Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Good Point GeneaX!

Yeah, the CLA is the pure essense of Oil! but you get used to it. I found it didn't so much smell like anything, but smelled VERY oily and TASTED very oily, but not like any oil I could identify. I could imagine adding mint or some extract to it!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: daveri
Question

Has anyonne noticed a big difference in this new liquid CLA and the other liquid CLA that they used to carry at Netrition? I think it was the orange creamscicle flavor? This new one seems to be just pure oil, which is ok with me, but I just want to make sure it is ok??
daveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wallee
Just got mine from netrition this week as well. I remember reading older posts that said it tasted like creamcicle, this sure doesn't. It reminds me of paint/turpentine. NASTY! I put it in the fridge last nite hoping that might help but it didn't. It was worth a try. I don't even think adding an extract to it would help much. Honestly, I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with it too.
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #34

the orange flavor was discontinued. this is a different brand and it is jut the pure oil. There is nothing wrong with it. Your reaction is most likely normal as our bodies aren't used to pure oils like that. I've taken it with a dropper directly to my swallowing part in the back of my tongue so it doesn't move around my mouth, or if I'm eatig a fatty soup, the I'll mix it in the soup. You still smell it, but the flavor of hte soup overpowers it and it's alright. Try eating graprfruit right after. that helps cut the greasy taste and move it out of your mouth, or eat something strong tasting and fatty right after.

Trish, don't you take milk afterward?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 04-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jessipoo
Stats: 260/250/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I just bought some CLA at walgreens (capsule form). Does the CLA work w/o the GLA? I couldnt find any but will be ordering some from Netrition.
jessipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #36

I dunno,I hope so cause I still cant find GLA in liquid form.

I'm not taking it now so I'm not posting much. I'll be taking it again in abut a week and a half. I hope i get some results. Seems like I haven't had much overall. but my belly is stubborn!!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KUKU4U75
Stats: 171/?/135
Start Date: 02/01/2010
I've have been using the liquid for awhile. I had only been using 1/2 tsp. a day and 1 borage oil capsule a day (1000). Is this the correct dosage? Not sure if its based on weight, but I weigh about 160, still can't get rid of this damn baby weight and she'll be 4 soon. :-) Thanks for your help...

Kara
KUKU4U75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Most effective daily dose...
CLA 3400 mg (1/2 Tbsp liquid once a day, or 5 Tonalin or Spring Valley
capsules)
GLA 500-1000 mg (2-4 Borage Oil caps a day)

This is what I'm doing and I do believe its working!!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #39

You are taking 1/2 Tablespoon!!?? I might be doing this wrong. . . .

My bottle of PVL says One dose of 1/2 teaspoon has 2000mg of CLA, so I took 2 doses which equals 1 teaspoon (4000mg) That's a third of what you are taking!
Is that right? Do you mean Tablespoons and Not teaspoons?

ETA: please let me know cause if you ARE taking A Tablespoon and it's working then I just might adjust my dose.

Last edited by metqa; 04-19-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #40

Oh Yeah, Trish I meant to ask this. Remember my experiment with taking the CLA from the capsuls and how it irritated my throat. Well this new liquid is so mild, I can have it with milk or soup or straight. so I think I'm gonna try again with mixing it in with my cocoa bark!

Ha, How's that! If the oily taste is too much, just make some cocoa bark and add your dose to that. I'm sure it would cover the oily smell and taste that is bothering some!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Nope, I'M wrong! I'm OD'ing on liquid CLA and I think I like it!! hahahaha! I lost 2 pounds last week and my scale hadn't been budging previously. Now I'm not sure what to do, do I switch to 1 teaspoon or continue with the 1/2 tablespoon that's working so well??? I never read the label when I got the bottle, just took the dose I saw in the thread. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................. I think I'll stick with it through this week and see what happens. BTW, overdosing on liquid CLA has no side affects, trust me! lolololololol!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Just marking my spot....
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Nope, I'M wrong! I'm OD'ing on liquid CLA and I think I like it!! hahahaha! I lost 2 pounds last week and my scale hadn't been budging previously. Now I'm not sure what to do, do I switch to 1 teaspoon or continue with the 1/2 tablespoon that's working so well??? I never read the label when I got the bottle, just took the dose I saw in the thread. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................. I think I'll stick with it through this week and see what happens. BTW, overdosing on liquid CLA has no side affects, trust me! lolololololol!
Well, if it tain't broke, don't fix it, don'tcha know!!!!!
I'm gonna try that when I start up again. couldn't hurt.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sheron
Hi
Does anyone count the calories in the CLA towards your daily total? I think I gained this week!!!
sheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #45

I don't. It's like 44 calories from 5g of fat. that's negligible.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Obliana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheron View Post
Hi
Does anyone count the calories in the CLA towards your daily total? I think I gained this week!!!
Check your measurements not the scale.
Obliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

I just reordered the CLA liquid and it tastes like turpentine.. (or however you spell it) the old oil just tasted like oil. why would there be such a taste difference?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jwabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUKU4U75 View Post
I just reordered the CLA liquid and it tastes like turpentine.. (or however you spell it) the old oil just tasted like oil. why would there be such a taste difference?
I agree! I just started my liquid CLA today and it tastes awful - it nearly came back up...my burps are also reminiscent of the stale oil taste-ick!

While waiting for the liquid CLA to be in stock, I was taking 2 x 1000mg CLA capsules a day and despite being horse pills, that was much better than this stale oil aftertaste. I'm going to have to try to figure out a way to mask the taste. Tomorrow I'll try metqa's dropper method and report back.

So I've been reading the threads but have not really posted at all...just wanted to share:

I started CLA/GLA in February 2010 and I haven't really tracked any numbers, but I think I've lost 3-5lbs. I definitely feel a more slimmer midsection and my pants are also feeling more loose; however, I wish it would work more on my thighs...I just bought a tape measure so I may start to track that...

In addition to the CLA/GLA combo, I avoid sugar or carbs (bread, starchy food) during the work week but 'reward' myself on weekends when I can't say no to my grandma's cooking. I started exercising 3x week in the last couple of weeks so I'm not as strict with the no sugar/bread. It was hard to give up sugar as I have an unsatiable sweet tooth. However, after "detoxing" from sugar, I notice that I dont crave it as much and when I eat sweets, it tastes REALLY sweet (almost too sweet!).

Anyway, just wanted to share and hope that it encourages everyone to examine what they put in their bodies. I think CLA/GLA are great "supplements" but are not a panacea for living well.

Good luck everyone! Thanks for sharing your ups and downs and supporting each other!
jwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=jwabbit;13414048]I agree! I just started my liquid CLA today and it tastes awful - it nearly came back up...my burps are also reminiscent of the stale oil taste-ick!

While waiting for the liquid CLA to be in stock, I was taking 2 x 1000mg CLA capsules a day and despite being horse pills, that was much better than this stale oil aftertaste. I'm going to have to try to figure out a way to mask the taste. Tomorrow I'll try metqa's dropper method and report back.

Yeah, its horrible for sure! I've been taking it for almost 2 weeks and I've gotten a little more used to it. I dump it into the back of my throat straight off the measuring spoon and then before I breathe (thus not allowing my tastebuds to work) I drink coffee. No, it doesn't mask the taste but it somehow makes it better in my feeble mind.

I agree that this combo works though. I finally broke out of the 140s for the first time in forever and my clothes fit better, so its definitely worth it.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #50

Congrats Wallee!

You make some good points there Wabbit.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Bikerchick
WOE: LC
Start Date: Oct 9 2012
I started the CLA and Borage today.. yes the tast is quite ick. Hopefully it will get better after a couple of days

Last edited by Bikerchick; 04-27-2010 at 07:46 AM..
Bikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jwabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Yeah, its horrible for sure! I've been taking it for almost 2 weeks and I've gotten a little more used to it. I dump it into the back of my throat straight off the measuring spoon and then before I breathe (thus not allowing my tastebuds to work) I drink coffee. No, it doesn't mask the taste but it somehow makes it better in my feeble mind.
I'll have to try that "direct" method. Yesterday, I mixed it with a bit of cherry vanilla yogurt which made it easier to swallow in a 'gulp' but I still had a "gag moment".

Today, I tried it with lemon extract which definitely masked the smell, but...
I completely forgot what extracts are mostly comprised of: alcohol. It burned my throat a bit but went down faster than the slick oiliness...nothing like a shot of alcohol to start the day!

In my freezer is a small mixture of yogurt and liquid CLA. We'll see if the frozen yogurt method works tomorrow. I'm trying to find a method to do this quickly in the morning without the bad taste. I figure if I don't dread it, I will more likely follow it routinely.

I totally agree that it's all worth it! It can't be right that I've lost 1-lb since starting this on Monday without changing up much of my diet/exercise- can it? Though I must admit, I workout at least 3x a week and eat fairly well so if I keep that up and still lose some weight, I'm all for stale oils!

Have a great day everyone!!
jwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

So Wallee what is your diet plan/exercise plan along with the cla/gla combo? I feel like I am stuck, either i'm exercising to much and not eating enough or something. I just feel like I am not budging and maybe even gaining. Its driving me crazy....

I just want to get back to my 135's again.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

I know how you feel, 135 is where I feel my best and it does drive you crazy trying to get back there, its hard work. I'm so happy that I made it into the 130s even if it IS 139 (lol), its been SO long. I eat low carb 6 out of the 7 days. Saturdays for me is a carb reload day. I eat healthy carbs at breakfast and lunch and then for dinner its a free-for-all. I eat whatever I want and believe me I make the most of this time, lol. Thankfully I'm able to get right back on the low carb train Sunday morning. As far as exercise, I did recently drop one cardio day (thinking maybe I was overdoing it), giving myself 2 rest days a week. I do chalean extreme (just the weight lifting portions, I love it) on Sun, Tues & Th. On Monday I spend about 50 minutes on the treadmill (a lot of incline) and Wednesdays I spend about 20 - 30 (max) minutes on the treadmill. As always, I'll say that this all works for me and I know that I'm fortunate because it wouldn't work for everyone. It took a lot of tweaking to get to this point and I admit I was scared to tweak, lol, but its worth it.

Let me know what you decide to try and how it works for you. If I can help you in any way, let me know. You can do this, don't beat yourself up.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #55

I never thought to mix it with yogurt,Hmm. I like to add virgin coconut oil to my lime yogurt for a key lime flavor.

I'm about to make my morning cocoa bark and I'm gonna add my CLA directly to the Bark. My bottle doesn't smell like funk, but I'm sure the cocoa and the coconut oil could mask the smell/flavor of the stuff you have.

I'm so worried cause when I run out of this bottle I'll have to get a new one and all the new ones sound like they are awful!

ETA: I'm totally thinking of overdosing like Wallee Did! if it gets me any results. I can't seem to loose the belly round at all.

Last edited by metqa; 04-29-2010 at 04:51 AM..
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I'm totally thinking of overdosing like Wallee Did!
Yes, join me!!! Let me know if it helps you when you do it!! And yeah, don't be in a hurry to buy the new stuff.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Magg1088
Stats: 5'9": 231.6 (16) / 228.4 / size 8 or 10
WOE: My own way of LC'ing
Start Date: 29 April 2010
Hi all... I'm new here but have done the CLA/GLA before.. I just started again today. I'm in the military and I have a back injury that has packed on 30 lbs. At 5'9" and a large broad build, I looked good at 200 lbs (size 14), but would like to see if I can get down to 165 - where the charts say I "should" be.

Anyway ~ I'm taking the CLA (pill form ~ I don't know how yas take the oil stuff!), L Glutamine and Chromium Picolinate. Will the CLA not be as effective if I'm not taking GLA as well? I can't find GLA in my area and will buy it online, but until it arrives, I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time..

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks! And nice to meet you all!!
Magg1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kycowgirl
WOE: Low Carb & cla/gla
There is a new company manufactoring this CLA. The other company quit making it. Thats why it is different, but it has the same effects. Try taking it at night in a glass of milk. No burps, no after taste
kycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #59

Well, I'll be ... Why can't companies stick around long enough to make more than one batch of something. When they finally get it right. . .

Maybe we should contact this new company and ask them to get the formula from the old company,the one that doesn't stink!

I'm not looking forward to stinky oil.

Anyway, I've been putting my CLA in my cocoa bark syrup. Even though this oil is tasteless and odorless, you can still tell it's there, but it definitely tolerable, infact in you started making your bark with the CLA it would probably just taste normal, I just have been eating bark for so long I notice minute changes in smell or taste.

Hey Wallee, I've tripled my dose, so let's see what happens. I had taken 1/2 teaspoon, so Now I'm taking 1/2 Tablespoon which is 3x the dose, and I"m taking that twice a day per my cocoa bark.

I'd better start seeing some shrinkage!!

Last edited by metqa; 04-30-2010 at 08:05 AM..
Old 04-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Hey Wallee, I've tripled my dose, so let's see what happens. I had taken 1/2 teaspoon, so Now I'm taking 1/2 Tablespoon which is 3x the dose, and I"m taking that twice a day per my cocoa bark.

I'd better start seeing some shrinkage!!
Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed!!! Report back!!