Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
I've been taking 3 g of L-Glutamine twice a day, on an empty stomach for about a week. I can see a slight reduction of appetite on some days, some days not.

But yesterday, WOW, I became really sick to my stomach and had to eat to combat the nausea and gastric pain. It turned out pretty ugly. Not sure if it was the L-Glutamine, but I'm thinking it was (the only new supplement I've added).

Anyone deal with nausea, gastric pain while using L-Glutamine?

I'm kinda afraid to take it again today....
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
I've been taking 3 g of L-Glutamine twice a day, on an empty stomach for about a week. I can see a slight reduction of appetite on some days, some days not.

But yesterday, WOW, I became really sick to my stomach and had to eat to combat the nausea and gastric pain. It turned out pretty ugly. Not sure if it was the L-Glutamine, but I'm thinking it was (the only new supplement I've added).

Anyone deal with nausea, gastric pain while using L-Glutamine?

I'm kinda afraid to take it again today....
I haven't had any issues, but some for ya!
tinatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Everything I've read is that l glutamine is for cravings-starchy or sugary ones not specifically to fight hunger.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loveispeakincode
Stats: 180/132/127
WOE: Somersize/Atkins
Start Date: (around) 4/1/2010
know this is an old post ..but..
Quote:
Hi!

Does anyone take L-Glutamine or 5HTP for appetite control?

If so, how much and when (with food / empty), morning, noon, or night?

NEED appetite control measures desperately! What I had been doing (for 60 lb loss, isn't working any more!!)
i started taking gtf chromium this week..so far so good..havent wanted sweets or really much of anything..but..i am only on day 2..but i'm pretty stoked about it so far.

anyways..i wouldnt feel right if i didnt mention this..
i was taking 5-htp earlier this year...it helped a bit with appetite control but-with side effects..
i was passing out at 8 pm bc it made me that "relaxed"
my sex drive- DOA (which i know this is tmi..but i'm STILL not the same as i was before i started taking it...uggggh)
i felt very...zoned out..i started taking it bc i was getting off of my adderall & needed something to help with the munchies, staying focused, & not being an anxious wreck..but really, when i look back on it now- i'd rather of pigged out & been a hyper worrier all day rather than zoned out, passed out, & dried up...

please be careful with it..i wasnt sure if it was what wrecked my libido or if it was my birth control pills..but when you google 5-htp side effects, low sex drive is one of the 1st ones to pop up...

sorry..but i cant even go to walgreens & see it on the shelf & not cringe a little bit...
not to say it wont work wonders for you..but it was NOT the answer for me..
loveispeakincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

I am loving 5 htp. Helps me sleep which helps my sugar stablize
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loveispeakincode
Stats: 180/132/127
WOE: Somersize/Atkins
Start Date: (around) 4/1/2010
i'm glad its working for someone!
:]
it def helps with sleeping though..just a bit too much for me :]
loveispeakincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lrichard
Hunger

Quote:
Hi!

Does anyone take L-Glutamine or 5HTP for appetite control?

If so, how much and when (with food / empty), morning, noon, or night?

NEED appetite control measures desperately! What I had been doing (for 60 lb loss, isn't working any more!!)
You may look into Lyle MacDonald's Guide to Flexible Dieting. I dieted (ketolow carb) down from 250lbs to 145 and 10%bf. I had perfect appetite control and could eat as little as 500 cal a day and not be ravenous. Then all of a sudden I started getting hungry and hungrier. To the point where I was obssesed with food, I tried to restrain myself, and did for a while. Finally it got too much to bear and someone suggested eating more fat until I was full (ie eat as much fat as you want until you're full). So I did and gained over 10lbs of noticable body fat in 1 month! So I tried going back to what had been working before this problem started but to no avail.

Then I cam accross carb refeeds and the benift of high carb low fat refeeds to spike leptin back to normal range, lower NPY and Grhelin. So far its been successful.

You're problem may be, and probably is, low leptin levels and high NPY. Its your bodies way of reacting to caloric restriction. Its a survival mechanism. Leptin decrease to allow NPY to increase signalinng your brain to crave food. In the mean time your body begins to down regulate your metabolism, thyroid function, etc to conserve energy, therefore your caloric expenditure plummets. Lyle explains it all in his book.

Also I've begun taking Bromocriptine once a day along with welbutrin and bitter orange, which helps to blunt my appetite.
lrichard is offline   Reply With Quote