Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
Epsom salt bath for magnesium supplementation?

Has anyone had good luck with this? Any noticeable changes?

I read about this in Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution and it struck me as interesting since he suggests you soak in epsom salts (or at least your feet, which I do from time to time) to obtain magnesium supplementation as your skin will grab what it needs and no more.
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Sounds interesting! I do know that 1TB of epsom salts to my bath help if I have particularly bad muscle aches after working out...

I take a 400mg magnesium tablet every night before bed as well...
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
I believe Dr Christiane Northrup recommends this as well. Think I heard her discuss it in one of her lectures.

I do it but not on a regular basis. I take the bedtime mag though to try to help sleep.
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I never keep up with it, but I might this weekend. Really wish I had a bathtub that could fit my fat behind... my wife can fit in it but it's too small for me
Next house... we're getting a jacuzzi in our master bathroom damnit!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I use magnesium oil now...
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
Are you still using the oil? And if so, how did it affect your skin. I read that for some it burns. I take the capsules, but am only recently reading the Magnesium Miracle and learned about the oil. Mag is one of those supplements that I can tell when I quit using it. I am trying to find the one that absorbs the best for me, the one I have now is the Aspartate. I do not get the loose stools that I did with the Calm powder, and I did not really like the taste of Calm, even though that is the one I used for the past few years.
lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I still use the oil. It doesn't cause a burn on your skin, more like if you shave and put it on it stings a little, really not much. Anyway, I just wait a few minutes after I dry off from my shower and put it on just at bed time. I love it, I have none of the diarrhea effects from it, if anything, I am more regular than ever before.

Last edited by steady; 10-11-2011 at 06:34 PM..
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Epson salt also contains sulfur which may be critical to weight loss.

Could Sulfur Deficiency be a Contributing Factor in Obesity, Heart Disease, Alzheimer's and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

huh, interesting article, thanks for posting!
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Yes that was an interesting article I just read it while soaking my feet in guess what?
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Yes that was an interesting article I just read it while soaking my feet in guess what?
Great idea, going to do this too

Interesting read "The Magnesium Miracle" Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D.
Got it from the library
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
This is an old thread but it is the only one I've found on the subject...

Are any of you still using Epsom Salts and/or magnesium oil or other trans-dermal methods to increase magnesium levels?

Have you noticed improvements in how you feel? More energy, leg cramps gone, sleeping better, etc.? There are so many symptoms & so many possible benefits from making sure one is getting enough magnesium.

I've been doing a lot of research on magnesium lately. Current science supports using Epsom Salts or other means of trans-dermal delivery for the best absorption of magnesium. It turns out that pills and such are not absorbed well at all. More & more people are using Epsom Salts baths and/or magnesium oil.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Thanks for reviving this thread, Deb!

I am drinking homemade bone broth regularly and find that this definitely seems to improve my overall wellbeing. I am ascribing it to the minerals that are in the broth, especially magnesium.

As for magnesium oil, haven't tried it yet. I take a magnesium tablet before bed. I do notice the difference when I don't take any, so I guess it helps for me.
When I have time I still make a mineral bath with epsom salts, to which I also add celtic salt and diatomaceous earth and a touch of lemon juice or ACV (to help with the minerals from the DE). It really relaxes me and makes my skin feel all nice and firm. Not sure if that is of any use to anyone, as I realise this is personal and totally anecdotal!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I still do the oil everyday. It's a habit now, just like brushing my teeth. I also do the Epsom Salts bath a few times a week.

The oil is some wonderful stuff! I get weird cramps on the tops of my feet when I do too much walking in sandals. Spraying the oil on really does make them go away.

The brand I use is not expensive. I have a big jug that has lasted me a long time.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #15

Mimosa, it does sound like what you are doing is working well for you. If you see a noticeable difference you should stick with it. I also like the idea of getting magnesium a few different ways. It seems that is rather like covering all your bases.

Erin, I am very interested in the oil. I almost ordered some but got overwhelmed trying to figure out which one was best. I may try it in the not too distant future.

I've known about the importance of magnesium ever since reading Protein Power LifePlan many years ago. Trying to figure out the correct amount and ratio to calcium kept overwhelming me & it was easy to let it go.

Mt latest research on magnesium was triggered by chronic pain in my ankle the last few months. I thought I would try soaking my feet in Epsom Salts to see if that might help. One thing led to another & there I was with 6+ tabs on my browser, all telling me how important magnesium is!

I've been soaking my feet for a few days with the goal of 30 minutes before bedtime but it feels good & relaxing so I have been soaking them for an hour.

I actually ended up ordering some liquid ionic magnesium. I discovered that it is actually one of the few types of magnesium you can ingest that is well-absorbed. It is supposed to contain nano sized magnesium particles sourced from ionized magnesium chloride. In English that supposedly means that 99% is absorbed.

I'm not sure how I'll use it yet. The taste is said to be strong, rather like magnesium citrate. A lot of people mix it in food or water & take it in micro-doses throughout the day rather than all at once. I'm also wondering about maybe using this plus the magnesium oil.

I hope my little magnesium supplementation experiment works & I see some good results. After my recent research I am convinced everyone could benefit from supplementing magnesium in these advanced ways.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #16

Wow...

I got my liquid ionic magnesium a few days ago & stated taking 1/2 t in a glass of water before bed. No noticeable taste. I was happy about that. No negative side effects at all.

Today, day 3, I added 1/2 t in a glass of water first thing in the morning. I waited to make sure this would not send me running to the bathroom - and it doesn't! Any time magnesium does that it means you're not absorbing it.

I'm almost afraid to share this for fear I'll jinx it...

I have suffered from fatigue for about 11 years. I corrected Vitamin B12 & D3 deficiencies and still had the fatigue. ...I have had no fatigue in two days even with less than perfect sleep. I'm not the energizer bunny yet but this is a very good sign. I hope it continues.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I do take supplements but I make and sell bath salts so I seem to have a never ending supply. I use them at least once a week. Depending on the oils I mix in will determine how long I soak, but I read fifteen minutes is good. I'm sensitive to the essential oils, but the salts help me so much. Never before have I felt so energetic after a warm bath. I also use dead sea salts and combine essential oils for whatever else ails me. I had a magnesium deficiency at one point. I haven't had my blood checked, but I'm certain I'm not deficient now. If only I knew before how easy it is...

Read me
And also...
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Wow...

I got my liquid ionic magnesium a few days ago & stated taking 1/2 t in a glass of water before bed. No noticeable taste. I was happy about that. No negative side effects at all.

Today, day 3, I added 1/2 t in a glass of water first thing in the morning. I waited to make sure this would not send me running to the bathroom - and it doesn't! Any time magnesium does that it means you're not absorbing it.

I'm almost afraid to share this for fear I'll jinx it...

I have suffered from fatigue for about 11 years. I corrected Vitamin B12 & D3 deficiencies and still had the fatigue. ...I have had no fatigue in two days even with less than perfect sleep. I'm not the energizer bunny yet but this is a very good sign. I hope it continues.
How's it going? Better sleep? Feel like wearing your Superwoman cape?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
How's it going? Better sleep? Feel like wearing your Superwoman cape?
I did not sleep better but today I moved my bedtime dose to late afternoon. I think I read that this form can be energizing instead of helping at bedtime like other forms. We'll see how tonight goes.

I'm still not feeling amazing but the fatigue hasn't shown up either. I'm working on the sleep & my nutrition is great so I am hoping it will all add up to feeling - and acting - like Superwoman very soon!

I requested The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean, MD, ND from my library & it should arrive from a nearby town tomorrow. I am looking forward to reading it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you enjoy the book. It's one of those books that you just want to make everyone read!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
Hope you enjoy the book. It's one of those books that you just want to make everyone read!
I think it will make me tell people, too. I'm already telling everyone they need to supplement magnesium! lol...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #22

The book from the library is the older version - The Miracle of Magnesium. It has good info but it is missing the info I was actually looking for. I'll probably end up ordering the book.

Good news...I am sleeping better. But I cut my iced tea out for a couple days & now I'm watching how much, if any, I drink.

Still no real fatigue but I can tell it is not quite gone, like it is lurking nearby. Today I increased my dosage to 1/2 t 3 times per day 20 or more before meals. I hope that will help to build it up in my system.

People would probably get annoyed if I gave them a bottle for Christmas, birthdays...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #23

I take back my comment about buying The Magnesium Miracle based on the following...

I found Dr Dean's ebook How to Change Your Life with Magnesium available to read for free online when I did a search for reviews on it. I'm reading it now. Below is a quote from the eBook:

Quote:
I 
learned 
about 
angstrom immediately 
after
 the 
publication 
of
 the
 second
 edition 
of 
The 
Magnesium 
Miracle 
(2007).
 So 
I
 wasn't 
able 
to 
write about 
it 
in
 that
 book.
She is referring to angstrom minerals. They are 99% absorbable, 7000 times smaller than red blood cells. The liquid magnesium I have contains ionic magnesium particles that are 0.1 nano meters in diameter, also known as 1 angstrom. Since she does not address it in The Magnesium Miracle I don't want to get that book.

Her eBook is meant to answer questions people have about magnesium & it is very helpful so far.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #24

I'm now taking the Ionic Magnesium 4 times per day - I added a bedtime dose back in with no problems. I read that it can keep some people awake at first if they are deficient. As it builds up to a better level that problem goes away.

The bad fatigue problems I've had in the past have not returned even after nights with too little sleep. I am still not an energizer bunny but that may come in time. I'm very happy & excited about the improvements I've seen in just two weeks.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #25

Magnesium supplementation continues to make a huge difference for me. It really does keep the fatigue away.

Last Sunday I went to visit a relative for the day. I did not finish my morning glass of water containing magnesium & forgot to add some to my water bottle to take with me.

I felt so tired all day! Not fatigued like I used to experience it but I was having a hard time functioning. I came home in the early evening and had to take a nap. I'm glad I only forgot to take it that one day.