Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #571
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: l_s_bear
Stats: 225/178/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: November 2008
Hi all,

I have always had high clolesterol (two years ago it was 253) but I thought with lc it would go down. When I got my results in the mail I thought forsure I would celebrate as I have lost almost 50 lbs during this last year and I have been exercising since the end of March. Well, it is 294 Uggghhhh!!! I just could not believe it!! Have any of you had this issue?

I believe I need to educate myself on fruits or veggies that have good cholestrol so I can turn this around yet at the same time do my best to keep my carbs down.

Loo
l_s_bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #572
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
i've always been told the ratio matters more than just one number. and that dietary restriction of dietary cholesterol affects it little. But dietary restriction of other factors might affect it like carbs to tryglicerides and dietary lecitihin such as found in egg yolks, the yellow part that also has cholesterol.

Last edited by metqa; 10-03-2009 at 07:59 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
yes it will be fun if that person took bill. How did you like the story about sookie and eric? I mean I cant wait.They chose a great eric dont you think?
lizzybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KJ-43
Stats: HW 279 197/190.5/180
Start Date: 10/30/06 ,restart 1/2/14
I can't even remember why I stop taking it. I take 5 Tonalin cla a day they say they are 1000 but are 720-850mg and I take 4 borage oil. I believe this has made my Tom start early. I can't remember from last time if this happen to me or not. I will have to go back through the thread and read comments and get up to date. I did find out I should take my Cla between breakfast and Lunch b/c I took them all at breakfast and my tummy did not like that. I am glad to be back and look forward to losing inches.
kj

1/2/14- 197
1/9/141 190.5
KJ-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #575
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Metqa.

I appreciate your insight. I will try to take out some foods that are high in cholesterol out of my diet and see what that does. The doctor wants me to come in for another appointment but they will need to wait til January. My insurance just change on Oct. 1 and now I have a deductable. I will try to figure some things out myself prior to going in.

If anyone else has insight feel free to share.
Thanks
Loo
Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #576
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kycowgirl
WOE: Low Carb & cla/gla
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybme View Post
yes it will be fun if that person took bill. How did you like the story about sookie and eric? I mean I cant wait.They chose a great eric dont you think?
Yes they did pick the perfect Eric, and I hope they do follow the book on that part with sookie . I like Bill in the show, but not in the books. They don't seem to have the same chemistry in the books.
kycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_s_bear View Post
Thanks Metqa.

I appreciate your insight. I will try to take out some foods that are high in cholesterol out of my diet and see what that does. The doctor wants me to come in for another appointment but they will need to wait til January. My insurance just change on Oct. 1 and now I have a deductable. I will try to figure some things out myself prior to going in.

If anyone else has insight feel free to share.
Thanks
Loo
Sorry to be confusing, I meant that dietary cholesterol consumption did NOT affect blood cholesterol levels. and that egg yolk, which has been negatively labeled as bad because of it's cholesterol, has lecithin, which is an emulsifier of cholesterol, so it's not bad for you like people claim.

I've read where people, I think nurses, participated in a study where some ate a LOT of eggs and others didn't, and it showed no difference in their cholesterol levels and healthiness. In fact, it was more important to be aware of which type of cholesterol was more prevalent, and to avoid other blood fats like tryglicerides that are directly harmful.

If you don't eat cholestrol in your diet, your body will make it on it's own, and if you eat cholesterol in your diet, you body will make less of it's own. Cholesterol is an essential lipid for building cell walls and controlling hormones, such that menapausal women with low cholesterol have more symptoms and health issues than those with normal to high cholesterol.

I only mention all this because it seems people go on low fat diets that end up not changing their profile but affects their skin, hair and digestion and hormones and other things immediately and not for the better. Oh gosh, sorry for the TJ. I read up on alot of this working at the health food store for 5 years and being peoples point man for questions.

Why don't you find out what kinds of fats where measured. I found that the time I got a blood sample, It said my "cholesterol" was toward the normal to high range, but because my tryglicerides were very low, and the ratio of HDL to LDL was good,and my blood glucose was fine, it wasn't a problem, and I was healthier than if I just looked at the total.

Doctors love educated people ( NOT ) but if you read up about cholesterol, and ( I hate to say the phrase) "The truth about cholesterol" and the Cholesterol myth, and the studies that our standards are based on, as well as a copy of good fats bad fats, you will be amazed at the misinformation and the "everybody knows" logic that has been confusing people and you'll have lots of questions for your new doc ( or the old if he's the same) about your health.

I"m a trouble maker, as you can see!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #578
Blabbermouth!!!

you are not a trouble maker silly girl ....your our "go-to" girl when we dont know the answers !!! , and I for 1 appreciate the info !!!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #579
Junior LCF Member

WOW!! Great information. Thank you Metqa!! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge

I must admit I felt horrible when I read my results and now I am feeling better. I will read up on cholestrol and become better educated

Thanks again,
Loo
Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #580

Thanks Trish, My pleasure Loo! You folks make being a geek enjoyable!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #581
Blabbermouth!!!

FYI

In case y'all didn't see this.....

Attention all LowCarbFriends members!

The entire LowCarbFriends web site will be shut down on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 for software upgrades. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Last edited by kycowgirl; 10-05-2009 at 09:48 AM..
Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #582
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_s_bear View Post
Hi all,

I have always had high clolesterol (two years ago it was 253) but I thought with lc it would go down. When I got my results in the mail I thought forsure I would celebrate as I have lost almost 50 lbs during this last year and I have been exercising since the end of March. Well, it is 294 Uggghhhh!!! I just could not believe it!! Have any of you had this issue?

I believe I need to educate myself on fruits or veggies that have good cholestrol so I can turn this around yet at the same time do my best to keep my carbs down.

Loo

Yep !!!! I am so tired of seeing their number on my caller Id the day after my bloodwork.

Used to be my potassium was the only thing they called me about.... Now... that is the only thing the DON'T call about
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #583
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycowgirl View Post
In case y'all didn't see this.....

Attention all LowCarbFriends members!

The entire LowCarbFriends web site will be shut down on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 for software upgrades. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

... Metq, Trish, Chic , thought I would find you in here Phil.

Everyone !!!!!

With LCF down and Farmville(slowwwwwww) what am I going to do Wednesday.

Went to Ds to wallpaper this morning......

Our converstaion Sunday " Brandon are you sure there is enough wallpaper left to to cover the adjoining room "
Yes, Mom

Fast forward this morning........ I drive 70 miles to his house. The dog is hyper and just runs at you like 100 miles an hour. I stand there waiting to get plowed down... she shifts and goes the other way

So ..... I get everything ready to paper... there was enough for 2 strips..

He got it at Lowes... they no longer carry it in stock (go figure) ..the wallpaper store went out of business. So I drive another 70 miles back home then another 45 miles and found the exact paper he had (that was luck) and drove back home another 45 miles.

So I guess I will paper Friday.

my son. He needs to marry !!! So I can have a break
Oh, that may interfere with his golf game.... I forgot.

He and his GF have their own houses and the most two stubborn young people I have met !! Guess they are friends "with benefits"

Last edited by kimlou; 10-05-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #584
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
HELLO!!! new to this thread - I just bought some CLA yesterday and am very excited to start them...I do apologize for NOT going back through all 20 pages of this thread to find some answers - but I do see that this is a CLA/GLA combo thread...

I've only decided to use the CLA for now - is there anyone here who ONLY uses the CLA?
Does it really work? I know, from what I've read, it works, but it does take a while (like a few months) and you MUST be consistent. It's not that I'm looking for a miracle, by any means, but just to get this one skirt I have to zip up all the way and lose literally 1/2 an inch around my belly would be FABULOUS!

I work out about twice a week (yes, I know I need to do more, but I took the summer off due to surgery and only just got back into it last month)...

I've lost 30 pounds on LowCarb and been stuck at that for two months (basically just maintaining! which I AM happy with, except it would be nice to get it moving again...)

Anywhoo - just curious about anyone who only takes CLA. Thanks!

People. Eating. Tasty. Animals

FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT! DO NOT FEAR THE FAT!

Married ~26.JUNE.2010~
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #585
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Justachic
Stats: no scales-5'6
WOE: customized
Start Date: Restarted Jan 9, 2008
I guess the site is gonna be on lock down tomorrow so tonight I thought I'd give a special hello to all especially Kimlou! She came looking for me on another site and well, that just made me feel special.

I think i burned myself out on the fitness part of my life. I have taken some time off from the gym but I've cycled back on the combo mainly because it does wonders for my skin. Not taking as much of the CO becuz it was getting a little pricey but I do like it. I do realize how much better I feel emotionally when I get my workouts in. Like therapy without the meds!

Have been very busy lately, hence the reason I haven't been on much. School has changed since I was attending many years ago. They assign homework to Preschoolers as well as Kindergärtners, I can only imagine what it's going to be like when they hit junior high!!!

Last edited by Justachic; 10-06-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Justachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #586
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wasn't calling you, just wanted to say Hi and we miss ya ....
Old 10-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #587
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Trish.... click your avi picture
Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #588
Blabbermouth!!!

lol hey thanks, thats pretty cool !!!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #589
Blabbermouth!!!

Ohhhh they have pink cows in Farmville now . You have to adopt them though , can'y buy them
Old 10-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbF69
Stats: 220/128/120
WOE: Low glycemic/low carb +fasted/HIIT cardio/weights
Start Date: 1/19/2009
I did SUCH a stupid thing....I knocked over my bottle of Thinfat in my cabinet unknowingly and found it all spilled!!!
LowCarbF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #591
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycowgirl View Post
Ohhhh they have pink cows in Farmville now . You have to adopt them though , can'y buy them
But...... she does have one !!!

Where are you guys hidinggggggg ????????

Cold here.... I do not like cold weather.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #592
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Justachic
Stats: no scales-5'6
WOE: customized
Start Date: Restarted Jan 9, 2008
Not "hiding" anymore cuz I have some FREE time, YAY!!!

Okay, I'm getting into the "spirit" of the season. My boys are making Halloween crafts and I'm thinking about making them some spider cupcakes or bat cookies or something. Trisha....Do you have any new ghost stories??? I hear the movie Paranormal Activity is preeeetty scary.
Justachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #593
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the pink cow Kim lol. I am freeeeeeeezing. We are going to go hot tub to warm up

chic, no new stories yet, but I am sure there will be more lol. I want to see pics of any cupcakes you make this year !!! I wanna see Paranormal activity !!

I wonder when netrition will get the liquid cla in. We want to start back on plan when we get back from tennessee. We are leaving Monday the 12th and will be back late on the 18th. It better not rain the whole trip again

Last edited by kycowgirl; 10-10-2009 at 06:35 PM..
Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #594
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

trish- remember my XMIL that has the brain tumor? She passsed away today.... I went to see her last week,now I am glad I did.
funeral this week.........

Enjoy... you vacation. When you get back we'll get together and d o Tumbleweed.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #595
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iabowhunter
Stats: 346/342/240
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-30-03
HELLO?

Just didn't want this thread to go 1 week with out a post.

WHERE YOU ALL AT?
iabowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #596
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbF69
Stats: 220/128/120
WOE: Low glycemic/low carb +fasted/HIIT cardio/weights
Start Date: 1/19/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabowhunter View Post
HELLO?

Just didn't want this thread to go 1 week with out a post.

WHERE YOU ALL AT?

I'm here! Still going strong, haven't lost any pounds in a bit but the inches are dropping, dropping!
LowCarbF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #597
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlou View Post
trish- remember my XMIL that has the brain tumor? She passsed away today.... I went to see her last week,now I am glad I did.
funeral this week.........

Enjoy... you vacation. When you get back we'll get together and d o Tumbleweed.
awww Kim, I am so sorry to hear that . Yes lets plan a tumbleweed lunch soon

We are back from tennessee Phil. Good to see you here. Don't be such a stranger Bucko !!!

Hi LCF69, How many inches have you lost? I am hoping they get the new liquid cla in soon so I can start back on it myself
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #598
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mikkimouse
Stats: 247/148/150 ~6'0~
WOE: ~ Low Carb ~
Start Date: August 26, 2007
Afternoon ya'all,

How is everybody been doing? sheesh i have been so busy i havnt even been Lurkin' Dealing with kids, (teens) and homecoming, and school work, and they just got over their colds. Sure glad it wasnt the swine flu! I heard that is pretty nasty stuff.

Well i have gained back 7 lbs... cuz i see a cookie or a doughnut, or gummie bears, or whoppers, or ice cream, and have just a lil bite and im thinkin uhhhh that wont hurt. LMAO come to find out it does hurt! so im back on the very LC this week. keepin my carbs at 10 a day. lets see how lont it takes to drop those few lbs. Other than that life is good, just been a workin lil bee, waiting for halloween only because that is the first day of my hunting season. I hope i get da 30 pointer. .

well i hope to check back later today..... Have a great day!

to all!

Start date of CLA/GLA.....08-26-2007
Goal Met 10-25-08

Mikki
mikkimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #599
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mikkimouse
Stats: 247/148/150 ~6'0~
WOE: ~ Low Carb ~
Start Date: August 26, 2007
Kim so sorry to hear
mikkimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #600
Blabbermouth!!!

mikki !!! , its great to see you . Life sure does have a way of getting into our internet time doesnt it? . Check in when you can, always good to hear from you !!! No swine flu in our family yet TG

I sent a message to netrition asking about the new liquid cla. Here is the reply

Hi Patricia,

PVL ran into a little delay getting the shipment into the US. This has
now been resolved and the shipment is on it's way to us. We expect to
have it available for purchase on our site this week.

Thank you for your interest.

Best Regards,

--
Sandra Roddy
Operations Manager
Netrition - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!
[COLOR=#0068cf]http://www.netrition.com[/COLOR]

woohoo, I am so ready to order some and get back to losing