Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I need to try the Tyrosine, still. I did purchase some, but I'm having a hard time giving up the caffeine for the powers of the amino right now. I need to try it on the weekend. I am glad to know it's working for you--that pushes me to try it.

I'm telling you, the GABA made me so hyper, but it made pain shoot out of my toes, which is so weird. Still, clean room. Woohoo!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Cleo, I tried taking more Tyrosine one day, and it was too much for me. I'm using the Source Naturals powder. I do all right with 1/8 teaspoon in the morning and some days, 1/8 teaspoon in the afternoon. One day took a teaspoon of powder divided over several hours, and was edgy and irritated the rest of the day, and worse the next day. (1/4 tsp. is 660 mg.) I find that 1/8 tsp. helps. I still drink tea, but Tyrosine alleviates the urge to drink three or four pots rather than one or two. It does seem to regenerate/nourish something from not sleeping well enough. I must not need much.

I need to clean house, so maybe GABA...

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-17-2011 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: added something
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Excuse me for being the Debbie Downer Doubting Thomas Devil's Advocate Skeptic that I am.....but...

Has anyone, Besided Cleo, actually taken GABA Exclusive of other supplements, and documented it's effects??

In other words, those who say it helps you sleep and relax, have you taken the GABA without Tryptophan, or 5HTP or Tyrosine or Melatonin, or Magnesium , Theanine, B-6, Taurine, or any other supplements that are KNOWN to have relaxing or sedative effects?

Because if you take GABA with Another sleepy supp, how to you know it's the GABA and not the known effect of the other supp?

I have a whole bottle of GABA Powder and I'm am in an interesting position. I bought it to help "relax" me and "help me stay alseep" and "reduce stress" and such by "inhibiting my neurotransmitters" . . .y'know, . . . the one's in my brain....

Except I've come to find out that ingested y-aminobyteric acid or GABA does NOT cross the blood brain barrier, that it is synthesize within the brain and affect the neurotransmitter within the brain. there is a precursor to GABA , Picamilon, that is ionized and can cross the BB barrier and once in is formed into proper GABA and does affect the neurotransmitters and also blood pressure, but is is a precursor that can do this, not the fully formed GABA molecule.

So, If GABA is NOT getting to my brain to slow down my Neuros, then what is it doing? There is only one study that shows that 3g of GABA does increase Human Growth hormone at rest and during Resistance Exercise by up to 200% and more, but that's not why I bought it.

The only other reference to other body parts and GABA is one that says there are cells that produce GABA in the lungs in response to allergens and participates in the mechanism of asthma. I don't need anything triggering asthma for sure. So other parts of the body can synthesis and excrete GABA , but no one says what it does outside of the brain. Everyone is talking about neurotransmitters.

So, without flaming me or hating me for doubting this wonderful sounding Panacea, Who actually has used GABA independant of other sedative supps and if you have what was your experience? Cleo's side effects are documented and well known, they are not unusual at all.

If you Used GABA with some other sedative supplement then you do have some sort of control to compare your preGABA experience to you Post GABA or In other words, did you change NOTHING but the addition of GABA?

I feel I might have wasted $10 on a supposed relaxation supplement that will only be useful to me when I lift weights.

ETA: I guess I'm hesitant to take large doses of a supp that has these reported side effects if it's not even shown that it could possible have the reported effects because it biologically is unable to access the point of control, . . .
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 10-21-2011 at 08:05 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Metqa
Did you ever end up using the GABA? I just took a 750 mg. capsule in hopes that it will decrease my anxiety levels this afternoon.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
No. I gave it away. My above post was never answered so I had to assume that there was not enough evidence or even anecdotal support that the product works as people have claimed since it always seems to be taken with another supplement that has the same supposed effects, plus the tiny detail that GABA itself cannot actually affect neurotransmitters in the brain directly as it cannot actually cross the blood brain barrier.

Jeaniem, if it works for you I'd be happy to hear your experiences.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I would want to try it again to be sure but I did get very drowsy about an hour after I took it but I want something to calm my anxiety which is tied in with hot flashes. I do not take any other supplements besides D3.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #37
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I have used GABA - alone - to help me relax so I could go to sleep but it has been years since I used it. I liked it; it worked well for me.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC JUDDD 1919/384
Start Date: 7/7/14 JUDDD
I take L-theanine 200 mg as needed to relax or sleep, no more than 400mg in one day. Has helped me stop some terrible panic attacks. Works within 20 minutes.
dixiegal is online now   Reply With Quote