Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micatee
Waiting for my new blood work results
micatee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CJRogue
Stats: 215/200/185
WOE: "All the steak you can eat" diet LOL
Start Date: December 2011
My Vit D was low, doc just prescribed D3 for me, kind of glad to see it's not uncommon.
CJRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #33
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Mine was extremely low also.. I was put on the once a week prescribed D3 (It is a Green gel filled pill) and just had my bloodwork done again and they said my D was now 52.. Not sure what it is suppose to be but they said that it was good.. I like taking those because it is once a week instead of a daily pill.

Diane.. I know this is an older thread but how were the results that you were waiting for? Did it help you?
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #34
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Cheri, are you going to continue taking the once per week gelcap? Isn't that the 50,000 IU one?

I was on those briefly. Idiotic doctor saw my levels increase, declared me cured & discontinued it. One guess what happened next. I supplement on my own now & my current doctor is always checking my levels.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #35
Administrator

I asked them if I can continue them (I'd rather take pills once a week rather then daily because I forget all the time) but we got distracted when the dr came in. My mom has also been on them for a lot longer then I was.. I think this could run in families but it could be a coincidence. I am going to talk to them about it again and will let you know what they say.. The other doctor who put me on them said for me to take them for 12 weeks and then switch to the regular ones (5000) twice a day for maintenance.. Then check again 3 months later..

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Mine was extremely low also.. I was put on the once a week prescribed D3 (It is a Green gel filled pill) and just had my bloodwork done again and they said my D was now 52.. Not sure what it is suppose to be but they said that it was good..
This is so interesting. Once I started supplementing, I stopped getting colds. Looks like you are a success!
Per my Life Extension article, it said:

When blood is tested to assess vitamin D status, what is actually measured is the metabolically active 25-hydroxyvitamin D form of the vitamin in the serum.
What Are Minimum Vitamin D Blood Levels?

When irrefutable data emerged about vitamin D’s role in preventing disease, experts initially recommended a minimum target blood level of 30 ng/mL of 25-hydroxyvitamin D.

In recognition of findings showing reduced incidences of disease in those with higher vitamin D levels, the standard laboratory reference range for 25-hydroxyvitamin D was raised to 32-100 ng/mL.

Based on recent and conclusive published studies, Life Extension's new minimum target level for optimal disease prevention is over 50 ng/mL of 25-hydroxyvitamin D.49-54
Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #37

Cheri, my mom has low Vitamin D3 and has to supplement, too. I I hadn't thought about it possibly running in families but it might.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
Administrator

Thank you for the information Beverly.. Its nice to see what the levels should be.. I will have to see if my mom is doing better also..

Deb.. I finally heard back from my doctors office about continuing taking the prescripton vitamin D.. My nurse said now that my D levels are good I should just take one 5000 IU capsule once a week.. If it goes low again then I will up it. I wasn't taking any vitamin D when I found out I was low.. I am getting retested for my iron in 3 months so they will probably test my D as well just to make sure it is holding... Oh and I was told one of my sisters D levels were low also.. hmmm
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #39

5000 per week sounds pretty low to me, Cheri. I hope it is enough for you.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leeney
Stats: 142/136/129
WOE: low carb
I just found this thread. Almost a year ago, but I hope someone can help me out. I was just diagnosed with low Vit. D, my number was 15. The doctor has not called me in yet to discuss it, but I bought some D-3, cholecalciferol/1,000 iu last night. One pill has 1,000 iu. How many should I start with per day?
I have felt like crap for weeks and it's getting worse. And my hips have been hurting so bad...some days I can hardly get my shoes on. I have hip replacements and at first I thought that was the problem. If clearing up this deficiency solves my hip pain, gosh what a blessing that will be!
leeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Do you guys take your OTC D3 with meals? Just adding them and up popped this thread. Very timely!
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnite View Post
Do you guys take your OTC D3 with meals? Just adding them and up popped this thread. Very timely!
Yes, take your D3 with a meal that contains fat.

Leeney, your doctor may put you on a prescription level D3 for a while. You'll see a big range in what is suggested but you will need to take a higher dose for a while.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I take alot of vitamin D and it has improved things for me greatly. My intake won't be your intake for sure. I was at 35 when I tested last, and I had depression, joint pain, and other symptoms. When my vitamin D gets into the 50s, my joint pain disappears entirely and when it gets above 70 my seasonal depression goes away. I live out in the rocky mountains in the middle of nowhere at the bottom of a canyon. The mountains tower above me about 3,000ft, the sun doesn't even get over the mountains so at the height of winter, I get zero sunlight on my house. I'm now getting about 10 or 15 minutes. But that's still depressing. (I have a light box too).

Because of my own medical history, being up to date on the latest research about vitamins and nutrition is the difference between life and death, literally. Most of my research indicates optimal levels are 80 on the lab results. Furthermore, low vitamin D levels prevents calcium from being absorbed enough. That's double the trouble on bones and joints.

Last edited by mountaingirl30; 01-16-2013 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Grammar
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeney View Post
I just found this thread. Almost a year ago, but I hope someone can help me out. I was just diagnosed with low Vit. D, my number was 15. The doctor has not called me in yet to discuss it, but I bought some D-3, cholecalciferol/1,000 iu last night. One pill has 1,000 iu. How many should I start with per day?
I have felt like crap for weeks and it's getting worse. And my hips have been hurting so bad...some days I can hardly get my shoes on. I have hip replacements and at first I thought that was the problem. If clearing up this deficiency solves my hip pain, gosh what a blessing that will be!
Check with your Dr. My levels were also 16 a few years ago. My Dr. likes to see 1,000 IU's for every 20 lbs. of weight. So, if I weigh 160 I should be on 8,000 IU's. I take 5,000 daily in the Summer and 10,000 in the Winter. I have my levels checked every 6 months when I do my Thyroid bloodwork.

The softgels in oil are recommended over the tabs. I get NOW brand 5,000 in Olive Oil pretty cheap from Amazon.

I don't take mine with a meal because I have to wait a certain amount of time after taking Thyroid Meds. I just take them at bedtime.

The studies on whether or not you should be taking K-2 to balance out Vitamin D supplementation is inconclusive, but I'm taking it anyway.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leeney
Stats: 142/136/129
WOE: low carb
Well, I do need to call my Doc. about it. She sent the results but hasn't called me about it. I guess I'm supposed to call her. We just moved and this is a new Doc. Anyway, my supplements are 1,000 per pill. so if I were to need, say 7,000, do you spread that out through the day or take them all at once? Or does it matter?
leeney is offline   Reply With Quote