Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aryn12205
WOE: IF/Paleo/Whole Food-Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: January '14
Apple Cider Vinegar weight loss wonder

My MIL, who has always been around 200+ lbs for the past 4 years, has recently lost almost 40 lbs and 8 inches off her waist by supplementing her diet with a tonic of Apple Cider Vinegar. She hasn't even changed her eating habits--which are rather bad usually. Another claim she has is that she has energy that she has missed for over 10 years. All this has happened in a 30 day period. I can look at her and just see the energy, how slim she is now, and the fact that she looks YOUNGER. Her skin is rosy and pink again, where it used to be such an ashy, splotchy color and full of wrinkles. Her hair, which has always been very thin (she usually wears a hat in front of company) is lustrous and getting thicker!

I did some research, and apparently ACV (apple cider vinegar) has been used for thousands of years as a cure-all remedy. It revs your metabolism and contains a slew of amazingly beneficial vitamins, including B6, which is long known for its energy benefits. Some people, though not all, do experience a sometimes significant weight loss and over all improvement in their health.

Her 3x daily tonic includes 2tsp of Braggs Pure Unfiltered ACV (must contain the "Mother"), 2 TBLS of LOCAL Honey, and 8 oz of pure filtered water. It is very acidic, so you have to rinse your teeth with water or even a fluoride rinse to protect your teeth from the acidity. You can also add a TBLS of the ACV to a fruit smoothie/shake or a TSP to some Orange juice.

I am going to be trying this along with supplementing with Omega 3s probably 6 capsules total per day, along with 100 mg of B-6 and my prenatals. Because I am pregnant I am not looking to lose weight, but I am looking to combat the overwhelming fatigue I have from having to stop Atkins. I will only be doing the tonic once per day, rather than 3x.

Has anyone else heard of or done this? What are your thoughts/experiences?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
YES!!! ACV is awesome!! I will make a drink with ACV, liquid stevia and water.
Sort of like an apple cider vinegar aid (Like lemon aid). I have also put it in Ice tea, with some stevia.

I can breath better. More energy. Skin feels awesome, there are no bloating problems, I go to the bathroom better. There are tons of benefits.

It also gives me a great PH level. Helps me digest my foods etc...

Lot's of benefits!!!
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aryn12205
WOE: IF/Paleo/Whole Food-Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: January '14
Wonderful! How much ACV do you use in a serving? I like the idea of adding stevia or splenda instead of honey as well. OOO I never thought about putting it into tea either! Great ideas!
aryn12205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryn12205 View Post
Wonderful! How much ACV do you use in a serving? I like the idea of adding stevia or splenda instead of honey as well. OOO I never thought about putting it into tea either! Great ideas!
If you want to fight fatigue, try using it at least twice a day. Mid morning and afternoon. The times that you feel tired. I feel a difference about a half hour after I drink it.

Oh, in the iced tea with Stevia? It almost tastes like apple juice.

I have suffered from fatigue, due to Yeast over growth. ACV and coconut oil have taken care of that for me. Both have great benefits for fatigue.

Also, use the ACV for making salad dressing. Oil and vinegar.

Do you like Cucumbers? I will slice some cucumbers and onions and put them in ACV and water with a little dill.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
I'm sorry, I never answered how much.

I tend to drink it through out the day. Adding it to my water, or to my tea. This way, you don't have to put a lot in at one time. Experiment with it...On how it tastes and how you are feeling.

It's a great aid in digestion and helps you process the nutrients in your foods.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeweeaka
Stats: 235/215/135
WOE: Low Carb! Alternate Day!
Start Date: March 2008! January '09 Restart!
ACV is a great tonic. It helps a great deal to alleviate hunger! It also helped to stabalize my cousins high blood pressure....and alleviate some other side affects of the blood pressure meds...

TJ
skeeweeaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
I like the one with the "Mother" in it.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
I like the one with the "Mother" in it.
OMG, I just assumed that's what we all were talking about here.:blush:

Thanks for pointing that Out, Jonah's Granny!!

aryn12205, it needs to be RAW apple Cider vinegar!!

That's the one that is cloudy with the "Mother" in it.

Braggs is the brand I buy.

ETA: I just looked and Aryn was talking about Braggs with the Mother! *whew*!

Last edited by Tooter; 09-08-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LaRae
Stats: 275/266.5/I'll know
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/8/14
I have taken Braggs ACV every day for almost a year. I haven't noticed any changes as with everything else I take. I also take CO in my coffee every day, Biotin for my hair, and all of the other suggested supplements. Nothing.

I keep taking the ACV for the potassium and hoping there are benefits that aren't noticeable. I have read that it is also good to rinse your hair after washing.
LaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angelhaley
Stats: 205/180/150
WOE: Atkins
This sounds very interesting. I would like to know more.. so, this isn't your normal ACV you see on the counter normally beside the white distilled vinegar ? I've never heard of it..
angelhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelhaley View Post
This sounds very interesting. I would like to know more.. so, this isn't your normal ACV you see on the counter normally beside the white distilled vinegar ? I've never heard of it..
Nope. The stuff you see (mostly) in the grocery store has been cleaned up to look pretty and is missing all the live enzymes in it.

You can buy Braggs in some grocery stores. It's either with the other vinegars or in the organic section.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRae View Post
I have taken Braggs ACV every day for almost a year. I haven't noticed any changes as with everything else I take. I also take CO in my coffee every day, Biotin for my hair, and all of the other suggested supplements. Nothing.

I keep taking the ACV for the potassium and hoping there are benefits that aren't noticeable. I have read that it is also good to rinse your hair after washing.
Yes Braggs is the brand that I use and can be found in the health food store, but I can personally say that it has helped me with my PMS symptoms, as well as menstral cramping....and if I am hungry and am cooking I take some to alleviate the hunger so I won't eat the wrong thing.... Also, as the above poster suggested, if you have yeast overgrowth it definitely helps with those symptoms as well. But, remember to use baking soda after drinking it because it is acidic and is bad on your teeth! Obviously, we all are different and as such our bodies respond differently to supplements as well as diet, but it does work for me! I usually take a tablespoon full 2-3 times a day before meals....

As far as what they mean by the fact that it has "the mother" in it, I think they mean that it has apple pulp in it....at least I hope that is what they mean!

Peace and Blessings!

TJ
235/[COLOR=red]215[/COLOR]/135
Goals for this Month...1. Drink 96 ounces of water a day. 2. Exercise 3 days a week. 3. Eat at BMR at least 3 days week!

Last edited by skeeweeaka; 09-08-2008 at 10:21 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
Start Date: June 2008
I just got some of this yesterday. Looking forward to trying it.
Just tried some a minute ago. Seems much stronger then the veniger I was getting a the store. I took a couple tablespoons in a glass of water.
There was a thread about this a couple of months ago but I can't find it.

Last edited by tomswife; 09-08-2008 at 10:14 AM..
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
Subscribe!
katlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #15

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
if it is too acidic for you add some baking soda to the tonic to balance it out...it still contains all the good stuff after you add it
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #16

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I drink Braggs ACV in my water-hasn't helped in the weight loss dept but is a great diuretic for me.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka View Post

As far as what they mean by the fact that it has "the mother" in it, I think they mean that it has apple pulp in it....at least I hope that is what they mean!

Peace and Blessings!

TJ
Skeeweeaka, the mother is not just pulp. It means that it has the living organisms in it and has not been pasturized. Kind of like yogurt, you want the stuff that still has the little beasties alive and kicking.
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wasabell
Stats: 5' 4" 154/137/125
Start Date: 8/1/2005
A year or so ago, I bought a bottle of GV (Walmart brand) ACV....kept in a cool,dark pantry.

3 months later, it had a "mother" in it.

How wierd is that?

JJ
Wasabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #19

This is where all the healthy goodness in acv is. From the Braggs site

"ACV Has Powerful Health Qualities

Both the general public and the producers of vinegar have been informed as to the powerful health qualities of organic, raw, unfiltered, fully ripened ACV. Ignorance isn't always bliss! When most people see natural apple cider vinegar with the brownish color and the tiny, cobweb "mother" floating in it, they think it looks unappetizing. The general public has been educated and brainwashed to want everything they purchase to have perfect eye appeal!

To meet this demand of clear, light-colored vinegar sans the brownish, cobweb "mother" is the reason producers distill their vinegar. In distilling, the vinegar is turned to steam by heating, thus destroying the powerful enzymes and evaporating the life-giving minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, natural organic fluorine, silicon, trace minerals and pectin as well as many other powerful nutrients! Distilling also destroys the natural malic and tartaric acids which are important in fighting body toxins and inhibiting unfriendly bacteria.

You can see how the public, with their obsession for eye appeal foods, reacts. The producers of Apple Cider Vinegar, who agree to sell their product for a profit, put a death warrant against healthy, organic, raw, fully ripened ACV. The public got what they wanted—a clear, appealing, but dead ACV. When natural ACV was hard to find, other strange vinegars began to appear on grocery shelves. The first was malt vinegar, a refined vinegar. It's clear and acceptable to the public. It tastes like vinegar, but has none of the healing qualities of natural, raw ACV."
Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #20

Gallery: fawn
Love my ACV
It's the only vinegar we use.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
ACV is wonderful. i drink 2T w/stevia and filtered water. delicious!
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
My MIL, who has always been around 200+ lbs for the past 4 years, has recently lost almost 40 lbs and 8 inches off her waist by supplementing her diet with a tonic of Apple Cider Vinegar. She hasn't even changed her eating habits--which are rather bad usually. Another claim she has is that she has energy that she has missed for over 10 years. All this has happened in a 30 day period. ?
40 lbs in 30 days?? No change in eating habits? are you sure nothing else is going on?
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura in Arizona View Post
Skeeweeaka, the mother is not just pulp. It means that it has the living organisms in it and has not been pasturized. Kind of like yogurt, you want the stuff that still has the little beasties alive and kicking.
Thanks Laura for the explanation....I really appreciate it...

Have a blessed day!

TJ
Old 09-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Location: Born and raised a Hoosier but temporarily On the banks of the Mississippi right between Tom and Huck
Gallery: BetsyAnn
do you all refrigerate your acv with the mother or just leave it out at room temp?
BetsyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #25
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I drink Braggs ACV in my water-hasn't helped in the weight loss dept but is a great diuretic for me.
I will keep that in mind next time I need it.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DizzyUpTheGirl
Stats: 249.8/231(restart)/190(mini-goal)
Start Date: January 8, 2007... Restart AGAIN 9/16/10 @ 231
Okay I am very interested in this... So it's ACV but it has to have "mother" in the title on the bottle??? So 2 tsp 3 x a day?? Lol I'm such a noob to this but I am willing to try it! the ACV wont throw you out ketosis??
DizzyUpTheGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #27

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Gee, this stuff has been touted for years, yet the country still gets fatter instead of magically thinner. If it's so darned good, why isn't everyone using it, and why hasn't everyone used it?? Don't you wonder about that?? The weight loss industry is a Billion dollar business folks!!!
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykneesareback View Post
Gee, this stuff has been touted for years, yet the country still gets fatter instead of magically thinner. If it's so darned good, why isn't everyone using it, and why hasn't everyone used it?? Don't you wonder about that?? The weight loss industry is a Billion dollar business folks!!!
I agree don't jump on the bandwagon and start taking it thinking you will lose weight-there is no magic weight loss pill or drink or oil or food. Take it for all of the great health benefits.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickrish
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 12th 07
I used to use it. I want to try again hoping it will clear up my skin!

Luckily I already have braggs. I didn't want to go the honey route so I reluctantly tried it with iced tea earlier I added some liquid stevia and some raspberry davinci's and it was so good. It tasted like Kool Aid which I'm not a huge fan of BUT its better than just plain vinegar. lol

So I'm going to keep that up.
Lickrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I agree don't jump on the bandwagon and start taking it thinking you will lose weight-there is no magic weight loss pill or drink or oil or food. Take it for all of the great health benefits.
I have to admit, I have not had ANY weight loss from drinking it. That said, it does instantly reduce my appetite when I am hungry...and makes me have more energy...but again that could be because I have yeast overgrowth issues...

TJ