Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   How do you eat your coconut oil (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/590654-how-do-you-eat-your-coconut-oil.html)

Jessie11 12-08-2008 02:15 AM

How do you eat your coconut oil

hi there,

I have been reading up on coconut oil and I wonder how do you take this stuff.
and how much do you take on a daily basis? and what are the health benefits.

Cheers Jessie..

FloridaShell 12-08-2008 03:10 AM

Straight off the spoon or in my coffee.

Stellar 12-08-2008 03:21 AM

In my coffee. Three tablespoons a day. Also cook with it sometimes.

BonBon19 12-08-2008 05:08 AM

Straight off the spoon usually. Sometimes have it mixed with a scoop of protein powder as a meal replacement. Anywhere from two to four+ tablespoons per day. Can't say it is causing any weight loss, but no gain and no sinus infections/ear infections/sickness since I began using it this past May. Unheard of for me. I have also started applying it daily with Q-tips to ears and sinuses. Kind of experimenting with this.

Tiffany2288 12-08-2008 05:12 AM

Some put it in coffee or tea but the coffee/tea needs to be super hot or it might float. Others put it in egg creams/protein shakes too.

Disco Superfly 12-08-2008 05:19 AM

and the proven health benefits are?

Sammy

dawnyama 12-08-2008 06:59 AM

I take my 4 TBL per day right off the spoon--melted of course. I find that when I get 4 TBL I don't get all the virsues and bugs that my kids bring home from school. My DD has just been diagnosed with mono--I certainly don't want that LOL. Also my DH has been treated for bronchitis, 3 times in as many months. I have not had one bit of even a cold so far this season. I like to think it is the coconut oil which is saving my hide.........that along with extra vitamin C.

lori121 12-08-2008 07:18 AM

Straight off the spoon. With water.

crakd 12-08-2008 07:28 AM

coffee!!

wicked 12-08-2008 09:05 AM

Try some Tropical traditions coconut cream concentrate in your coffee. 70% coconut oil and no oil slick plus acts like a creamer. I have two squares of 85% lindt chocolate,
some cream and large helping of coconut crean concetrate plus a little splenda or stevia in a large cup.

I also cook 3 scrambled eggs with some spices in approx. 2 tablespoon of TT"s gold label VCO and in all absorbs into the egg.

Wicked"s other half, the true lo-carber of the family.

jem51 12-08-2008 09:31 AM

melted and added to my smoothies. in cooking. off the spoon.....

jakesmomma 12-08-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonBon19 (Post 11234760)
Straight off the spoon usually. Sometimes have it mixed with a scoop of protein powder as a meal replacement. Anywhere from two to four+ tablespoons per day. Can't say it is causing any weight loss, but no gain and no sinus infections/ear infections/sickness since I began using it this past May. Unheard of for me.[COLOR="Magenta"] I have also started applying it daily with Q-tips to ears and sinuses. Kind of experimenting with this.

[/COLOR]
I you actually placing it inside the ear? I would think this would cause wax impaction issues. Have you noticed any differences? Is this something you just tried on a whim or did you read/discuss this with a doc or someone? I am just curious, I have never heard of anything like this before.

As to the OP I am like many of the others I just eat it straight off the spoon. (sorry for the lil threadjack)

SugarPop 12-08-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonBon19 (Post 11234760)
Straight off the spoon usually. Sometimes have it mixed with a scoop of protein powder as a meal replacement. Anywhere from two to four+ tablespoons per day. Can't say it is causing any weight loss, but no gain and no sinus infections/ear infections/sickness since I began using it this past May. Unheard of for me. I have also started applying it daily with Q-tips to ears and sinuses. Kind of experimenting with this.

BonBon- what your ratio of coconut oil to protein powder - that sounds kinda yummy. How many calories - do you know?

B

BonBon19 12-08-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakesmomma (Post 11236138)
[/COLOR]
I you actually placing it inside the ear? I would think this would cause wax impaction issues. Have you noticed any differences? Is this something you just tried on a whim or did you read/discuss this with a doc or someone? I am just curious, I have never heard of anything like this before.

As to the OP I am like many of the others I just eat it straight off the spoon. (sorry for the lil threadjack)

I am just winging it! Def not advising anyone else to follow! I just put a little on the end of a q-tip, then put inside ear. It just kind of melts in there. Switch ends, do other ear. New Q-tip, same procedure for each nostril. I have only been doing it for about two weeks now. I am just so afraid of getting an ear/sinus infection and having to go back on antibiotics. I had been on antibiotics WAY too much prior to starting the CO. I have heard about people putting warm oil in the ear, etc., so I just kind of thought I would try this. I was thinking at some point I may need to quit ingesting CO, and was trying this out as an alternative. If you know of any disadvantages to this, please feel free to share! Thanks! :D

BonBon19 12-08-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarPop (Post 11236198)
BonBon- what your ratio of coconut oil to protein powder - that sounds kinda yummy. How many calories - do you know?

B

Roughly two tablespoons CO (250 cal.) mixed with one scoop PP (120 cal.), so 370 calories for a meal. Best thing was it soothed my sweet tooth, made me feel light, and was also filling for such a small amount. I would eat it at work, just little tiny bites, and savor each bite. Sounds wierd but I did that for a couple of months. Very convenient meal at work. However, I cannot seem to lose weight no matter what I do. Gave up PP for a while to see if that had anything to do with it. Does not look to be the problem. :dunno:

Bookjones 12-08-2008 11:31 AM

3 heaping tbsp CO
sweetener of choice
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 raw egg
1 cup boiling water

blend

Best hot cocoa EVER!

BonBon19 12-08-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookjones (Post 11236501)
3 heaping tbsp CO
sweetener of choice
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 raw egg
1 cup boiling water

blend

Best hot cocoa EVER!

Sounds yummy! Any tricks to share to keep the egg from cooking?

fawn 12-08-2008 11:46 AM

For miss Sammy
I think you might be able to benefit from one or two of these claims........I know I do!

Quote:

Coconut Oil Facts

Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses
Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases
Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candida, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections
Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites
Provides a nutritional source of quick energy
Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance
Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, amino acids
Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose
Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body
Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis
Helps relieves symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes
Reduces problems associated with mal-absorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis
Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
Helps protect against osteoporosis
Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease
Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers
Improves digestion and bowel function
Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids
Reduces inflammation
Supports tissue healing and repair
Supports and aids immune system function
Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers

Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease
Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects
against heart disease
Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay
Functions as a protective antioxidant
Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease
Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do
Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation
Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome
Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement)
Reduces epileptic seizures
Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
Dissolves kidney stones
Helps prevent liver disease
Is lower in calories than all other fats
Supports thyroid function
Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate
It Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats
Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems
Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection
Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis
Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin. Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking
Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots
Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion
Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun

maybell 12-08-2008 08:34 PM

I am currently taking 2 to 3 teaspoons a day. Do you all think that is enough?
I was eating 2 to 3 tablespoons a day but reduced it.

Bookjones 12-09-2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonBon19 (Post 11236518)
Sounds yummy! Any tricks to share to keep the egg from cooking?

Run everything in the blender while you add the boiling water.

didi 12-09-2008 08:46 AM

Thanks for the list, Fawn. I am printing it out so I can remember when someone asks me about it.

dawnyama 12-09-2008 11:06 AM

maybell
That depends on why you reduced it? It is commonly recommended to have 3.5 TBL per day, but you have to work up to that slowly.

BonBon19 12-09-2008 11:21 AM

Thanks, Bookjones!

Off My Duff 12-09-2008 07:06 PM

Thank you for posting this great list, Fawn!

DiamondDeb 12-09-2008 07:14 PM

Today I cooked my lean burger & onions in it... :p

Disco Superfly 12-21-2008 06:36 AM

Thank you Fawn for that extensive list, just what I was looking for.

Merry Christmas all
Sammy

Autuamnsprite 12-21-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawn (Post 11236572)
For miss Sammy
I think you might be able to benefit from one or two of these claims........I know I do!

Does it also promote world peace? :hyst:

All kidding aside, are there studies that show these are facts? And what does it taste like? Being as some of you eat it off the spoon???

Goldenrod 12-21-2008 08:05 PM

So glad to see I'm not the only one who eats it right off the spoon sometimes! I usually put it in coffee, but sometimes I eat it "straight," too.

Seems like a lot of people want to find ways to mask the taste. I :love: coconut and think the taste is awesome!

OceanDreaming 12-22-2008 04:06 AM

I have it softened, equal parts CO with almond butter, mix and eat. It's delicious!

My other favorite way, chocolate bark!

And the third, in hot cocoa. Not a fan of it in my coffee but it tastes really good in cocoa.

Linny 12-22-2008 04:40 AM

I have a question about the EVCO - since I have been taking it daily now for over 7 weeks, I have noticed my teeth/gums no longer hurt and I am finding the dental floss is harder to get between my teeth. I swear my teeth have moved closer together and my gums are no longer sore or swollen.

I also take antibiotics daily for lyme disease and I am prone to yeast overgrowth but since I started the EVCO, I had a real bad die off (herx reaction) and have been feeling great since then.

My fingernails have actually become very strong and are growing for the first time in 10 or so years. It has to be the EVCO.

Anyone else have a good claim like this?