Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
When you mix the saturated DE water with the citric acid, how long does it take to react to form the desired compound? Can I just stir it and down it a few seconds later or does it take like an hour or something to react? Thanks.

Yes I don't know if it's the DE or not but it seems days I remember to drink a glass of the DE water with citric acid I seem to have an enhanced feeling for well being.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
It's immediate on contact.

You should try to sip it throughout the day, so take it with you in a thermos.

I am a strong believer in NOT overdoing water consumption however.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Great, thanks for the info. I will have to try to work in sipping it throughout the day. If I can't work that in I can at least have a shot glass worth at each meal. I may use some of the Now Collodial minerals to mix with the DE, since that has a fair amount of citric acid in it. I was using a few drops of lemon juice. I don't have any citric acid on hand and I see Netrition for some reason doesn't sell it, although Now makes bottles of citric acid.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
Still sipping away here! Im stirring it in the families drinks from time to time too.
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
For awhile now I was not bringing it to work. Instead I was using the office water dispensers all day until I went home.

Now I'm home permanently and starting drinking our DE water exclusively. I'm having a hard time typing on the keyboard because my nails are getting long and strong.

My son was complaining to me yesterday how he has to constantly clip his nails, and has to get his haircuts much sooner....Ha ha. Poor child.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
For awhile now I was not bringing it to work. Instead I was using the office water dispensers all day until I went home.

Now I'm home permanently and starting drinking our DE water exclusively. I'm having a hard time typing on the keyboard because my nails are getting long and strong.

My son was complaining to me yesterday how he has to constantly clip his nails, and has to get his haircuts much sooner....Ha ha. Poor child.

That is a terrific testimony!!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WVBeliever
Started taking Food grade DE two weeks ago today, 1 TBSP mixed in OJ or low sodium V-8 juice both are great. I had no expectations going into this, as it seems to effect everyone differently. Much to my suprise only a few days into this I realized I hadn't had any hot flashes! Any of you going through this know their is no reprieve once it starts, it has truely given me my life back! If I have NO other benefits from it than this, I will take it religiously!
WVBeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Excellent! I'm using it, but I haven't quite gotten sipping it during the day worked into my routine. Generally I'm mixing it with my colloidal minerals (because it contains citric acid) and drinking about 4 oz with breakfast and 4 oz with dinner.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GODDESS69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Bloom View Post
Just google Permaguard food grade diatomaceous earth. I get mine on the internet. It's super cheap. Make sure it's Permaguard however, that is the gold standard apparently.

If you put it in a container of water and let it settle out, he will not be able to detect it unless he sees the layer at the bottom. I guess you could get a dark container? :-)

In order to get the full affect of DE, you really need to drink it as saturated water, unless you want to de-worm your husband? Without that saturation, it will most likely go through you and not really absorb.

I didn't know I have to drink it as saturated water!,... Thanks for the info!

Sandra
GODDESS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

The owner of a Diatomaceous Earth company here in Nebraska says that all you have to do it stir it into any liquid and drink. He said that stomach acid is strong enough for it to make the Diatomaceous molecules small enough for absorption. Im seeing much stronger fingernails with my experiment! Edit: I stir it into my water with a squeeze of lemon, just to be sure. Im also thinking of making a gallon jug to let sit and use that for the family as Molly does. This way both we will get both benefits.

Last edited by susique333; 09-03-2010 at 06:14 AM..
Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ontopofmygame
I used the Earth, and still take 2 TBSP daily in about 6 oz of cold water. It looks like cream with coffee, and thats how I get it down, by pretending, even though it does not have any taste!! I could not get under the 130's in my blood pressure until I started taking the Earth. But then, in about a week, it got down into the teens! YEAH!! I believe it has stabled by glucose levels as well. And come to think of it, like another poster, my appetite has dramatically reduced. I would just like to drink it once and be done with it. Maybe a squeeze of organic lemon... but I am no low to no carbs... And since I suspect I have parasites from eating meat (even well cooked), I might as well use it for that too!
ontopofmygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anythingwilldo View Post
I used the Earth, and still take 2 TBSP daily in about 6 oz of cold water. It looks like cream with coffee, and thats how I get it down, by pretending, even though it does not have any taste!! I could not get under the 130's in my blood pressure until I started taking the Earth. But then, in about a week, it got down into the teens! YEAH!! I believe it has stabled by glucose levels as well. And come to think of it, like another poster, my appetite has dramatically reduced. I would just like to drink it once and be done with it. Maybe a squeeze of organic lemon... but I am no low to no carbs... And since I suspect I have parasites from eating meat (even well cooked), I might as well use it for that too!
I found your post about appetite interesting! I once read that the reason we tend to crave and over eat is our bodies are desperately trying to get the proper balance of nutrients. Like on the movie "Super Size Me" even tho the guy was eating 100s of grams in fat daily, he still craved fat. Why? Well at that time McDonald's used trans fats (fake fat) which the body cant use! I think silica might be one of the nutrients I crave!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #43
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Hi! So glad to find this thread. I just discovered FGDE (food grade) the other day, when I was googling. I went to order it online, but cancelled the order when I found out the S+H was more than the product. I found some locally and just yesterday, started taking 1 Tbs per day, mixed in water.

I must say that never in my wildest dreams did I ever see myself ingesting dirt, but here I am. I am looking forward to seeing what happens, as I play human guinea pig. I'm so glad I'm in good company!

I'll let you know how things progress. How are you all doing on it so far?
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Hi! So glad to find this thread. I just discovered FGDE (food grade) the other day, when I was googling. I went to order it online, but cancelled the order when I found out the S+H was more than the product. I found some locally and just yesterday, started taking 1 Tbs per day, mixed in water.

I must say that never in my wildest dreams did I ever see myself ingesting dirt, but here I am. I am looking forward to seeing what happens, as I play human guinea pig. I'm so glad I'm in good company!

I'll let you know how things progress. How are you all doing on it so far?
Hello Cheryl! I need to say 1st, that you look so much like the actress Shirley MacLaine!

Im drinking DE most days and have found an improvement with my fingernails mostly, and Im wondering if my appetite seems a little less? Maybe a little wishful thinking! It is funny to think youre drinking little diatoms, isnt it? Now I do not even think twice about what Im drinking!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #45
Big Yapper!

Hey! Thanks for responding. I've heard that before (looking like Shirley.) It's funny how our appearance changes with our weight. I've been told I look like quite a few people.

I am excited to have discovered DE, and I hope to feel some benefits from it. It really does taste and feel like dirt, though! I hope I can find better ways of ingesting it. Maybe after a week or so, I'll try doing the saturated water thing. Right now, I think I need all of it.

Have a great night!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
I have been using DE for years. My husband and I raise chickens and we put it in their feed to keep them from having worms. Most people do not know that because we ingest so much meat that we could have parasites living in us, taking I spoonful of DE daily will rid our bodies of the nasty invader.

Laura
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
I am unable to use the DE, I've realized it gives me UTI's. If you use the DE and get a UTI you might check it out.

And I so hoping to get the benefits I've read about.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #48
Big Yapper!

I haven't checked back in a long time, and I said that I would. I have gotten used to the gritty feel and the mild, earthly taste, and take it daily, in the evening. I have a 2 gallon container with water and DE, and I just add more of each when it gets low. I shake it up, so the sediment gets suspended in the water, then pour a glass.

This stuff must have a specific gravity that's close to that of Gold! I have noticed my nails growing faster, and maybe my hair being a little softer. I think it is cleansing my colon, and I have a general sense of well-being.

I will continue taking it. I believe in its benefits and would recommend it to others.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mads
I just started with DE taking it with some OJ yesterday. I had bought 5 lbs years ago just to use on my dog for fleas. I spread it around under my couches, and also put some in the dogs bed, and on him directly. I was a bit alarmed on reading the warnings on breathing in the powder. So I only used it in the fall when all the fleas jump onto a warm body. My sister I told her about it to fight a flea problem she was having and she did more research than I did and reported back to me that she was going to use it for herself, her horse and her dog. So I started reading again about DE.
I have very obvious issues in life. one being hot flashes and the other primary is my Blood pressure which I moniter every week. If I can lower my BP and stop these hot flashes, I will be totally happy. Of course, stronger nails would be good too.

I took 1 teaspoon in OJ to start yesterday. I tried eating it in Cottage cheese, but I didn't like the pasty thickness. I also gave some to my dog in his food .
Hopefully, this will help as I've been putting off going to the doctor this year as I know she will once again try to convince me that I need to take something for my elevated BP.
Mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I'm glad to see someone actually using DE and commenting on it. I've had DE for years and use it to control fleas in carpet and furniture, roaches in the cabinets and recently to keep my neighbors ants from invading my home!

I've read about using it food wise, I know it is used in graneries and that we consume some small quantity via food processing but I have one labelled for insect control, even though the chemical list is pure DE I cant be sue the quality was maintained.

I want to use it in my pasta jars. I bought Dreamfields on clearance and store it in jars, Some are vacuum sealed but others aren't and even though they are capped with rubber lids, eventually I have to check each month cause something ends up inside and eating it. I think eggs in the dough hatch cause I don't see these insects anywhere else but in the jars. If i had Food grade DE, I could powder my pasta, like they do in graneries and avoid pantry moths, and beetles chomping on my pasta stores.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, i can't believe it's been here for three years and I've missed it all that time. I make my own cat's food, so i could either add it to his food or make a deeper water bowl for him to drink saturated water from, Hmm,

Thanks again for the thread and the information.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I'm glad to see someone actually using DE and commenting on it. I've had DE for years and use it to control fleas in carpet and furniture, roaches in the cabinets and recently to keep my neighbors ants from invading my home!

I've read about using it food wise, I know it is used in graneries and that we consume some small quantity via food processing but I have one labelled for insect control, even though the chemical list is pure DE I cant be sue the quality was maintained.

I want to use it in my pasta jars. I bought Dreamfields on clearance and store it in jars, Some are vacuum sealed but others aren't and even though they are capped with rubber lids, eventually I have to check each month cause something ends up inside and eating it. I think eggs in the dough hatch cause I don't see these insects anywhere else but in the jars. If i had Food grade DE, I could powder my pasta, like they do in graneries and avoid pantry moths, and beetles chomping on my pasta stores.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, i can't believe it's been here for three years and I've missed it all that time. I make my own cat's food, so i could either add it to his food or make a deeper water bowl for him to drink saturated water from, Hmm,

Thanks again for the thread and the information.
I add it to my bags of flours too as I do lots of baking. Keeps the critters away!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Has anybody used DE to TREAT a flea problem or just as a preventive?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Has anybody used DE to TREAT a flea problem or just as a preventive?
Both.

Had a house full of them. A swarm. A cloud. An infestation. the plague.. just kidding. But a tonne of them in the old carpet of the house we rented. I got fed up when I brought a bowl of warm nacho cheese to the sofa and the fleas jumped into it! I sprinkled DE through a small hand sieve, close to the floor so there was little drift, till there was a fine dusting in all areas and beneath the furniture and in the corners, and any crevices. Then I went back and tamped it into the carpet fibers with my feet. to make sure it settled all the way down. the carpet looked like flour exploded. We left it down for a week... It bothered my then asthmatic BF little if at all, I wore a dust mask while appying it. Week later vacuumed the carpet and saw no fleas for the rest of the summer or winter.

When I moved into my apartment, I put DE in the cabinets when I moved in cause there were already roaches. A couple of months later, after my neighbor moved out and the pest control sprayed him apartment sending them into my apartment again, I reapplied it to all the cabinets and below the sinks in the crevices, and I also sprinkled it beneath my couch. Each month or two I check the dust and find a dessicated roach that didn't make it.

Last week my newest neighbor sprayed for ants around their door, so the ants naturally came running for MY door. I sprinkled DE across the door jam in a wide swath and piled it in the corners so the ants couldn't get into my house without crossing it. later i swept it away with some dead ants within the barrier.

When BF moved into his new home with hardwood floors, I brought DE over and swept it into the crevices of the floor ( old old wood) but basically filled the crevices and corners with a dusting of DE and did the carpet in his bedroom. The Roommates doesn't seem to be atacked by the fleas, though the cat is full of them and BF finds them all the time.

It can be used outside but is inactivated by rain so must be reapplied. a perimeter or around the bushes and soil near the home where fleas breed outside. But it also harms any other exoskeletal insect so bewary of your butterflies.

ETA: after I had dusted the old house BF came back and was skeptical about it working, As I walked by i dropped a clod of DE from the sieve onto the hall carpet. Frustrated, I bent to scoop it up and saw the powder moving. The fleas in the carpet beneath the pile were jumping furiously to try to escape the pile of DE. BF was no longer skeptical. we powdered the cat too and later used a spot treatment. That cat eventually up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T

Last edited by metqa; 11-06-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Old 11-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Good to know. Thanks metqa.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coconutpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by susique333 View Post
•Silica stimulates metabolism for higher energy levels
•In regulating and normalizing the bowels, silica has a pleasant side effect;
i've been taking it for a couple of weeks now and i've noticed the above effects!

i used to be able to not eat breakfast (i do a loose version of intermittent fasting) but i have to eat in the morning now.... and also when it's supposed to be my bedtime i don't feel tired anymore. i feel as though i want to stay up and do stuff. and i've been more regular :P
coconutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #56

oops, procrastination!

I have a question though. You suggest putting it into a pitcher and letting the sediment at the bottom saturate the liquid. So you'd pour off the liquid, refill, let settle, repeat?

How do you think this would work with a Brita Filter pitcher? Y'know the type where you fill the top tank with water, and the water flows through and the filtered water collects in the bottom reservoir waiting to be used. Would you imagine you could put the DE in the reservoir so that the filtered water just comes right down and gets saturated each time the pitcher is refilled?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ontopofmygame
This is a late post, but to let you know, I used to take it every day straight for about 3 weeks... I finally got my blood pressure down out of the 130's and this is the only thing that did it!! Now if my blood pressure goes up, I just stir 2 tbsp in water, and down it goes for weeks!
ontopofmygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jerryandtabatha
Ok i have a few question. I know you've touched on this question but i guess i am still unclear.
1. I am using a gallon pitcher. How much DE do i put into it? And how much do I add to it and when?
2.How long do I let it settle before i drink it and do I need to shake it before i drink it?
3. How many ounces of the mixture should i drink/sip a day?
4. Do i need to refridgerate it? Can i drink it heated up a little to make it warm. The reason I say this is beause I was told that if i drink warm water with a half of a fresh lemon squeezed into it , it helps my body become ph balanced. And that my saliva will nutralized the citric acid in the lemons.

Forgive me if I am asking too much. I am just excited about starting to take the DE.

Thanks!
Tabatha
jerryandtabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gemstar727
WOE: nothing white... lol
Start Date: July 2010
DE was the missing link for me!

I have been on DE for two weeks. It was the last thing/nutrient that is helping me to heal. After 16 yrs of going to about 25 doctors, I finally was diagnosed last June with Late Stage Lyme Disease. Prior to that it was always Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I thought I was dying for most of 2009 and last year. Finding a LLMD (Lyme Literate medical doctor) was a blessing! I'm on antibiotics, however that wasn't enough. After much research I decided to repair, replace, remove to help my body to a healthier body.

I have been homebound for over 15 yrs. I had this feeling that my issue first and foremost was parasites. Once I started to see that happening, I knew I would get quality of life. I am doing the Salt/C protocol, taking wormwood/green hull of black walnuts, cloves and quassia (all in one bottle). I was still missing something, so I added Magnesium. A month later I was still not entirely happy with how I was feeling. Researched some more and found DE! Bingo! lol. That has been the magic bullet for me.

I have seen what I wanted in the toilet dept. and I have more energy. Have passed at least six different varieties of parasites, larva and egg sacs. Put my fiance on my protocol and he too has passed more than me and he doesn't have Lyme. I'm so happy I found the DE, I finally have hope that I can heal from Lyme and co-infection. Sorry for going on like that, just feel so blessed to finally start feeling better.

Be well.
gemstar727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I've been taking DE for about 8 months, 2 tablespoons in water every morning. I like the gritty taste/feel of it at this point.
I started taking it after reading about it on a hair care forum that I frequent. My hair grows like a weed now, my nails are super strong and my skin is much improved. I am really enjoying the benefits and don't see myself not taking it for any reason in the future.
I buy Permaguard, in case anyone is interested, off the internet as I can't find it locally.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote