Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 AM   #181
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rachelocity
WOE: Fitbit/My Fitness Pal
Start Date: Every day I'm shuffling
No increase in facial hair here! I don't have hairy legs to begin with, so no notable changes in that area. But my nails, which usually split like crayzeee are like iron, and I can feel stubbly hair on my scalp - evidence of lotsa new growth. I am seriously thinking that I will get a cut lil' pixie cut in the spring, so my hair will be able to grow out evenly.

My dose, FWIW, is 1 5000 mcg capsule every morning, and I am using Jason's Biotin Shampoo exclusively.
Rachelocity is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #182
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: northernstar
Stats: 314/180/160
Start Date: RNY June 25, 2012
I have just started taking biotin myself. My hair has thinned considerable in the last few months and it makes me just want to cry. The other day I was pulling my hair back and I felt the top of my head and it felt like a bald spot. I just BURST into tears. Luckily, it just felt that way because it was weighed down (and so thin to begin with).

I also started using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. I got a pretty good deal on eBay, so for what it's worth I'll use it and see how it goes.
northernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I started Biotin yesterday morning after reading about how it helps with nails. My hair is fine (knock on wood) but my nails break and split really easily.

I couldn't find the Jason's at Wally World. Which section is everyone finding it in and what does it LOOK like? (color of bottle etc.)
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #184
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriWants2Lose View Post
I started Biotin yesterday morning after reading about how it helps with nails. My hair is fine (knock on wood) but my nails break and split really easily.

I couldn't find the Jason's at Wally World. Which section is everyone finding it in and what does it LOOK like? (color of bottle etc.)

I found it at my Super Walmart in with the other haircare products. Its in a white bottle with a lt. blue label on the front I think. Back on page 4 in the thread someone posted a pic. HTH

Last edited by scrappychik; 10-28-2007 at 05:20 PM..
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
question for subscribers to this thread

I take 5000mcg of biotin every day and use Jason's shampoo and conditioner exclusively. My hair is a little thicker and I have noticed a little bit of baby hair appearing around the face. BTW, I've been taking the biotin about 6 weeks and using the shampoo about 4 weeks.

I'd like to hear from people who are only taking the biotin orally and from people only using the shampoo. Which of you are noticing a positive difference? Anyone only doing one of these and not seeing any difference?

Thanks for your input-
Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #186
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I had lost a ton of hair... probably 3/4 of it. I was very upset and freaked out.. my hair has always been my thing. I started taking biotin and used rogaine for women for about 6 weeks... then just used biotin the rest of the time.. ALL my hair has grown back and then some. Now it is my hairdresser complaining of too much hair then not enough. Some people want to use several products at once to stop their hair loss quicker if they can. Losing hair can be very hard to take... especially for women... If you only can do one thing I would say take oral biotin because it works from the inside out and helps more then just using shampoo. Your body will kick out the extra biotin so you can take more of it.... One in the morning and one at night until your hair is growing back in... then drop it down to one a day and see how it goes.. if you start losing hair again you can always add in the second pill. One good thing is biotin supplements are very inexpensive while the shampoo seems a bit more pricey to me. I only take 1 5000 mcg supplement a day now and my hair is not falling out at all.

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueHat
Like a few other people I'm worried about facial hair - I have spent a lot of money and many rounds on laser hair removal on my face. Before I did that I had to wax it every two days - it was bad. But I also went crazy and pulled a 'Britney' a few months ago and really want my hair to grow faster!

Does anyone know if this would help on male pattern baldness if its at its very earliest stages?

Also, has anyone tried Puritan's Pride Biotin shampoo? Its less than four dollars right now so I might just go ahead and order it, don't think it can do any harm : )

Thanks for the heads up on this product!
BlueHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/161/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Something else I thought about. I am taking the CLA/GLA combo. Would this affect when I take the biotin? I have been taking them all together throughout the day. Thanks!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 AM   #189
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Something else I thought about. I am taking the CLA/GLA combo. Would this affect when I take the biotin? I have been taking them all together throughout the day. Thanks!
I am also taking the combo. I take the Biotin in the AM along with my Multivitamin and 3CLA/2GLA then I take 2CLA/2GLA in the PM. I am having good results with all.
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
... If you only can do one thing I would say take oral biotin because it works from the inside out and helps more then just using shampoo. Your body will kick out the extra biotin so you can take more of it.... One in the morning and one at night until your hair is growing back in... then drop it down to one a day and see how it goes.. if you start losing hair again you can always add in the second pill. One good thing is biotin supplements are very inexpensive while the shampoo seems a bit more pricey to me. I only take 1 5000 mcg supplement a day now and my hair is not falling out at all.

cheri
Cheri,
Thank you for your input. The supplement seems like the better choice. I think when my shampoo runs out, I'll just use the supplement for a while to see how that works out.

Right now my only complaint about hair regrowth is that the baby hair coming in is coming in gray. (I'm 56) That's a wonderful complaint to have, isn't it?

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #191
Way too much time on my hands!

..on biotin for 2 weeks and nothing yet
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #192

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working View Post
It takes longer then that. You have to give it a couple of months. Hang in there!!
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
It takes longer then that. You have to give it a couple of months. Hang in there!!
hanging in there I am looking forward to the thicker hair. IS it still working for you?

Last edited by aim in Fla*working; 11-08-2007 at 09:30 AM..
Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #194
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working View Post
Same here, I started right about the same time as you and hair is still coming out by the handful. Hopefully in another week or so, we will start to see a difference.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #195
Administrator

Don't worry... what will happen is you will suddenly realize that your hair is not falling out as much... then hardly at all. When you start getting some hair back it will take awhile to see it since it will be so short for a time. Just keep on taking it and hopefully you will see the difference soon.

cheri
Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacee
Stats: -75 since starting over
Start Date: 09-01-2009 restart
Okay, I was skeptical but figured it couldn't hurt to try. I am taking the biotin each morning (after seeing Cheri's post #186 I am upping it to 2 starting tomorrow) but haven't tried the shampoo. I started almost 3 mo. ago. By a month later I was noticing much less hair in the shower drain and DH commented on that. Maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago I noticed some new growth in the temple area, then I kept thinking I was seeing some baby hairs when I would curl my hair on top but I was afraid to believe it. Last night, I finally checked closely and there is definitely new growth about 1 - 2 inches long. I could not ignore it, because I couldn't get it wrapped around the curling iron, too short. Today I worked up the nerve to ask my husband to look and see what he thinks (he knows how self-conscious I am about the loss) and he got almost as excited as me. He also says he could see some really tiny ones maybe half an inch long, too, and they were dark brown. I colored last weekend so they have to be just starting.

My hair loss is not from dieting. It's a family thing and I've been dealing with it for a few years. Dare I hope???? One thing's for sure, I can no longer deny that something is working. It HAS to be the biotin. I am thankful for each of you who have shared your story here. You gave me hope, and so I wanted to give back by maybe helping someone else.

Thank you all!
Jacee
jacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 AM   #197

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Jacee, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 AM   #198

Old 11-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deeda
Stats: 220/196/160 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 2007/ Again Feb. 22 2008
I have noticed a ton less hair loss but I don't see any new growth. But I am sticking with it and we'll see.
Deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #200
KOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeda View Post
I have noticed a ton less hair loss but I don't see any new growth. But I am sticking with it and we'll see.
I think this is where I am. My hairdresser said she didn't see it come out like she did the last time I was there.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #201
KOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeda View Post
I think this is where I am. My hairdresser said she didn't see it come out like she did the last time I was there. What is interesting though is that article I read somewhere here on the board that the hair we are losing now is actually from 3 months ago, so would it be curtailing on its own or is it the biotin. I think taking the biotin will help in the future but I don't know that it actually is helping what we are going through at the present.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Toey2
Stats: I'm on a scale strike.
WOE: With a really big fork
Start Date: Every day is a new dawning...
I've been taking Biotin for a little over a month now and I LOVE what it does for my nails.
I used to break them all the time and have to cut them all down to match, but I haven't had a break in WEEKS!!

My hair is growing in fuller too. Cut a ton of it off cause it was all frizzy and falling out due to too much stress. Now I only get a few strands in the tub and it's growing like crazy.

I only take one pill in the morning. No shampoo/cond.

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]“Where your treasure is, there your heart will be” (Matthew 6:21)[/COLOR]
Toey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #203
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacee View Post
Okay, I was skeptical but figured it couldn't hurt to try. I am taking the biotin each morning (after seeing Cheri's post #186 I am upping it to 2 starting tomorrow) but haven't tried the shampoo. I started almost 3 mo. ago. By a month later I was noticing much less hair in the shower drain and DH commented on that. Maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago I noticed some new growth in the temple area, then I kept thinking I was seeing some baby hairs when I would curl my hair on top but I was afraid to believe it. Last night, I finally checked closely and there is definitely new growth about 1 - 2 inches long. I could not ignore it, because I couldn't get it wrapped around the curling iron, too short. Today I worked up the nerve to ask my husband to look and see what he thinks (he knows how self-conscious I am about the loss) and he got almost as excited as me. He also says he could see some really tiny ones maybe half an inch long, too, and they were dark brown. I colored last weekend so they have to be just starting.

My hair loss is not from dieting. It's a family thing and I've been dealing with it for a few years. Dare I hope???? One thing's for sure, I can no longer deny that something is working. It HAS to be the biotin. I am thankful for each of you who have shared your story here. You gave me hope, and so I wanted to give back by maybe helping someone else.

Thank you all!
Jacee
I am so so happy for you!! I know how if feels to lose so much hair that it is really scarey... and that new growth is validation that it is working so keep up the biotin and it won't start coming out again. It doesn't sound like you need to up your biotin since you are having so much regrowth but if you do decide to up it make sure you take one in the morning and one in the evening. If you take both of them at the same time your body will dispell what it doesn't need at the moment it gets into your system so its best to split up the dosages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toey2 View Post
I've been taking Biotin for a little over a month now and I LOVE what it does for my nails.
I used to break them all the time and have to cut them all down to match, but I haven't had a break in WEEKS!!

My hair is growing in fuller too. Cut a ton of it off cause it was all frizzy and falling out due to too much stress. Now I only get a few strands in the tub and it's growing like crazy.

I only take one pill in the morning. No shampoo/cond.
Its normal to lose about 100 hairs a day (as per my hairdresser) She showed me what was normal and it was about a circle of hair about the size of a quarter or so. Usually what collects just on top of the drain of a sink. I am so glad you are finding it working for you as well!!

cheri
Old 12-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #204
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: balel
Hi, thought you might like to know how I'm getting on with the Biotin now. Hair loss has slowed down considerably and I have started to notice a lot of new growth. It fell heavily for about 6-8 weeks (see my earlier hysterical posting!!!), but has slowly lessened off in the last few weeks. I'm taking 5000mcg of Biotin per day and use a shampoo and scalp treatment called Foltene, so I'm not sure which is having the most effect, but I'll stick with both because I am so pleased!! My hair still has along way to go, it really is half as thick as it used to be but I guess I am one of the lucky ones as it was exceptionally thick before so now it just looks normal. It still freaks me out when I fasten it back though - I used to struggle to find bands big enough - now they go round several times!
I'm not sure if you can get Foltene in the States but it is worth a go - this is the website if you would like to read about their products: intro - rather than hereditory or age related the products really seems to be aimed at loss through diet, stress etc.
The cynic in me says perhaps neither have had any effect and the loss was just a stage through which I have now passed, but either way I am just so thrilled that it seems to be stopping.
So another Biotin convert here - I love it!!
Thank you everyone for your postings, they got me through a really bleak time xxx
balel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FatKat184
Stats: 160/152/140
WOE: low carb
Thanks Balel!

Anybody else having good results with the mega dose of biotin over a long period of time?

Sorry this is so wordy...

This thread is of great interest (thanks Cheri and all others for sharing your stories!). The main reason I stopped LCing years ago was due to major hair loss (almost a third of my hair).

I puzzled over why it happened to some lc'ers and not others. Very recently (like two months ago!), I have come to understand, in my case, that it was/is a hormone issue. My free testosterone levels are high which, I believe, led to the hair loss in the first place (pre-existing hormone imbalance that was heightened by a 35lbs weight loss eating low carb).

Anyway, now that I know or think that I know (DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW...EVEN THE DOCTORS???? ) it's hormonal and NOT low carbing itself I'm back to eating Atkin's style. It's the only WOE that made me feel good and healthy.

That said, in the hopes of encouraging hair growth, I'm taking 5g of Biotin 2x per day and 5g of MSM 1x per day.

To deal with the hormone imbalance, I'm using topical bio-identical progesterone cream (rx'ed from GYN), drinking spearmint tea 2x per day and taking 1gram of apple pectin per day. The spearmint tea and apple pectin were recommended to me by a very well respected accupuncturist who, unlike doctors practicing western medicine, believes that the tea and pectin bind with the free testosterone without impacting the overall level of testosterone (which I like, because frankly, I'm a big fan of libido ).

Anyway, I and maybe others too, would really like to hear about the experiences/results of those of you who have been using the supplements in high doses over an extended period of time (i.e. 3 months or more).

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by FatKat184; 12-07-2007 at 07:18 AM..
FatKat184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #206
Administrator

I have been using the biotin for about 3 years now... As you can see by my avatar my hair is so much better. I lost over 1/2 of it... its all grown back and then some. I talked to my doctor about me taking it for so long and he said it would not hurt me.. its just a vitamin and if it is working for me to have at it. Any biotin that is unused by your body just comes out in your urine. I hope this helps.. Hopefully others will post also to give you their insight.

cheri
Old 12-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: slh72454
Stats: 310/225/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart August 20th 2012
I'm going to check this out at WalMart the next time I go. I've always had naturally thick hair that grows pretty fast and probably the last month or so, I've noticed alot of hair falling out whenever I dry my hair after a shower.

Have any guys had luck with this?
slh72454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #208
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/168/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
This is a great thread. I just hit my 4 month mark on low carb and my hair is falling out! I used to have thick hair, but had some hormonal issues 12 years ago and it has been thin ever since. To make matters worse, I have a nervous habit of pulling out my hair! My hairdresser gave me some Nioxin Shampoo and I'm going to pick up some mega dose of Biotin today (I currently take a hair vitamin, but it only has 40 mg of biotin in it).

This thread gives me hope that I can restore my hair. I've always thought I would feel more confident if my hair were thicker and have even thought about wearing a wig.

I'm prepared for a 3 month journey to healthy hair as I know that is the cycle of hair growth.

Thanks for reporting back on your progress. I'll do the same.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/161/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Just resurrecting this thread to post my results so far w/ the Biotin. I have been taking it for about 3 mo. (with a couple of unplanned vacations w/o it) and I can finally report that my hair is not coming out in GLOBS after showering and when I comb my hair!!! After washing, then combing my hair I would get nearly a fistful of hair. Very scary! Now it is the "normal" size glob! I expect in a few more months that I will see some new growth. Thanks everyone for the great (and cheap!) tip!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/139.6/150 5'6" 31y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
I don't see growth yet I don't take it religiously (sometimes I do, but sometimes only a few times a week). I know I should be more persistant, and I don't think I'm LOSING hair, I just don't see the baby hairs growing in

Oh well. I have so much faith in this stuff and my fingernails look amazing! I use the Jason shampoo and conditioner, too, though I think it may fade my haircolor a bit.
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote