Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Vitamin D deficiency (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/662077-vitamin-d-deficiency.html)

micatee 02-16-2010 01:00 PM

Vitamin D deficiency

Just got my bloodwork back....the doctor tells me the good news is all the testing came back good .........except my vitamin d 25 hydroxy test....(WTH is that?)....he said he called in a perscription and that I would be taking 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for 8 weeks then I would have to repeat the blood test.

Well I have been feeling exhausted for no reason and for the past 2 weeks I have had alot of hip pain but just chalked it up to getting old....SAD....Blah blah.........

Has anyone taken this 50,000 IU of Vitamin D thing? What was the outcome.
He said vitamin D levels in the body should be 30-50 for the average....mine was 11.

micatee 02-16-2010 01:02 PM

Sorry meant to put this in the playground....how do you move it! Yes my focus and memory is bad too!

Melrose 02-16-2010 01:07 PM

Well, I am taking 50K a week (5K a day) and have been doing so for about 4 or 5 mos. I was originally taking 1200 a day as I am diagnosed as deficient.

Fawn knows a tremendous amount about Vit D, maybe she will come in here.

shawneesioux 02-16-2010 01:10 PM

Wow, yours is even lower than mine; just got my test results back and I'm at 21 ..range is 32 -80 at my Lab. Like you, I'm sure hoping this stuff will help with the tiredness and pains. Good luck to the both of us!

Perdita 02-16-2010 02:00 PM

They are finding out lots of things about vitamin d deficiency.

For example, 80% of all women with breast cancer are vitamin D deficient.

The fact that your doctor is on top of this is a great thing. However, if the vitamin D he is giving you is in RX form and is not called 'cholecalciferol', you should probably just buy supplements from netrition. But do not hesitate to take 50kIU, you'll be fine and will probably feel better.

more info here on the vitamin d 'forms' and why the RX one may not be best:

Vitamin D Pharmacology

texascarl 02-16-2010 02:34 PM

I take vitamin D3 - which is available in gelcaps, as D is a fat-soluble vitamin. I take 6000 D3 per day in winter, 2000 to 3000 in summertime, depending on how much sun I'm getting. This is higher than the recommended daily intake, but the recommendation is lagging behind the research. Note that this vitamin D3 is not the same thing your doctor has prescribed - that's a form of D2. It's available as a prescription, hence it's probably the only vitamin D most doctors are familiar with. A good G.P. learns a lot, but a nutritionist and vitamin researcher he's not, in most cases.

Like many nutrients, it's not 'what you take' but what you're able to process/keep in your body. The D3 and D2 work differently, so even if your doctor is happy with your 25 hydroxy test (shows how much D is in your blood) after 8 weeks on the megadose of D2 he's prescribed, ask if you can switch over to D3 pills from Costco/Wallyworld to maintain and check again in a few months. The D3 has no salesperson pointing out how well it works like the D2 does, so expect to have to educate your doctor yourself. You can websearch on heartscan blog, as doctor William Davis is a cardiologist who has a ton of useful info on vitamin D2/D3, fish oil, and other cardiac-event prevention tips.

With luck, you'll find that adequate vitamin D (and adequate omega 3/fish oil, which go hand in hand) will improve your health and your mood.

JulieA 02-16-2010 07:31 PM

I haven't heard of taking that level. I was told by a doctor 2 years ago to be sure to take at least 2000 units of D3 a day. I had my levels checked a year ago and I was still low. The doctor bumped me to 5000units aday. I read some research on D and found out that it is safe to take up to 20,000 for a short time. If you are exposed to an illness or fighting it off I have read you should take 10,000 units for a couple of days to ward it off. Deficiencies in D are connected to high blood pressure and cardic disease as well as breast cancer.

Speck333 02-20-2010 11:12 PM

May I suggest you simply get more sunlight :) Our bodies naturally make vit. D from UV. Sunning yourself, if even by a window, would likely do you good. Better still taking a walk with exposed arms on sunny days would be better still.

ekizpinoy 02-22-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micatee (Post 13144663)
Just got my bloodwork back....the doctor tells me the good news is all the testing came back good .........except my vitamin d 25 hydroxy test....(WTH is that?)....he said he called in a perscription and that I would be taking 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for 8 weeks then I would have to repeat the blood test.

Well I have been feeling exhausted for no reason and for the past 2 weeks I have had alot of hip pain but just chalked it up to getting old....SAD....Blah blah.........

Has anyone taken this 50,000 IU of Vitamin D thing? What was the outcome.
He said vitamin D levels in the body should be 30-50 for the average....mine was 11.

I am taking 50,000 IU od vitamin D once a week. atleast you have 11, I am 7 the lowest my DR.'s seen since she works in that hospital! same as you exhausted, hip pain, etc.

texascarl 02-22-2010 11:48 PM

Vitamin D Council | Understanding Vitamin D Cholecalciferol

micatee 02-24-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 13163812)
May I suggest you simply get more sunlight :) Our bodies naturally make vit. D from UV. Sunning yourself, if even by a window, would likely do you good. Better still taking a walk with exposed arms on sunny days would be better still.

Sounds easy but I live in Ohio and winters are grey....when the sun is out I go for a walk but those days have been far and few here!:(

GME 02-24-2010 08:28 AM

I live in CA and run pretty regularly. I was still deficient. Sometimes sunlight just isn't enough.

DiamondDeb 02-25-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 13163812)

Actually, it is difficult for most people to get the necessary D from sunlight. And it can only happen certain times of the year, certain hours of the day, certain locations. Many doctors say not even to try; supplementation is a better choise especially with the proven risk of cancer from the sun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 13177304)
I live in CA and run pretty regularly. I was still deficient. Sometimes sunlight just isn't enough.

I was deficient even when doing a lot of cycling outside in Florida, The Sunshine State.

I supplement with Carlson DDrops (Vitamin D3) and my Vitamin D level is going up. It is in the normal range now but it is not optimal yet.

Butiful 02-26-2010 08:39 PM

I have suffered from Sarcoidosis (an autoimmune disease) for over 40 yrs...lost a kidney, etc from it. I now am on a treatment (started my 6th year in January) that is saving my life. My 25D level is 5.
Since Vit D is not really a vitamin but a seco steriod, I refuse to take any supplements and I am getting well. There is new science out there.
I cover my skin when I go outside to keep from getting sun on my skin.

anulu 03-07-2010 05:14 PM

I am taking 4,000 or 5,000 IU daily, if I eat fish, only 4k, if not then 5k... I don't know what I'll do in the summer, though.

beachguy 03-10-2010 11:45 AM

You can also get a shot to get it back to normal quickly and then supplement to keep it there. My doc told me the current recommendation was to get it back to normal as quickly as possible.

Minnas 03-15-2010 05:24 PM

I was given the supplements you got for a month then went to 6,000 units a day in the form of D3 (Carlson's drops). I have not yet had my test retaken but am hopefully I am moving in the right direction.

Sunlight was useless for me. Sat naked in the backyard every single day for 30 minutes and nothing. Big, fat nothing. Gave the neighbors a cheap thrill but otherwise, nothing.:D I am crazy for sunscreen so I really had hoped that would do it but it was just a big waste of good time.

Yellobrix 03-16-2010 07:06 AM

Personally, I am a believer in the tanning bed. I know that's controversial, however, it is interesting to note that when you tan in a low or medium pressure bed, rather than a a super-fast, high pressure bed, you're getting a lot of UVB light. UVB uses your body's own cholesterol to synthesize Vit D. If you go to a tanning salon, they try to sell you on the high pressure UVA beds, but UVA does not generate Vit D.

When Vit D is synthesized in the body, it stays in the body much longer, allowing you to achieve optimum levels.

I go 2x week, 12-15 minutes, and ai take a Vit D OTC supplement as well.

Missouri_Librarian 03-22-2010 11:19 AM

I also was very low and my endo gave me a script for 50,000 iu to take every day for a month and then 50,000 iu once a week,...after i went to the once a month, I felt horrible and missed that daily dose alot..I was so tired and fatigued and grouchy and am calling him this week to have him increase it back to daily instead of weekly....It is a life saver for me and my moods...

Lillianna 03-23-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian (Post 13282864)
I also was very low and my endo gave me a script for 50,000 iu to take every day for a month and then 50,000 iu once a week,...after i went to the once a month, I felt horrible and missed that daily dose alot..I was so tired and fatigued and grouchy and am calling him this week to have him increase it back to daily instead of weekly....It is a life saver for me and my moods...

Hi MO Librarian...I haven't read the whole post so this may have already been mentioned. I've read many times that the 50,000 mg prescription is D2 and not as easily absorbed as the D3 that you can buy over the counter. The 50,000 dose sounds impressive but I think it's just a way for the pharmaceutical companies to keep you from buying OTC. If I were you I'd take 10,000 mg of D3 until your levels come up. Many of the D3 pills come in a 2000 pill so you'd only have to take five. You can find them at any drug store. Good luck!

Missouri_Librarian 03-23-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillianna (Post 13287233)
Hi MO Librarian...I haven't read the whole post so this may have already been mentioned. I've read many times that the 50,000 mg prescription is D2 and not as easily absorbed as the D3 that you can buy over the counter. The 50,000 dose sounds impressive but I think it's just a way for the pharmaceutical companies to keep you from buying OTC. If I were you I'd take 10,000 mg of D3 until your levels come up. Many of the D3 pills come in a 2000 pill so you'd only have to take five. You can find them at any drug store. Good luck!

Thank you, I will check that out....I feel horrible today like I have the flu and was going to make an appt to see him tomorrow, and see if this is all connected....I just checked my script bottle and it doesnt say exactly, just says Vit D 50,000 iu....thanks for the info....the cost wasnt bad with my insurance when i was taking it daily, it was 8.00 for the 30 pills for the co-pay...the bad part was when he switched me to weekly it was still 8.00 for the 4 pills,,,thats an expensive 4 pills...:annoyed:....thanks again for the info....Stacy

Missouri_Librarian 03-23-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks, just found them and walgreens is having a buy one get one free sale on vitamins...:clap:

lisabinil 03-23-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Listen to your doc. The 50,000 IU is given for a reason-you need to get your levels up quickly. Again severe Vitamin D deficiency can cause heart palpitations and even heart attack in some as well as a host of other painful symptoms. I take the Vitamin D script and it does pull levels up quickly and my head hasn't blown up, my eyes popped out of my head, my limbs rotted away etc. :laugh: Use your common sense and check with your doc and/or pharmacist before taking any OTC supps/vits-don't self medicate it can be dangerous.

Lillianna 03-25-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 13287661)
Listen to your doc. The 50,000 IU is given for a reason-you need to get your levels up quickly. Again severe Vitamin D deficiency can cause heart palpitations and even heart attack in some as well as a host of other painful symptoms. I take the Vitamin D script and it does pull levels up quickly and my head hasn't blown up, my eyes popped out of my head, my limbs rotted away etc. :laugh: Use your common sense and check with your doc and/or pharmacist before taking any OTC supps/vits-don't self medicate it can be dangerous.

Vitamin D2 Is Much Less Effective than Vitamin D3 in Humans -- Armas et al. 89 (11): 5387 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
Hi Lisa, my doctor recommended the OTC D3 but so many other doctors prescribe the D2 so I did a little research to find out what the difference was. In every study I came across I found that the D3 was far superior...

lisabinil 03-25-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillianna (Post 13296738)
Vitamin D2 Is Much Less Effective than Vitamin D3 in Humans -- Armas et al. 89 (11): 5387 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
Hi Lisa, my doctor recommended the OTC D3 but so many other doctors prescribe the D2 so I did a little research to find out what the difference was. In every study I came across I found that the D3 was far superior...

It is superior but the D2 is scripted at 50,000 IU which is needed to rapidly raise the levels when they are dangerously low. You have to weigh the risks and what symptoms you having when you are very low on Vit D-I was at 10 and couldn't get out of bed, severe bone pain and started having chest pains. You can have a heart attack with extremely low Vit D levels-you have to judge for yourself and use common sense. The D2 script will not kill you or make you sicker. I take my scrip, CLO & Carlson's Drops. To get 50,000 IU's of Carlsons you would have to take 25 drops of it.

shebasmudder 03-25-2010 04:42 PM

Also, diabetics are often Vitamin D3 deficient.

leisha 03-29-2010 01:08 PM

I'm glad to find this thread! I've been reading so much about vitamin D3
over the weekend. I'm not a "sun" person at all so I'm going to have my
levels tested and start supplementing. I was amazed by some video and
newsletters I read. I too, am considering tanning beds again. I think the
correct kind with UVB rays could only help!

lyn8070 04-06-2010 06:44 PM

I am very glad to find this thread. I just came back from my Dr. visit, and was told my Vit D was low. Like others, was prescribed 50,000 unit tabs to be taken each week, and to aim for 2000 units daily.
I didnt' realize there was a difference between D2 and D3. Will need to up my D3.

Am also getting headaches and itchy hives/lumps on arms, legs. My lips swell and neither the dr nor the allergist knows the cause, but have me on zyrtec daily. I don't like it - if I take it at dinner time, it makes me drowsy well into the next morning.

micatee 04-07-2010 08:21 AM

I have one more perscrption 50,000 iu pill to take then I go for bloodwork. I still get headaches but alot of the pains in my hip and muscles have subsided. My vision still gets blurry but I do feel better than I did 8 weeks ago!

lisabinil 04-07-2010 09:22 AM

Good for you Micatee! I am feeling much better also and actually felt energized after exercising today-doesn't happen a lot for me. :D