Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bfuser
Stats: 221/213/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 2006
Anyone here Take Cinnamon?

At the beginning of the summer my doctor recommended taking cinnamon either as a tea or as a supplement to lower my blood sugar twice a day after my two biggest meals..

I just want to report that after 8 weeks I have experienced a drop in my blood sugar to the middle normal range, a drop in weight, and a drop in BP. I have to admit I was very dubious about cinnamon's ability to lower blood sugar, but I guess it works!

Does anyone else take cinnamon supplements?
bfuser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cookie34
Stats: 273/186/150
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: 5/20/2012
There is a thread floating around here where everyone was taking cinnamon.. I don't know the link, but you can search for it.. Seems like some were losing faster too.
cookie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 188.6/187.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 10/19/13
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cinnamon are you taking? Thanks!
ncgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
My mother was taking it in capsules and it helped her bs but she had stomach issues with it so had to discontinue taking them.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #5

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuser View Post
At the beginning of the summer my doctor recommended taking cinnamon either as a tea or as a supplement to lower my blood sugar twice a day after my two biggest meals..

I just want to report that after 8 weeks I have experienced a drop in my blood sugar to the middle normal range, a drop in weight, and a drop in BP. I have to admit I was very dubious about cinnamon's ability to lower blood sugar, but I guess it works!

i use a tsp of cinn at least once a day.. doesnt do anything for me but i should clarify i wasnt using it for Bs.. i like it...

would you say it might have to do with getting thyroid optimized?

Last edited by inatic; 09-12-2009 at 11:55 AM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme1211
Stats: 169/149LDW/135(R1) 144.4/135/135(R3) 5'6"
WOE: Simeon's HCG Protocol - R3P2
Start Date: 07/11/09 (R1) 10/03/09 (R2) 12/10/09 (R3)
A lot of us on Simeon's HCG September thread are taking either Cinnergen or Cinnamon tablets with great results (in both lowering of BS and aiding in weight loss).
Meme1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dystany1
Stats: 151(7/13/09)*130(9/20/09)
WOE: Low GI carbs only/Clean Eating & P90X
Start Date: 07/13/09
Quote:

That is wonderful! I love eating cinnamon but I did not know they were in supplement form now too. Glad your doctor told you about them and you have had success with them.
Dystany1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme1211
Stats: 169/149LDW/135(R1) 144.4/135/135(R3) 5'6"
WOE: Simeon's HCG Protocol - R3P2
Start Date: 07/11/09 (R1) 10/03/09 (R2) 12/10/09 (R3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl37 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cinnamon are you taking? Thanks!
Hi NCGirl. We haven't seen you for a while on the Simeon's HCG September thread. How are you? You are missed.
Meme1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steve Parker
Stats: 173/168/160
WOE: Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet
Start Date: September 1, 2009
The journal Diabetes Care in 2008 published an article dispelling the idea that cinnamon was helpful for controlling blood sugars. I blogged about it here:
http://advancedmediterraneandiet.com/blog/?p=90

Sure, they could be wrong.

You can click through and read the original study.

-Steve
Steve Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #10

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have tried the supplement Cinnergen and it helped me blow past my goal weight!! I was floored to have lost about 5 pounds in a week when I was struggling to lose those last few pounds. It was amazing!! I had tried cinnamon tablets in years past and did not have the drop in weight like I had with the Cinnergen. I happened upon the product in the drug store (It was on clearance at $8.47---down from $35!!!) and thought "oh, I might should try this". My doc took a fasting blood sugar level in Jan and told me I was on the way to diabetes and had to watch out as the numbers were too high. I took that warning and ran with it. I have since lost 32 pounds, started taking the Cinnergen cinnamon product. Now the last thing I need to do is get my labs redone!! I am continuing to take it, but no longer am losing weight. I initially started it for my blood sugar control and I hope it is doing its job!!! I think cinnamon is great!!
Old 10-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JanBhere
Stats: 178/153/135
WOE: atkins with Intermittent fasting or feeding.
Start Date: July 1
I seen some at my local dollar store yesterday. There is also something about cinnamon and natural honey going around that is good for many things. Google it.
JanBhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I have tried the supplement Cinnergen and it helped me blow past my goal weight!! I was floored to have lost about 5 pounds in a week when I was struggling to lose those last few pounds. It was amazing!! I had tried cinnamon tablets in years past and did not have the drop in weight like I had with the Cinnergen. I happened upon the product in the drug store (It was on clearance at $8.47---down from $35!!!) and thought "oh, I might should try this". My doc took a fasting blood sugar level in Jan and told me I was on the way to diabetes and had to watch out as the numbers were too high. I took that warning and ran with it. I have since lost 32 pounds, started taking the Cinnergen cinnamon product. Now the last thing I need to do is get my labs redone!! I am continuing to take it, but no longer am losing weight. I initially started it for my blood sugar control and I hope it is doing its job!!! I think cinnamon is great!!

Well, I read some articles on Cinnergen and your testimony and decided to try it. I don't have issues with blood sugar, or didn't when I was last tested, but I have had terrible problems losing weight and getting into ketosis when I was having allergic reactions to things like mold. I've been able to eliminate almost all of the allergens and am ready to try it again.

Thus far, I've only been able to marginally lose weight by reducing calories.

I'm crossing my fingers now!
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
Well, I read some articles on Cinnergen and your testimony and decided to try it. I don't have issues with blood sugar, or didn't when I was last tested, but I have had terrible problems losing weight and getting into ketosis when I was having allergic reactions to things like mold. I've been able to eliminate almost all of the allergens and am ready to try it again.

Thus far, I've only been able to marginally lose weight by reducing calories.

I'm crossing my fingers now!
I hope it works for you. I have convinced others to start on it and have had only 1 person who was effected negatively by it. It would give her the shakes and she felt like she was on speed! So if those happen don't use it!! I never noticed anything like that while taking it, so I suppose it was OK for me to use it as I know I have blood sugar issues.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I hope it works for you. I have convinced others to start on it and have had only 1 person who was effected negatively by it. It would give her the shakes and she felt like she was on speed! So if those happen don't use it!! I never noticed anything like that while taking it, so I suppose it was OK for me to use it as I know I have blood sugar issues.
Thanks, Dawn! I didn't notice that it had any stimulants except green tea extract. Are there any other stimulants in there? I tend to be high strung and don't need any more 'excitement' in my diet!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, here goes! My Cinnergen came with my Netrition order. I'll see how it goes.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
it may be a ymmv thing. BS101 says it causes her BG to rise. then there's the typed of cinnamon used discussion.
i buy the bulk stuff at the HFS and have no problem at all.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, it's been over three months since I started taking it and I've lost two pant sizes, which is HUGE for me since I was putting on fat on my hips and stomach while I was losing elsewhere and watching my carbs and calories.

I didn't get any shakes, or anything, taking it. I take not quite a capful when I do take it. Before I started working out again, I noticed that my weight loss in other areas stared to accelerate, and I noticed I was getting more hungry. But it was manageable.

I've lost 4 inches around my hips. What's really awesome is that I can feel a change from day to day in how my clothes fit, especially on the days that I work out, whereas before, I didn't see anything.

Right now, all I do is go for an hour on my recumbent bike, and I'm looking forward do doing some weight training to tone more, when more fat has come off.

I actually see a light at the end of this tunnell! FINALLY!!!

Last edited by terez; 02-04-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #18

terez

I am so happy it has worked for you!! I told my doctor about the Cinnergen and she has told me to continue taking it. It has done good for my blood sugar levels. Glad to hear positive feedback about it!! I didn't know that Netrition carries it. I will have to check that out!! Fabulous!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubyred025
Stats: 257/240/135
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Oh Gosh lost count
I was wondering if anyone was still taking the Cinnergen and how it was working for them.
Rubyred025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I am. I'm still seeing results. I'm thrilled! Lost another inch. My circumstances are a little different than some other low carbers. Because of meds I was on, and because I took steroids for my lungs a couple of years ago, all my fat gain has been on my hips and stomach. Even when I watched my carbs and calories, and saw weight loss on places like my lower legs and lower arms, I still gained on my hips and waist.

If I didn't walk around looking like a 'pillow', my pants would be about three sizes smaller right now. As it is now, the fat is getting softer and fluffier and in places, spongy. Which means, in about a month, I'll be a couple of sizes smaller.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grdngmom3
Stats: 265/234/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2010
Hi there!

I got some Cinnergen from Netrition a couple of weeks ago and have been taking a capful right after breakfast each morning. I cant really tell if its doing anything or not but I have been feeling really good and I lost almost 3 pounds this week!

I take several supplements so its hard to narrow it down to which ones are helping.....
grdngmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdngmom3 View Post
Hi there!

I got some Cinnergen from Netrition a couple of weeks ago and have been taking a capful right after breakfast each morning. I cant really tell if its doing anything or not but I have been feeling really good and I lost almost 3 pounds this week!

I take several supplements so its hard to narrow it down to which ones are helping.....
Hi! And Welcome!! That's how I feel, I have more energy and I'm exercising a LOT more AND I'm losing weight. but I can't pin it down to just one thing.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rightnow
Stats: 482/368/350
WOE: PāNu
I take a ton of different stuff at the moment including cinnamon, capsaicin, turmeric, and other things like that. I've taken cinnamon along with not many other things including multi-V's. Honestly I cannot see any specific change but think about it, how massive a change would have to happen for this to become apparent anyway? Most of the improvement inside the body happens at pretty micro levels, and becomes apparent mostly down the road in combined effects.
rightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow View Post
I take a ton of different stuff at the moment including cinnamon, capsaicin, turmeric, and other things like that. I've taken cinnamon along with not many other things including multi-V's. Honestly I cannot see any specific change but think about it, how massive a change would have to happen for this to become apparent anyway? Most of the improvement inside the body happens at pretty micro levels, and becomes apparent mostly down the road in combined effects.
I think you have a point there. I did notice some change with the Cinnergen with my energy levels, but I don't depend on it to change everything.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PatHIverson
Interesting. I like this. I am going to look into this.

Cheers

Quote:

PatHIverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHIverson View Post
Interesting. I like this. I am going to look into this.

Cheers

Will you keep us posted? Positive or otherwise? I'm down another couple inches in my hips and another size. BUT!!! I'm also doing very LC during the week, my 'splurges' include a small apple, orange, and half banana during the weekend. Otherwise it's under 20 carbohydrates during the week and 7+ hours of exercise during the week. I'm doing the modified "Egg Fast" that's on the Main Lobby.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mena
I've never tried Cinnamon per say but I use ground cinnamon on my Cheerios when I do eat them.
I take Vitamin C daily
Mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
If you're eating cinnamon, it has to be Ceylon cinnamon to lower blood sugar, not the common cinnamon sold in the US, which is actually cassia, grown in Vietnam and China most commonly. Ceylon cinnamon is hard to find in the US, though it is the type that is used most of the time in Mexico. They sell it at Penzey's Spices. It is much less sharp and hot than cassia.
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
I have been reading and saw that if you don't have insulin problems, than the cinnamon can actually mess up your levels and make you gain weight. Anyone know anything about this?
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote