Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #91
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Justachic
Stats: no scales-5'6
WOE: customized
Start Date: Restarted Jan 9, 2008
And he returns for a cameo.
Justachic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iabowhunter
Stats: 346/342/240
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-30-03
I tend to be more of a lurker anymore. I always check in on you all though...so yeah, I'm still around. LOL

Think it's about time to set sail with the Captian. That mixed with some diet Dr. Pepper sounds pretty tasty right about now.
iabowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
I check in and lurk......

The combo was a bomb for me.... NOTHING !!!!!!
I need activity............ So now I Zumba and so far .. I really like it.. Even though I am a klutz...lol
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Zumba chicks are hot!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #95
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Hey Kim! I'm guessing zumba is an exercise?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbF69
Stats: 220/128/120
WOE: Low glycemic/low carb +fasted/HIIT cardio/weights
Start Date: 1/19/2009
I'm here!!! Still using the combo I am usually in the daily exercise thread spreading love and joy
LowCarbF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Hey Kim! I'm guessing zumba is an exercise?
yup.....I saw an add for it on TV the other day. I'm not Kim...just thought that i would answer.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: roofarmer
Hi Guys,
Would be really grateful if somebody could point me in the direction of some scientifc studies on CLA + GLA. Would love to see what the science community thinks.
Kycowgirl - should I be checking the American Journal of Nutrition?
Thanks
roofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilmaz
Stats: 145/141/120
WOE: LowCarb, Unprocessed, GlutenFree
Start Date: May 2010
Hi guys,

I've been looking through the CLA posts here for some insight on this supplement and hope maybe you can offer some advice. I've been taking it for almost 8 weeks and have gained about 9lbs (I work in kg), mainly in my midsection (belly, love handles) plus the old saddlebags we so love. Granted I haven't been as diligent with the diet and exercise, but don't usually gain so fast and to this area. It almost looks like water weight or prednisone weight (chest is bigger too).

I also take CLO, Fish Oil, EPO and Acetyl-l-carnitine among other things.
My question is have many of you had negative results with CLA or negative then positive from changing the dose? I thought maybe I haven't been taking enough and so have had the opposite effect.
Do I have to take CLA with meals spread through the day? I've been taking it on an empty stomach, with the other oils and now have read not to as they compete. Carnitine is recommended pre-workout (which is generally the AM for me) with your omega-3 supplement.
I supplement a lot of fiber because of LC, IBS and gluten intolerance and don't like taking any oil supplements near the fiber as there's a risk of binding...

Any ideas how to fit this all in for maximum absorption? I had great results with carnitine last year, took a break and have now restarted it.

Should i perhaps take a break from the CLA for a couple of weeks then restart at a high dose?

Sorry so long and so many questions! Just a little lost and it seems a lot of you have had success with CLA.

TIA, lilmaz
lilmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #100

Hey, Roofarmer, and lilmaz.
I don't speak for the group, but It's been really slow here with summer coming and life happening.

Roofarmer, I don't think we have any specific links to specific studies in the thread, but the web in an awesome thing. If you will just google studies about CLA you will find what you are looking for, mostly you'll find sites promoting it, and maybe they will have links to the specific study they quote from.

lilmaz. I can't say that I've had "success" with CLA, but I don't think I've gained weight because of it either. It is hard to say.

I tried taking a triple dose but I could never stick with it cause I don't see any results from it. Granted, I'm not taking "THE COMBO" but from what I've read CLA has it's own set of benefits that should work on it's own, taking the CLA/GLA combo is supposed to synergized the effect and amplify both. I didn't see any loss in my waist or effect on my weight. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 06-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I'm interested in trying CLA/GLA. Is there any advantage to taking the liquid rather than the capsules?

I much prefer to swallow pills than to take a spoonful of oil. I gag if I try to take a spoonful of coconut oil!

Thanks.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I'm interested in trying CLA/GLA. Is there any advantage to taking the liquid rather than the capsules?

I much prefer to swallow pills than to take a spoonful of oil. I gag if I try to take a spoonful of coconut oil!

Thanks.
Well, there you go! it's totally a preference thing. I was taking so many other pills that I couldve gagged on another pill, but I have no trouble taking the oil.

They are about 4-6 pills depending on the strength of what you buy, so be prepared to take at least 5 pills each day.

Are you new here? Welcome and good luck. It's kinda slow lately so don't feel bad if someone doesn't come around for a while. I hope the CLA works well for you!!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Thanks, metqa!

I've just come back to LCF after a few years away. I've been reading and trying to catch up on everything.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #104

Gallery: Ilpirata
okay well reading this thread has made me decide CLA/GLA not worth the money.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Raparee
Hello all.

I was mostly curious if anyone experienced a real uptick in energy and moods in the first few weeks of taking CLA. I have the liquid CLA from netrition (after some fairly heavy research and yes, winding up here and seeing normal people having good results) and I have to say, even my coworkers have noticed an improved mood and energy level. I currently take Evening Primrose oil, but am going to swap over to Borage oil shortly (when I run out of EP).

I haven't noticed any fat/inch loss (if it could help me lose 30lbs, I'd be tickled), but hey, it's worth it for the improved mood and energy alone! That has been the only change in the past two weeks. I have been on a higher dose of thyroid replacement (doc doubled my dose), but I've only been on that a month and I know it can take up to three months to see a difference there. I do use a variety of foods with omegas (SmartOmega oil, flax meal, hemp milk, etc), but it's only been since taking the CLA that I've really noticed a substantial mood/energy difference. (I'm excited to try the CLA/Borage combo.)
Raparee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raparee View Post
Hello all.

I was mostly curious if anyone experienced a real uptick in energy and moods in the first few weeks of taking CLA. I have the liquid CLA from netrition (after some fairly heavy research and yes, winding up here and seeing normal people having good results) and I have to say, even my coworkers have noticed an improved mood and energy level. I currently take Evening Primrose oil, but am going to swap over to Borage oil shortly (when I run out of EP).

I haven't noticed any fat/inch loss (if it could help me lose 30lbs, I'd be tickled), but hey, it's worth it for the improved mood and energy alone! That has been the only change in the past two weeks. I have been on a higher dose of thyroid replacement (doc doubled my dose), but I've only been on that a month and I know it can take up to three months to see a difference there. I do use a variety of foods with omegas (SmartOmega oil, flax meal, hemp milk, etc), but it's only been since taking the CLA that I've really noticed a substantial mood/energy difference. (I'm excited to try the CLA/Borage combo.)
What thyroid medicine do you take? If it is T4 only (Synthroid) yes it takes four to six weeks to see an improvement but if it contains T3 (Natural Desssicated Thyroid) or IS T3 only (Cytomel) then that is the improvement you're feeling you will feel T3 right away.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Raparee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
What thyroid medicine do you take? If it is T4 only (Synthroid) yes it takes four to six weeks to see an improvement but if it contains T3 (Natural Desssicated Thyroid) or IS T3 only (Cytomel) then that is the improvement you're feeling you will feel T3 right away.
Just levothroid (I can't afford the Cytomel, even on cruddy insurance). The doctor doubled my dosage from a measley 50mcg to 100mcg and is going to check again at the end of July. I hadn't noticed any difference at all since the upgrade, so do you think it's just convenient timing on the CLA part?
Raparee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raparee View Post
Just levothroid (I can't afford the Cytomel, even on cruddy insurance). The doctor doubled my dosage from a measley 50mcg to 100mcg and is going to check again at the end of July. I hadn't noticed any difference at all since the upgrade, so do you think it's just convenient timing on the CLA part?

It could be just convenient timing. It could be that synthetic T4. IF your body is converting it to T3 which your doctor seems to think it is. Not to totally threadjack but does your doctor test your FREET3? If not you're not being properly tested and/or treated. If I were you I'd want to see my FREET3 test about eight weeks after I started taking that additional synthroid. I'd want to see that to confirm that the incoming synthetic T4 is being converted by my body into T3. T3 is the hormone that runs your metabolism, gives you energy, and makes you feel well.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
I found a bottle of CLA at Rite Aid (buy 1 get 1 free for vitamins!), but no GLA.

I started the CLA yesterday, does it still work without the GLA? Or is the combo a 'must'?

Thanks!
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #110

FYI

Dietary coconut oil increases conjugated linoleic ... [Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005] - PubMed result
Dietary coconut oil increases conjugated linoleic acid-induced body fat loss in mice independent of essential fatty acid deficiency.
Quote:
Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005 Oct 15;1737(1):52-60. Epub 2005 Sep 13.
Dietary coconut oil increases conjugated linoleic acid-induced body fat loss in mice independent of essential fatty acid deficiency.

Hargrave KM, Azain MJ, Miner JL.

Department of Animal Science, C220 Animal Science, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583, USA.
Abstract

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) induces a body fat loss that is enhanced in mice fed coconut oil (CO), which lacks essential fatty acids (EFA). Our objective was to determine if CO enhancement of CLA-induced body fat loss is due to the lack of EFA. The CLA-EFA interaction was tested by feeding CO and fat free (FF) diets for varying times with and without replenishment of individual EFA. Mice fed CO during only the 2-week CLA-feeding period did not differ from control mice in their adipose EFA content but still tended (P=0.06) to be leaner than mice fed soy oil (SO). Mice raised on CO or FF diets and fed CLA were leaner than the SO+CLA-fed mice (P<0.01). Mice raised on CO and then replenished with linoleic, linolenic, or arachidonic acid were leaner when fed CLA than mice raised on SO (P<0.001). Body fat of CO+CLA-fed mice was not affected by EFA addition. In summary, CO-fed mice not lacking in tissue EFA responded more to CLA than SO-fed mice. Also, EFA addition to CO diets did not alter the enhanced response to CLA. Therefore, the increased response to CLA in mice raised on CO or FF diets appears to be independent of a dietary EFA deficiency.
What does this mean to you?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #111
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

This means.......That I have been RIGHT all this time!!!!

Interestingly, it seemed to have worked best for me when I was taking it with Acetyl L Carnatine/Alpha Lipoic Acid supp. Hmmmm.

My DH just bought me some inline skates. I was getting burned out on the usual routine at the gym.....right now my legs are feeling sore sore sore! Love that feeling.

Metqa....r u still trying to get some exercise in? You know me, the cheerleader!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mikkimouse
Stats: 247/148/150 ~6'0~
WOE: ~ Low Carb ~
Start Date: August 26, 2007
Hey Guys..... Im sorry im guilty as charged, Im a Lurker. LMAO never thought i would be a lurker. All is great and i miss you all....hi chic, phil, tom, metqa, etc.... you all! Im still holding my weight, have cheated a bit as ususal but holding 155 lbs. In august its been 3 years.... hard to believe huh? well i wanted to stop in and say hello and i was thinkin bout you all!!!!! I will try to chat more often!
mikkimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

MIKKI!!!!!! Good to see you!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #114
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Mikki!!! Hey girl....haven't seen you around since the plane crash that happened in front of your house! Glad to see you are still around and doing well.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ADLMA
Imma lurker too. I confess! I hope everyone is doing great. Be safe, y'all and have a great summer!
ADLMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Guess we're all a bunch of lurkers. LOL

Ever have one of those nights when you want to grill every damn thing in the freezer? Yeah...guilty here. The beer tasted THAT damn good!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ADLMA
It's all good if you grill it, but ya don't eat it!
ADLMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twirl
Stats: 295.9/247.7/140
WOE: low carb, hhcg
Start Date: lc 6.24.10, hhcg 10.22.11
think I figured it out...

Hi Everyone,

Second day of cla/gla. I've got the dose down but I struggled with when to take them. I can take the cla with the borage oil but not with omega 3, taking the the omega/fish oil at least three hours apart. It is best to spread the cla throughout the day...taking the caps, not the liquid.

I'm just weeks into LCing. I just started taking coconut oil and the cla/gla. I'm walking the amount that I can walk in a day. Sometimes it's only 15 min. I'm doing abdominal exercises. So I'm really hoping that the cla/gla works for me. Have always had a ample belly. Would like to see the retreat.

Thanks for all your info, everyone.
Twirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jwabbit
Back on the CLA/GLA Combo

The last time I took the combo in May/June, I lost about 4.2% of my weight without too much effort: average diet (generally healthy choices, splurge 1-2x a week) and exercise 2-3x a week (which I noticed added some muscles to my frame).

After being on vacation for two weeks and falling off the workout wagon, I'm back on the combo as of today. Here is the pill schedule that worked for me:
  • AM (7am-ish): 1tsp of liquid CLA (netrition) - based on bottle dosage, this should be about 3400mg of CLA. I struggled to get used to this over the capsules but to be honest, I feel like this liquid works better - I saw results quicker when I started this but that's just me. You can see from previous posts that I tried a few methods to withstand the taste/smell. What works for me: mix 1tsp of liquid CLA in a shot glass with coffee and Torino sugar-free caramel syrup (let's save the splenda vs. discussion stevia for another forum). I take this all in one shot and follow with a sip of coffee. I've run out of dolce gusto cups so I'm mixing 1/2 tsp of instant coffee in 1Tb warm water, CLA, and syrup. Basically, the coffee has helped masked the taste/smell for me and no more stale oil burbs!
  • Noon (or with lunch 3hrs after taking CLA): Fish oil (3x triple strength-highest level of EPA/DHA in one capsule; you might only need 2, but 3 a day works for me), Multivitamin, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D
  • Bedtime: GLA (3x NOW Borage Oil which has 240mg per capsule); I know it's recommend to take with food, but I have not had any problems. Also, the instructions on NOW suggests taking it with Fish Oil but that would be too much to my 6-pill lunch.
I just wanted to share my pill schedule since some people seem confused about dosage or when to take things. This formula has worked for me since it fits with my routine. I think the best way to stick to a routine is to not give yourself an opportunity to make an excuse. For example, I keep my CLA kit by my dolce gusto machine, the potpouri of vitamins at work to take with my lunch, and the GLA next to my bed. Another example, I have all my gym stuff ready to go so I can't say I didnt have shampoo or face wash, etc. For me, the less of an excuse I can give myself, the more likely I will stick to it. Also, I did not really put more effort than normal into diet/exercise so I continue to think (hope?) that with more effort, I could see better results.

I also want to say that I really admire those who have posted their results in numbers and pictures - I am amazed at your efforts (lowcarbf69 - wow!) and wish you all the best in reaching your goals. Thanks also to everyone who has been so encouraging!

Help yourself get results and good luck everyone!
jwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Every1LuvzAngie
Stats: 158/150/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2005
count me in on the gla/cla I been taking mine for the past 2 days now!
Every1LuvzAngie is offline   Reply With Quote