Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kycowgirl
WOE: Low Carb & cla/gla
~*~ Summer 2009 CLA/GLA...& Whatever is Working For You !!~*~

This thread is for anyone wanting to know about the CLA/GLA combo "and" whatever plan is working for you !!!

Come join us and share your plan

"Welcome"

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable healthcare provider.

What is CLA/GLA?
Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) to promote lean muscle while burning fat.
Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA) for its many beneficial effects in fighting muscle inflammation and supporting the immune system. From a fat loss perspective, GLA is vital in supporting the production of two strong fat burning hormones...growth hormone and the bodys primary calorie burning hormone, thyroid hormone.

GLA should be taken with food

Most effective daily dose...
CLA 3400 mg (1/2 Tbsp liquid once a day, or 5 Tonalin or Spring Valley capsules)
GLA 500-1000 mg (2-4 Borage Oil caps a day)

How does CLA work?
A: CLA prevents fat from being deposited into the cells by speeding up the body's fat metabolism. CLA also helps the body metabolize existing fat deposits. This fat then returns to the blood stream where it is used as energy by muscle cells and the liver. CLA activates genes that trigger fat cell death, shrinks fat cells, speeds up metabolism.

CLA Turns on Fat Breakdown Genes
CLA Boosts Endurance

How does GLA work?
A: Numerous research studies have examined the role of GLA for improving health, specifically in the area of weight loss. GLA from borage oil causes less body fat to accumulate. Borage oil owes its healing power to the presence of essential fatty acids, the most important of which is GLA, an omega-6 fatty acid. (While borage oil is often used interchangeably with evening primrose oil, ounce for ounce, borage oil boasts more than twice as much GLA.)

Guidelines for Use
Taking borage oil with food may boost GLA absorption and minimize unpleasant side effects.
If you take an anticoagulant (blood-thinning) medication, check with your doctor before trying borage oil. The are no other known drug or nutrient interactions associated with borage oil.

Possible Side Effects ...
Borage oil may cause loose stools and minor stomach problems.
Other benefits of Borage Oil...
Reduce the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis
Clear up acne and rosacea
Alleviate inflammation associated with lupus
Prevent nerve damage (neuropathy) due to diabetes
Combat damage from multiple sclerosis
Ease cough and soothe throat disorders
Treat Alzheimer's-related memory deficiencies
Reduce stress and high blood pressure
Nourish nails, scalp, and hair
Counter impotence and female infertility

CLA Q&A
Is CLA Safe to Take With My Thyroid Medications?
There's no evidence that CLA, a food supplement, interacts with thyroid medications, or poses any special dangers to thyroid patients. But you should always discuss any supplements you intend to take with your own physician or practitioner before starting.

Is CLA Only for People with Thyroid Problems?
Absolutely not. The studies have shown that it's effective in general for reducing/converting fat. You don't have to have a thyroid problem -- you just have to be overweight - to benefit from CLA.

How Much Should I Take?
The study found that 3.4 grams of CLA was needed in order to get the benefits. That's 3,400 mg. Since the various formulas contain a percentage of other oils as ingredients, it's wise to probably calculate how much each pill is delivering to make sure you're getting the full 3.4 grams a day. For example, if your capsule contains 75% CLA, and it's 1000 mg, then you're getting 750 mg of CLA, and would need 5 per day to get to the 3.4 grams level.

How Should I Take It?
The various recommendations differ here. Some recommendations suggest to take it before eating. Others suggest to take it with meals. Take it preferably with lowfat or nonfat milk for maximum protein absorption. Personally, I'm taking it right before I eat with some milk.

Does CLA Have Any Side Effects?
Some people report feeling slightly green or nauseous after taking their CLA, or isolated cases of gastrointestinal upset or loose stools. These side effects typically are reduced when the product is taken with protein (i.e.,with milk), and usually decrease after about 2 weeks taking the supplement.

Usually, in the first three weeks, the abdominal fat "pooch" starts shrinking. Other "fattier" areas (such as cheeks, upper arms, rear end) seemed to be slowly reducing as well. You may notice that your appetite is somewhat reduced. You may feel a bit green after taking the CLA the first couple days, but if you take it with milk, or protein it shouldeliminate that problem.

Some may prefer the liquid CLA from Netrition. One bottle which is $19.99 lasts a full month. You just take 1/2 Tbsp a day to get your full dose. You may also prefer to get your Borage Oil from Netrition. It has a higher GLA content, so less pills to take, and more pills per bottle than other brands. So by getting your combo from Netrition, its alot cheaper than taking all the caps from other stores.

On the first of each month you can post progress pics with your cla/gla results. You will not be pressured to post them if your not comfortable doing so. Some of us feel we stay more accountable if we do, and it helps that others can see good changes in the update pics that we cannot see ourselves. If you choose not to post them, thats ok, but please take them anyway for yourself to compare updates with. Thats where you will see the changes.

If you're taking CLA, don't take your Omega-3s at the same time. They will compete against each other for absorption. Leave at least a 3 hour window when taking both.

If you take an anti-coagulant (blood-thinning) medication, check with your doctor before trying borage oil

Tonalin CLA-1200 (Natrol) $14.49
Serving Size: 5 softgels a day
90 softgels
Natrol CLA

Natrol CLA Plus with Clarinol $19.99
Serving Size: 1/2 Tablespoon a day
Servings per Container: 30
Conjugated linoleic acid: 3400 mg
Clarinol CLA Plus

ThinFat (VPX) $17.95
Serving Size: 1/2 tablespoon a day
Servings Per Container: 32
VPX*ThinFat

NOW Borage Oil $14.99
Serving Size: 2-4 per day
Capsules Per Container: 120
NOW Borage Oil

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

greenejoy, you have made awesome progress !!! Thanks for sharing with us . Listen to chic, it definately works better the first time around for whatever reason

Hiiiiiiii metqa , I hate looking at my old photos when I was super thin. Its depressing to see how I have let myself go

bsbarlow, I'm guilty of saying pop at times too (originally from ohio also) , but i usually say soft drink lol

Aunt Sheshie, "a cold drank"... as in, "I'm fixin' to have a cold drank, want one?" lol love it !!

Veronica, it's very runny now, so listen to Fonda and shake the dickens out of it !! I store mine in the fridge upside down so it mixes easier when I shake it

chic, where are you?

Kim, Phil, Michelle ADLMA...where is everyone

Last edited by kycowgirl; 06-26-2009 at 08:46 PM..
kycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
They all melted to their keyboards and can't type. Oh wait that was ME!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning metqa
Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/292.8/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
posting to mark spot
got2getmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #6

Good Morning Trish and All'ya!

I didn't take the combo this morning, I was having a fit! I've gained 3lb over night and have been gaining and I was throwing a tantrum from 2am last night till this morning.

It's the mold in my apartment, I'm sure, but I didn't realize it could cause body inflammation and that's why it's making me gain. I just thought I was having histamine reaction, so I've been taking Zyrtec knockoff. So I'll be adding Holy Basil and some other anti-inflammatory herbs to my list of pills to take.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 06-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

metqa, thats not good at all, can't they do something about that mold?? Call the health dept. !!!

Last edited by kycowgirl; 06-27-2009 at 04:00 PM..
Old 06-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bsbarlow
Stats: 230/222/138
WOE: LC
Start Date: 6/5/09
Hello All,

I am still taking the combo and I am losing inches. I think when I reorder I will try the Clarinol CLA instead of the Thinfat.
bsbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

bsbarlow, I think you will like it better than the thinfat.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycowgirl View Post
metqa, thats not good at all, can't they do something about that mold?? Call the health dept. !!!
Last time I told them all they did was bleach the wall and paint over the mold. the next year when I did it myself, I used a homemade combo that worked so well , the mold didn't come back. After a year and a half, I guess it took that long to wear off, I'd forgotten to do a preventive spraying again. If I had been diligent, I would not have forgotten and would have sprayed again before the mold came back.

as it is if I call the health department, they'd likely condemn the place cause I know all my neighbors have mold whether they know it or not! The apartment manager treats them as isolated incidents instead of treating the entire building. I'd likely have to move out and I can't afford to move.

When I finish cleaning it up myself, I'm gonna take pictures to the Property manager and let her know there was a problem. I don't want them coming into my apartment. They are incompetent about mold treatment and they'd just want to bleach everything again, I couldn't use my room for a week it was so strong smelling with bleach! and Bleach is not even EPA approved for Mold treatment! It doesn't work. It just kills the blooms but doesn't penetrate to the growing threads that propogate beneath the surface.

I blame myself for not keeping on top of it, but I will let them know. I might try to get all my neighbors to speak up about it so it won't just be me complaining and they can't blame me for molding the whole bottom floor of the building.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

You should get a discount on your rent for taking care of "their" problem
Old 06-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

I got a great compliment today. My sister who has lost about 45 lbs by strict dieting and tons and tons of exercise asked me today what I have changed because suddenly the weight is coming off (I think she thinks that I am taking diet pills, we both tried them awhile back). She knows that I had been doing WW and not losing, walking and doing JM 30 shred and still only seeing minimal results. I told her that I was LC'ing but I did not tell her about the combo yet because I was not up for the battle today (my sister would argue until she was blue that it is a quick fix, a fad, unhealthy, etc, etc, etc...I know that it is not and I have the information to share with her I just did not want to get into it today). Anyway the bottom line is that people are starting to notice.

It's a new season, it's a new day, fresh anointing, flowing my way....

238/234/231/230/227/225/223/222/219...goal 138
5 hours of Callanetics
Old 06-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Billie, thats wonderful news . It sure does feel good when someone actually notices. KUTGW !!!

I was lucky and only gained 1 pound on our trip. I need to get back on plan and start taking my combo again

Last edited by kycowgirl; 06-28-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Old 06-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #14

That's Great Billie!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

What is going on with Hollywood?????

Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson and Billy Mays. I know that Ed and Farrah were older but Michael and Billy were only 50, I am 48 should I be afraid.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

It does make you wonder what the heck is going on , and who will be next

and dont forget David carradine

Last edited by kycowgirl; 06-28-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Old 06-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Trish-------- did you cut your hair !?

And this guy died also.... not really a star but....

'Infomercial King' Billy Mays Found Dead in Home - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment - FOXNews.com

Last edited by kimlou; 06-28-2009 at 06:48 PM..
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

I bet that had something to do with him hitting his head when the plane he was on blew a tire landing.

No I didn't cut my hair . Our lil cabin didn't have any plugs in the bathroom , so it was difficult to use my hair arsonal (dryer, flat iron, curling iron) so I just pulled it back in a pony tail. I do that alot in the summer. Its cooler anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wy09.jpg (6.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0051.jpg (8.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by kycowgirl; 06-28-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

wow, those are small !! I'l have to find some better ones to share
Old 06-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbarlow View Post
[...] but Michael and Billy were only 50, I am 48 should I be afraid.
Only if you are a celebrity. Heck most rock stars are lucky if they make it past 27!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbF69
Stats: 220/128/120
WOE: Low glycemic/low carb +fasted/HIIT cardio/weights
Start Date: 1/19/2009
I'm down to 195......love love love love love my combo!!!!!
LowCarbF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: purpledusty
Stats: 235/225/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2009
Happy Birthday Trish.
purpledusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

LowCarbF69, WooHoo thats Awesome !!! Did you take any before and after pics?

purpledusty, awww thanks . How on earth did you remember that??? What have you been up to?? I've been working on getting our laptop back up. I logged off to go to town and it wouldnt load back up when we got back so we had to do a complete restore. We lost all of our vacation pictures and everything I had on it .
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbF69
Stats: 220/128/120
WOE: Low glycemic/low carb +fasted/HIIT cardio/weights
Start Date: 1/19/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycowgirl View Post
LowCarbF69, WooHoo thats Awesome !!! Did you take any before and after pics?

purpledusty, awww thanks . How on earth did you remember that??? What have you been up to?? I've been working on getting our laptop back up. I logged off to go to town and it wouldnt load back up when we got back so we had to do a complete restore. We lost all of our vacation pictures and everything I had on it .

Yup sure do.......

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ce...l#post12164344

LowCarbF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

wow, i checked the other thread and you look Great !!! Keep taking it while its working lol Congrats !!!!

<-----------oh I finally hit 5000 posts
Old 06-30-2009, 06:09 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

LowcarbF69 - You look amazing You have done awesone! Keep up the good work How long has it taken you and what was your approximate starting weight.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:11 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Trisha - Congrats on the 5000 and belated happy birthday
Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #28

5000 posts! Wow, Your a talker!

Did I miss something!!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greenejoy
Stats: 150
WOE: carb cycling
Start Date: Sept 08
coconut oil

lowcarbf69::::

have you been taking the coconut oil the whole time with the combo? How much do you take a day?
greenejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: suckitin
Hello!

Is coconut oil really good for fat loss? I've tried it but I do not like the taste...

Hope you all had a good day.
suckitin is offline   Reply With Quote