Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #541
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lady View Post
Definantly has helped with constipation for me and my daughter. That's what we use it for mainly.
Thank you Texas. How and when (before, after meals, on empty stomach, etc)?
Does it seem to stimulate the bowel/intestines (i.e. more movesment)?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeweeaka
Stats: 235/215/135
WOE: Low Carb! Alternate Day!
Start Date: March 2008! January '09 Restart!
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
Thank you Texas. How and when (before, after meals, on empty stomach, etc)?
Does it seem to stimulate the bowel/intestines (i.e. more movesment)?
I personally take it beforemeals... It does help stimulate bowel movements... It also helps with insulin levels...as with another host of issues...

I take 1/2 to 1 cup of warm water, add 1 T. ACV, add pinch of soda, stir and drink with a straw. I usually have this twice a day, some people have it 3 times a day... It definitely helps with my appetite as well!

Good luck...
'
TJ
skeeweeaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Champagne301
Stats: (All time high 319) 287/280/150 5'7"
WOE: LC Contemplating VSG
Start Date: One too many starts
Subscribing...
Champagne301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silverleaf
Stats: 256/246/155
WOE: atkins
Start Date: august 24, 2011
bump
silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emmyjane
Stats: 180/143/135 5'-6.5"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/4/09
Interesting articles re: ACL. Be aware, they do say there are some risks:
Apple Cider Vinegar

CIMER - M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

Last edited by emmyjane; 02-07-2009 at 07:24 AM..
emmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #546
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hi,

I second the concerns in MDAnderson link. I am recovering from pulpitis which is very painful and I believe it's from the ACV which I've been taking for some time.

I have severe acid wear on some of my teeth (I don't drink any carbonated or sugar drinks, no citrus juices or fruit, no coffee, no high acid foods) and the areas have gotten inflamed. I also have a canker sore inside my mouth along the gum line for teh first time since I stopped chemo several years ago.

I am convinced the culprit is the ACV, the only acid food/liquid I ingest.

So, please be careful, remember to dilute the ACV and drink lots afterwards and NEVER brush your teeth right away after drinking it. The acid softens the tooth enamel and brushing can damage it further. It is recommended to wait 2 hours after drinking ACV (even diluted) to brush teeth.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #547
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
What is the science behind this?

Why would one particular food type item spur a greater weight loss if you ingest it?

Thanks, Rosie
CRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #548
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
The follow up studies about vinegar and blood sugar did NOT come up with anything impressive.

The decreases reported even in the WebMD study of only 11 people were so small they could be caused by natural variation in meter readings.

Occasionally I run into someone who finds that vinegar helps with their blood sugar, but many others, self included, do not.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #549
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Hi,

I second the concerns in MDAnderson link. I am recovering from pulpitis which is very painful and I believe it's from the ACV which I've been taking for some time.

I have severe acid wear on some of my teeth (I don't drink any carbonated or sugar drinks, no citrus juices or fruit, no coffee, no high acid foods) and the areas have gotten inflamed. I also have a canker sore inside my mouth along the gum line for teh first time since I stopped chemo several years ago.

I am convinced the culprit is the ACV, the only acid food/liquid I ingest.

So, please be careful, remember to dilute the ACV and drink lots afterwards and NEVER brush your teeth right away after drinking it. The acid softens the tooth enamel and brushing can damage it further. It is recommended to wait 2 hours after drinking ACV (even diluted) to brush teeth.

So sorry to hear about the pulpitis-I have heard that is very painful. Don't you follow your Meat & Egg Protein Fast most of the time? Those foods are very acidic.

Detailed Listing of Acid / Alkaline Forming Foods
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #550
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Mandy
WOE: Atkins maintenance and intermittent fasting
Start Date: April 1999
I love ACV as a hair rinse. It has the same PH balance as hair and works wonderful as a conditioner.

Natural Hair Care Product
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
So sorry to hear about the pulpitis-I have heard that is very painful. Don't you follow your Meat & Egg Protein Fast most of the time? Those foods are very acidic.
Yes, pulpitis is extremely painful. Unfortunately, ACV is responsible for mine.

Acid forming foods (after digestion) are not the same as acidic foods on tooth enamel.

According to the list you provided, citrus juice which is highly acidic to tooth enamel is actually an alkaline forming food.

So, eggs and protein do not have the same effect on topical tooth enamel. ACV softens the tooth enamel and wears it down.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #552

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Yes, pulpitis is extremely painful. Unfortunately, ACV is responsible for mine.

Acid forming foods (after digestion) are not the same as acidic foods on tooth enamel.

According to the list you provided, citrus juice which is highly acidic to tooth enamel is actually an alkaline forming food.

So, eggs and protein do not have the same effect on topical tooth enamel. ACV softens the tooth enamel and wears it down.

Will they be able to save your teeth? This sounds expensive as well as very painful. Hope everything works out ok.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #553

Gallery: Dreamchaser
bump
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #554
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wwall
Racing Heart with Apple Cider Vinegar

Hi Marlee,

I'm responding to your post about a racing heart after
drinking apple cider vinegar on 10-11-2008. Yes I have
the same problem! I don't know if anyone out there has
responded with some kind of solution. I really like how it
calms my runny nose due to allergies and colds, but I have
to limit how much I can take. Usually only a fraction of a
teaspoon.

One thing that does help a little bit is to mix it with
sodium bicarbonate to neutralize the acid. My bowel
seems to be a bit sensitive to the acid. It does not
help that much, but only a bit at least.

I hope that helps you (a bit anyway).

So long,
Bill
wwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shell91320
WOE: Induction/dreaming of OWL
Start Date: Nov 2004
I find that it seems to cause me to lose more water too, but Atkins already helps us lose water, so is that a good idea? I just wonder if it messes with your electrolytes or potassium if you lose to much water. I feal weak when I'm losing "too much" water. Does anyone do anything to counteract this? Also, what does everyone do to avoid problems with the ACV breaking down enamel on your teeth? I've read the posts about this, but I'm still a little confused.
THanks!
Shelley
shell91320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #556
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
bump
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #557

Gallery: fawn
Use ACV in place of dead vinegars in your salad dressings and meat marinades for benefit. It's not necessary to ingest strictly in water.

It's a functional food.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TAMYRAJEAN
Stats: 282/250/141
WOE: LC & must watch Calories
Start Date: Restart 1/05/09
I have to wonder about it's "weightloss properties". Years ago I worked in a factory in 100 degree plus temps during the summer. I sweat like a moose and had terrible muscle and leg cramps everynight do to dehydration. I could not drink enough to keep from getting dehydrated. Someone told me that ACV was loaded with potasium so I started putting it in my water jugs. No more legs cramps! I drank ACV in my water for so many years that my weight ought to be in the negative numbers! LOL I think it is good for many things but weightloss in not one of them.
TAMYRAJEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #559
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXUKGal
Stats: (Highest 353) 297/245/175 (maybe 150)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyAnn View Post
do you all refrigerate your acv with the mother or just leave it out at room temp?
I've had mine both ways. I prefer it cold but this has nothing to do with the shelf life. My understanding is that one can leave it out of the fridge.
TXUKGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aryn12205
WOE: IF/Paleo/Whole Food-Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: January '14
LOL I had no idea this thread had gotten so HUGE!
aryn12205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #561

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell91320 View Post
Also, what does everyone do to avoid problems with the ACV breaking down enamel on your teeth? I've read the posts about this, but I'm still a little confused.
THanks!
Shelley
I am wondering about the dental concern too.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #562
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I am wondering about the dental concern too.
YOU NEED TO SWISH YOUR MOUTH OUT W/ WATER AFTER YOU SWIG ACV.
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #563
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I take a tbsp or two of ACV and same amount honey and then chase it with water. It helps alot with my digestion.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #564
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
[COLOR="Indigo"]I haven't noticed any difference taking it, but I still swig 1T morning and night.[/COLOR]
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #565
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
I eat alot of vinegar. I love sour foods. I put it on my salads, brussells, cabbage, broccoli, spinach... wish i was losing faster.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #566
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
Start Date: April 4, 2004
So I just finished this whole thread and sounded like folks got tired of trying to get it down before they really had a chance to see how it worked. I had always heard the need for raw vinegar with mother but had never seen it locally. I ordered a Kombucha mother online & started brewing Kombucha in January which also has acetic acid (only 1% to ACV 5%) but it also has gluconic acid (which can break down to caprylic acid and is used in the treatment of some fungal & bacterial infections) and active yeasts which ACV doesn't. Now I'm wondering if the gluconic acid in honey is the purpose for the combination and I'm wondering if ACV will have the same health benefits without honey. I bet people think the honey is to make ACV appetizing and I'm wondering if it may not be a piece of the health benefit puzzle. I *love* Kombucha that has gone through a second ferment, which reduces sugar even further and creates the soda pop like fizz. Kombucha is a natural probiotic and has all these purported health benefits also, I haven't noticed a difference but I'm so sickly it may just take a lot more time. GT's Kombucha website claims their brew creates 80% of RDA of B vitamins (at my liter a day ingestion) but I thought I had read or misread that the vitamins were negligible in Kombucha. I'm assuming that ACV would be considered a probiotic also with the active bacteria ingested. I found Bragg's ACV on Amazon storefront with .99 shipping, so ordered 4 gallons and will also give that a try. I'm betting very few in low carb would include the honey and I won't either. I will add the ACV to my Kombucha, it shouldn't make a huge change, I crave the vinegary taste now. I drink at least a liter a day and would do more but think i'm probably over doing it now. For those wanting to neutralize the the acid in ACV, add clean, dry organic egg shells & let sit for a few days, it will boost your calcium also. I had read that you had to be careful not to use raw ACV on a Kombucha mother or it would change it into an acetic only producer, but at $15 gallon would that be a bad thing or is ACV not worth messing with at all. I'm confused and rambling, hoping someone can make sense of my rambles and clarify my thoughts because this is all things that make me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I've ordered books on ACV and guess will try it for myself.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 05-20-2009 at 01:03 PM..
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #567
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aryn12205
WOE: IF/Paleo/Whole Food-Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: January '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
So I just finished this whole thread and sounded like folks got tired of trying to get it down before they really had a chance to see how it worked. I had always heard the need for raw vinegar with mother but had never seen it locally. I ordered a Kombucha mother online & started brewing Kombucha in January which also has acetic acid (only 1% to ACV 5%) but it also has gluconic acid (which can break down to caprylic acid and is used in the treatment of some fungal & bacterial infections) and active yeasts which ACV doesn't. Now I'm wondering if the gluconic acid in honey is the purpose for the combination and I'm wondering if ACV will have the same health benefits without honey. I bet people think the honey is to make ACV appetizing and I'm wondering if it may not be a piece of the health benefit puzzle. I *love* Kombucha that has gone through a second ferment, which reduces sugar even further and creates the soda pop like fizz. Kombucha is a natural probiotic and has all these purported health benefits also, I haven't noticed a difference but I'm so sickly it may just take a lot more time. GT's Kombucha website claims their brew creates 80% of RDA of B vitamins (at my liter a day ingestion) but I thought I had read or misread that the vitamins were negligible in Kombucha. I'm assuming that ACV would be considered a probiotic also with the active bacteria ingested. I found Bragg's ACV on Amazon storefront with .99 shipping, so ordered 4 gallons and will also give that a try. I'm betting very few in low carb would include the honey and I won't either. I will add the ACV to my Kombucha, it shouldn't make a huge change, I crave the vinegary taste now. I drink at least a liter a day and would do more but think i'm probably over doing it now. For those wanting to neutralize the the acid in ACV, add clean, dry organic egg shells & let sit for a few days, it will boost your calcium also. I had read that you had to be careful not to use raw ACV on a Kombucha mother or it would change it into an acetic only producer, but at $15 gallon would that be a bad thing or is ACV not worth messing with at all. I'm confused and rambling, hoping someone can make sense of my rambles and clarify my thoughts because this is all things that make me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I've ordered books on ACV and guess will try it for myself.
ACV does have a lot of health benefits. Whether or not it aids in weightloss is up in the air, but it's believed to be a natural diuretic and metabolism booster (studies vary in agreement to this). My MIL is now downright skinny (she's lost an additional 20 lbs) and attributes it to the ACV she takes 3x a day. Her hunger and cravings have been significantly curbed, her type 2 diabetes is completely gone, and her overall energy has improved.

Just make sure to take/ingest it properly or else it can cause some serious damage to your teeth and esophagus. Dilute maybe 1 Tb in a tall glass of water or iced tea, and then rinse your mouth thoroughly with water and/or baking soda. You can also use it as a dressing like Fawn has suggested.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #568
Senior LCF Member

That is SO awesome Aryn!! She *does* use the honey/ACV combo and the low carbers aren't and I wonder if the gluconic acid in the honey is that important to the equation. Regaining my health is my main concern, not losing weight. Your testimonial to how good she looks & feels is amazing. I was concerned that possibly her diabetes was in full swing, which would account for the dramatic weight loss but she would be feeling very bad if that was so. Thank you for your insight!!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #569
Senior LCF Member

I ordered it through Amazon for $14 a gallon & .99 total order shipping

Amazon.com: Bragg - Apple Cider Vinegar, gallon, 1 liquid: The Vitamin Shoppe

ooops guess I'm not supposed to put addys here. shame i couldn't find it with search

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 05-21-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #570
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
I ordered it through Amazon for $14 a gallon & .99 total order shipping

Amazon.com: Bragg - Apple Cider Vinegar, gallon, 1 liquid: The Vitamin Shoppe

ooops guess I'm not supposed to put addys here. shame i couldn't find it with search
WOW, thank you for that link!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote