Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: denese3t
Stats: 194/120(1st atkins) 180-143-140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 02/12 (1000th re-start)
My hair is verry kinky and dry and breaks easy . Also falls out in handfuls. After taking Biotin about a month it stopped falling out!!! I ran out and forgot all about it. after 3 weeks of not taking it my hair started falling out agan. Needless to say i ran out and bought more.
denese3t is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2007, 04:43 AM   #212
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I have to keep taking it also... I think it is because I have such a vitamin deficiency It is a very inexpensive vitamin however. I got a one year supply for about $15.00. When I stop taking it for awhile my scalp starts itching and it starts dropping out again.. Biotin is one vitamin that I NEVER forget to take!! My hair is my thing. Its the only thing people comment on.

Hope everyone is doing okay!!

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FatKat184
Stats: 160/152/140
WOE: low carb
Cheri,

Yes, your hair is out-of-this-world gorgeous! BUT I suspect that your hair is not the ONLY thing that makes people comment. How about your radiant smile, beautiful eyes, and warm generous kind personality.

Hope everyone is having a happy happy and merry merry day!
FatKat184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~mina~
ditto to cheri

I highly doubt it's the only thing they comment on youre very pretty.. and I can tell from your posts that you genuinely care about people so youre pretty on the inside too I dont usually post about these things.. but wanted you to know someone who doesnt know you well noticed

ontopic:

Im taking my biotin 2000mcg in the AM.. love it. ive noticed a difference in my hair.. thicker, better color (? is this possible) and stronger. I have hair passed my waist and it gets caught on things sometimes if I wear it down, so strength is important to me. I also dont notice a dry scalp like I used to have.

haha .. oh the Christmas Story movie is on right now and the little boy just got into his snowsuit

[COLOR=Magenta]Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
[/COLOR]
~mina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Andrea78
Hi everybody!

After having my second child three months ago, my hair also started falling out by the GLOBFULS!! It also happened after the birth of my first child. My hair is usually dry, brittle, thin on the ends and split-endy. The only time my hair is ever full, long, shiny and healthy has been DURING my pregnancies. I have always wanted to grow my hair out really long but it would always stop growing or break off once it got a little past my shoulders. I am just sick of my hair falling out all the time by the handfuls, its everywhere. I found this thread and I am so glad I did. Thank you to everyone for this wonderful information. I have gotten the hair, skin and nails vitamins at Walmart with 3000 mcg of biotin, vitamin C and all that good stuff and just started it today. I ordered that Jasons shampoo and conditioner from GNC online you are all raving about and can't wait for it to get here so I can try it!! GNC had a good package deal, two for 9.99. I also have brittle, weak nails that break and split alot. Hopefully this will help!!!

I will be sure to come back and let you all know if I get good results or not!! But judging from all of your good results, I bet mine will be just as good!
Andrea78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea78 View Post
Hi everybody!

After having my second child three months ago, my hair also started falling out by the GLOBFULS!! It also happened after the birth of my first child. My hair is usually dry, brittle, thin on the ends and split-endy. The only time my hair is ever full, long, shiny and healthy has been DURING my pregnancies. I have always wanted to grow my hair out really long but it would always stop growing or break off once it got a little past my shoulders. I am just sick of my hair falling out all the time by the handfuls, its everywhere. I found this thread and I am so glad I did. Thank you to everyone for this wonderful information. I have gotten the hair, skin and nails vitamins at Walmart with 3000 mcg of biotin, vitamin C and all that good stuff and just started it today. I ordered that Jasons shampoo and conditioner from GNC online you are all raving about and can't wait for it to get here so I can try it!! GNC had a good package deal, two for 9.99. I also have brittle, weak nails that break and split alot. Hopefully this will help!!!

I will be sure to come back and let you all know if I get good results or not!! But judging from all of your good results, I bet mine will be just as good!
Andrea,

The biotin at 5mg (5,000 mcg) a day is the ticket! Just know that it might take a while (1-3 months) before you start seeing a difference, so be patient and don't give up.

I started on the biotin after I read this thread (and some other stuff to help with hormone imbalance). It's been a little over a month and I see excellent results in the amount of loss as well as the health of my hair.

It's a very distressing problem but I really believe the suggestions on this thread are a big part of the fixin' solution.

Last edited by FatKat184; 01-02-2008 at 07:51 AM..
Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanny2Kara
Stats: 162/142/130ish
Start Date: June 16,2007
I have a bottle of GNC Biotin 300 its 300mcg .

I am confused as to how many I need to take.

Thanks!!
Nanny2Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny2Kara View Post
I have a bottle of GNC Biotin 300 its 300mcg .

I am confused as to how many I need to take.

Thanks!!
Well, I'm terribly math challenged (thank the inventor of my body for all of my fingers and toes because without them I wouldn't be able to count!)....

I believe 1,000mcg is 1mg. It looks like most of us see great improvement with 5mg or more (at least, I have!). So, it would take A LOT of what you have to get to the 5mg level (around 15 of them). If I'm totally off here, somebody please weigh in quickly (and then I'll have to retire my digits in favor of an abacus )
Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanny2Kara
Stats: 162/142/130ish
Start Date: June 16,2007
Oh, Thats what I was afraid of!

I had Biotin on my Christmas wish list. I got two bottles to get down before I buy some!
Nanny2Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny2Kara View Post
Oh, Thats what I was afraid of!

I had Biotin on my Christmas wish list. I got two bottles to get down before I buy some!
Not to worry, just break it up throughout the day. It's better to do that anyway. I would take 4 with each meal and 3 right before bed. Or some such combo.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sappl38220
Stats: 198/190/140
WOE: general lo carb
Start Date: on & off since Dec '99
Great thread, I've really enjoyed everyones comments. I took the plunge and have been taking 5000 mg's for about a week. I am not taking it for my hair, only my nails. Good luck everyone!! I have to try to be patient.
sappl38220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~mina~
ive been on 2000mcg in the morning since around the time of my post on this thread (beginning of october).. although it doesnt feel quite that long

Ive also been taking other vitamins..

I feel pretty good about taking this.. I also started taking calcium/d around that time and my nails are growing (they didnt grow before) with no splinter hemorrhages (I used to get them alot because of the work I do).

my hair feels fuller and when I pull my bangs against my head I definitely have a million baby hairs sticking up. I know it's not breakage because Im pretty careful with my hair (it is very long). also there is something I cant quite put my finger on.. but there has been some sort of change in the color/texture/brightness.. that part might be my imagination. I get alot of compliments on my hair.

I do know after starting this vitamin regimen.. whether it be the combo of supplements im taking or the fact that ive been quite good about getting them in every day (ok sometimes I dont take my iron like I should.. but ive started a prenatal vitamin that should help) but I feel pretty good.. and dont have cravings for things like liver or magnesium rich foods (not even chocolate or cocoa)

sidenote: I also notice when I dont take my magnesium that my nervousness takes off. I start to pick at my nails or (eww yuck) find myself wanting to bite them. magnesium is known to help stress/nerve levels. I may start taking it before bed too. magnesium is a wonderful thing that far FAR too many people are deficient in.

HTH someone
~mina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Caly1
Start Date: November 2005
I've been taking biotin for about 5 weeks now and finally after 2 years my hair has stopped falling out. I was afraid I was going to be a bald bride and nothing I did helped. But now I can shower without being afraid to wash my hair.
Caly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #224
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caly1 View Post
I've been taking biotin for about 5 weeks now and finally after 2 years my hair has stopped falling out. I was afraid I was going to be a bald bride and nothing I did helped. But now I can shower without being afraid to wash my hair.
That is wonderful news!!!!!
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Andrea78
I am STILL waiting for my Jason's Biotin shampoo and conditioner to come in the mail!!! I should have just went out and got it at the GNC at the mall...
grrrr I am getting impatient!! lol
Andrea78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dblyn
Stats: 125 goal
WOE: Atkins/ HCG
Start Date: April 2004 1/2010 HCG
Hi girls Ive been lurking on your thread for awhile.I too have suddenly started noticing a hairloss. Im just like Cheri , my hair has always been my thing! I bought the Biotin and have been taking it for about a month now. I wasnt noticing any difference.But today i see that im not taking enough? I bought the walmart 1000mcg also and taking two a day. Should i up this to at least four a day you think?
Dblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #227
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: balel
Hi Dblyn - yes I would upt your dose to 5 of the 1000mcg per day, at least to start with. I split the dose throughout the day. It took my hair a couple of months to stop falling out but for the last few weeks it seems to be back to normal with very little falling out. I do now have the most ridiculous looking regrowth, especially noticeable down my parting, but it's proof the hair's on it's way back and I LOVE IT! Good luck!

Does anyone know if colouring/highlights will cause the hair to fall again? I've not been brave enough to try since I lost so much hair but I am considering it now. Thanks!
balel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacee
Stats: -75 since starting over
Start Date: 09-01-2009 restart
Hi, balel. I too have the regrowth and am loving it! I color regularly. My hair is medium brown with a lot of gray and I use Excellence Lightest Beige Blonde most often, with an occasional salon visit. It hasn't seemed to affect my regrowth. Hope this helps -- anyone else?
jacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #229
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKat184 View Post
Cheri,

Yes, your hair is out-of-this-world gorgeous! BUT I suspect that your hair is not the ONLY thing that makes people comment. How about your radiant smile, beautiful eyes, and warm generous kind personality.

Hope everyone is having a happy happy and merry merry day!
I am sorry I didn't come back to the thread till now... thanks for being so sweet.. :blush:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~mina~ View Post
ditto to cheri

I highly doubt it's the only thing they comment on youre very pretty.. and I can tell from your posts that you genuinely care about people so youre pretty on the inside too I dont usually post about these things.. but wanted you to know someone who doesnt know you well noticed

ontopic:

Im taking my biotin 2000mcg in the AM.. love it. ive noticed a difference in my hair.. thicker, better color (? is this possible) and stronger. I have hair passed my waist and it gets caught on things sometimes if I wear it down, so strength is important to me. I also dont notice a dry scalp like I used to have.

haha .. oh the Christmas Story movie is on right now and the little boy just got into his snowsuit
Thank you so much for your comments... you all are always so sweet and I do really care about everyone and am wanting everyone to be happy and healthy.

I am so glad you are noticing your hair... I think the biotin does more then just keeps it from falling out. Its just an all around great vitamin. And since it is so inexpensive I just buy a year at a time. Oh and I love the christmas story (I even bought it this year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea78 View Post
Hi everybody!

After I had my second son a long time ago, I noticed my hair fell out in gobs also.. I think it is the change in hormones from being pregnant to not being pregnant. Most people continue their prenatal vitamins after (to finish them up or some take those since they are so good as a one a day). Let us know how you are doing and if the biotin is helping you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKat184 View Post
Andrea,

The biotin at 5mg (5,000 mcg) a day is the ticket! Just know that it might take a while (1-3 months) before you start seeing a difference, so be patient and don't give up.

I started on the biotin after I read this thread (and some other stuff to help with hormone imbalance). It's been a little over a month and I see excellent results in the amount of loss as well as the health of my hair.

It's a very distressing problem but I really believe the suggestions on this thread are a big part of the fixin' solution.
I am glad it is working so well for you too sweetie! I know this issue is hard.. especially on women. I believe it can even help people that have hair dropping due to certain meds also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappl38220 View Post
Great thread, I've really enjoyed everyones comments. I took the plunge and have been taking 5000 mg's for about a week. I am not taking it for my hair, only my nails. Good luck everyone!! I have to try to be patient.
Let us know how you are doing!!! I think the longer this thread keeps going the better because it helps people to see the success of others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~mina~ View Post
ive been on 2000mcg in the morning since around the time of my post on this thread (beginning of october).. although it doesnt feel quite that long

Ive also been taking other vitamins..

I feel pretty good about taking this.. I also started taking calcium/d around that time and my nails are growing (they didnt grow before) with no splinter hemorrhages (I used to get them alot because of the work I do).

my hair feels fuller and when I pull my bangs against my head I definitely have a million baby hairs sticking up. I know it's not breakage because Im pretty careful with my hair (it is very long). also there is something I cant quite put my finger on.. but there has been some sort of change in the color/texture/brightness.. that part might be my imagination. I get alot of compliments on my hair.

I do know after starting this vitamin regimen.. whether it be the combo of supplements im taking or the fact that ive been quite good about getting them in every day (ok sometimes I dont take my iron like I should.. but ive started a prenatal vitamin that should help) but I feel pretty good.. and dont have cravings for things like liver or magnesium rich foods (not even chocolate or cocoa)

sidenote: I also notice when I dont take my magnesium that my nervousness takes off. I start to pick at my nails or (eww yuck) find myself wanting to bite them. magnesium is known to help stress/nerve levels. I may start taking it before bed too. magnesium is a wonderful thing that far FAR too many people are deficient in.

HTH someone
I am so happy that it is helping you sweetie... Keep taking it.. again, I notice when I stop using biotin my hair loss resumes (because I have a vitamin deficency)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caly1 View Post
Awwwww caly... I know how you feel about being afraid of the shower... when I was losing it at such a fast rate I was afraid to brush my hair so I was afraid to wash it... and I remember crying in the shower with my boys banging on the door since they could hear I was upset ... it can be very devistating.. especially going from thick thick hair like I have now to pencil thin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblyn View Post
Hi girls Ive been lurking on your thread for awhile.I too have suddenly started noticing a hairloss. Im just like Cheri , my hair has always been my thing! I bought the Biotin and have been taking it for about a month now. I wasnt noticing any difference.But today i see that im not taking enough? I bought the walmart 1000mcg also and taking two a day. Should i up this to at least four a day you think?
Let us know if the increase helps you... I know when I was taking 1000 a day it wasn't helping and then I talked to my doctor after reading up on it about taking 5000 a day... got the green light and have been so happy I upped them. Let us know if the loss gets in control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by balel View Post
Hi Dblyn - yes I would upt your dose to 5 of the 1000mcg per day, at least to start with. I split the dose throughout the day. It took my hair a couple of months to stop falling out but for the last few weeks it seems to be back to normal with very little falling out. I do now have the most ridiculous looking regrowth, especially noticeable down my parting, but it's proof the hair's on it's way back and I LOVE IT! Good luck!

Does anyone know if colouring/highlights will cause the hair to fall again? I've not been brave enough to try since I lost so much hair but I am considering it now. Thanks!
I color and perm my hair. I have red hair naturally but it seemed to be dull.. and I was afraid about going grey. lol So my hair is very highly processed... This is what I do however to help the situation...

I have my hairdresser put a protein pak conditioner on my hair and put me under the dryer for 15 minutes before I perm.... she then rinses it out and procedes to roll it. I think if you make your hair in better condition before you use a process it will help keep it from drying out so much.. I have started doing a conditioning treatment before I color it now also. (I color it myself) I also use the conditioner they give you in the box of color... it is the BEST ever... leave it on three minutes then rinse... it helps with brushing my hair since my hair is so so curly it gets tangled and I worry about pulling any out.

I have a friend that colors her hair also and doesn't use the conditioner they enclose because her hair is very fine and she says its too much moisture for her hair... so between hers (she colors way more often then I do) I use that type of conditioner every time I wash my hair.

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #230
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: balel
Thanks Jacee and Cheri for your advice, I've made an appointment for next week and am looking forward now to getting hair highlighted again! Think before I go I will do as you suggest and give it a really good conditioning treatment to help protect it. Many thanks!
balel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: 9-8-07
I'm marking my spot!

I just noticed I'm starting to shed ALOT and I think it might have to do with losing so much weight so quickly. It's not to the point of globs, but my brush is getting a whole lot of hair in it, plus lots of hair in the drains.

I got a supplement called 'Hair, Skin and Nails' from Walgreens. It has 3000mcg of biotin/dose plus a whole lot of other things. It's more of a multivitamin with the addition of biotin I think.

Will report back with results!
LowCarbSleepyToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #232
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeryn
Stats: 175/165/145
Start Date: 3/24/07
You guys, I just meant to post a message to this topic and instead I made a whole new topic of its own. DOH!

Anyway, I wanted to ask how long, in general, it took for your hair to stop falling out -- mine's been going since October now -- I put all these details in the other post, but now I feel bad repeating them another place on the forum, so I'll just say -- I'm eating more than enough and everything, I think it's just telogen effluvium, but when is it gonna end?? LOL!

I am taking Biotin, btw!
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacee
Stats: -75 since starting over
Start Date: 09-01-2009 restart
Aeryn, probably about a month after I started taking it, I noticed there was a lot less hair in the drain after showering and less falling out whenever I styled. By 2 months I was seeing some regrowth. My hair is still thin, but there's a big difference from what it was six months ago. It's also growing a lot faster. Hang in there! How long have you been taking the Biotin?

Joyce
jacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #234
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeryn
Stats: 175/165/145
Start Date: 3/24/07
Hi Jacee, I've been taking 2400mcg for about three months now. Now, after reading all this, I'm definitely upping it to 5000!
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #235
Carby Cat

Gallery: Tazcat
thanks for this thread. I'm on 5000 mcg Biotin and hopeful i will get some hair back - i lost so much due to thyroid function
Tazcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Caly1
Start Date: November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacee View Post
Aeryn, probably about a month after I started taking it, I noticed there was a lot less hair in the drain after showering and less falling out whenever I styled. By 2 months I was seeing some regrowth. My hair is still thin, but there's a big difference from what it was six months ago. It's also growing a lot faster. Hang in there! How long have you been taking the Biotin?

Joyce
These are my results exactly. It still comes out more than it used to, but much much less and I'm starting to see some new growth. I honestly haven't noticed it growing any faster but the fact that my head is holding on to what its got is enough for me!
Caly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sappl38220
Stats: 198/190/140
WOE: general lo carb
Start Date: on & off since Dec '99
I've been on 5000mg for a month and haven't noticed anything yet. How long should I wait?
sappl38220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Ive been taking the Biotin for about a month now and i think im starting to see some progress, at least my eyebrows and leg hair are going crazy anyway But i finished off a bottle and bought a new one ,a different brand. The new one says contains potatoe starch. I dont know why i didnt look at that before i bought it. Since im currently doing Atkins induction should i toss it and just buy another bottle? Im having trouble finding the 5000 one.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #239
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblyn View Post
Ive been taking the Biotin for about a month now and i think im starting to see some progress, at least my eyebrows and leg hair are going crazy anyway But i finished off a bottle and bought a new one ,a different brand. The new one says contains potatoe starch. I dont know why i didnt look at that before i bought it. Since im currently doing Atkins induction should i toss it and just buy another bottle? Im having trouble finding the 5000 one.
I seriously doubt there would be enough potato starch to affect your weightloss so if was me.. I would take it. But if you worry about it you can always put it away for use later and order more... You can find bioton here on netrition. Though it has rice flour again its not enough to make a difference in weightloss efforts. They have a super great and inexpensive shipping price so if you buy it here you can get a few bottles and it will end up very reasonable...

NOW Foods Biotin

I have used the puritan pride brand also... Other Ingredients in that brand: Calcium Carbonate, Gelatin, Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate..
Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Thanks a bunch Cheri, I just knew you would have the right answer I did find some 5000 in town today at walgreens .