Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   My GABA experiment: it hurt my toe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/705381-my-gaba-experiment-hurt-my-toe.html)

cleochatra 01-10-2011 05:16 PM

My GABA experiment: it hurt my toe

GABA, as you might or might not know, is an amino acid said to help with anxiety and makes for sleepy go night night when a deficiency exists within the body. It's generally a relaxant.

I've had some terrific luck with taking 5-HTP, an amino acid that helps with mood (thank you Dr. Ross) so why not add GABA to my regimen to see what happens? Taken at bedtime, it is said to help people sleep at night and feel generally better.

In fact, I took a GABA before bed last night to help me into a peaceful slumber.

And then the following happened.

Ten minutes later I was yelling, "Whoopieeeeeeeeeee!!!" and cleaning my room.
Two minutes after that I started yelling show tunes and dancing.
A minute after that I yelled, "LOOK! A SOCK!"
Three seconds later I yelled, "SOCKS ARE AWESOME!!!"
A minute after that I started jumping up and down on the bed.

My husband, who was trying to read in said bed, bounced up in the air every time I landed. He said, upon landing with every bounce, "Don't.... you.... think... you... could... hurt... your... self?"

And 30 seconds later, after I was done bouncing up and down on the bed, I booped him on the nose like this. BOOP.

Needless to say, I was extremely animated. EXTREMELY animated. My indoor voice turned into my party voice and I yelled almost everything I said for the next 30 minutes. And I was really animated. Did I mention animated? I sat in bed and jumped out of bed to run a few laps around the upstairs. Just because I could.

I opened the back door and stuck my head outside and I yelled, "I LOVE OUTSIDE!"

I bounced, booped, bounced some more, yelled, "WOW! This stuff is awesome!" My husband just folded his hands and looked at me. I had amazing focus, as well. When I wasn't bouncing, cleaning and yelling, I was reading and watching TV with incredible focus. I felt GREAT! I was invincible!

Eventually, thankfully, through the thoes of extreme spazziness, I was able to finally calm myself enough to sleep...

...eight hours later.

I was able to drift into slumber at 4:30 am. My right toe throbbed for no particular reason, my lips tingled and my heart was palpitating in my chest yelling BOOP! BOOP! HowyoulikemenowribsBOOP!

I performed a web search once I came to again later after sending the kids off to school and collapsing in bed until after noon. The side effects of GABA included tingling, a racing heart, and a few other bizarre side effects. Needless to say, it made my toe hurt and I doubt I'll ever take it again, but man, is my room clean.

Needless to say, the beauty of an amino acid is that if you need it, what should happens happens. If you don't, you experience a crazy, thrill-packed ride, but at least you know you're not deficient.... At least not in GABA.

jeaniem 01-10-2011 05:24 PM

:rofl: I guess there could be worse side effects.

I have tried a few of the suggestions from Ross and the most profound for me has been the tyrosine. Peps me up and makes me happier.

cleochatra 01-10-2011 05:36 PM

And that was with ONE capsule! Two and I would have been on the roof in my underpants.

cleochatra 01-10-2011 05:36 PM

I've heard amazing things about tyrosene.

sweet irony 01-10-2011 05:41 PM

I started taking GABA a few days ago. I am REALLY glad it didn't have the same effect on me. Wow Cleo.

cleochatra 01-10-2011 05:48 PM

The great thing about aminos is you know within literally minutes if you need it. This is the level of commitment I like!

SummerAnne 01-10-2011 07:52 PM

Sounds like fun! But I'm a little crazy anyway.

jessreadytolose 01-11-2011 12:13 PM

That is hilarious Cleo, I love your posts! I am now thinking twice about adding GABA to my supplement list, I will try the 5-HTP instead.

cleochatra 01-11-2011 12:26 PM

Thank you, jess! You should try both separately and see which (if either) works for you. Both may, neither may, but it's worth the one time shot to find out.

piratewoman 01-11-2011 12:33 PM

WOW, ILMAO, sorry but I need some of that. I know the side effects were awful but my what fun you had.

sweet irony 01-11-2011 02:28 PM

5-HTP is great as far as I'm concerned -- really helpful. But GABA is the end-all, be-all, missing-from-my-life, wonder-supplement. Cleo is right, trying the things that seem to fit in order to find the perfect fit is the way to go. Everyone is different, and since it's actual nutrition you're not likely to hurt anything as long as you follow the directions.

cleochatra 01-11-2011 02:30 PM

I love the rush! I'm tempted to take it again. I have another room to clean.

SummerAnne 01-11-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 14260196)
I love the rush! I'm tempted to take it again. I have another room to clean.

Oh, I would be tempted too, you aren't alone.

DiamondDeb 01-11-2011 08:55 PM

lol...well that sure wasn't the expected outcome, was it? Strange how we can react so differently to things.

Cleo, what dosage was that capsule?

I used to take GABA & 5-HTP at bedtime to relax so I could sleep. Never had anything but positive results.

That said, I could benefit from a pill to turn me into Ms Merry Maid... :laugh:

debkeversole 01-12-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 14256664)
GABA, as you might or might not know, is an amino acid said to help with anxiety and makes for sleepy go night night when a deficiency exists within the body. It's generally a relaxant.

I've had some terrific luck with taking 5-HTP, an amino acid that helps with mood (thank you Dr. Ross) so why not add GABA to my regimen to see what happens? Taken at bedtime, it is said to help people sleep at night and feel generally better.

In fact, I took a GABA before bed last night to help me into a peaceful slumber.

And then the following happened.

Ten minutes later I was yelling, "Whoopieeeeeeeeeee!!!" and cleaning my room.
Two minutes after that I started yelling show tunes and dancing.
A minute after that I yelled, "LOOK! A SOCK!"
Three seconds later I yelled, "SOCKS ARE AWESOME!!!"
A minute after that I started jumping up and down on the bed.

My husband, who was trying to read in said bed, bounced up in the air every time I landed. He said, upon landing with every bounce, "Don't.... you.... think... you... could... hurt... your... self?"

And 30 seconds later, after I was done bouncing up and down on the bed, I booped him on the nose like this. BOOP.

Needless to say, I was extremely animated. EXTREMELY animated. My indoor voice turned into my party voice and I yelled almost everything I said for the next 30 minutes. And I was really animated. Did I mention animated? I sat in bed and jumped out of bed to run a few laps around the upstairs. Just because I could.

I opened the back door and stuck my head outside and I yelled, "I LOVE OUTSIDE!"

I bounced, booped, bounced some more, yelled, "WOW! This stuff is awesome!" My husband just folded his hands and looked at me. I had amazing focus, as well. When I wasn't bouncing, cleaning and yelling, I was reading and watching TV with incredible focus. I felt GREAT! I was invincible!

Eventually, thankfully, through the thoes of extreme spazziness, I was able to finally calm myself enough to sleep...

...eight hours later.

I was able to drift into slumber at 4:30 am. My right toe throbbed for no particular reason, my lips tingled and my heart was palpitating in my chest yelling BOOP! BOOP! HowyoulikemenowribsBOOP!

I performed a web search once I came to again later after sending the kids off to school and collapsing in bed until after noon. The side effects of GABA included tingling, a racing heart, and a few other bizarre side effects. Needless to say, it made my toe hurt and I doubt I'll ever take it again, but man, is my room clean.

Needless to say, the beauty of an amino acid is that if you need it, what should happens happens. If you don't, you experience a crazy, thrill-packed ride, but at least you know you're not deficient.... At least not in GABA.

i gotta get me some of that though if i jumped on the bed i would break the supports!

cleochatra 01-12-2011 08:46 AM

Diamond-- It wasn't a big dose. Just 200mg.

Monk 01-12-2011 08:59 AM

That sounds like fun! lol! But I am curious, how will you know if you need them or not? I mean what signs do you look for? I am always wanting to get the full effects of supplements, but I am not sure where to start. I am totally lost on the omega 3-6-9 thing and what ratio I need, and what I am getting from my food.. I was taking the 5-htp and the first week was awesome, was taking it twice a day in the lower dose (I think 50) and then when I ran out the store only had the higher dose (either 100or200) whatever the daily max is.. anywho.. about a week into it, I started having nightmares. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I was dreaming that me and my puppy were being attacked by dogs and I could not wake up. Then I thought I woke up and I was in my room and realized I was still sleeping.. so scary! when I finally woke up in cold sweats I ran to the bathroom splashed cold water on my face and tossed the rest of my pills.

BUT I really did enjoy the 5-htp effects in the beginning.. totally confused!

cleochatra 01-12-2011 09:11 AM

Good question, Monk.

I get really excited talking about aminos, so ignore my hyperness.

According to Ross, the beauty of aminos is you know within minutes if you need them or not (about 15 minutes). If you need the amino, you are going to experience positive emotions and feelings (or at least nothing bad). If you are not deficient, you will often experience the opposite effect you were meant to have. If you take an amino for stress and you become become stressed as a result of the amino, you can place the amino aside. For me, I took GABA for anxiety and it made me spazz to the max. I placed the amino aside. The other beauty to aminos is you only need take them for as long as you need them, often less than a year (sometimes much less than that). For many (not all, since aminos can't work for everyone) healthy, low carb eating plus amino therapy makes for a happy, stable brain that can function, even after years of blood/brain barrier damage due to a poor diet.

Monk 01-12-2011 09:29 AM

Thanks Cleo, makes sense and it is getting clearer. I do have the mood cure, but have not read it yet, need to get the diet cure when I finish :)

kat819 01-12-2011 05:36 PM

Interesting. I'm so close to being dead, metabolically speaking, that I take it before bed and it makes me relaxed and sleepy. I take a lot, too -- 750 mg. I've never had any issue with insomnia, but then again, I'm taking the adrenal package -- GABA, 5-HTP, theanine, magnesium maleate and melatonin and I'm knocked out for the night.

What brand did you take? I take Source Naturals and it's never had anything of a stimulant effect on me. I gave it to my DD and I didn't notice that it stimulated her, either.

cleochatra 01-12-2011 10:21 PM

I tried the GABA again today so see if it acts differently in the sunlight, and I still had weird tingly stuff going on. And then this time, I zonked for four hours! I mean, it's one thing to get rid of anxiety; I can't afford to go comatose three times a day as Ross suggests. I can't seem to get consistent results for whatever reason.

If it has a stimulant effect, it just means my body doesn't need it. It's definitely an amino that doesn't work for everyone, like Tyrosene, phylalanine and 5-HTP. I like GABA for what it does for so many, and I'm fine with it not working for me.It means I must not have anxiety--or if I do, I need to try a different amino acid instead.But man, I loved the super focus I have on GABA!

DiamondDeb 01-13-2011 01:59 PM

Cleo, I wonder how you'd react to 100mg. That is the lowest recommended dose.

I seem to recall I was not able to find 100mg capsules of GABA. I've used GABA powder though. Maybe you could try half a capsule.

cleochatra 01-13-2011 02:51 PM

That could work, Deb! That is a super idea. Thank you. These are, in fact, capsules, so I could try pouring half out and seeing what happens. The 25 mg 5-HTP Ross recommends is really hard to find, too. I can only find 50 and 100mg supplements.

kat819 01-13-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 14268511)
Cleo, I wonder how you'd react to 100mg. That is the lowest recommended dose.

I seem to recall I was not able to find 100mg capsules of GABA. I've used GABA powder though. Maybe you could try half a capsule.

Kirkman Labs has capsules of GABA that are 150 mg. with inositol and niacinamide.

hippiegirl 01-13-2011 05:40 PM

Lol.

The first time I took GABA, I could literally feel my muscles relaxing - I had a LOT of tension. I really like it. I do wish I could find something that pepped me up magically - my kitchen really needs a good scrub down.

porcupine73 01-15-2011 06:11 PM

GABA is interesting. I combine it with active B-6 and tryptophan powder about 30 minutes before bedtime. It definitely is very relaxing and induces a dream like state. If I don't get into bed before it really kicks in I've found myself almost in a trance standing somewhere in the house staring at something for several minutes. It gives me a very restful night's sleep and when I awake in the morning I don't feel any after effects like I do if I take Benadryl or other products. The Country Life GABA Relaxer has a couple other thing in it with the GABA. It seems to work better for me than the plain GABA.

MamaSage 01-16-2011 02:13 AM

Before I got an accurate diagnosis, I was having anxiety attacks that were unbelievably debilitating. I had to take 750mg/night to get to sleep. Then, once I stabilized a bit, and my adrenal glands weren't so bonkers anymore, I took 500mg one night and didn't sleep well. I fell asleep, but while I was dreaming, it was like everything was "sped up". Like I was stressed out the whole night.

I take it as a good sign that I'm healing. :laugh:

sradford 01-16-2011 07:15 AM

Cleo: Sorry to hear that you had such an interesting experience with GABA.

Thank you for recommending The Diet Cure. I started 5-HTP on Friday, and GABA yesterday, and I feel like a totally different person. Calm. I haven't been calm... ever, I think. It's nice.

Edited to add: I think my husband is confused by the calmness... hehe!

cleochatra 01-16-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sradford (Post 14277511)
Cleo: Sorry to hear that you had such an interesting experience with GABA.

Thank you for recommending The Diet Cure. I started 5-HTP on Friday, and GABA yesterday, and I feel like a totally different person. Calm. I haven't been calm... ever, I think. It's nice.

Edited to add: I think my husband is confused by the calmness... hehe!

I'm so lad it's worked for you already! That's why I love aminos. They're immediate. :hugs:

Thanks for all of the comments, advice and experiences here you've shared. Believe me, I'm listening. :D

Auntie Em 05-15-2011 02:32 AM

Cleo, thanks very much for posting about your experiences with the GABA, and how the amino acids do various things if one needs them or not.

I've noticed that a little Tyrosine powder is very helpful. More than that little bit doesn't suit me.

It's good to know that GABA could be useful for house cleaning and dancing. ;)