Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: duece49424
Stats: 230 start 3/16/10..lifetime goal 150
WOE: low carb/healthylifestyle - struggling with binges
Good discussion on the acv - I never heard of Eden, so when my Braggs runs out, I will see if I can find it and compare. I am on my second bottle of Braggs. My dentist told me as long as I dilute it like I am, and still drink lots of water, like I do, I should not have a problem. I am drinking 6t or 3T in a 32 oz water bottle, with stevia..sometimes add a little Chrystal Light Lemonade and/or a squeeze of fresh lemon..not bad to sip on over several hours. My personal experience is that I cannot drink it past 3 or 4 pm as I have sleep problems then...there are a few of us that experience this. Trying to get rid of the yeasties...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by duece49424 View Post
My dentist told me as long as I dilute it like I am, and still drink lots of water, like I do, I should not have a problem.
Thank you for sharing the dental information. I read the beginning of this thread then promptly placed an Internet order for Braggs vinegar and a vinegar book. I didn't realize the affect on teeth until after I placed the order, and I got worried. Your post makes me feel better about it.

Also, I've read that cola has about the same amount of acid... so if people drink cola all day, I imagine drinking vinegar is no worse.

Maria

Last edited by Maria527; 10-10-2008 at 06:48 AM..
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Maria - since I have been drinking it, I do drink through a straw...I do know that it may still hit my teeth a little, but I don't really feel like it does that much. I have been paying a little more attention to it lately. I just would not down it straight. You are right about the Coke, that is also very acidic.
duece49424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #485
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Quote:
Maria - since I have been drinking it, I do drink through a straw...I do know that it may still hit my teeth a little, but I don't really feel like it does that much. I have been paying a little more attention to it lately. I just would not down it straight. You are right about the Coke, that is also very acidic.
Ok... I'll try the straw. I should be getting my vinegar and book soon right from the Bragg company website. If I learn anything really profound from the book, I'll come back and post! I wonder if the book will address the affects on teeth.

I'll try not to stress over it. I've been dowsing my lettuce in vinegar all this time anyway (and drinking what's left in the bottom of the bowl) I'm known for drinking the pickle juice too.
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: didi
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2007
I mix my ACV with about the same amount of water, swirl it around, and drink it in one swallow. It barely touches my back teeth. Then I drink more water.

The vinegar is down quickly, I barely taste it 10 seconds later, and my teeth have no harm done. Hubby drinks it ,too. He loves vinegar.

Dianna
didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
For those who don't like the taste and have a nearby Wal-Mart, I tried the diet peach tea (generic brand) tubes in my water with the ACV and you CANNOT TASTE THE VINEGAR!! The peach flavor kills out the vinegary-bite. My daughter sucked down half of it before I told her what was in it.
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #488
Zombie Fairy Princess

Gallery: Marlee
Stats: -53
WOE: Atkins
Probably a strange question but has anyone had a racing heart beat after taking this? I took a tablespoon (straight) the first time last night just before I went to bed (yeah, not the smartest time to start it I know) and within half an hour or so my heart just started beating very fast. It wasn't the normal anxiety type thing as I'm VERY familiar with that

Just curious if it was the ACV or something else. Thanks
Marlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Honestly I haven't heard of that. You may be getting a yeast die off reaction or something.
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #490
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I went to my local Stop n'Shop on Saturday and they sell the small bottle of Bragg's for $2.99. At least I know where to go get it if I can't make it to Whole Foods!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #491

Gallery: sprinklesmom
Stats: A little less donk in the old badonkadonk
Hi Lora.

I also found Braggs at the Market Basket I shop on the North Shore. It was $3.99. (surprised that it was more than at Shaw's as they are ususally more expensive)

Thanks for the tip on Stop & Shop I'll check there sometime to see if they have it. I live right down the street from a S&S but Market Basket is so much cheaper.

sprinklesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
I get the big bottle at Whole Foods -- I go through it too fast to use the smaller bottle.
katlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #493
LJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklesmom View Post
Hi Lora.

I also found Braggs at the Market Basket I shop on the North Shore. It was $3.99. (surprised that it was more than at Shaw's as they are ususally more expensive)

Thanks for the tip on Stop & Shop I'll check there sometime to see if they have it. I live right down the street from a S&S but Market Basket is so much cheaper.

Did you go to the one in Danvers (That used to be called Demoulas) or in Middleton?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJR72 View Post
Did you go to the one in Danvers (That used to be called Demoulas) or in Middleton?

The one in Middleton in the first aisle that contains the natural/organic foods.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #495
LJB

I love that Market Basket! I guess because I love going into Bob's Stores for their sneakers when I get a chance. I found a nice pair of Nike's for about $25!

Oops! Sorry for the thread jack!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #496

Yep. I actually live closer to the Danvers MB but I prefer Middleton because it's less crowded.

Question for you - Which aisle did you find the Braggs at your Stop & Shop?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #497
LJB

It was in the Organics aisle at my Stop n'Shop in Malden. The non-perishable portion of Organics I should say. I couldn't believe it myself when I saw it up there on the shelf!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #498
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Karla1960
Stats: 160/158/120
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 02/02/2014
I just ordered acv, olive oil and amino acid from the braggs website! I can't wait to try this!
Karla1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
From the site ANSWERS. COM :Typed in Vinegar
Historically, several processes have been employed to make vinegar. In the slow, or natural, process, vats of cider are allowed to sit open at room temperature. During a period of several months, the fruit juices ferment into alcohol and then oxidize into acetic acid.

Mother of vinegar is the gooey film that appears on the surface of the alcohol product as it is converted to vinegar. It is a natural carbohydrate called cellulose. This film holds the highest concentration of acetobacters. It is skimmed off the top and added to subsequent batches of alcohol to speed the formation of vinegar.

Wooden barrels are laid on their sides. Bungholes are drilled into the top side and plugged with stoppers. Holes are also drilled into the ends of the barrels.
The alcohol is poured into the barrel via long-necked funnels inserted into the bungholes. Mother of vinegar is added at this point. The barrel is filled to a level just below the holes on the ends. Netting or screens are placed over the holes to prevent insects from getting into the barrels.
The filled barrels are allowed to sit for several months. The room temperature is kept at approximately 85°F (29°C). Samples are taken periodically by inserting a spigot into the side holes and drawing liquid off. When the alcohol has converted to vinegar, it is drawn off through the spigot. About 15% of the liquid is left in the barrel to blend with the next batch.

So if I read this right I can take my bottle with MOTHER and mix with distilled and make my own...??
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #500

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by tybeeanna View Post
So if I read this right I can take my bottle with MOTHER and mix with distilled and make my own...??
well i had some distilled ACV left over and added about an oz of my braggs to it left it about a week and it seemed to grow.. i used it just like my braggs.....boy sure would help on money if it can work!!!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #501

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria40nc View Post
Thank you for sharing the dental information. I read the beginning of this thread then promptly placed an Internet order for Braggs vinegar and a vinegar book. I didn't realize the affect on teeth until after I placed the order, and I got worried. Your post makes me feel better about it.

Also, I've read that cola has about the same amount of acid... so if people drink cola all day, I imagine drinking vinegar is no worse.

Maria
The difference though between the coke and ACV? The Phosphoric Acid competes with calcium balance. And, ACV leaves an alkaline ash like lemons....

Quote:
Quote:
How to Make Vinegar

Making vinegar is so easy it can be done by accident. We could even say that most of it is made without our cooperation or awareness. Making good vinegar, consistantly, is another story. That requires a little effort. But the effort pays well.

Vinegar can be made from almost anything which contains sugar or starch. It is made from many different things; fruits, grains, roots even wood.

It can be made directly from sugar but is best made by first converting the sugar into alcohol and then turning the alcohol into vinegar. The conversion from starch is a little trickier, but the process shares a lot of similarities.

There are many ways to make vinegar and many of them are covered in our fun easy to read reference book on the subject. But for now let's stick to the very simplest way possible.

To make vinegar the simplest way you need to find yourself;

A container with a spout .(e.g. a sun tea jar) The spout is not mandatory but it sure makes things easier. The container should also have a wide mouth to let in air as well as a way to keep out flies. (Air is very important!) You will be visited by vinegar flies! They are my assistants. The container should be glass or stainless steel for best results. Aluminum and iron is definately out. Some plastics can work, some are dangerous because they react with vinegar. So, for now, I would skip plastics.

Some fresh fruit juice. (Even the frozen variey will do. But I would stay away from the bottled ones because they add chemicals to keep the juice from turning to vinegar. (See how easy it is to make vinegar.)

A starter culture. Notice I said "starter culture". Don't make a big deal about getting a "mother", it will probably ruin otherwise good vinegar. What you need are the bacteria which make vinegar. Check the home brew stores or pick up a bottle of unpasturized, unfiltered vinegar. I have had great success with Braggs Apple cider vinegar. The vinegar in the culture keeps out the other molds and bacteria until the vinegar bacteria have had a chance to take firm control of the juice.

A dark place. You could also paint your jar or cover it . The object is to keep out the light. Light will slow the vinegar production or even kill your culture.

A warm place. The precise temperature is not so critical but it does make a difference on how fast your vinegar is made. If you feel comfortable at that temperature, most likely the vinegar bacteria will be happy also.

OK, we have a vinegar culture, a container to put it in, some food for it and lot's of warm air available to it.

Pour about one quart of the starter into the container.

Pour about the same amount of juice into the container.

Put the mix into a warm dark place.

Keep checking it until it is as strong as you like it or it seems to be losing strength.

Bottle it in small bottles.

Leave it for at least six months before using. (You could use it right away but, this will make it smoother)

Once you have got the hang of it, you might want to try making some real special vinegar.

Last edited by fawn; 10-13-2008 at 03:18 PM..
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by tybeeanna View Post
I don't know if that would work--the way that the mother works is that it stays alive by converting alcohol (which is itself a product of fermentation) to acetic acid. I make vinegar by taking (cheap) bottles of wine that taste not-that-good, pouring them in a mason jar, covering with cheesecloth, and leaving in a dark place for several weeks. The mother grows, and tada, live vinegar. I'm fairly certain the same thing could be done with actual apple cider and mother, however.

Hope that helps.

ETA: The yeasts in the vinegar mother are still alive, they're just not actively converting to vinegar unless they have something to eat, and there's no alcohol in pasteurized vinegar, and I see Fawn posted instructions above!

Last edited by oyvey; 10-13-2008 at 04:13 PM..
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #503
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
I have read most of this thread but I still have a couple of questions:

1. Is the daily dose 1 TABLESPOON, three times a day?

2. Do you take this on an empty or full stomach?

3. Can you take it as a shot? It's totally disgusting but I think I can do it.

4. Does anyone know if this would interfere the supplement 5 htp?

Thanks!
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

I Lil - Don't know if there is a right or wrong way to take acv, but this is what I do...I take 3 T, sip over a few hours, put it in some watered down Crystal Light Lemonade and a little stevia or splenda. That way I don't have to make 3 different drinks during the day - too busy. Tastes pretty good...give me energy, so I personally can't drink it past 3 pm or I can't get to sleep. I eat breakfast about 8:30 am, and start the acv about 9 and sip until noon. You can take it as a shot, but for some people it is hard on the enamel on your teeth. I have oked this with my dentist and I use a straw. I don't know about the 5 htp. Hope this helps a little. Also watch the brand you buy to make sure it has the mother.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #505
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
I'm hooked. I actually have come to prefer ACV water over plain.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
bump

bump
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #507
Senior LCF Member

I'm hooked too! I was out of acv on Saturday and couldn't get to the health food store until Sunday...I ran in there as soon as they opened...I bought 2 - 32 oz bottles and they were on sale for $2.50 (Braggs). They had another brand and would like to try and compare sometime. I feel like my day doesn't start unless I have it...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #508
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Donna View Post
I have read most of this thread but I still have a couple of questions:

1. Is the daily dose 1 TABLESPOON, three times a day?

2. Do you take this on an empty or full stomach?

3. Can you take it as a shot? It's totally disgusting but I think I can do it.

4. Does anyone know if this would interfere the supplement 5 htp?

Thanks!
I take 5 htp and it doesn't interfere. I've even been drinking it in hot tea at night (fighting a cold and it breaks apart the congestion) and it hasn't interfered with my sleep because I take GABA and 5 HTP at night. This is the first time I've had ACV when fighting a cold and I can say that the illness is moving through me much quicker. This is great news for me since I have an angry immune system.
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #509
LJB

I haven't had a cold yet. I never thought of placing it into hot tea.

Thanks, Anniemo.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #510
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Quote:
I'm hooked too! I was out of acv on Saturday and couldn't get to the health food store until Sunday...I ran in there as soon as they opened...I bought 2 - 32 oz bottles and they were on sale for $2.50 (Braggs). They had another brand and would like to try and compare sometime. I feel like my day doesn't start unless I have it...
On the one hand I am lucky that I can get it at our local grocery store (we have only one, and I was shocked that they have it) but on the other hand, they only carry the small bottles at $3.89 ea.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote