Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hope2Be2010
Stats: 256/-62/160
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 01/02/2011
What is the difference between magnesium's?

Can someone please help me out? What is the difference between magnesium malate, magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate? I have been using Magnesium Oxide and I just don't think it is doing it's job I need something at is going to help me out more!
Hope2Be2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: feather319
Stats: started: 180 lowest:127 now:184 goal: 140
WOE: Ketogenic/Anabolic/Paleo
Start Date: April 2002 Reinducted 2009
Magnesium Malate is the most effect magnesium and most abosorbed by the body. Magnesium Oxide has the lowest absorption and utilization rate by the body, and thus in high amounts relieves constipation. Magnesium Malate is best absorbed and utilized by the body. This is because the cells will take in the malic acid to use for energy production in the mitochondria and simultaneously draw magnesium into the mitochondria where it is most needed. Magnesium Citrate also has a high absorption rating.
feather319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KeeblerElf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILookHappy2 View Post
Can someone please help me out? What is the difference between magnesium malate, magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate? I have been using Magnesium Oxide and I just don't think it is doing it's job I need something at is going to help me out more!
Here's a nice breakdown of different types of magnesium. Hope this helps explain it.
KeeblerElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ssMarilyn
Absorption
In her book "The Magnesium Miracle," Dean estimates that the body digests and absorbs about 4% of magnesium oxide, which means the body will only use 12 mg from 300 mg of elemental magnesium oxide. Magnesium citrate boasts a much higher bioavailability rate, perhaps as much as 50% of the elemental magnesium.

Laxative Effect

Since the body absorbs so little of magnesium oxide, the other 96% stays in the intestines and acts as a laxative. On the other hand, cells take up more of the mineral from magnesium citrate, leaving behind less of it in the intestines to stimulate the bowels.

Cost
Supplement developers frequently choose magnesium oxide for multiple formulas because of the low cost of procuring it. Binding magnesium to citric acid drives up the cost of magnesium citrate.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like your mag is going right through your system then and not being used. I take a probiotic every day, which supports the intestinal flora. Problem solved.
ssMarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

From the Livestrong.com site - Magnesium Citrate & Oxide | LIVESTRONG.COM

Benefits of Magnesium

Magnesium plays a major role in many different systems in the body. Charles Poliquin, the Canadian strength coach who has trained a wealth of Olympic athletes, explains how it remains particularly important for achieving deep sleep each night as it relaxes the central nervous system. He also points out that magnesium can reduce risk of coronary heart disease, improve insulin sensitivity and lower stress hormones.

Oxide
You will find magnesium oxide in a number of supplements, especially multivitamins. Oxide represents the cheapest form of the mineral to produce, leading many manufacturers to choose it instead of chelated forms. A 1990 study on magnesium oxide absorption, which was published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," found that the intestines could not absorb oxide forms efficiently. Most of the supplement was eliminated from the body in the stool.

Citrate
Chemists form magnesium citrate by chelating the mineral with citric acid. As with other chelations, the citrate acts as a mineral transporter to actively enhance absorption across the intestinal barrier. The 1990 study also looked at citrate absorption, which they measured at an impressive 65 percent. Accordingly, the citrate form stands out as a much better choice to boost your magnesium status.

Read more: Magnesium Citrate & Oxide | LIVESTRONG.COM
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

You only get the laxative effect of mag citrate if you take too much. You start on a low dosage and gradually increase it until you get a laxative effect. Then you back off abit. When you reach the correct amount for you, you don't have the laxative effect. I know this from personal experience. It's trial and error.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meggabeef
Stats: 425/327/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 21/2010
They say that this is how you determine how much vitamin c to take as well. At doses too high, it produces a laxative effect. You gradually go up to the laxative level, and then gradually taper back to the sub-laxative level.
meggabeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
Start Date: July 17, 2014
the stores only have Mag Oxide

Looks like I'll be ordering off the internet!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #10

Checked online and it's marketed as a laxative

(citrate)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #11

I took Natural Calm (Mag Citrate) yesterday....1/4 of the dose, cause I want to start slow, like they say on the label. Tummy is grumbly just a tinnnny bit. Glad I didn't take the whole 2 teaspoons We'll see what happens today. This is a powder that you put in hot water...the fizzing activates the mag citrate. I think pill form might be easier. It's also a thing they say to not take with food cause it absorbs better. Dangit. I don't like having to space stuff that I'm taking, but oh well The 2 teaspoons would have 87% of the mag needed for a day, so I only got about 20%...hoping I CAN up the dose, cause I need more magnesium than that, as I'm not eating anything with much of it in it...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Magnesium may also be absorbed through the skin. Taking a hot bath in epsom salt
will let you absorb some magnesium. Another way is "magnesium oil" this is a verry concentrated souution of magnesium cloride in water that is aplied to the skin. It's
caled "magnesium oil" because it feals a little oily but there is no oil in it.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #13

Well, I took the normal dose yesterday...2 teaspoons divided into two doses..one t in the am, 1 t in the pm. Didn't notice any calming effect that I've been reading about Restless legs still restless, and I woke up at 3 am Went back to sleep for a bit. Maybe it takes a while to work?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VictoriaBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina View Post
Well, I took the normal dose yesterday...2 teaspoons divided into two doses..one t in the am, 1 t in the pm. Didn't notice any calming effect that I've been reading about Restless legs still restless, and I woke up at 3 am Went back to sleep for a bit. Maybe it takes a while to work?
Potassium is a good thing to add. One of the symptoms of not enough potassium is leg cramps and restlessness. I use it and it works within an hour or two.
VictoriaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loui80s
"magnesium oil"

I've been doing a lot of research into magnesium supplementation and am trying Walgreens Lemon Magnesium Citrate as a topical supplement because I don't want to pay twelve bucks a dose for "magnesium oil". I was concerned that the lemon flavor might make it sticky, but it doesn't at all. It's odorless and you can barely tell it's there once it's dried. I drink more alcohol than I should and have many of the complaints magnesium deficient persons have, so hopefully this works!
loui80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I have RLS and have been helped a lot by taking magnesium supplements. For me the secret seems to be to take a few different forms of mag. After dinner I take 2 caps of Twinlab Tri-Boron Plus (sold by Netrition!), which has 250mg mag as magnesium oxide and magnesium aspartate as well as 500mg calcium and other minerals that all work together; but that wasn't enough to help the legs so I've added 200mg of magnesium glycinate. Magnesium glycinate is very bioavailable and reportedly has the least effect on the bowels. All I know is that it may be more expensive, but I never have to worry about uhm... loose stool issues, which is a problem with any other additional mag pills I've tried. And I can take enough magnesium every night to not have the evil burning must move legs now sensations, so it is totally worth it. All that being said, relief didn't happen overnight but I figured the magnesium was good for me and kept taking it, then realized I hadn't had an RLS episode in a while.

Even if this doesn't help, I hope that you find something that works.

Last edited by solarpluvia; 01-19-2012 at 04:37 AM..
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote