Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #151
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Rebecca130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,361
Gallery: Rebecca130
Stats: 201/ 183/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Jan 23, 2008
Thanks guys. I think I'll keep it on the kitchen counter so that it reminds me to use it.
Rebecca130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #152
Big Yapper!!!!
 
ScarletBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enchanted Island
Posts: 7,937
Gallery: ScarletBlonde
Stats: 171.4/135/137
WOE: WW/SB
After 3 months, I finally got the courage to try this. I did NOT enjoy it one bit, I even put some green tea powder in it and it didn't help much.

I'm going to try it in crystal light. If it doesn't work, then I think I'll just use it in salads.
ScarletBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!
 
SJN02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,753
Gallery: SJN02
Stats: 242/234.5/152
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: march 3, 14
I just took my first dose around 3 and didn't find it too bad. I am one who is VERY PICKY when it comes to taste. I used 3 cap fulls with 1/2 a glass of water. Then followed it down with more water afterwards. I have high blood pressure and I am really hoping this helps with it. I would love to save the money each month I pay on prescription for it. Does anyone know how long it takes to kick in? I did take my pressure before I took ACV and it was 123/90 with my medicine I took last night. (I take my bp meds before bedtime) I plan on taking it again around 8 to see if it is any better. I really need to get the bottom number down.

Last edited by SJN02; 09-14-2008 at 02:42 PM..
SJN02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #154
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Gladsome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,150
Gallery: Gladsome
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/3/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlonde View Post
After 3 months, I finally got the courage to try this. I did NOT enjoy it one bit, I even put some green tea powder in it and it didn't help much.

I'm going to try it in crystal light. If it doesn't work, then I think I'll just use it in salads.
Add a little bit of baking soda to it. Takes the acid sting away from it.
Gladsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #155
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,579
Gallery: losin4good1980
So I have the pill form - anyone know how much of the pills to take to get the equivalent of the 2tsp 3x a day? Each pill has 500mg of ACV powder.......
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #156
Way too much time on my hands!
 
melsybop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Canadian Chickie.
Posts: 32,063
Gallery: melsybop
Stats: praying in the Grotto
WOE: waiting for the prayers to take hold
Start Date: no time like now
Quote:
Originally Posted by losin4good1980 View Post
So I have the pill form - anyone know how much of the pills to take to get the equivalent of the 2tsp 3x a day? Each pill has 500mg of ACV powder.......
My pills are 600 and I take 3 a day but my aunt is taking 500 and she is taking 4.
melsybop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member
 
InWonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Med school land...
Posts: 106
Gallery: InWonderland
WOE: K.I.S.S!
Start Date: Feb. '08
Must get to bed but subscribing to read the whole thread tomorrow...very cool!
InWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!
 
SJN02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,753
Gallery: SJN02
Stats: 242/234.5/152
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: march 3, 14
so far here is what my bp readings have been:
before taking acv at 3 p.m.: 123/90
8:00 p.m.: 121/81
took bp pill at 9 and went to bed.
6:30 a.m. 123/82

I will say I was up on the scales this morning a couple of lb.s. But I was not completely on plan yesterday either. Oh and I haven't been going potty anymore taking acv than I did before..
SJN02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #159
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,579
Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsybop View Post
My pills are 600 and I take 3 a day but my aunt is taking 500 and she is taking 4.
She only takes 4 pills in total or 4 doses? Cause the directions say 1-2 pills at mealtimes, 3 times a day.. so i'm taking 6 pills total a day... but i'm not getting the extra energy boost or diuretic effect as I did when I took the ACV in pure liquid form... bah.. I wish I could've handled the strong smell and taste of it! It was just putrid for me!
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #160
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by losin4good1980 View Post
She only takes 4 pills in total or 4 doses? Cause the directions say 1-2 pills at mealtimes, 3 times a day.. so i'm taking 6 pills total a day... but i'm not getting the extra energy boost or diuretic effect as I did when I took the ACV in pure liquid form... bah.. I wish I could've handled the strong smell and taste of it! It was just putrid for me!
I've put ACV in a Glass of Ice Tea with stevia. It almost taste like apple juice or Cider. Have you tried that?
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 747
Gallery: annabird
where do you buy the pills? i think i could stomach this route. i am very interested - please keep us posted on how it's going with them.

love this thread!
annabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 434
Gallery: Caty
What does it do for stomach ulcers?
Caty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #163
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,579
Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
I've put ACV in a Glass of Ice Tea with stevia. It almost taste like apple juice or Cider. Have you tried that?
When I tried it, I used 2tsp ACV, 16 oz water, 2pkg sugar twin (We can't buy stevia here) - drank that and it was nasty - next time i tried the above with some caramel Davinci's in it.. almost worse.. it was just sooo strong and no matter how much I diluted it, I couldn't handle getting it down.
I did not try Ice Tea though because here we can't get sugar free ice tea - we DO have SF KoolAid and I did try that but again, could taste the vinegar..

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabird View Post
where do you buy the pills? i think i could stomach this route. i am very interested - please keep us posted on how it's going with them.

love this thread!
I just bought them at our local grocery store - in the supplement section..
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #164
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 50
Gallery: geminifox
Stats: 179/125
WOE: HHCG - R1P2
Start Date: January 6 2012
I have been adding the ACV to nestea green tea zero made with splenda and you don't notice the taste of the ACV at all.
geminifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #165
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,579
Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminifox View Post
I have been adding the ACV to nestea green tea zero made with splenda and you don't notice the taste of the ACV at all.
How much ACV do you put in the green tea mix? And how big of a glass of green tea do you use? Maybe I'll try this since I am not feeling any difference with the pill form..
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #166
Way too much time on my hands!
 
melsybop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Canadian Chickie.
Posts: 32,063
Gallery: melsybop
Stats: praying in the Grotto
WOE: waiting for the prayers to take hold
Start Date: no time like now
Quote:
Originally Posted by losin4good1980 View Post
When I tried it, I used 2tsp ACV, 16 oz water, 2pkg sugar twin (We can't buy stevia here) - drank that and it was nasty - next time i tried the above with some caramel Davinci's in it.. almost worse.. it was just sooo strong and no matter how much I diluted it, I couldn't handle getting it down.
I did not try Ice Tea though because here we can't get sugar free ice tea - we DO have SF KoolAid and I did try that but again, could taste the vinegar..



I just bought them at our local grocery store - in the supplement section..
You can't get Stevia??Check low carb grocery!!!! (google)
melsybop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #167
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,579
Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsybop View Post
You can't get Stevia??Check low carb grocery!!!! (google)
Actually when I was out today I seen we have some at our Walmart now! YAY! I'll get some on grocery day!
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,135
Gallery: Margot 65
I can buy several different brands of Stevia at any health food store around.

Look for the Sweetleaf brand, that is my favorite so far



Don't bother with the packets, they are costly and unless you need it for Tim Horton's drive thru it is not worth the $$$.

I just found my bottle of ACV (I knew it was SOMEWHERE) and I mixed up :

2 packets of True Lemon
stevia
water
1tbs AVC

it tastes a lot like just iced tea.....

I used to drink it in just water, this is SO much better. And the True Lemon has vit C too!

Margot 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 743
Gallery: SLynnB
So, I started drinking this on Wed. evening, based on my weight on Thurs. morning, I'm down 4.5 pounds. Now, I know I that isn't based on how I've eaten. Although, I will say that I seem to be getting full sooner, so not eating quite so much a one sitting (sure that helps). Whether to attribute to the ACV or not, that is the question. I've talked hubby into drinking 1 glass of my concoction (SF fruit punch (from packets, have different brands), ACV (1 TBL per 8-oz liquid) and enough sweetener to take away most of the tang) for 1 week and not changing what he eats (can we say lots of junk here), to see what happens with him.

Interesting.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member
 
50something's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: oklahoma for now
Posts: 78
Gallery: 50something
Stats: fat/slim
WOE: Low Carb/ Net Carb
So sherylnn, how often and how much per day are you using?
50something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #171
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,988
Gallery: pocahontas
I think I am going to try mine in iced tea as well. I had only been using it in salad dressings or wherever I used to use white vinegar but spiking one of my teas sounds like an easy way to get the job done.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member
 
DizzyUpTheGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 606
Gallery: DizzyUpTheGirl
Stats: 249.8/231(restart)/190(mini-goal)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 8, 2007... Restart AGAIN 9/16/10 @ 231
Okay I know you guys already answered this (sorry!), but the Riteaid by my house has "ACV diet pills" and they have 2g of carbs for 3 pills, do they have the same effects as the actual ACV liquid and would you guys recommend taking them? Every time I drive by riteaid I stop to buy them, but then I get hesitant because I wanna know for sure before I buy them lol. Thanks again, and sorry to repeat the question!!
DizzyUpTheGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #173
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,579
Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyUpTheGirl View Post
Okay I know you guys already answered this (sorry!), but the Riteaid by my house has "ACV diet pills" and they have 2g of carbs for 3 pills, do they have the same effects as the actual ACV liquid and would you guys recommend taking them? Every time I drive by riteaid I stop to buy them, but then I get hesitant because I wanna know for sure before I buy them lol. Thanks again, and sorry to repeat the question!!
The pills I have don't have any carbs in them, but I can certainly tell you without a doubt I am not experiencing the same effects that I did with the pure liquid form.. I'm not sure if I'm not taking enough pills or not but I'm taking as much as the bottle says to (2 pills, 3 times a day, 500mg of ACV powder in each pill) ... so I hope that helps a little!
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,135
Gallery: Margot 65
I am not positive, but when I was using ACV in the past I am sure I was told the pills are not the same as the actual liquid with the mother in it.

That was 4 years ago, there might be better pills out now?
Margot 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #175
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Monkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monkeeville USA
Posts: 6,258
Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
I tried the apple cider vinegar today for the first time and I just couldn't do it! LOL. I only took a sip and it was so nasty. I added water/lemon/splenda to cover up the taste/smell and it didnt help. It went down the drain. Will try again tomorrow....

A little bummed since I LOVE vinegar.
I am addicted to red wine vinegar.

But this stuff, ack, gross.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #176
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,050
Gallery: fawn
Rather than take pills folks, use it as a dressing and marinade.

Real people, real food.

You don't get the whole amino acid benefit from the pills I'm sure. As well, are these from organic apples? That's a biggie too.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #177
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,579
Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozak View Post
I am not positive, but when I was using ACV in the past I am sure I was told the pills are not the same as the actual liquid with the mother in it.

That was 4 years ago, there might be better pills out now?
Yeah you can say that again! It's definately not the same.. I'm guessing you're right - I'm missing the mother!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMonkee View Post
I tried the apple cider vinegar today for the first time and I just couldn't do it! LOL. I only took a sip and it was so nasty. I added water/lemon/splenda to cover up the taste/smell and it didnt help. It went down the drain. Will try again tomorrow....

A little bummed since I LOVE vinegar.
I am addicted to red wine vinegar.

But this stuff, ack, gross.
Girl, I'm in the same boat! I was the same way - although I did choke it down - gagging after every gulp.. *shudder*
STUPID ME ~ I dumped mine out - I am going back to the store tomorrow and getting another bottle - thank God it was on sale and it was only a few dollars down the drain.. stupid stupid..
I'm going to mix it with a bit of baking soda as someone suggested - I guess it takes the putrid-ness away.. and then I'll mix it with some S/F Koolaid ..
Don't give up - you can do it!!
DON'T be stupid like me and dump the bottle and get pills.. blech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Rather than take pills folks, use it as a dressing and marinade.

Real people, real food.

You don't get the whole amino acid benefit from the pills I'm sure. As well, are these from organic apples? That's a biggie too.
Fawn darling - such the voice of reason... *shakes head* I always think of something my trainer said one time.. "If it's made by humans - it's not good for you" ... I totally agree so I don't know what possessed me to buy these stupid pills!
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #178
HB = Healthy & Balanced
 
hummingbird11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texan w/ Hawaiian Soul loving life in N Calif! :)
Posts: 7,857
Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
that's right, Fawn! Real Food Rawks!

I made this yummy Caesar dressing last night:

1 cup organic mayo
1 organic egg
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons EVOO
4 tablespoons ACV
2 tablespoons organic lemon juice
1 Tbsp crushed garlic
1 Tsp ground black pepper

combine & chill & consume!

Last edited by hummingbird11; 09-15-2008 at 06:37 PM..
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,135
Gallery: Margot 65
You know what? I promise you it will get easier.. take it slowly and you will actually start to enjoy it.

Maybe start with a tsp 3x a day
Margot 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #180
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,579
Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
that's right, Fawn! Real Food Rawks!

I made this yummy Caesar dressing last night:

1 cup organic mayo
1 organic egg
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons EVOO
4 tablespoons ACV
2 tablespoons organic lemon juice
1 Tbsp crushed garlic
1 Tsp ground black pepper

combine & chill & consume!
OMG this sounds so awesome! I'm going to try this - thanks so much for posting!!
How long will this be good for in the fridge?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozak View Post
You know what? I promise you it will get easier.. take it slowly and you will actually start to enjoy it.

Maybe start with a tsp 3x a day
GREAT advice - I'm totally gonna do it! WOOT! lol
losin4good1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.