Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Diatomaceous Earth (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/682023-diatomaceous-earth.html)

Molly Bloom 07-07-2010 07:32 PM

Diatomaceous Earth
 
Human Use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

I have been consuming Food Grade DE for over a year now. The results have been quite good (skin, nails, hair). DE builds collagen from within, including the lungs.

Considering our wonderful low carb lifestyles, I should think this would be interesting to those that are dealing with sagging skin, etc.

The best way to drink this (there is no taste or odor), is to put a tablespoon in a water container, let it settle, and continue to fill the container leaving the layer of DE at the bottom. This one tablespoon will last about 6 months. We always put a bit more in every 5 gallons or so, just to hedge our bets. It will saturate the water.

I always squeeze a bit of citrus in my water because you want it to make orthosilicic acid.

From Wikipedia:
Choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid is bioavailable nutritional supplement. It has been shown to prevent the loss of hair tensile strength[10], have positive effect on skin surface and skin mechanical properties, and on brittleness of hair and nails[11], abate brittle nail syndrome[12], partially prevent femoral bone loss in the aged ovariectomized rat model[13], increase collagen concentration in calves [14], and have potential beneficial effect on bone collagen formation in osteopenic females[15].

Diatomaceous Earth is 84% Silicon Dioxide (Silica)

There is no life without Silica!

In 1939, the Nobel Prize winner for chemistry, Professor Adolf Butenant, proved that life can not exist without Silica.

In the 2003 book "Water & Salt" Dr. Barbara Hendel states: "Silica it the most important trace mineral for human health!"

Silica plays an important role in many body functions and has a direct relationship to mineral absorption. The average human body holds approximately seven grams of silica, a quantity far exceeding the figures for other important minerals such as iron.

So, that's what it is all about. If you google this, please google "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth". This should not be confused with the DE used as a common pesticide.

Oh, but if you prefer, this is an excellent flea killer for your animals (and we only use the Food Grade for our babies).

snapsgirl 07-08-2010 11:20 AM

I bought 2lbs. of this stuff last week. Really haven't seen any results yet. I'm hoping it helps my dry skin. We'll see

porcupine73 07-08-2010 11:35 AM

I think it can take a few months to see results, as your nails and hair won't grow out until then.

How's DE compare with horsetail herb for silica? I've been using horsetail but wonder if DE is the better choice.

Molly Bloom 07-08-2010 08:53 PM

I really don't like horsetail grass (shavegrass). One of the alkaloids in horsetail is nicotine, which causes constriction of the blood vessels. This makes it dangerous in high doses or for people with poor circulation to begin with. These include diabetics, those with Raynaud's disease or phenomena, people with congestive heart failure, and those taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

porcupine73 07-09-2010 06:55 AM

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the nicotine in horsetail. Maybe I will switch over to DE as well, or at least give it a try. Also I could use it on my cat maybe, it would be cheaper than Advantage I'm sure. I imagine you just work it into their coat much like rotenone.

susique333 07-09-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly Bloom (Post 13667396)
Human Use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

I have been consuming Food Grade DE for over a year now. The results have been quite good (skin, nails, hair). DE builds collagen from within, including the lungs.

Considering our wonderful low carb lifestyles, I should think this would be interesting to those that are dealing with sagging skin, etc.

The best way to drink this (there is no taste or odor), is to put a tablespoon in a water container, let it settle, and continue to fill the container leaving the layer of DE at the bottom. This one tablespoon will last about 6 months. We always put a bit more in every 5 gallons or so, just to hedge our bets. It will saturate the water.

I always squeeze a bit of citrus in my water because you want it to make orthosilicic acid.

From Wikipedia:
Choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid is bioavailable nutritional supplement. It has been shown to prevent the loss of hair tensile strength[10], have positive effect on skin surface and skin mechanical properties, and on brittleness of hair and nails[11], abate brittle nail syndrome[12], partially prevent femoral bone loss in the aged ovariectomized rat model[13], increase collagen concentration in calves [14], and have potential beneficial effect on bone collagen formation in osteopenic females[15].

Diatomaceous Earth is 84% Silicon Dioxide (Silica)

There is no life without Silica!

In 1939, the Nobel Prize winner for chemistry, Professor Adolf Butenant, proved that life can not exist without Silica.

In the 2003 book "Water & Salt" Dr. Barbara Hendel states: "Silica it the most important trace mineral for human health!"

Silica plays an important role in many body functions and has a direct relationship to mineral absorption. The average human body holds approximately seven grams of silica, a quantity far exceeding the figures for other important minerals such as iron.

So, that's what it is all about. If you google this, please google "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth". This should not be confused with the DE used as a common pesticide.

Oh, but if you prefer, this is an excellent flea killer for your animals (and we only use the Food Grade for our babies).

Ive been interested in this for months. Where do you buy it? Can you mix it into food? My husband would really balk at having to drink it.

Molly Bloom 07-09-2010 07:34 AM

Just google Permaguard food grade diatomaceous earth. I get mine on the internet. It's super cheap. Make sure it's Permaguard however, that is the gold standard apparently.

If you put it in a container of water and let it settle out, he will not be able to detect it unless he sees the layer at the bottom. I guess you could get a dark container? :-)

In order to get the full affect of DE, you really need to drink it as saturated water, unless you want to de-worm your husband? Without that saturation, it will most likely go through you and not really absorb.

susique333 07-09-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly Bloom (Post 13672678)
Just google Permaguard food grade diatomaceous earth. I get mine on the internet. It's super cheap. Make sure it's Permaguard however, that is the gold standard apparently.

If you put it in a container of water and let it settle out, he will not be able to detect it unless he sees the layer at the bottom. I guess you could get a dark container? :-)

In order to get the full affect of DE, you really need to drink it as saturated water, unless you want to de-worm your husband? Without that saturation, it will most likely go through you and not really absorb.

Just got 10# from a supplier here in Nebraska. TY!

Molly Bloom 07-10-2010 09:24 AM

Yeah, it's cheap. I have a huge container that will last for years. Lately though we've used it for some ants, and then our cats. I feel so much better using that for their fleas than some of those other toxic chemicals in collars, etc.

My skin looks pretty good for my age. And I've lost 45 pounds pretty darn fast lately. I feel like drinking the DE is hedging my bets.

susique333 07-10-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly Bloom (Post 13676477)
Yeah, it's cheap. I have a huge container that will last for years. Lately though we've used it for some ants, and then our cats. I feel so much better using that for their fleas than some of those other toxic chemicals in collars, etc.

My skin looks pretty good for my age. And I've lost 45 pounds pretty darn fast lately. I feel like drinking the DE is hedging my bets.

Im going to keep you posted. I honestly have been reading on this "dirt" for a while and I think there is a lot of science in getting the right minerals in our diets. I once read that if we had the "perfect" ratio of nutrients in our American diets, then we would naturally not want to eat too much (IE "over eating is the body's response to a lack of nutrients") . Thank you!

porcupine73 07-10-2010 05:01 PM

Woohoo I just ordered a couple pounds from the manufacturer.

Molly Bloom 07-11-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porcupine73 (Post 13677585)
Woohoo I just ordered a couple pounds from the manufacturer.

Cool!.....A couple of pounds? Well if you are going to just use it in water, I'd say that will last you about 15 years! ha ha.

We give it to our cats in their water too. They are extremely healthy cats.

porcupine73 07-11-2010 09:02 AM

Sounds good! Yes I could give it to my cat as well. The smallest quantity they had was one pound, and two pounds was only a couple $ more so I went for it. The price was about the same as the popular large auction site so I just went right from the manuf.

carrielyn 07-15-2010 10:57 AM

I ordered and received my 2.5 #s from Earth Works. The DE was not bad price wise but the shipping was pretty high. Totaled out about $24. They included an instruction sheet which said to take one tablespoon in your favorite liquid.

I told my husband some have experienced relief from their arthritis and he puts his tablespoon in a small glass of water and down it goes. I sure hope it helps him. I'm looking for relief from my bursitis so I don't have to go to an OS for a cortisone shot.

I'm adding mine to my protein drink or yogurt in the mornings. If I receive the results I've read about even a little I will be grateful. If it helps me with my weight loss that's even a bigger plus.

I'm very pleased that I saw your thread on the main lobby. Something that might help my multiple health issues is definitely worth taking.

lkelley36 07-15-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly Bloom (Post 13667396)
Human Use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

I have been consuming Food Grade DE for over a year now. The results have been quite good (skin, nails, hair). DE builds collagen from within, including the lungs.

Considering our wonderful low carb lifestyles, I should think this would be interesting to those that are dealing with sagging skin, etc.

The best way to drink this (there is no taste or odor), is to put a tablespoon in a water container, let it settle, and continue to fill the container leaving the layer of DE at the bottom. This one tablespoon will last about 6 months. We always put a bit more in every 5 gallons or so, just to hedge our bets. It will saturate the water.

I always squeeze a bit of citrus in my water because you want it to make orthosilicic acid.

From Wikipedia:
Choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid is bioavailable nutritional supplement. It has been shown to prevent the loss of hair tensile strength[10], have positive effect on skin surface and skin mechanical properties, and on brittleness of hair and nails[11], abate brittle nail syndrome[12], partially prevent femoral bone loss in the aged ovariectomized rat model[13], increase collagen concentration in calves [14], and have potential beneficial effect on bone collagen formation in osteopenic females[15].

Diatomaceous Earth is 84% Silicon Dioxide (Silica)

There is no life without Silica!

In 1939, the Nobel Prize winner for chemistry, Professor Adolf Butenant, proved that life can not exist without Silica.

In the 2003 book "Water & Salt" Dr. Barbara Hendel states: "Silica it the most important trace mineral for human health!"

Silica plays an important role in many body functions and has a direct relationship to mineral absorption. The average human body holds approximately seven grams of silica, a quantity far exceeding the figures for other important minerals such as iron.

So, that's what it is all about. If you google this, please google "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth". This should not be confused with the DE used as a common pesticide.

Oh, but if you prefer, this is an excellent flea killer for your animals (and we only use the Food Grade for our babies).

I have been looking this up on the internet. Sounds like it really does a lot of stuff. My question is about dosage. You said 1 tablespoon will last 6 months. I found this at the following website. They aren't selling anything...it is for education use only...but..what do you think?

Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits


Daily recommended food grade diatomaceous earth feeding rates:

Kittens - 1/2 teaspoon
Cats - 1 teaspoon
Puppies - 1/2 to 1 tsp.
Dogs under 35 lbs. - 1 teaspoon
Dogs over 35 lbs. - 1 tablespoon
Dogs over 100 lbs. - 2 tablespoons
Cattle, Dairy Cows, & Hogs - 2% of dry feed ration
Chickens - 5% in feed
Goats, Sheep, Alpacas, & Llamas - 2% in grain
Horses - 1/2 to 1 cup in daily ration
Zoo animals - 2% in daily feed
*Humans - 1 heaping tablespoon daily

*Some recommend to dose humans by mixing food grade diatomaceous earth in a glass of water before bed or first thing in the morning, well before breakfast, to allow diatomaceous earth time to move through and absorb toxins from ones digestive tract without interfering or absorbing nutrients from foods or liquids. Some report great results consuming 1 tsp. in a glass of water prior to each meal, 3x/day.

susique333 07-15-2010 04:55 PM

Well my 'dirt' came today! $12 for 10#s (enough to share with family) and $10 s/h. Im taking it as directed, 1 T a day. Will let you know how it goes!

•Silica lowers bad cholesterol and raises good
•Silica fades age spots
•Silica stimulates metabolism for higher energy levels
•Diatomaceous earth has a negative charge and bacteria has a positive charge. It is believed that diatomaceous earth sweeps bacteria out of the body by trapping it in it's honeycomb shaped skeletal form.
•Silica supplementation helps repair and maintain vital lung tissues and protects them from pollution. By maintaining or restoring the elasticity of lung tissues, silica reduces inflammation in bronchitis.
•It acts as a cough decreasing agent. Silica tones the upper respiratory tract (nose, pharynx, larynx) and reduces swelling because of its positive action on the lymphatic system.
•Silica supplementation keeps menopause free of stress and helps to prevent many unwanted side-effects of menopause
•Silica works with other antioxidants to prevent premature aging and to preserve youthfulness.
•Silica can help prevent kidney stones and heal infections of the urinary tract. It is a natural diuretic which can increase excretion of urine by 30 percent, thus flushing the water-excreting system and restoring normal function to these vital organs.
•The presence of sufficient silica in the intestines will reduce inflammation of the intestinal tract. It can cause disinfection in the case of stomach and intestinal mucus and ulcers. Silica can prevent or clear up diarrhea and its opposite, constipation.
•Silica will help normalize hemorrhoidal tissues.
•In regulating and normalizing the bowels, silica has a pleasant side effect; it can alleviate lower back pain, which often troubles the elderly.
•Silica proves effective with female discharge, abscesses and ulcers in the genital area and cervix, as well as mastitis (especially for breast feeding mothers).
•The intake of silica acts as a supportive treatment for inflammation of the middle ear. Because of the beneficial effectiveness on the lymphatic system, silica can be used for swelling of the lymph nodes in the throat.
•Has anti-inflammatory disinfecting, absorbing and odor binding effects.
•Silica can normalize circulation and regulate high blood pressure (hypertension).
•Silica can decrease vertigo, headache, tinnitus (buzzing of the ears) and insomnia.
•Silica can help diabetes by promoting synthesis of elastase inhibitor by the pancreas.
•Silica can help arterial disease by strengthening the blood vessels. Studies confirm that with age, silica disappears from the aorta, the heart's key blood vessel thus weakening its critical connective tissue and resulting in a greater cardiac risk.
•Silica can help prevent Tuberculosis.
•By improving the elasticity of the joints, silica helps rheumatism.
•Silica has inhibitory effects on coronary diseases.
•Silica can help avoiding or alleviating Alzheimers disease by preventing the body from absorbing aluminum and may flush out aluminum from the tissues. Silica can stimulate the immune system.

Molly Bloom 07-15-2010 10:55 PM

If you put it in a drink each day, the absorption is not optimum. It's much better to put a tablespoon in a 1-2 gallon water container and let it saturate. Then you just keep an inch or so in the container and add more water. That one tablespoon will keep you in saturated water for a long time.

But if you are going to add it to a drink each day, make sure there is a bit of citrus in the water to make the acid that your body needs.

lkelley36 07-16-2010 07:44 AM

Is there a way to know about the carbs in it...or are there any?

Molly Bloom 07-16-2010 02:03 PM

Yes, I recommend the water saturation as opposed to stirring it into something....however, as I said, if your going to drink it straight, add a bit of citrus (which I'm not sure is induction friendly? :-))

carrielyn 07-16-2010 02:24 PM

Molly, since I have only recently found out about consuming DE for improved health (from the Oil Pulling thread on the main lobby) I need some input please. Why do you recommend the water saturation method over stirring in water and consuming or mixing in other drinks? Perhaps I missed where you may have said this and cannot find it now.

Thanks for your help.

Carolyn

nolcjunk 07-18-2010 03:45 PM

I think a much better way to get silica is from something like Biosil which has a high absorption rate and is made for this purpose.

I wouldn't ingest DE for long periods of time or at all. We used food grade DE for insects and it was great for that but it is super drying on your hands if it comes in contact. I think it's too harsh and crude and the silica isn't as bio available, so even though it is 84 percent silica you aren't absorbing it.

It just sounds like a gimmick to sell more DE for other purposes other than dealing with bugs.

ETA even one website that sells it has a disclaimer about their food grade DE "There is no evidence at this time known to this website that confirms that Silica from diatomaceous earth is bio-available or metabolizes in the body."

Also, the DE might have other toxic minerals (esp aluminum) so be careful what you are ingesting. Silica is a great thing to supplement with but there are much better sources.

susique333 07-18-2010 04:42 PM

As I said before, my Diatomaceous Earth is clearly labled FOODGRADE so I am not afraid of toxins nor aluminum. I will keep everyone posted on my little experiment! <raises drinking glass spiked with diatoms!> http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/a...cy-drink-1.gif

Molly Bloom 07-18-2010 08:06 PM

Products like Jaro-Sil and Bio-Sil will work as well, they are just a lot more expensive. If you do use these products I would still add it to a large container of water and drink it throughout the day.

porcupine73 07-27-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

The best way to drink this (there is no taste or odor), is to put a tablespoon in a water container, let it settle, and continue to fill the container leaving the layer of DE at the bottom. This one tablespoon will last about 6 months. We always put a bit more in every 5 gallons or so, just to hedge our bets. It will saturate the water.
How large should this water container be?

To get it started, I used a 3/4 gallon bottle of spring water and put several scoops of the DE into it. It all settled to the bottom and I'm left with a muddy looking water. I've been drinking about two 8 oz. glasses of it per day. Is that enough? Or should I have the DE in all my drinking water? Thank you. :) Also does this water container need to have the citrus juice in it?

Also I add a couple oz. of water to my kitteh's canned food each day, so I have started using the DE water for that as well.

susique333 07-27-2010 06:58 AM

Just checking in. Feeling terrific and still drinking my stuff! Porcupine my cat and dog are getting their daily does plus a dusting into their fur.

Molly Bloom 07-27-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porcupine73 (Post 13732013)
How large should this water container be?

To get it started, I used a 3/4 gallon bottle of spring water and put several scoops of the DE into it. It all settled to the bottom and I'm left with a muddy looking water. I've been drinking about two 8 oz. glasses of it per day. Is that enough? Or should I have the DE in all my drinking water? Thank you. :) Also does this water container need to have the citrus juice in it?

Also I add a couple oz. of water to my kitteh's canned food each day, so I have started using the DE water for that as well.

The water container can be any size, as long as you keep a layer of DE at the bottom. I personally have a 2 gallon in my fridge. The DE will settle after a day or so, and will not be murky anymore.

If you are going to keep that water container, do not add citrus as it is an organic product and will eventually go bad. I squeeze a bit of citrus in my glass of water.

This is the water I sip throughout the day. The whole idea is to keep adding the saturated DE water to your system for optimum absorption. Taking a large dose all at once, and most of it will be leaving your body right quick.

Molly Bloom 07-27-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susique333 (Post 13732050)
Just checking in. Feeling terrific and still drinking my stuff! Porcupine my cat and dog are getting their daily does plus a dusting into their fur.

Tell us about your skin, hair and nails in a month or so. For the first time in years and years I could actually grow my nails out without breaking. That was indeed proof enough for me.

But IMO, I did have to get a pedicure faster than normal which sort of hurt the pocketbook!

porcupine73 07-27-2010 10:13 AM

Excellent, thank you for the information. It looks like I'm going to need to set up a DE container at work as well so I can sip it throughout the day. Thanks for the help with the citrus too. I'm guessing once I get into this routine I can discontinue the horsetail?

carrielyn 07-27-2010 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=Molly Bloom;13732539]Tell us about your skin, hair and nails in a month or so. For the first time in years and years I could actually grow my nails out without breaking. That was indeed proof enough for me.
/QUOTE]

I would love to see my nails improve and, of course, at 62 I can use all the help I can get for my skin. I'm fortunate, even with thyroid issues, my hair has always been thick and healthy, but my nails are horrible. :eek: They are paper thin and peel all the time.

Now my husband is the exact opposite, his nails are incredible but his hair is thinning, a lot, and I would love to see that improve for him. He would never admit it but he is self-conscious :blush: about his hair.

boo-da-man 08-09-2010 01:21 AM

Everything I’ve found on DE, aka dirt, has been to take a tsp-tbs daily, I’m really glad to find someone to talk to about this. I have been taking dirt in my yogurt since 7/29/10. I’ve found that it is very good appetite suppressant and I stopped craving sugar almost instantly. The main drawback is that I am constantly thirsty, to the point that I wake up 6 or 7 times a night for water. I had planned to give it up today, but I will definitely give you method a try. Thanks


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 AM.