Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spieran
pgx

I have found it very interesting to see all of your posts. It is disappointing to hear that some have not had success due to problems with bloating etc. The naturopath I was seeing had mentioned this product to me a few months ago, with lowering blood sugar and reducing weight being a primary reason. For the first month I took the product sporadically. I didn't necessarily notice any advantages, but then didn't notice problems with bloating either. The second month I decided to get serious and started taking it regularly, increasing from 2 prior to meals, up to now a month later I am up to 6 before meals. I still have been lucky enough to not have problems with bloating and elimination issues. Perhaps because I have struggled for several years with IBS type symptoms, my colon is finally appreciating some substance being provided! Anyways. I have noticed a drop in 1 clothing size and a loss of about 9 lbs in the last month. I have committed to taking it religiously for at least 3 months, so that I can feel I have given it a good effort. The cost is prohibitive, but the results so far have been worthwhile. Not only has my weight decreased, but my blood sugar has been more consistently normal and that is a big leap from how I have been. I have also been considering the glycemic index of foods and trying to pair the pgx with lower GI and GL foods. That is not to say that I haven't broken down and eaten things I shouldn't have....that's life... but it does seem to lower the GI of these 'cheat' foods. I think I may start doing a food journal as well..time to get more self reflective. Good luck to all others in this fight to get and stay healthy.

Lana
Spieran is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: itsme10177
PGX and RNY???

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board, and came to it through the thread for PGX......

I bought the PGX Daily the other day, and read the booklet that came with it. And finally on the back page, in small writing it said if you have had any gastrointestinal surgeries contact your Doc....well, I did, and he was not sure, had never heard about it....I have spent all day looking, and can find no other mention to the surgeries!! ANYWHERE!!!

So my question is, has anyone heard about the effects of PGX on people that have had Gastric Bypass surgery???

Thanks!!!!
itsme10177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I wouldn't touch it with an RNY-"the Sodium Alginate is made from brown alge and is know at this time to be a compound that will not only expand and form a gel in the gut but also absorb enzymes and hold them." You don't know how much this will expand in an altered digestive tract and cause blockages or other problems. Not for me.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oobladee
Stats: Top BMI: 37; Currently: 30-31
WOE: Moderate fat & cals/hi protein/low carb
Start Date: March 2006
Glycogen is a polysaccharide that is found in animals and is composed of a branched chain of glucose residues. It is stored in liver and muscles.

But whatever works for you guys! I use psyllium and it works very much like this. Can't say i lost weight, but i am regular.
oobladee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I wouldn't touch it with an RNY-"the Sodium Alginate is made from brown alge and is know at this time to be a compound that will not only expand and form a gel in the gut but also absorb enzymes and hold them." You don't know how much this will expand in an altered digestive tract and cause blockages or other problems. Not for me.
I agree.
Even for those of us who have not had surgery, if we have slow gastric emptying, the PGX can cause problems. I had to quit taking it because it acted like cement in the my system. I was truly concerned about obstruction.

I would definitely caution any post-surgery patient not to mess with it.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #96

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
I have a bottle if someone wants it.
Confirmed: NOT FOR ONE WITH IBS..
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieCat0817 View Post
I have a bottle if someone wants it.
Confirmed: NOT FOR ONE WITH IBS..
I'll take it if no one else beat me to it :-)
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #98

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
You have a PM<!
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #99
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
I have been meaning to post this article that came out last month on our local station.

Weight Loss Wednesday: Fiber pill could be weight loss wonder drug

11:31 AM CST on Thursday, November 13, 2008

Meg Farris / Eyewitness News Medical Reporter

It was a natural plant product that doctors were using to help control blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes. But there was a good side effect, many of the people lost weight.
So after years of studies, some doctors say they have found a supplement that will improve your health and control your appetite.
It's not a diet pill, nor is this just another new diet book. Now some researchers say they have found a way to balance your body and brain so you can lose weight and stay thin naturally and easily.
"I went on this program to see what people might experience almost four and half years ago. I weighed 206 when I started. At the end of 30 days I weighed 188 pounds. I lost 18 pounds in one month and it was effortless," says Dr. Michael Murray, a naturopathic physician from Phoenix.
Dr. Murray is known as one of the world's leading authorities on natural medicine. He says his research and research at the University of Toronto and the Canadian Center for Functional Medicine is uncovering a way to keep your body and brain from making you fat. That's because even though you may want to lose weight, your brain wants you to gain even more weight.
"Deprivation doesn't work. The National Institutes of Health analyzed diets and they found that 94 percent of people that go on a diet at the end of 5 years end up weighting more," adds Dr. Murray.

So behavior change and willpower do not work long term because the primal, survival centers of the brain are calling out for you to quickly eat the wrong types of food at the wrong times. That causes the weight problem. Doctors say you need your brain on your side or you'll eventually fail.
"We have to fool our body and our brain into thinking that you've eaten enough and if you're able to do that then you've hit the magic button," he says.
Here's what's happening. The way we are eating, especially the white, sugary and processed foods, are causing our blood sugar levels to go up and down like a roller coaster. That causes the appetite centers in the brain to demand that we eat. So if those chemicals are being released saying 'eat, eat, eat' is it hard for you to not eat?
"It's impossible! It's like if I ask people to hold their breath some people may be able to hold their breath longer than others but eventually everybody's going to breath. You can't commit suicide by holding your breath," says Dr. Murray.
And to make matters worse it's not only your blood sugar, but that fat already around your mid-section releases hormones that make you eat more, causes cravings, and store fat more easily. Also the insulin doesn't work well to get the sugar out of your blood and that makes you want to eat even more.
"The physiology of obesity is beautiful. Nature built in a system so that we would over consume when food was plentiful, he says.
So the doctors say they have found something that can fool the body and brain into thinking that you've eaten enough. It's a plant fiber called Konjac-mannan. They have put it in the PGX daily soft gels and Slim Styles powder mix with PGX. When mixed with water the liquid gets extremely thick. They say this fiber can bind 600 to 1000 times its weight in water, more than any other fiber. And taken before every meal with lots of water, it will immediately tell your brain that you're full and satisfied, slow down digestion so you're satisfied longer. It also keeps your blood sugar level more steady and under control lowering your appetite and it makes your insulin work better as well as makes even sugary foods digest slowly. And it lowers cholesterol.
"We estimate that 5 grams of PGX is equal to about anywhere from 25 -100 grams of other fibers," says Dr. Murray.
Two capsules is like eating 3 bowls of oatmeal but with zero calories. All the other doctors we spoke with say adding fiber in general to the diet is good.
"We know that when you increase fiber to 36 grams in the body it's associated with reducing hypertension, reducing cholesterol, reducing diabetes and if you're using soluble fiber increasing satiety. So yes, the product Konjac Root is associated with weight loss," says Dr. Henri Roca, who is with the LSU Health Sciences Center Department of Family and Integrative Medicine.
"I think it's okay to use. Again as always it's a behavioral modification. You have to change many things in your life along with diet and exercise and if this is one thing that helps you get to where you need to go then I'm all for it. Absolutely," says Dr. Kim Edward LeBlanc, Chairman of the LSU Health Sciences Center's Department of Family Medicine.
Weight loss researcher Dr. Melinda Sothern combed through the science and says studies show fiber, especially combined with lean protein, helps with weight loss, but she doesn't see evidence yet that this one is better than eating other fiber.
"It's the cholesterol benefits would be the reason to take this fiber supplement. But there's not weight loss benefits over and above what a low carbohydrate, high fiber diet with quality protein would give you," says Dr. Sothern of the LSU Health Sciences Center's School of Public Health.
But the doctors say the fiber supplement with the program in their book is helping 100 percent of the people in their clinical studies lose weight. Fitness expert Mackie Shilstone says follow the program carefully.
"You have to consult with your doctor. You have to start out slow because a typical side effect of a higher incidence of fiber is gas or bloating, a little bit of indigestion and so he even says in the book to be careful and work up to a level of fiber you're comfortable with," says Shilstone of East Jefferson General Hospital.
Dr. Murray says they've had success with people who needed to lose 5 pounds and those who needed to loose 500.
"It's the holy grail of weight loss," says Dr. Murray.
So why aren't doctors and people embracing this everywhere since it sounds so easy?
"They are, they are, they really are. PGX is being studied at some of the major university and research centers in the world," he adds.
Dr. Murray says we are a nation of yo-yo dieters and that's only making the problem worse because up until now no one has addressed the underlying cause.
In one study, this fiber was put in biscuits and helped lower blood sugar and cholesterol in people with pre-diabetes. Also, this fiber could interfere with absorption of your medication or medicines, so check with your doctor. Doctors advise to any prescription medication take one hour before or one hour after taking the fiber so you medicine will absorb properly.
(For more on PGX and the "Hunger Free Forever" book and plan go to "Links on 4" on the home page)
(Editor's Note: Dr. Michael Murray has been compensated for work done with one of

Last edited by KOO; 12-15-2008 at 06:57 AM..
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Koo!

I respect Mr. Murray quite a bit and I know this works, however, for me, it had the nasty side effect of becoming a brick in my colon and literally stopped my elimination process for days, even though I drank LOTS of water and only took small doses.

I know for some it WILL be "the Holy Grail" of weight loss, but for me, I didn't get the positive effect since I was completely stopped up.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stuffed
Started PGX (pill form) 6 months ago on Doctors recommendation just to try it.
Used it by the Book and lots of water too as usual I drink at least one gallon a day and always have.
Great results three days in and noticed a calming feeling hard to describe as I thought I was always calm not bothered by much in life. Easy going hard working.
By the second week started to go to sleep at normal times 11:00PM instead of 4AM . Always up by 9:30AM no matter what.
Hunger diminished less coffee breaks less cookie monster attacks between meals just what a Doctor would like to see. Weight loss, not a pound. Have actually gone up 10 pounds. now sitting firm at 298LBs and a little depressed.
Metamucil now my best friend.
Have been an abstainer for three months now. Flush with relief.
One day before I die maybe some one will find a cure but this seems not for me. BUT IT May be the Cure for You.

Have tried too many diets over my life hate most garden food; if it doesn't go Moo I don't like it. Only eat the Happy ones. Love the smell of neighbors BBQ smoke and can gain weight just by breathing it in.
I'm very active when weather is good. People say "man for a guy your size you sure can move". after watching me cut two lawns in half the time of other neighbors. If you want a job done you have to move. If you want to keep healthy you have to move even if you have to force yourself at times.

Never thought I would be old enough that a a good ____ in the morning would be a high point and put a smile on my face.
Brings back historical memories from a book about the little train that could.

Keep Smiling and have one good laugh; its good for the heart.

Just my experience so far.
Stuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #102
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: DeliGirl
Stats: -25 from restart (-80 from highest ever)
WOE: Lean for Life
Start Date: May 26, 2010
just subscribing
DeliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #103
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

is anyone still taking this?

I just started on Monday with 2 before each meal and haven't had any weird gas, constipation, bloating or any bad side effects. I did notice that it really helps with my appetite and I'm not constantly thinking about food like I normally do. I take it about 20 minutes before my meals with a huge glass of water.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliGirl View Post

I just started on Monday with 2 before each meal and haven't had any weird gas, constipation, bloating or any bad side effects. I did notice that it really helps with my appetite and I'm not constantly thinking about food like I normally do. I take it about 20 minutes before my meals with a huge glass of water.
I hope the best for you! Some people have had really great experiences with it, however, as I wrote above, it turns to cement in my insides, prolly because I have delayed gastric emptying from Diabetes.

I hope it works well for you! Please keep us posted!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heaven9766
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliGirl View Post

I just started on Monday with 2 before each meal and haven't had any weird gas, constipation, bloating or any bad side effects. I did notice that it really helps with my appetite and I'm not constantly thinking about food like I normally do. I take it about 20 minutes before my meals with a huge glass of
water.

I just started on it last Sunday. PGX Daily that is. I love it. It's so strange not to have food cravings, and feel so full, I don't even crave chocolate! I am taking two before each meal, and I've lost 5 pounds since Sunday. I'm really excited to see how this goes. Please let me know how you are doing.
heaven9766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #106
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hi Heaven

I'm still taking it too. I haven't been plugged up or anything, but I've been making extra sure to drink lots of water. I still take 2 before each meal, with the exception of dinner. I take 3 because most of my snacking was in the evening.

I don't know if I've lost weight because I'm not weighing myself, but as long as I'm not starving and wanting to eat everything in sight, I'm good
Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heaven9766
Hi DeliGirl,
I'm not having any problems with being backed up either and also making sure I drink lots and lots of water. I was also thinking today of increasing in the evening to three because I also tend to be more hungry at night. I'm so thankful to have found this product. I've never had this kind of control with my eating ever. Aside from what the scale says I feel lighter and my clothes are more loose. I'm so excited to see what takes place over the next few weeks.
Best wishes and best of luck to you. Keep me posted on your progress!
heaven9766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Ordered mine. Hope it is here soon .
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #109
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

just an update....

I'm not taking them before every meal now. I'm still not through my first bottle, but I'm not having hunger/craving problems now so I figure, why bother with the pills. I did take 2 the other day when I was feeling super snacky and they did help me get through it.

I probably won't get another bottle though. I can find a better way to spend the $25.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shrnkn
Wonderful probiotic fibre pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Hey guys!

Any of y'all that are trying PGX, can you give us some feedback?

~~~How long have you been taking it?

~~~How many a day?

~~~Is it working?

~~~Any side effects?

Thanks!~

I have been on
PGX (short for polyglycoplex) on the suggestion of my dietitian. She returned from a conference in Vancouver recently and raved about the possibilities of this fiber pill, not only to keep you full, but also to regulate insulin, decrease chlesterol and induce weigth loss. All naturally. She weighed me and I am clinically obese as per my BMI. As per her instructions, I am taking 6 pills 1/2 hour before a meal. My appetite is reduced. My carb craving is reduced and I have lost 16 lbs in a month and a half. And that's without exercise because I have a broken rib! Finally a pre-biotic that is gentle on your system that blocks carbs and fat and re-normalizes insulin in insulin resistive people. No more blood sugar lows in the middle of the afternoon. I am totally satisfied and plan to continue to use this product. Especially since it has over 10 years of studies through the University of Toronto Canada. The key is to start small and gradually increase so you don't get the bloating with a quick uptake of fibre.
Stimulant and chemical free, it can be purchased at health food stores. If you're hungry and its not time to eat, take four of these pills for a feeling of satiation. Drink lots of water with each pill and in 60-90 minutes , you will feel full. I'm an RN and just dont put anything in my body. It has to have sound research and be natural.
shrnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
I need to start taking it again, the things I have read about it sound good. I am not having so many cravings or appetite since starting low carb, so I forget to take it. I did take it the other night when I went out to eat, did low carb but knew I would overeat. I have heard it keeps blood glucose more stable, also. I just need to remember to do the vitamins in the am, the PGX later.
lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pixiechick
Stats: 193/183/150 5'3" age 52
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov.1999 Re-Induct April 20th, 2009
I buy them at Walmart in Canada for 18.99 btl. So far they are working as they are supposed to. I'll buy them again.
pixiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCPisces
I have PGX granules. I like them. I forgot I had them for a while, and just started up again a couple days ago. I like the bulk, and I like how they get rid of my hunger/cravings.
LCPisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #114
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: missionlady
WOE: low carb and portion control
Start Date: March 2010
I started using Webber's PGX purchased from Costco 1.5 weeks ago because found out my blood sugars were double what they should be. Started with 1 before each meal and after one week went to two before each meal. BS has come down to normal levels in this period of time. I also started eating lowcarb so feel it is a combination. What is nice about them is you stay regular, before I had a constipation issue whenever I reduced my eating. They help you feel satisfied sooner so naturally want less to eat. Working for me and several others I know. No side effects that I can feel or see.

Last edited by missionlady; 03-14-2010 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling
missionlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shebasmudder
Stats: 230/207/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/15/14
I wish I had read this BEFORE I ordered CLA/GLA. It costs about the same, too. I really need an appetite suppressant, plus I am diabetic.
shebasmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:40 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Insulin Resistance & PGX w/Mulberry

Just wanted to post about my experience with "PGX with Mulberry". I tried the regular kind a couple of years ago and didn't have any real weight-loss success, but the mulberry has really been working for me. Slowly, yes, but working!! It is keeping my blood sugars more stable and I'm losing about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week with it. Taking 3 capsules with lots of water before lunch and dinner. Started out with 1 cap and gradually increased my dose after 2 seemed to stop filling me up. PLUS, I've had the dark skin ring around my neck for years, (can't remember the medical term - something nigans?), which is typical with Insulin Resistance, and it is totally gone!! I am so happy with this product and just wanted to share with anyone who may be battling Insulin Resistance and weight gain! Research mulberry on your own and see what it says - the pluses outweight the minuses in my book! If anyone else is using this, I'd love to hear about your results!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 188.6/187.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 10/19/13
Hi, just seeing if anyone was still using this and if you still liked it? The most recent posters...I know some of the first ones did not for various reasons. Thanks!
ncgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neapolita
Stats: 239/166/139, 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb - Very Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl37 View Post
Hi, just seeing if anyone was still using this and if you still liked it? The most recent posters...I know some of the first ones did not for various reasons. Thanks!
I just started taking PGX Slimstyles yesterday. It's got an odd texture. I take the granules that you add to water or soup/yogurt. I noticed some appetite suppression yesterday. I hope that continues. I'll post an update once I've taken it for about a week -- if I can get past the texture to keep taking it.
Neapolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 188.6/187.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 10/19/13
Do the granules dissolve well?
ncgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neapolita
Stats: 239/166/139, 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb - Very Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl37 View Post
Do the granules dissolve well?
No, they don't really dissolve. They become suspended in liquid and are jelly like. Mixed in yogurt, they become tapioca like.
Neapolita is offline   Reply With Quote