Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lisaerinqt04
Stats: 22/8/4 (-98lbs!)(5'4" & 153lbs) Measures 38-26-39
WOE: '72/Gluten Free
Start Date: 1/1/2010 - "Don't Look Back"
Those who have suffered depression during LC...I need your help!!

Those that have suffered from depression and have overcome it, I really need some advice. I have been on medications for it before, different ones each time and I'm on them a few months, they normally help and then I get off of them. However, I really don't like how I feel getting on and off the medications and I certainly don't want to be on any medications for life (I'm only 24). I haven't had to be on an anti-depressant in a couple years and don't really want to go that route again. I would like to know what you have done to help the depression lift naturally...I'm not really into herbal remedy type stuff, but I'm willing to try. I need to do something, I'm not my cheery self anymore and I'm not sure what the culprit is. Please provide some suggestions on natural rememdies that have worked for you.

Thanks so much!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart.
lisaerinqt04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Acupuncture.

It works on depression, anxiety, and seasonal affective disorder like nothing else I've ever tried.

Non-toxic, too. No pills at all. And my insurance paid for it.

Lynne
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
I'm no expert,and I could be totally wrong, so you'll have to do your homework, but I think I've heard that 5-HTP actually MAKES serotonin.....and that can help, because your brain needs that for happiness. I'm not sure if you need to take it in conjunction with something else though too.

Hope that helps
B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
Acupuncture.

It works on depression, anxiety, and seasonal affective disorder like nothing else I've ever tried.

Non-toxic, too. No pills at all. And my insurance paid for it.

Lynne
Does this seriously work? I mean I know you just said it did, but how does the science of that work? I'm kind of a skeptic when it comes to herbal remedies, chiropractors, homeopathics, or "alternative medicines." I've always thought of it like witch-doctor type stuff (no offense, couldn't think of any other terms) just curious as to how this helps depression? Is it a stress-relief type thing? How did you get your insurance to pay for it? Sorry for all the questions, just very curious. TIA!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelveston
WOE: whole foods
Start Date: restart Jan '09
My sis has depression, anxiety and SAD. She had been on medication and would adjust her dosage by how she was feeling and the time of year.

She started taking Vitamin D3 (1,000 IU per 25 pounds) and it helped even out her SAD but she still wasn't right. Last year, she went completely off her meds and started taking lithium orotate (after researching it). She started with the smallest dose twice a week. She's settled on 4 days a week of a small, supplement dose. Her doc needs to check her thyroid periodically.

Lithium: Occurrence, Dietary Intakes, Nutritional Essentiality -- Schrauzer 21 (1): 14 -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition
Quote:
Lithium is found in variable amounts in foods; primary food sources are grains and vegetables; in some areas, the drinking water also provides significant amounts of the element. Human dietary lithium intakes depend on location and the type of foods consumed and vary over a wide range. Traces of lithium were detected in human organs and fetal tissues already in the late 19th century, leading to early suggestions as to possible specific functions in the organism. However, it took another century until evidence for the essentiality of lithium became available. In studies conducted from the 1970s to the 1990s, rats and goats maintained on low-lithium rations were shown to exhibit higher mortalities as well as reproductive and behavioral abnormalities. In humans defined lithium deficiency diseases have not been characterized, but low lithium intakes from water supplies were associated with increased rates of suicides, homicides and the arrest rates for drug use and other crimes. Lithium appears to play an especially important role during the early fetal development as evidenced by the high lithium contents of the embryo during the early gestational period. The biochemical mechanisms of action of lithium appear to be multifactorial and are intercorrelated with the functions of several enzymes, hormones and vitamins, as well as with growth and transforming factors. The available experimental evidence now appears to be sufficient to accept lithium as essential; a provisional RDA for a 70 kg adult of 1000 µg/day is suggested.
The orotate form is important.

Interestingly, where lithium is naturally high in the drinking water, there are less violent crimes and suicides.

Lithium in drinking water and the incidences of cr... [Biol Trace Elem Res. 1990] - PubMed result

If you decide to try lithium orotate research and start slowly.

LITHIUM: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I suffered from depression for 20 YEARS and have beat it. Low carb and exercise work for me. I did used to take a bunch of supplements mentioned in the book Depression Free Naturally (in it there are quizzes to determine what your body is lacking - very cool btw). I did that for about 6 months but it was pricey so I quit. The depression did not come back (ok it comes back when I eat junk or quit working out but I was able to give up the supplements). If you do go that route I get my supplements from Puritans Pride (they are the cheapest).

I want to know what you eat everyday. Do you consume diet products? Those things are toxic to me. They make me depressed almost immediately. I can handle stevia and splenda in moderation only.

Last edited by karenann33; 09-16-2010 at 01:31 PM..
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the tips! My menu rarely changes here lately, I've been eating a variation of the following foods:

Eggs, seafood, spinach, broccoli, sometimes an ounce or two of cheese, I eat a single serving of greek yogurt daily, I also eat almonds and macadamias. I was drinking coffee daily but as of 2 weeks ago given it up completely. I eat a clean menu and rarely deviate from that (no shakes, bars, etc). Sometimes I make an egg cream shake which is just raw eggs, hwc, a little cocoa, protein powder and ice, but only have this maybe once a week. My calories range from 700-1000 daily. I abstain from beef, pork, chicken, lamb etc.

Do you think it is something I am eating that could be causing this? My menu has only gotten cleaner as I've been back on this WOE since January and I had a high consumption of caffeine and artificial sweeteners, I have cut a lot of this out and included more veggies since then.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaerinqt04 View Post
Does this seriously work? I mean I know you just said it did, but how does the science of that work? I'm kind of a skeptic when it comes to herbal remedies, chiropractors, homeopathics, or "alternative medicines." I've always thought of it like witch-doctor type stuff (no offense, couldn't think of any other terms) just curious as to how this helps depression? Is it a stress-relief type thing? How did you get your insurance to pay for it? Sorry for all the questions, just very curious. TIA!
I'm not sure exactly how it works, or why it works, but it sure does. I look at it this way: the Chinese have been doing this acupuncture stuff a long, long time. Since before Hippocrates was a twinkle in his daddy's eye. And how it works traditionally in Chinese medicine, I've heard, is this way: if the patient doesn't get better, the doctor doesn't get paid. So they've got a pretty big incentive to develop treatments that work - not just acupuncture, but all types of Chinese medicine.

Well, maybe I do have an idea of how it works. Let me give it a shot. In western medicine, we pay a lot of attention to our chemical processes. We take pills to change the mix when we don't feel good. But we have all these electrical processes going on, too, which is another angle to attack problems from. When things are good, the electrical flow is all in balance. When things go wrong, the electrical flow goes down pathways that cause illness and pain. Then it sort of perpetuates itself, like a bad feedback loop. What acupuncture does, as I understand it, is interrupt that misdirection and redirect the electrical flow the way it was supposed to be.

How I got insurance to pay for it? I just asked. A lot of insurance covers alternative medicine now.

Hope this helps!
Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SgtMomArmy
WOE: lc
Vitamin D3 has really helped me. I also go to a chiropractor and accupuncturist. I was prescribed "Free and Easy Wanderer Plus Teapills". They work better than any antidepressant that I have ever been on. HTH :-)
SgtMomArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
I recently started 5-htp for carbohydrate cravings and have found it really helps to make you feel full sooner in a meal. How i know about 5 htp is because my daughters Dr told her to use it for cluster headaches when she stressed in highschool. She started at 50mg and was worked up to 200mg. It helped the headaches, mood and she lost weight, too. I did my research and read the book "5-HTP The natural way to overcome depression, obesity and insomnia" by Michael Murray (Naturopathic Doctor).
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
There is scientific evidence showing depression with low calorie dieting can occur. That is why many experts recommend diet breaks to reset hormonal balance and bring the body back into homeostasis.

The Dangers of Very Low Calorie Diets

The Full Diet Break | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelveston View Post
My sis has depression, anxiety and SAD. She had been on medication and would adjust her dosage by how she was feeling and the time of year.

She started taking Vitamin D3 (1,000 IU per 25 pounds) and it helped even out her SAD but she still wasn't right. Last year, she went completely off her meds and started taking lithium orotate (after researching it). She started with the smallest dose twice a week. She's settled on 4 days a week of a small, supplement dose. Her doc needs to check her thyroid periodically.

Lithium: Occurrence, Dietary Intakes, Nutritional Essentiality -- Schrauzer 21 (1): 14 -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

The orotate form is important.

Interestingly, where lithium is naturally high in the drinking water, there are less violent crimes and suicides.

Lithium in drinking water and the incidences of cr... [Biol Trace Elem Res. 1990] - PubMed result

If you decide to try lithium orotate research and start slowly.

LITHIUM: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
Very interesting.
BPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Dieting and Depression - Q&A | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote