Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #571
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
I have read (and know of at least one case) where heinz ACV produced great results. Anyone here use heinz?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Kombucha Tea (KT) vs (ACV) Vinegar (raw apple cider) & raw honey

Aryn - I referenced your thread & comments here in my post: I'm hoping that is ok Kombucha Tea (KT) vs (ACV) Vinegar (raw apple cider) & raw honey
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #573
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
I have read (and know of at least one case) where heinz ACV produced great results. Anyone here use heinz?
I'm sure even after pasteurization it has some benefits. I definitely wouldn't recommend the gallon bottle that is apple cider FLAVORED. The smaller glass bottles are at least apple cider vinegar. I have the same objection to using heinz that I do to using commercially available raw Almonds (now) Since 2008, they have been required to be pasteurized/irradiated turning a healthy living food into a corpse. It may look basically the same, but after it's dead, I'm assuming it quickly loses it's health promoting effects. It's like canned vegetables: there is still some nutritional value but nothing compared to fresh picked. Even fresh vegetables lose much of the nutritional value the longer it takes to get them to market and in your belly.

*Almonds can be bought direct from the farmers (on ebay etc.) and not be irradiated!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #574
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Cindy, I looked up the grower you recommended on e-bay. About $3 a pound which I think is better than Costco. I'm ordering some. Thanks

Ran out and bought some Bragg ACV. I'll report back.
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #575
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I like Bragg's but Eden's ACV tastes a bit better. I'm back on the regime of 2 T morning and evening!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #576
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juncus
WOE: JUDDD & Low Carb
Start Date: 05/13/14 (LC), 07/07/14 (JUDDD & LC)
I just started taking ACV a few days ago, and I LOVE it!! I have felt GREAT so far this week -- LOTS of energy and MUCH happier "in the bathroom"! The only thing I have been doing differently is consuming ACV, and I just feel much better than I normally do (been doing "induction" for about 4 months now). I don't know how it has affected my actual weight -- since I don't have a scale -- but I can definitely tell that it IS doing SOMETHING!
juncus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #577
Always on, slightly off

Are you all taking it right before meals? I know some of you sip on it all day but I was kinda wondering about timing of the stuff.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #578
LJB

2 T with a some cold water mixed in and shoot it down. Usually after my breakfast in the morning and after dinner in the evening.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #579
Senior LCF Member

Kombucha tea (KT) vs Raw Apple cider vinegar (ACV)

I've posted this in another thread already and made it's own thread but guess I really should post here also, since this thread is what started it for me.

I know nothing about biochemistry, no clue about acetic acid, gluconic acid etc. but my goal is restoring my health and Kombucha is my current focus. I'm hoping some of you more knowledgeable folks can help clarify my thoughts. The main reason I got interested in KT is I had always heard the health benefits of raw vinegar but it must have the mother and didn't realize mother was in the bottle and not something separate. Then I heard about KT and brewing with the mother, so thought I would give that a try. Expected more of a medicinal tonic, wasn't expecting it to come out like soda pop & to enjoy it SO much.

Kombucha tea (KT) vs Raw Apple cider vinegar (ACV) - makes me go hmmmm - both touted as health promoting items. Are they based on the same base for healing?? And if a KT mother can be transformed to a vinegar mother by innoculating it with ACV, why not? ACV is 5% acetic acid - KT is 1% but ACV has NO gluconic acid and they say that is the difference & the healing benefit of KT. In 1958, Dr.Jarvis touted ACV, raw honey (and kelp?) as a healing elixir. The low carb folks are pftttting ACV as useless (for them) after giving it a trial but low carb folks are using stevia etc. NOT honey. What is the healing aspect of raw honey? Gluconic acid - hmmmmmm - would raw honey & ACV give you a super potent version of KT??? or maybe just a version?? Maybe a synergy exists that is more powerful than either of the components, hmmm. Would there be a synergy with KT AND ACV AND honey all together?? I have lots of questions and this is a whole new field that I know nothing about. Unfortunately KT nor vinegar have few studies, there is no $$ motivation in either one, so there is lil research for one to access mostly anecdotal information.

Check out this (editted - my emphasis) post from aryn12205 on the low carb message board -
Apple Cider Vinegar weight loss wonder

9/2008 All this happened in a 30 day period. My MIL who was 200+ lbs lost 40 lbs & 8 inches off her waist with a tonic of Apple Cider Vinegar. She hasn't even changed her eating habits-which are rather bad usually. She claims she has energy that she has missed for over 10 years. I can see the energy, how slim she is now, the fact that she looks YOUNGER. Her skin is rosy, it used to be an ashy, splotchy color, full of wrinkles. Her previously thin hair is lustrous & getting thicker!
Her 3x daily tonic = 2tsp of Braggs Pure Unfiltered ACV (must contain "Mother"), 2 TBLS of LOCAL Honey & 8 oz of pure filtered water.
5/2009 update requested - My MIL lost 20 more lbs (total 60#) & attributes it to the ACV she takes 3x a day. Her hunger and cravings have been significantly curbed, her type 2 diabetes is completely gone, and her overall energy has improved.

Vinegar is relatively CHEAP, even the expensive stuff. (KT is cheap if you make it yourself) Jarvis and others weren't motivated by the sale of this item only their enthusiasm. Jarvis experimented on a lot of people before going public with his claims. The poster above has no motivation other than to share a miraculous change. Her symptoms sound suspiciously like a thyroid finally working. I've been low carbing for my health for the past 5 years, losing 40# was a nice side benefit but my only goal was to quit gaining weight (I didn't think weight loss was possible without hunger and exercise) I lost another 70# after being stuck for years when I started thyroid meds. Finding proper dosage is a very slow process and even 2 years later have not found my dosage so have not reaped all benefits from meds. (still hoping though)

I have been drinking Kombucha tea for the past 4 months. I can *feel* it doing something, but that may be something akin to an alcohol flush, because I haven't noticed any real differences, good or bad. It already has sour, vinegary but enjoyable undertones so adding ACV is barely noticeable. I plan on adding ACV & honey (when it gets here, won't be local, but I can't get out to look) to my Kombucha and drink that throughout the day and hope for a 30 day miracle also. Maybe even ferment the honey in the ACV (no yeast, no mead, shouldn't be alcoholic) like KT for a week or a month. Neither oxidize nor require refrigeration after opening. (3 parts ACV to 1 part honey)

Any thoughts, comments or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 05-27-2009 at 12:02 PM..
Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #580
LJB

If I try Kombucha tea, honey, acv, mixed with water, it should supplement what I am doing?

I'm going to check in for your results before I try!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aryn12205
WOE: IF/Paleo/Whole Food-Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: January '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
I've posted this in another thread already and made it's own thread but guess I really should post here also, since this thread is what started it for me.

I know nothing about biochemistry, no clue about acetic acid, gluconic acid etc. but my goal is restoring my health and Kombucha is my current focus. I'm hoping some of you more knowledgeable folks can help clarify my thoughts. The main reason I got interested in KT is I had always heard the health benefits of raw vinegar but it must have the mother and didn't realize mother was in the bottle and not something separate. Then I heard about KT and brewing with the mother, so thought I would give that a try. Expected more of a medicinal tonic, wasn't expecting it to come out like soda pop & to enjoy it SO much.

Kombucha tea (KT) vs Raw Apple cider vinegar (ACV) - makes me go hmmmm - both touted as health promoting items. Are they based on the same base for healing?? And if a KT mother can be transformed to a vinegar mother by innoculating it with ACV, why not? ACV is 5% acetic acid - KT is 1% but ACV has NO gluconic acid and they say that is the difference & the healing benefit of KT. In 1958, Dr.Jarvis touted ACV, raw honey (and kelp?) as a healing elixir. The low carb folks are pftttting ACV as useless (for them) after giving it a trial but low carb folks are using stevia etc. NOT honey. What is the healing aspect of raw honey? Gluconic acid - hmmmmmm - would raw honey & ACV give you a super potent version of KT??? or maybe just a version?? Maybe a synergy exists that is more powerful than either of the components, hmmm. Would there be a synergy with KT AND ACV AND honey all together?? I have lots of questions and this is a whole new field that I know nothing about. Unfortunately KT nor vinegar have few studies, there is no $$ motivation in either one, so there is lil research for one to access mostly anecdotal information.

Check out this (editted - my emphasis) post from aryn12205 on the low carb message board -
Apple Cider Vinegar weight loss wonder

9/2008 All this happened in a 30 day period. My MIL who was 200+ lbs lost 40 lbs & 8 inches off her waist with a tonic of Apple Cider Vinegar. She hasn't even changed her eating habits-which are rather bad usually. She claims she has energy that she has missed for over 10 years. I can see the energy, how slim she is now, the fact that she looks YOUNGER. Her skin is rosy, it used to be an ashy, splotchy color, full of wrinkles. Her previously thin hair is lustrous & getting thicker!
Her 3x daily tonic = 2tsp of Braggs Pure Unfiltered ACV (must contain "Mother"), 2 TBLS of LOCAL Honey & 8 oz of pure filtered water.
5/2009 update requested - My MIL lost 20 more lbs (total 60#) & attributes it to the ACV she takes 3x a day. Her hunger and cravings have been significantly curbed, her type 2 diabetes is completely gone, and her overall energy has improved.

Vinegar is relatively CHEAP, even the expensive stuff. (KT is cheap if you make it yourself) Jarvis and others weren't motivated by the sale of this item only their enthusiasm. Jarvis experimented on a lot of people before going public with his claims. The poster above has no motivation other than to share a miraculous change. Her symptoms sound suspiciously like a thyroid finally working. I've been low carbing for my health for the past 5 years, losing 40# was a nice side benefit but my only goal was to quit gaining weight (I didn't think weight loss was possible without hunger and exercise) I lost another 70# after being stuck for years when I started thyroid meds. Finding proper dosage is a very slow process and even 2 years later have not found my dosage so have not reaped all benefits from meds. (still hoping though)

I have been drinking Kombucha tea for the past 4 months. I can *feel* it doing something, but that may be something akin to an alcohol flush, because I haven't noticed any real differences, good or bad. It already has sour, vinegary but enjoyable undertones so adding ACV is barely noticeable. I plan on adding ACV & honey (when it gets here, won't be local, but I can't get out to look) to my Kombucha and drink that throughout the day and hope for a 30 day miracle also. Maybe even ferment the honey in the ACV (no yeast, no mead, shouldn't be alcoholic) like KT for a week or a month. Neither oxidize nor require refrigeration after opening. (3 parts ACV to 1 part honey)

Any thoughts, comments or insights would be greatly appreciated.
I can't really comment on the Kombucha since I've never heard of it, but their are claims that the ACV does indeed help improve your thyroid health. I'm thinking about trying the ACV myself again. I haven't tried it since I was pregnant.
aryn12205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:25 AM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJR72 View Post
If I try Kombucha tea, honey, acv, mixed with water, it should supplement what I am doing?

I'm going to check in for your results before I try!
I'm not feeling like it's a good idea to mix the two now after doing it. I think I way overdid the ACV (both actually). I am bad about if a lil is good, a lot is great. Not feeling like this is good idea in these quantities at all. I haven't got my honey yet, so didn't add honey. I also added several Tablespoons instead of teaspoons and feeling overdone. I'm backing off the ACV for awhile I think. I never felt this way on the KT, but now thinking it's not good idea to mix the 2 and definitely not to overdo it.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 05-28-2009 at 05:33 AM..
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #583
Senior LCF Member

words of caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Hi,

I second the concerns in MDAnderson link. I am recovering from pulpitis which is very painful and I believe it's from the ACV which I've been taking for some time.

I have severe acid wear on some of my teeth (I don't drink any carbonated or sugar drinks, no citrus juices or fruit, no coffee, no high acid foods) and the areas have gotten inflamed. I also have a canker sore inside my mouth along the gum line for teh first time since I stopped chemo several years ago.

I am convinced the culprit is the ACV, the only acid food/liquid I ingest.

So, please be careful, remember to dilute the ACV and drink lots afterwards and NEVER brush your teeth right away after drinking it. The acid softens the tooth enamel and brushing can damage it further. It is recommended to wait 2 hours after drinking ACV (even diluted) to brush teeth.
I way overdid it in just one day and could feel my teeth hurting. Not from the outside in, but the inside out. It feels kind of like when I eat too much sugar. I've been taking massive amounts of garlic oil and added calcium trying to neutralize it, but backing off for awhile.

I would suggest to not overdo it for sure.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 05-28-2009 at 06:24 AM..
Old 05-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #584
LJB

Oh, I open wide to shoot down the ACV and water. No teeth involved. LOL
Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #585
Always on, slightly off

Lora, I found that the easiest. Little bit of water, then down like a shot. Then rinse my mouth out. But I've only been doing this 24 hours!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #586
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJR72 View Post
Oh, I open wide to shoot down the ACV and water. No teeth involved. LOL
I use a straw to bypass my teeth and avoid the strong taste.
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #587
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
I drank a lot of acv growing up (straight, in salads, pickles, or olive juice) and was cavity free until age 22. Would brushing with baking soda help?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #588
LJB

Believe me, it does get to be easier. I think of ACV as a much needed supplement. Most trainers I've spoken to swear by its effectiveness in burning fat.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #589
Always on, slightly off

I'm going to give it a month and see what happens. My only mild concern is A: teeth and B: the amount of acid we are ingesting's effect on the stomach ie, ulcer?? Only a thought as I have nothing to base it on.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #590
LJB

[COLOR=#000000]Apple Cider Vinegar, that wonderful old-timers home remedy, cures more ailments than any other folk remedy -- we're convinced! From the extensive feedback we've received over the past 8 years, the reported cures from drinking Apple Cider Vinegar are numerous. They include cures for allergies (including pet, food and environmental), sinus infections, acne, high cholesterol, flu, chronic fatigue, candida, acid reflux, sore throats, contact dermatitis, arthritis, and gout. One reader reported that a shot of ACV saved him from going to the emergency room for heart pain. Apple Cider Vinegar also breaks down fat and is widely used to lose weight.

- From Apple Cider Vinegar Cures
[/COLOR]

"Eating fat and protein?Go figure!." -
Lora

Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
I just did a search for natural arthritis cures and it led me to ACV.... Did a search on ACV and it led me to LowCarbFriends : ) All roads lead to LCF!

I'm buying some of the Bragg's for my mother today. Her arthritis is getting bad. I'll suggest that she start with 2 tbsps in 8 oz. water twice per day. I'll post her results here....

I tried the Bragg's a few years ago (for weight loss) but I may have overdone it.... I kept getting headaches--and I hate the taste. I may try it again, though...maybe just once a day. I've been tired lately--and not sleeping so well.
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #592
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
I just wanted to post and thank all of you for the info on Apple Cider Vinegar.

*****TMI ALERT*****
I was having issues with constipation and was looking for anything to help, so I tried the ACV! It is working great. I love the metabolism boost as well.
*****END TMI ALERT*****
Currently I am using 2 tbsp of Braggs in 8 oz of water with a packet of stevia in the morning followed by 16 oz of water.

Also I have been using the EVCO for cooking and LOVE it! I use it so much that I ordered a gallon of from Netrition! Because I live in Florida, mine is liquidified and I put in a bottle for drizzling. The flavor on meats and veggies is great. I don't know if I have noticed any health benefits like weight loss, appetite suppressant but it tastes good and it is good for you, so that is good enough for me!

Thanks to all of you for all the great information!

Robyn
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #593
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
For some reason ACV helps my candida issues, so I take it twice a day in cold green tea (I keep a jug of green tea in my fridge) and I sweeten with a little stevia or now that I don't do artificial sweeteners, I just drink it like that. Rinse after with water, and I'm good to go!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #594
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I just bought the Bragg's book about ACV and all the benefits. I am not too keen on their vegetarianism though.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #595
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rebecca130
Stats: 201/ 183/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Jan 23, 2008
I didn't know there was an ACV book. Where did u get it and what is the title/author? Thank you!!! I may get it!
Rebecca130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monica64
Stats: 182/110/95 5'0" as of 11/23/13
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: November 13, 2006
I have had the Braggs in the fridge for a few months, I started taking it again this morning, but i didn't measure..I may have taken too much, but i mixed it with water and drank it with a straw, then rinsed out my mouth. I felt energized a couple of minutes later. The health benefits are great, that is why i am taking it again.
monica64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #597
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
save
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #598
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca130 View Post
I didn't know there was an ACV book. Where did u get it and what is the title/author? Thank you!!! I may get it!
I got it at my local book store but here is the link to the jungle place
Amazon.com: Apple Cider Vinegar, 56th Edition: Miracle...Amazon.com: Apple Cider Vinegar, 56th Edition: Miracle...
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #599
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 7littleangels
Stats: 220/220/140
WOE: Atkins '72/ Healthy eating for life
Start Date: 6/12/2014
I did not read the thread( as it is older and long) but I use the following concoction for Candida and Thyroid issues.

32 ounces water
5 drops Kelp ( thyroid issues)
2 packs Stevia
4 large squirts lemon Juice
2 tablespoons ACV
2 droppers Irish Moss

Adding the Kelp helped my extreme fatigue.

I do this once a day and the second one of the day I omit the Kelp and Irish Moss.

Jeanie
7littleangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #600
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustJessie
Stats: ?/163.5/135 (5'0"/39 yo)
Start Date: 01/27/2014
subscribe
JustJessie is offline   Reply With Quote