Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Apple Cider Vinegar weight loss wonder (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/575264-apple-cider-vinegar-weight-loss-wonder.html)

aryn12205 09-08-2008 09:27 AM

Apple Cider Vinegar weight loss wonder

My MIL, who has always been around 200+ lbs for the past 4 years, has recently lost almost 40 lbs and 8 inches off her waist by supplementing her diet with a tonic of Apple Cider Vinegar. She hasn't even changed her eating habits--which are rather bad usually. Another claim she has is that she has energy that she has missed for over 10 years. All this has happened in a 30 day period. I can look at her and just see the energy, how slim she is now, and the fact that she looks YOUNGER. Her skin is rosy and pink again, where it used to be such an ashy, splotchy color and full of wrinkles. Her hair, which has always been very thin (she usually wears a hat in front of company) is lustrous and getting thicker!

I did some research, and apparently ACV (apple cider vinegar) has been used for thousands of years as a cure-all remedy. It revs your metabolism and contains a slew of amazingly beneficial vitamins, including B6, which is long known for its energy benefits. Some people, though not all, do experience a sometimes significant weight loss and over all improvement in their health.

Her 3x daily tonic includes 2tsp of Braggs Pure Unfiltered ACV (must contain the "Mother"), 2 TBLS of LOCAL Honey, and 8 oz of pure filtered water. It is very acidic, so you have to rinse your teeth with water or even a fluoride rinse to protect your teeth from the acidity. You can also add a TBLS of the ACV to a fruit smoothie/shake or a TSP to some Orange juice.

I am going to be trying this along with supplementing with Omega 3s probably 6 capsules total per day, along with 100 mg of B-6 and my prenatals. Because I am pregnant :love: I am not looking to lose weight, but I am looking to combat the overwhelming fatigue I have from having to stop Atkins. I will only be doing the tonic once per day, rather than 3x.

Has anyone else heard of or done this? What are your thoughts/experiences?

Tooter 09-08-2008 09:31 AM

YES!!! ACV is awesome!! I will make a drink with ACV, liquid stevia and water.
Sort of like an apple cider vinegar aid (Like lemon aid). I have also put it in Ice tea, with some stevia.

I can breath better. More energy. Skin feels awesome, there are no bloating problems, I go to the bathroom better. There are tons of benefits.

It also gives me a great PH level. Helps me digest my foods etc...

Lot's of benefits!!!

aryn12205 09-08-2008 09:34 AM

Wonderful! How much ACV do you use in a serving? I like the idea of adding stevia or splenda instead of honey as well. OOO I never thought about putting it into tea either! Great ideas!

Tooter 09-08-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryn12205 (Post 10833502)
Wonderful! How much ACV do you use in a serving? I like the idea of adding stevia or splenda instead of honey as well. OOO I never thought about putting it into tea either! Great ideas!

If you want to fight fatigue, try using it at least twice a day. Mid morning and afternoon. The times that you feel tired. I feel a difference about a half hour after I drink it.

Oh, in the iced tea with Stevia? It almost tastes like apple juice.

I have suffered from fatigue, due to Yeast over growth. ACV and coconut oil have taken care of that for me. Both have great benefits for fatigue.

Also, use the ACV for making salad dressing. Oil and vinegar.

Do you like Cucumbers? I will slice some cucumbers and onions and put them in ACV and water with a little dill.

Tooter 09-08-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryn12205 (Post 10833502)

I'm sorry, I never answered how much.

I tend to drink it through out the day. Adding it to my water, or to my tea. This way, you don't have to put a lot in at one time. Experiment with it...On how it tastes and how you are feeling.

It's a great aid in digestion and helps you process the nutrients in your foods.

skeeweeaka 09-08-2008 09:54 AM

ACV is a great tonic. It helps a great deal to alleviate hunger! It also helped to stabalize my cousins high blood pressure....and alleviate some other side affects of the blood pressure meds...:p

TJ:heart:

JONAH'S GRANNY 09-08-2008 09:56 AM

I like the one with the "Mother" in it.

Tooter 09-08-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY (Post 10833629)
I like the one with the "Mother" in it.

OMG, I just assumed that's what we all were talking about here.:eek::blush:

Thanks for pointing that Out, Jonah's Granny!!

aryn12205, it needs to be RAW apple Cider vinegar!!

That's the one that is cloudy with the "Mother" in it.

Braggs is the brand I buy.

ETA: I just looked and Aryn was talking about Braggs with the Mother! *whew*!

LaRae 09-08-2008 10:01 AM

I have taken Braggs ACV every day for almost a year. I haven't noticed any changes as with everything else I take. I also take CO in my coffee every day, Biotin for my hair, and all of the other suggested supplements. Nothing.

I keep taking the ACV for the potassium and hoping there are benefits that aren't noticeable. I have read that it is also good to rinse your hair after washing.

angelhaley 09-08-2008 10:03 AM

This sounds very interesting. I would like to know more.. so, this isn't your normal ACV you see on the counter normally beside the white distilled vinegar ? I've never heard of it..

Tooter 09-08-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelhaley (Post 10833678)
This sounds very interesting. I would like to know more.. so, this isn't your normal ACV you see on the counter normally beside the white distilled vinegar ? I've never heard of it..

Nope. The stuff you see (mostly) in the grocery store has been cleaned up to look pretty and is missing all the live enzymes in it.

You can buy Braggs in some grocery stores. It's either with the other vinegars or in the organic section.

skeeweeaka 09-08-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRae (Post 10833669)
I have taken Braggs ACV every day for almost a year. I haven't noticed any changes as with everything else I take. I also take CO in my coffee every day, Biotin for my hair, and all of the other suggested supplements. Nothing.

I keep taking the ACV for the potassium and hoping there are benefits that aren't noticeable. I have read that it is also good to rinse your hair after washing.

Yes Braggs is the brand that I use and can be found in the health food store, but I can personally say that it has helped me with my PMS symptoms, as well as menstral cramping....and if I am hungry and am cooking I take some to alleviate the hunger so I won't eat the wrong thing.... Also, as the above poster suggested, if you have yeast overgrowth it definitely helps with those symptoms as well. But, remember to use baking soda after drinking it because it is acidic and is bad on your teeth! Obviously, we all are different and as such our bodies respond differently to supplements as well as diet, but it does work for me! I usually take a tablespoon full 2-3 times a day before meals....

As far as what they mean by the fact that it has "the mother" in it, I think they mean that it has apple pulp in it....at least I hope that is what they mean!:confused:

Peace and Blessings!

tomswife 09-08-2008 10:07 AM

I just got some of this yesterday. Looking forward to trying it.
Just tried some a minute ago. Seems much stronger then the veniger I was getting a the store. I took a couple tablespoons in a glass of water.
There was a thread about this a couple of months ago but I can't find it.

katlj 09-08-2008 10:24 AM

Subscribe!

debkeversole 09-08-2008 10:35 AM

if it is too acidic for you add some baking soda to the tonic to balance it out...it still contains all the good stuff after you add it

lisabinil 09-08-2008 11:43 AM

I drink Braggs ACV in my water-hasn't helped in the weight loss dept but is a great diuretic for me.

Laura in Arizona 09-08-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeweeaka (Post 10833703)

As far as what they mean by the fact that it has "the mother" in it, I think they mean that it has apple pulp in it....at least I hope that is what they mean!:confused:

Peace and Blessings!

Skeeweeaka, the mother is not just pulp. It means that it has the living organisms in it and has not been pasturized. Kind of like yogurt, you want the stuff that still has the little beasties alive and kicking.

Wasabell 09-08-2008 02:07 PM

A year or so ago, I bought a bottle of GV (Walmart brand) ACV....kept in a cool,dark pantry.

3 months later, it had a "mother" in it.

How wierd is that?

JJ

lisabinil 09-08-2008 02:11 PM

This is where all the healthy goodness in acv is. From the Braggs site

"ACV Has Powerful Health Qualities

Both the general public and the producers of vinegar have been informed as to the powerful health qualities of organic, raw, unfiltered, fully ripened ACV. Ignorance isn't always bliss! When most people see natural apple cider vinegar with the brownish color and the tiny, cobweb "mother" floating in it, they think it looks unappetizing. The general public has been educated and brainwashed to want everything they purchase to have perfect eye appeal!

To meet this demand of clear, light-colored vinegar sans the brownish, cobweb "mother" is the reason producers distill their vinegar. In distilling, the vinegar is turned to steam by heating, thus destroying the powerful enzymes and evaporating the life-giving minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, natural organic fluorine, silicon, trace minerals and pectin as well as many other powerful nutrients! Distilling also destroys the natural malic and tartaric acids which are important in fighting body toxins and inhibiting unfriendly bacteria.

You can see how the public, with their obsession for eye appeal foods, reacts. The producers of Apple Cider Vinegar, who agree to sell their product for a profit, put a death warrant against healthy, organic, raw, fully ripened ACV. The public got what they wanted—a clear, appealing, but dead ACV. When natural ACV was hard to find, other strange vinegars began to appear on grocery shelves. The first was malt vinegar, a refined vinegar. It's clear and acceptable to the public. It tastes like vinegar, but has none of the healing qualities of natural, raw ACV."

fawn 09-08-2008 02:35 PM

Love my ACV
It's the only vinegar we use.

anniemo 09-08-2008 02:55 PM

ACV is wonderful. i drink 2T w/stevia and filtered water. delicious!

Nelle Belle 09-08-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryn12205 (Post 10833443)
My MIL, who has always been around 200+ lbs for the past 4 years, has recently lost almost 40 lbs and 8 inches off her waist by supplementing her diet with a tonic of Apple Cider Vinegar. She hasn't even changed her eating habits--which are rather bad usually. Another claim she has is that she has energy that she has missed for over 10 years. All this has happened in a 30 day period. ?

40 lbs in 30 days?? No change in eating habits? are you sure nothing else is going on?

skeeweeaka 09-08-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura in Arizona (Post 10834299)
Skeeweeaka, the mother is not just pulp. It means that it has the living organisms in it and has not been pasturized. Kind of like yogurt, you want the stuff that still has the little beasties alive and kicking.

Thanks Laura for the explanation....I really appreciate it...:hugs:

Have a blessed day!

BetsyAnn 09-08-2008 06:35 PM

do you all refrigerate your acv with the mother or just leave it out at room temp?

KOO 09-08-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 10834220)
I drink Braggs ACV in my water-hasn't helped in the weight loss dept but is a great diuretic for me.

I will keep that in mind next time I need it.

DizzyUpTheGirl 09-08-2008 06:37 PM

Okay I am very interested in this... So it's ACV but it has to have "mother" in the title on the bottle??? So 2 tsp 3 x a day?? Lol I'm such a noob to this but I am willing to try it! the ACV wont throw you out ketosis??

mykneesareback 09-08-2008 06:40 PM

Gee, this stuff has been touted for years, yet the country still gets fatter instead of magically thinner. If it's so darned good, why isn't everyone using it, and why hasn't everyone used it?? Don't you wonder about that?? The weight loss industry is a Billion dollar business folks!!!

lisabinil 09-08-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykneesareback (Post 10836419)
Gee, this stuff has been touted for years, yet the country still gets fatter instead of magically thinner. If it's so darned good, why isn't everyone using it, and why hasn't everyone used it?? Don't you wonder about that?? The weight loss industry is a Billion dollar business folks!!!

I agree don't jump on the bandwagon and start taking it thinking you will lose weight-there is no magic weight loss pill or drink or oil or food. Take it for all of the great health benefits. :)

Lickrish 09-08-2008 07:10 PM

I used to use it. I want to try again hoping it will clear up my skin!

Luckily I already have braggs. I didn't want to go the honey route so I reluctantly tried it with iced tea earlier I added some liquid stevia and some raspberry davinci's and it was so good. It tasted like Kool Aid which I'm not a huge fan of BUT its better than just plain vinegar. lol

So I'm going to keep that up.

skeeweeaka 09-08-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 10836446)
I agree don't jump on the bandwagon and start taking it thinking you will lose weight-there is no magic weight loss pill or drink or oil or food. Take it for all of the great health benefits. :)

I have to admit, I have not had ANY weight loss from drinking it. That said, it does instantly reduce my appetite when I am hungry...and makes me have more energy...but again that could be because I have yeast overgrowth issues...:doh: