almost immediately. You can be tested for it, or you can ask if it can be added to your T4.

sistertzu 10-31-2011 04:15 PM

It's good to speak to your doctor about all your concerns. Everyone's needs are so different. I have found relief with b complex, borage oil, also gaba and valarian once in a while.

MsWoods 10-31-2011 04:15 PM

Thank you Emmaline i will look into it.

I dont have a regular doctor because none of them would help me.

jeaniem 10-31-2011 04:19 PM

I just started 5htp. Can you point me to the info regarding the negatives about it's use? Thanks

MsWoods 10-31-2011 04:24 PM

I searched yahoo im on my phone tonight but i will tomorrow.

jennbeingme 10-31-2011 04:25 PM

Please don't start taking supplements without seeing a naturopathic doctor / practitioner first. I take 5-htp, D3, passionflower and adrenal support supplements all to combat anxiety, stress and depression- and WOW do they work. BUT you need to be sure that what you need is what you are taking ans well as the quality of the supplements themselves, as well as possible dangers or proper protocols of each. Supplements can help tremendously- but you should talk to someone first.

Eliza_Jazz 10-31-2011 04:34 PM

My anxiety is handled quite well by GABA, I really feel the difference when I've forgotten to take it.

nolcjunk 10-31-2011 04:50 PM

Magnesium malate is great for sleep, anxiety, and even bowel issues.

A good gaba formulation is GABA Relaxer by Country Life.

bob ross 10-31-2011 05:41 PM

Hi Tia,

I have had some anxiety for a bit now.. its getting better... Here is what has helped me.

one note.. this kinda scares me a little "
Quote:

I just need something to help take the edge off
"

ZERO.. i mean ZERO CAffienne... no tea.. no pop/soda ( ie Death in a can!! :p )... I;m a very heavy sleeper.. i would use caffienne to help wake me up.. BAD idea.. Very BAD.. i would get what i would call pressure headaches.. akin to Sinus headaches... they werent fun.. turn all the lights off.. put some kind of pressure on your forehead / eye socket.. maybe even create a alternate pain area to take you away from that one :p..
( High concentrations of sugar.. ie candy bars..etc.. would do the same thing to me :p )..

I;ve heard Excersise is just as good if not as good as most medication. ( for depression.. also helped me w/ Anxiety )

Also Niacin has been used a lot for depression....

Anxiety seems that it can be exasperated by ones food choices.. but imho.. its largely mental... for me it was a matter of accepting it.. not fighting it ( as that makes it stronger... what you resist persists..etc.. ).. and the Biggest thing was NOT judging my thoughts... And i would have some truly horrible ones... They are just thoughts tho... when i stopped judging them And Reacting to them.. ( note this took years ).. they slowly diminished in power.. and are all but gone..

I Also during that time.. Changed my diet in rather revolutionary ways.... Now i will peel a cucumber.. and just munch on that... not becuase of how i weould feel if i Didnt do it.. but rather that i actually Like eating that way.... I listened to my body.. and i go w/ what it likes.. ( least i try to )..

I did buy a water distiller.. to have pure water at all times.. just purchased that tho.. its interesting seeing the scum left over after its done.. that im not drinking now.. and zero chlorine... zero pharmaceuticals in my water now.. it will even get rid of radioactive elements.. pretty cool :)

Anxiety Attacks .. was good to read for me.. LOTS of info.. as to why ( least some reasons ).. and how its triggered.... the fight or fight response.. etc.. I would def read all you can there.. ( if you ahvent already ).. will help a lot. ( well least did me )..

It's my personal opinion.. that the 'take a pill and it goes away' paradigm is bad.... your body can heal itself if given a chance and we take care of it.. feed it what it needs... Thus in the arena of Anxiety.. A pill mearly Masks the problem.. yes in Clinical extereme they may allow a person simply to even function... but i dont think you are quite there yet.. ( yes ? )... taking a pill to 'fix it' mearly puts off the inevitable... eventually having to deal w/ what is causing the anxiety.. ( or to put in another more direct manner .. Why YOU are creating said anxiety )..

also.. i'll just throw it out there.. but maybe Google.. The sedona Method.. DOnt have to buy their jazz.. but there are some good FREE videos on their sites... in a nutshell.. it helps with accepting and welcoming those things that we are pushing back / creating a wall for.. well it least it helped me.. so ill list it..

If theres anything you want me to elaborate on .. just hollar.. im an open book :).. anything i can do to help just holla..

take care - josh.