Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/140.4/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
~*~ Winter 2009 CLA/GLA...& Whatever is Working For You !!~*~

This thread is for anyone wanting to know about the CLA/GLA combo "and" whatever plan is working for you !!!

Come join us and share your plan

"Welcome"

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable healthcare provider.

What is CLA/GLA?
Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) to promote lean muscle while burning fat.
Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA) for its many beneficial effects in fighting muscle inflammation and supporting the immune system. From a fat loss perspective, GLA is vital in supporting the production of two strong fat burning hormones...growth hormone and the bodys primary calorie burning hormone, thyroid hormone.

GLA should be taken with food

Most effective daily dose...
CLA 3400 mg (1/2 Tbsp liquid once a day, or 5 Tonalin or Spring Valley capsules)
GLA 500-1000 mg (2-4 Borage Oil caps a day)

How does CLA work?

A: CLA prevents fat from being deposited into the cells by speeding up the body's fat metabolism. CLA also helps the body metabolize existing fat deposits. This fat then returns to the blood stream where it is used as energy by muscle cells and the liver. CLA activates genes that trigger fat cell death, shrinks fat cells, speeds up metabolism.

CLA Turns on Fat Breakdown Genes
CLA Boosts Endurance

How does GLA work?
A: Numerous research studies have examined the role of GLA for improving health, specifically in the area of weight loss. GLA from borage oil causes less body fat to accumulate. Borage oil owes its healing power to the presence of essential fatty acids, the most important of which is GLA, an omega-6 fatty acid. (While borage oil is often used interchangeably with evening primrose oil, ounce for ounce, borage oil boasts more than twice as much GLA.)

Guidelines for Use
Taking borage oil with food may boost GLA absorption and minimize unpleasant side effects.
If you take an anticoagulant (blood-thinning) medication, check with your doctor before trying borage oil. The are no other known drug or nutrient interactions associated with borage oil.

Possible Side Effects ...

Borage oil may cause loose stools and minor stomach problems.
Other benefits of Borage Oil...
Reduce the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis
Clear up acne and rosacea
Alleviate inflammation associated with lupus
Prevent nerve damage (neuropathy) due to diabetes
Combat damage from multiple sclerosis
Ease cough and soothe throat disorders
Treat Alzheimer's-related memory deficiencies
Reduce stress and high blood pressure
Nourish nails, scalp, and hair
Counter impotence and female infertility

CLA Q&A
Is CLA Safe to Take With My Thyroid Medications?
There's no evidence that CLA, a food supplement, interacts with thyroid medications, or poses any special dangers to thyroid patients. But you should always discuss any supplements you intend to take with your own physician or practitioner before starting.

Is CLA Only for People with Thyroid Problems?
Absolutely not. The studies have shown that it's effective in general for reducing/converting fat. You don't have to have a thyroid problem -- you just have to be overweight - to benefit from CLA.

How Much Should I Take?

The study found that 3.4 grams of CLA was needed in order to get the benefits. That's 3,400 mg. Since the various formulas contain a percentage of other oils as ingredients, it's wise to probably calculate how much each pill is delivering to make sure you're getting the full 3.4 grams a day. For example, if your capsule contains 75% CLA, and it's 1000 mg, then you're getting 750 mg of CLA, and would need 5 per day to get to the 3.4 grams level.

How Should I Take It?

The various recommendations differ here. Some recommendations suggest to take it before eating. Others suggest to take it with meals. Take it preferably with lowfat or nonfat milk for maximum protein absorption. Personally, I'm taking it right before I eat with some milk.

Does CLA Have Any Side Effects?

Some people report feeling slightly green or nauseous after taking their CLA, or isolated cases of gastrointestinal upset or loose stools. These side effects typically are reduced when the product is taken with protein (i.e.,with milk), and usually decrease after about 2 weeks taking the supplement.

Usually, in the first three weeks, the abdominal fat "pooch" starts shrinking. Other "fattier" areas (such as cheeks, upper arms, rear end) seemed to be slowly reducing as well. You may notice that your appetite is somewhat reduced. You may feel a bit green after taking the CLA the first couple days, but if you take it with milk, or protein it shouldeliminate that problem.

Some may prefer the liquid CLA from Netrition. One bottle which is $19.99 lasts a full month. You just take 1/2 Tbsp a day to get your full dose. You may also prefer to get your Borage Oil from Netrition. It has a higher GLA content, so less pills to take, and more pills per bottle than other brands. So by getting your combo from Netrition, its alot cheaper than taking all the caps from other stores.

On the first of each month you can post progress pics with your cla/gla results. You will not be pressured to post them if your not comfortable doing so. Some of us feel we stay more accountable if we do, and it helps that others can see good changes in the update pics that we cannot see ourselves. If you choose not to post them, thats ok, but please take them anyway for yourself to compare updates with. Thats where you will see the changes.

If you're taking CLA, don't take your Omega-3s at the same time. They will compete against each other for absorption. Leave at least a 3 hour window when taking both.

If you take an anti-coagulant (blood-thinning) medication, check with your doctor before trying borage oil

Tonalin CLA-1200 (Natrol) $14.49
Serving Size: 5 softgels a day
90 softgels
Natrol CLA

Natrol CLA Plus with Clarinol $19.99
Serving Size: 1/2 Tablespoon a day
Servings per Container: 30
Conjugated linoleic acid: 3400 mg
Clarinol CLA Plus

ThinFat (VPX) $17.95
Serving Size: 1/2 tablespoon a day
Servings Per Container: 32
VPX*ThinFat

NOW Borage Oil $14.99
Serving Size: 2-4 per day
Capsules Per Container: 120
NOW Borage Oil
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #2

First!! I guess that was sorta unfair, eh?
I'm taking a break from CLA/GLA for a couple of weeks, but I'll be back on it for a while then I have to take another short break from it.

But I've got to say I do like the new liquid. the dose is so small and easy to take!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UpErMei
Stats: 158/165/128
I got my Netrition order today so I'm starting with you gals!

I bought the Now brand CLA and just realized that I will have to take 12 capsules a day to get enough (3 caps=800mg)! UGH!

Next time I'll go with a different brand.

Anyway, I'll measure and weigh tonight or tomorrow morning.

UpErMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #4

Hiya Seldom!

Oh, you didn't get the liquid? well you oughtta try that next time. Happy Monday!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbF69
Stats: 220/128/120
WOE: Low glycemic/low carb +fasted/HIIT cardio/weights
Start Date: 1/19/2009
I'm here I'm here!!! About to take my combo part 2 right now!
LowCarbF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Justachic
Stats: no scales-5'6
WOE: customized
Start Date: Restarted Jan 9, 2008
LOL! I didn't even realize we had been posting on one that said summer. I just know where to find the one we post on here.

Oh Kimlou, Oh Trisha.....Are you gals stuck in virtual land somewhere? Ha ha...Your cafes are beautiful by the way!

It's been cold out and I LOVE it! Hope everyone is enjoying the cold season so far.
Justachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tom_912
Stats: 222/213/195
WOE: Atkins with cla/gla
Start Date: 9/26/2005 again
everyone

I've been back on the new liquid cla and I am loving it. I'm having to pull my belt in another knotch every few days 4 since starting. I am away from home in Atlanta for this week on training, eating good except for last night when we all went to the cheesecake factory

thanks for starting the new thread Metqa!!

Tom
tom_912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #8

It's Raining in Atlanta, don't get wet. I don't even wanna leave the house.

Cool about the pants getting loser. don't let 'em fall off!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Hi! Where are you getting the new smaller-dose liquid CLA? Would love to try it! Lost around 25 pounds a few years ago with the capsules, but this sounds so much easier and am eager to try it!

Thanks!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #10

Netrition has it. Just click on the blue words that say liquid CLA, and it will take you straight to it.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Metga!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #12

AAAAHHH! Jiggle! I love your Siggy!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hi CLA/GLA ladies!

I've been on the combo for a day now, so I haven't noticed any changes. I did weigh this morning and am 155. This sounds weird, but I looked a wee bit thinner in the tummy than I would have thought for 155. That is probably in my mind though. I'm pretty much an hourglass shape, but a really *chunky* hourglass if that makes sense! My tummy is the main area I hate...although it's 11-12 smaller than my waist, it's full of loosey goosey cellulite fat, kwim?

I'm in college FT, but take my final exam today (hee, should be studying!). I have an almost 4 week break before Winter quarter begins in Jan. I would LOVE to drop 10 lbs in that time. IF I stick to LC and if I stick to this combo, I will be better off in a months time.

Anyway, I did have one question......what physical changes have do you all notice on the combo? Also, how is your mood?

TIA!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kycowgirl
WOE: Low Carb & cla/gla
metqa, thanks for updating the thread. The product info needs updated on the next one since a couple of them listed are no longer available.

seldomcontent, From my experience with it (on and off since 2005), it really "defines" your waist and melts backfat pretty quickly. I saw good results starting at about 3 weeks, and great results in the first 3 months. I lost 16 inches and around 20 pounds in that time, and my hubby Tom lost close to 30lbs in the same time frame. I haven't made it past the 3 month mark before I cave and start eating trashy again . I like this new liquid cla better than all the others so far. It has no taste and no after effects for me like burping it up all day. I add it to a glass of low fat milk and take it that way with my borage oil caps. Hope that helps

Hi chic, Kim, Phil and all the new ones joining

chic, those darn games on Facebook are way too addicting

My old computer crashed and Tom got me a new one early for Christmas . We went and got him a new one today for his early Christmas present . It took awhile to get everything moved over from the laptop, and then the disc thingy on the laptop died so I had to copy stuff to a stick thingy and move it that way. Took forever !!! but I got it all saved wheeeeew !!!

My daughter is doing really well on the combo. She had to cut back to one dose a day cuz of bathroom issues though :blush:. never did that to me. Her back fat and belly are really shrinking. Shes impressed with it big time !!!

Braving the Mall tomorrow, girls day out Christmas shopping. I'm skeered
Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

CLA Options.....

Tonalin CLA-1200
Natrol CLA
90 softgels $14.49
Servings Per Container: 18
Recommended Use: Take 5 softgels daily with a meal

PVL Liquid CLA-3
PVL Liquid CLA-3
8.5 fl oz $25.99
Serving Size: 1/2 Teaspoon (2.5 ml)
Servings Per Container: 96
Recommended Use: 1/2 teaspoon, 2-3 times daily with meals.

THE WORLD’S FIRST ETHYL ESTER LIQUID CLA
• Breakthrough Ethyl Ester Delivery System!
• 33% More Thermo-Active CLA Per Dose!
• Delivers Awe-Inspiring Results!

CLA works best when “cycled”, by using it for 3-4 weeks on and coming off for 2 weeks, before going on again.

WHAT IS LIQUID CLA-3?
The world’s first ethyl ester Liquid CLA! CLA is a “fat burning” oil, and until now, the only way to get CLA was to down handfuls of capsules. Not anymore – now there’s LIQUID CLA-3 – faster, more convenient, and you get more servings per bottle than any gelcap! Exclusive to Liquid CLA-3 is the all new Ethyl Ester delivery technology too. A pharmaceuti-cally-inspired delivery matrix, clinically devel-oped to infuse up to 60% more CLA into your system – directly! No gelcaps, no raw oil, no waste – just “designer” CLA for stripping off body fat, faster than any other CLA before!

WHAT DOES LIQUID CLA-3 DO?
CLA is oil – oil that burns body fat. This may seem odd at fi rst, but it has been proven over and over, that CLA literally helps melt fat right off your body!

WHAT DOES CLA STAND FOR?
CLA stands for Conjugated Linoleic Acid. CLA is a naturally occurring fatty acid (oil) normally found in high fat foods such as cheese or beef. CLA can come from either sunflower or safflower oil. Liquid CLA-3 chooses safflower oil as the starting material for its’ superior CLA ratios. The oil undergoes a “super concentration” to yield the active CLA, in the highest concentration ever in an ethyl ester oil!

HOW DOES CLA REDUCE BODY FAT?
CLA works to reduce body fat by prevent-ing fat accumulation in fat cells. Fat normally enters the fat cell through a “door” that is controlled by an enzyme, the “key”. By acting on this enzyme, or “key”, CLA keeps the “fat door” locked. When the “fat door” is locked, fat cannot enter the cells thereby not allowing the amount of fat to increase in the cells. The less fat that is present in the cells, the smaller they become and this helps to reduce the level of fat in the body. CLA also works to increase lean muscle tissue activity (calorie burning) by enhancing the enzyme activity in muscle cells. So it works 2 ways; it blocks fat from entering fat cells and it stimulates greater lean tissue activity which burns calories.

HOW MUCH LIQUID CLA-3 SHOULD I TAKE?
1 teaspoon delivers 4 grams of CLA – the same amount scientifi cally proven to get you lean AND improve your musculature, even while dieting. But that amount of active CLA could only be obtained before by eating over 5,000 calories per day of high fat foods, such as cheese and beef. PVL now delivers this pure isolated CLA, so you can now get just the pure CLA - without all the calories! And in our new easy to use Liquid CLA-3, up to 8 or even 12 grams of CLA per day may be taken, easily!

SUPER FAST
With our new liquid CLA-3, you get all the power of CLA, instantly! To get the most benefi t, our liquid makes getting the right maximum dose super easy! Just 1 full teaspoon is equivalent to 4 gelcaps, so you can get maxi-mum benefi t in record time!

WHY MAKES CLA-3 BETTER THAN OTHER CLA BRANDS?
1. Liquid CLA-3 gets absorbed faster – no waiting for a capsule to break apart. Just pure, instanta-neous thermonuclear meltdown!
2. Liquid CLA-3 delivers 33% MORE active CLA than capsules. One dose (1 teaspoon) is all you need per day – it’s THAT effective!
3. Exclusive to Liquid CLA-3 is the all new Ethyl Ester delivery technology. A pharmaceutically- inspired delivery matrix, clinically developed to infuse up to 60% more CLA into your system – directly!
4. Only Liquid CLA-3 also guarantees to deliver the only 2 CLA isomers that have been researched and shown to do all the actual “fat loss” work; “Cis-9 Trans-11 Isomer” & the “Trans-10 Cis-12 Isomer”. Only these 2 isomers can properly be called CLA and they must be present in your CLA supplement for it to be real CLA. (These 2 isomers make up 100% of the CLA in CLA-3 and they’re printed proudly right on the label. Only Liquid CLA-3 clearly labels these 2 isomers, the real CLA. If your CLA gelcap does not list those 2 isomers right on their label – upgrade now, to Liquid CLA-3 from PVL.)

Last edited by kycowgirl; 12-12-2009 at 05:30 PM..
kycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #17

Thanks Trish, I forgot about the disc Items and the new stuff.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

No problemo
Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Trisha....thanks for all that good info about liquid CLA! I have no problem taking capsules, but add the 12 CLAs to the handful of other supplements I take and I get naseated thinking about!

Also, thanks for being so very candid about your "struggle". Alot of people here see eating junky things as a horrible character flaw, when really it's just being human. I am touched by your candidness. You know what, see that sticky at the top of the supplements page...the one started by Shae? Well, that's me! I'm Shae! I got so embarrassed of never sticking to the plan that I finally just left LCFs for good! I've been back a little while now and really want to make it this time, kwim? I'm tired of being 20-30 lbs overweight.

Anyway, I appreciate this thread and can't wait to see my results in 8 weeks!

Off to order the liquid!

Shae
Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Shae, pleased to meet you . It has been a struggle for me. But I am not giving up. I love this thread. Its so supportive and we do not flame anyone here. I hope everyone feels comfortable coming here and posting whats really going on with their life and struggles with weight loss. It really helps knowing your not alone and certainly not perfect and never cheat lol. I get discouraged and stop posting at times when I have no good news to share, but I need to stop doing that. We all make mistakes but the people on this thread are always here with open arms no matter what, so I keep coming back
Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #21

Welcome Back to LCG Seldom.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Anyone done Christmas shopping yet????
Old 12-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #23

I am. Token gifts from the dollar store. Now I just need to bake some almonds for the other gifts and I'll be done.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
OK I am here !!!!!!! I am so tired of virtual games..... but... I go back every day . so I am weaning myself away from them, just playing a couple of them. . All carpal tunnel surgeries are over and I am healing fine.So I have to get myself moving again. Been working out (well more than I was).

I did not make all those cookies and candies I normally do... so if they aren't here I am not tempted to eat them.

to our new friends

Trish.... just spell it out exactly... what, when and how many....
I need to place an order soon , so I want to get what I need w/one order.

Who like the new Liquid CLA better ?... I do, the other was just nasty.

My non LC splurge of the day... when I take the liquid, I have to have something w/flavor so I mix mine with a very small amount of New Moon (very tasty) Non Fat Chocolate milk.

This year, I'm going to appreciate the little things that make my life good, and the not so good will be ignored. I feel really good about that.

Dear Lord, If you can't make me skinny... make my friends fatter !!
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #25
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tom_912
Stats: 222/213/195
WOE: Atkins with cla/gla
Start Date: 9/26/2005 again
Kim, I like the new liquid a million times better. I just take it by the spoon no real taste to it at all and it is working well for me.

I spent a week in Atlanta eating mostly on plan cept at night like going to the cheesecake factory I maintained my weight and today when I saw myself in the mirror at work I could really see a difference in my belly.

I hope to be able to do good through the rest of the holiday, I know I'll fall off plan here and there but I'll jump right back on.

to everyone
CLA/GLA Rocks
"You Are Who You Think You Are" Challenge
[COLOR="Red"]LCF Chat Admin[/COLOR]
tom_912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #26

I like the new CLA liquid compared to taking all the caps. It is easier not to forget when it is so easy to take. I'd been putting it into warmed soup some days, and others just downing it. I got a dropper glass tube, that holds the exact dose, yay!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_912 View Post
Kim, I like the new liquid a million times better. I just take it by the spoon no real taste to it at all and it is working well for me.

I spent a week in Atlanta eating mostly on plan cept at night like going to the cheesecake factory I maintained my weight and today when I saw myself in the mirror at work I could really see a difference in my belly.

I hope to be able to do good through the rest of the holiday, I know I'll fall off plan here and there but I'll jump right back on.

to everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I like the new CLA liquid compared to taking all the caps. It is easier not to forget when it is so easy to take. I'd been putting it into warmed soup some days, and others just downing it. I got a dropper glass tube, that holds the exact dose, yay!

Tom---.... Ok I tried it this am... alone.... not again !!!

Metq--- soup good idea !! Downing it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ nope !
Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

lol Kim, I cannot down it either, too slimy . I add mine to low fat milk. I'm about to start taking it again after going off for 2 weeks like it suggested. I have not regained any weight so far, even though I am still hitting the cheese logs with multi-grain crackers at work :blush:. I take 1/2 Teaspoon and 3 Borage caps, 2X a day. Once in the morning when i get home from work and go to bed around 5:30am, the other right before I go to work at 5pm. I just got some new DVD's to try. Core Rythms. It came with 4 workouts. Now if I can just get motivated enough to actually try them .
Old 12-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #29

Does being ratted out help with motivation?

BF and I have decided to make exercise plans for each other, but instead of using a calandar and stickers ( I adore stickers) he says I should make a website and post on it that he can see what I've done or not done! No Way! I don't wanna!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycowgirl View Post
lol Kim, I cannot down it either, too slimy . I add mine to low fat milk. I'm about to start taking it again after going off for 2 weeks like it suggested. I have not regained any weight so far, even though I am still hitting the cheese logs with multi-grain crackers at work :blush:. I take 1/2 Teaspoon and 3 Borage caps, 2X a day. Once in the morning when i get home from work and go to bed around 5:30am, the other right before I go to work at 5pm. I just got some new DVD's to try. Core Rythms. It came with 4 workouts. Now if I can just get motivated enough to actually try them .
I think I have the same DVDs.... I am just not graceful... even my dog goes nad lays on the porch when I workout/dance/sing.... hmmm, wonder whats up with that ? LOL

The weed after the holidays ????????