Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jetvictor
Why iron free?

Many people on the board has recommended to take multi-vitamin with iron free. Now, I'm no expert on supplements or anything but can anyone tell me why iron is bad on low carb diet? I'll try to find some but just wondering.
Jetvictor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I haven't seen the posts you mention, and the only reason I take an iron-free multivitamin is that 1) I'm post-menopausal, and most women don't need additional iron after menopause--that's why my Centrum Silver is iron free;
2) My blood tests show that I have more than adequate iron, and it would be dangerous to supplement.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2crzyboyz
Stats: 196/157/150 5'9"
WOE: Low-Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/10
A big reason is because iron is very constipating and since this WOE tends to do that to you also it just adds to the problem. We get a lot of our iron from the protein we eat on this plan anyways.
mom2crzyboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
I have to take iron...always have for years....when I forgot to a couple of months ago I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. My son actually figured out what was wrong with me. It was a miserable week when he came home from college. I had not taken mine for about 2 months!!!...just totally forgot about it...I take so much stuff...It really has to do with you and your body. When I don't take it, I ache all over!!! Make sure you get your iron checked every once in a while. Pretty sure everyone is not like me. I found out years ago when I got to the point that I couldn't hardly walk. My iron was soooo low!!!! I haven't seen anyone that said don't take it...it is really up to your body.
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
Oh...and by the way...you can get Chelated Iron and other names that are gentle to the stomach...I can't take just regular iron either. It isn't that expensive..and well worth not being constipating.
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
And, men should never take any vitamin with iron in it because it ups their risk for heart attacks..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jetvictor
Oh, okay thanks everyone for your replies. I bought the centrum which was iron free on mens
Jetvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
As someone mentioned, iron can upset the stomach. I always wondered why I got an upset stomach after taking my vitamin, then read it could be the iron. I switched to the Now Adam from netrition and those don't upset my stomach at all. They're not much more expensive than the grocery store vitamins, plus most of it is chealated rather than the salt versions.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote