Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #241
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
How does one take CO? By the tablespoon?
The best way is to use it in place of other fats-cook with it, bake with and some have it in their coffee or make co bark.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
Quote:
How does one take CO? By the tablespoon?
By the spoon, melted in coffee or tea.. however you can manage to get down roughly 3.5TB a day. (more if you are ill..)

Cooking is one way, adding it to veggies with your butter is another. It is really a miracle cure for a lot of things (I am reading a book right now called the Coconut Oil Miracle LOL).
Margot 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozak View Post
By the spoon, melted in coffee or tea.. however you can manage to get down roughly 3.5TB a day. (more if you are ill..)

Cooking is one way, adding it to veggies with your butter is another. It is really a miracle cure for a lot of things (I am reading a book right now called the Coconut Oil Miracle LOL).
Prozak I thought of you today and the thread you were posting in about most people having a wheat intolerance. In "The Diet Cure" Julia Ross says these symptoms are a refeeding of yeast not an intolerance to grains or fruits. This is a great book.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Prozak I thought of you today and the thread you were posting in about most people having a wheat intolerance. In "The Diet Cure" Julia Ross says these symptoms are a refeeding of yeast not an intolerance to grains or fruits. This is a great book.
OMG go see my last post in the candida thread.

eye2eye
Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #245

Quote:
OMG go see my last post in the candida thread.

eye2eye

It also has a lot of good info on gluten intolerance.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am buying that book, I think I will buy 2 and send one to my sister, what a birthday gift that could turn out to be huh!

Thanks lisa
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #247

Quote:
I am buying that book, I think I will buy 2 and send one to my sister, what a birthday gift that could turn out to be huh!

Thanks lisa
It is fabulous and packed with so much info I can reread this and learn something new every time.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #248
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Quote:

I should get that book! I've been using it in place of regular oil or butter for things like eggs, or to oil pasta to keep it from sticking. I'll definitely give nit a shot in my tea.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #249
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Goldenrod
Stats: 152/135/125 5'2"
WOE: LC whole foods/Rob Faigin's NHE
Start Date: Nov 1, 2006
Okay, I finally got off my rear end and bought Bragg's ACV vinegar today. Already had a few tbsp, just in a glass of water. The taste didn't bother me at all, so I'm relieved that I'll be able to take it in so easily.

I bought coconut oil, too. I've heard too many things about these to *not* try them. Can't wait to see/feel some effects.

I do have a question, though. When I think about the way I look and feel, I don't think I have any "problems." I don't feel like anything specific is lacking, and I don't feel like my skin or nails are exceptionally dry. (Isn't CO supposed to help with this, amont all its other effects?)

I guess I'm wondering if any of you just started using these two items because of all the overall health benefits, rather than as a remedy for any specific problems. And if so, have you been surprised at the positive effects you've felt, or positive changes you didn't even think you needed?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Already used the CO in a cup of coffee earlier. It was great, but I'm going to take it slow -- I've read about some people having major bathroom issues with this stuff!!
Goldenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
So, back to the ACV topic : My SO started it yesterday and experienced the same energy surge -- and the same many trips to the potty -- that I did! He's also thrilled that it's killing his appetite. (I get that a bit, but not as much as he does.) We both agreed that we're willing to give a full bottle (each) a shot and reassess at that point.

Now here's something interesting and I'm wondering if anyone's experienced this: I haven't had any real breakouts for over a year (since starting Retin A,) but now I have some pimples on my chin. I realize it's a hormonal thing, but I'm wondering if this is detox as well. Yeast?
katlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristin4
Stats: 260.8 /233/ 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/08
Ok, I tried just a little more ACV tonight. I am allergic to it. Instant itching again and a headache from hell. I guess I will just have to use the coconut oil.
kristin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #252
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlj View Post
Now here's something interesting and I'm wondering if anyone's experienced this: I haven't had any real breakouts for over a year (since starting Retin A,) but now I have some pimples on my chin. I realize it's a hormonal thing, but I'm wondering if this is detox as well. Yeast?
OMG YES!!! ME TOO!! 2 days after I started the ACV I have FOUR - count 'em - FOUR on my chin/under my lip......... and I haven't done anything different in my cleansing routine and I don't break out! grrrrrrrrrrrrr
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #253
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Um could I threadjack for just a sec? I have CO in my cupboard from like a year ago - does it go bad? It's in solid form..
Thanks!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #254
Not Jake

No answer from me, we go through it fast!

In terms of yeast (which I am concerned about because I have read that yeast can make your allergies go out of control, and this is an issue with me lately) starting tomorrow, I am all about one ACV drink and a cup of tea with CO each morning. I hope it helps (pray it helps).
Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #255
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
starting tomorrow, I am all about one ACV drink and a cup of tea with CO each morning. I hope it helps (pray it helps).
Sounds like you could really benefit from the ACV! I'm sure it will - I would take it more than just once in the AM though.........
Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #256
Not Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by losin4good1980 View Post
Sounds like you could really benefit from the ACV! I'm sure it will - I would take it more than just once in the AM though.........
Am/PM maybe? Or more?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
Quote:
Am/PM maybe? Or more?
Bragg's recommends 1-2 tsp 3 times/day: "...upon arising, mid-morning and mid-afternoon."

If I take any after around 4 p.m. I'm up late.
katlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #258
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Am/PM maybe? Or more?
On the bottle of my Bragg's ACV, it says to have 2 teaspoons, 3 times a day - I would take it with a meal..

Today I've had 2 Tablespoons mixed in with some Lipton Iced tea - fabulous!

But yeah - I'm just learning about all of this stuff too but from what I'm reading from others posts ~ definitely have it more than once a day considering what you're going through...

HTH and good luck and keep us posted tomorrow!!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #259
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Jake,
local bee pollen helps with allergy relief. (health food store).
I stir 1 tsp into my protein shake/egg cream (15 cals; 2 carbs; 1 protein).
local bee honey helps too, but that has way too many carbs!
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #260
Not Jake

Dumb question: can you mix Co and ACV with the hot tea? I could totally do that all day.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #261
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Quote:
Dumb question: can you mix Co and ACV with the hot tea? I could totally do that all day.
I don't see why not! Sounds like a great way to get both in you, tastefully!

just make sure it's EVCO (not just CO)...

Tropical Traditions, Nutiva, a reputable brand such as that...
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #262

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
I cook with CO but only if I'm sauteing or something.

I know this is an ignorant question, but do boys get Candida?
When Most people think of Candida/Yeast, they think of "Female" yeast infections because that is one of the most talked about symptoms. The truth is that just as many guys get have Candida/yeast as females. It starts in the Gut with an imbalance in the flora.

There is even a theory, that Alcoholics have a major Yeast imbalance. Did it come first or Later?
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlj View Post
So, back to the ACV topic : My SO started it yesterday and experienced the same energy surge -- and the same many trips to the potty -- that I did! He's also thrilled that it's killing his appetite. (I get that a bit, but not as much as he does.) We both agreed that we're willing to give a full bottle (each) a shot and reassess at that point.

Yes, it could be. Even with using CO (On the skin as a moisturizer) some people will have a little "break out" at first. It's from killing yeast on the skin, die off and the toxins released. Before I started using CO, I read up and knew about this. It lasted a week or so. Then my skin looked fantastic after the initial "die off" and was clear.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #264
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenrod View Post
Okay, I finally got off my rear end and bought Bragg's ACV vinegar today. Already had a few tbsp, just in a glass of water. The taste didn't bother me at all, so I'm relieved that I'll be able to take it in so easily.

I bought coconut oil, too. I've heard too many things about these to *not* try them. Can't wait to see/feel some effects.

I do have a question, though. When I think about the way I look and feel, I don't think I have any "problems." I don't feel like anything specific is lacking, and I don't feel like my skin or nails are exceptionally dry. (Isn't CO supposed to help with this, amont all its other effects?)

I guess I'm wondering if any of you just started using these two items because of all the overall health benefits, rather than as a remedy for any specific problems. And if so, have you been surprised at the positive effects you've felt, or positive changes you didn't even think you needed?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Already used the CO in a cup of coffee earlier. It was great, but I'm going to take it slow -- I've read about some people having major bathroom issues with this stuff!!
i started using because i heard they were healthy (did the research as well) and was surprised by how they helped little symptoms here and there. people comment on how great my skin looks all the time and i now rarely get the "butterfly" rash associated with lupus. i've convinced some of my "healthy" friends (no autoimmune diseases that they know of) to start these things for a full body tune up and they feel great. more than anything they say they feel energized. i know for me my coconut oil, acv, yerba mate, and b vitamins have been a life savor for someone plagued with fatigue.
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Folks,

If the folk remedies don't eliminate the yeast, PLEASE test your blood sugar. Recurrent yeast infections are a major warning sign that your blood sugar is running higher than normal.

Doctors are extremely bad at picking up on this. I had drug resistant yeast infections for almost a decade before getting a diabetes diagnosis. As SOON as I normalized my blood sugar, that was it. No more yeast.

I have read the Yeast Connection and have come to the conclusion that the author is attributing a lot of the symptoms of high blood sugar to candida when you can produce the same symptoms without any yeast, just by running high blood sugar for a month or so. That book was written in the bad old days when the diagnostic criteria for diabetes were MUCH higher than they are now and many people went undiagnosed, like I did.

Prednisone (or any cortisone) raises blood sugar dramatically. Doctors, who do not themselves measure blood sugar, way underestimate the amount. Those of us who have measured see that it almost always pushes people into the "pre-diabetic" range--where yeast flourish if not into actual diabetes.

Some people with more enlightened doctors have actually taken insulin along with their cortisone because that is the ONLY way to keep blood sugars low enough to prevent them doing damage.

My blood sugar was pushed from a lifetime of having blood sugars that were a very manageable "pre-diabetic" to being completely diabetic by ONE course of prednisone. I have heard the same story for others.

Vinegar may appear to reverse borderline prediabetes because it will lower blood sugar. But past a certain point it will not have any effect on blood sugar and at that point, it is very unlikely it will help with yeast. High blood sugar makes all the fluids in your body the ideal medium in which to grow yeast.

BTW, men get yeast. It is called "balanitis", "jock itch" or athlete's foot. All are often a sign of raised blood sugars too.

The best treatment for drug resistant vaginal yeast, BTW, is boric acid. It works when nothing else does and is particularly helpful for older ladies whose pH has changed after menopause. My gynecologist told me about it years ago and it has always worked for me.

Last edited by Blood Sugar 101; 09-17-2008 at 04:16 AM..
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Hi guys,
I'm not really up on the benefits of ACV and have just been using it primarily for appetite control. I notice that someone else got itchy skin and I, too, have recently had the same thing, my ears even itch and I'm scratching myself silly. I've been taking Benadryl daily and now I'm wondering if it is the ACV. I started using it regularly several weeks ago in salads and I can't be sure of the timing of the itchy skin but it seems to coincide. I hate to give it up as it does appear to be helping with appetite control plus all the additional benefits.

My question is if it is the ACV, will I just get use to it and the skin itching will stop and how long does that take? I had a reaction to CO too when I took it. Only I became violently ill, severe vomitting etc. I did reintroduce CO SLOWLY and did OK.

Thanks.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
DENMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #267
Not Jake

Good morning ladies!

*raises big ole mug of greezy tea*
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #268
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
Quote:
Good morning ladies!

enjoy!
tinatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #269

Quote:
Good morning ladies!

Cheers!! *raising mine up to click with Jakes*
Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristin4
Stats: 260.8 /233/ 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
Folks,

If the folk remedies don't eliminate the yeast, PLEASE test your blood sugar. Recurrent yeast infections are a major warning sign that your blood sugar is running higher than normal.

Doctors are extremely bad at picking up on this. I had drug resistant yeast infections for almost a decade before getting a diabetes diagnosis. As SOON as I normalized my blood sugar, that was it. No more yeast.

I have read the Yeast Connection and have come to the conclusion that the author is attributing a lot of the symptoms of high blood sugar to candida when you can produce the same symptoms without any yeast, just by running high blood sugar for a month or so. That book was written in the bad old days when the diagnostic criteria for diabetes were MUCH higher than they are now and many people went undiagnosed, like I did.

Prednisone (or any cortisone) raises blood sugar dramatically. Doctors, who do not themselves measure blood sugar, way underestimate the amount. Those of us who have measured see that it almost always pushes people into the "pre-diabetic" range--where yeast flourish if not into actual diabetes.

Some people with more enlightened doctors have actually taken insulin along with their cortisone because that is the ONLY way to keep blood sugars low enough to prevent them doing damage.

My blood sugar was pushed from a lifetime of having blood sugars that were a very manageable "pre-diabetic" to being completely diabetic by ONE course of prednisone. I have heard the same story for others.

Vinegar may appear to reverse borderline prediabetes because it will lower blood sugar. But past a certain point it will not have any effect on blood sugar and at that point, it is very unlikely it will help with yeast. High blood sugar makes all the fluids in your body the ideal medium in which to grow yeast.

BTW, men get yeast. It is called "balanitis", "jock itch" or athlete's foot. All are often a sign of raised blood sugars too.

The best treatment for drug resistant vaginal yeast, BTW, is boric acid. It works when nothing else does and is particularly helpful for older ladies whose pH has changed after menopause. My gynecologist told me about it years ago and it has always worked for me.
Thanks for posting this. Are you saying, with my higher than normal BG levels, and my history of steroids I can't get the benefits of ACV and CO? SO being prediabetic or possibly type II diabetic (I go to the Dr this week) will keep the yeast alive and living because I can't get the BG levels lower, but if I am started on meds and it lowers my BG levels, then I might have a fighting chance to rid myself of the yeast? I thought ACV helped in lowering BG levels in people that are not low on insulin levels but insulin resistant.
I am just getting confused with all of the information out there on home remedies.
Where do I go from here?

260 259 258 257 256 255 254 253 252 251 250 249 248 247 246 245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234
[COLOR="Red"]233[/COLOR] 232 231 230
kristin4 is offline   Reply With Quote