Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #121
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Gary... hopefully with taking the biotin supplements your hair will take off and get much thicker and then the shampoo will work also. I have a friend that uses Nioxin shampoo... she says it works for her pretty well. When I first lost so much hair I did use rogaine for women for a month or so along with the biotin... the walmart brand will do. I felt that it did help jumpstart my hair growth but most people do great just with the 5000 mcg of biotin which is what I currently take. When I lost hair my ponytail went from a couple inches thick to about the size of my pinky finger. Now that is a lot of hair loss. I hope that you notice that your hair is getting better very soon.

Take care!

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: balel
First timer using an internet forum so hope this gets through! I have been losing serious amounts of hair for the last month, absolute handfuls in the shower, so bad that now I am too scared to wash it and only do so every 5 or 6 days. I have always had really thick hair - my hairdresser says it is the thickest hair he has ever had to work with. But already it is incredibly thin, I really think if this continues I will be bald in another months time and I am petrified!! I have had thyroid and anaemia tests at my doctor - all OK and she does think it must be to do with diet - I have been on Dr.Atkins/low carb since April this year. I have now stopped this and am eating what I believe is a good mixed diet.
Are any other people really losing their hair at this speed?
I started on Biotin 2 weeks ago,after reading all your recommendations on here, but no change yet. If anything it's getting worse, as much came out when I ran my fingers thro' it this morning as when I have been washing it, so now too scared to even brush! I don't think we can get 5000mcg here in the UK so I have been taking 4 (sometimes 5) of what I believe are the 1000mcg strength per day, 2 morning and night. (Our labelling and strength sizes seem different to yours).
Any confidence boosts would be gratefully recieved as I have just spent whole of today on bedroom floor in tears.
Thanks Liz
balel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deeda
Stats: 220/196/160 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 2007/ Again Feb. 22 2008
I ordered Avalon Natural, Biotin B-Complex Shampoo and Conditioner and Nature's Way, Biotin, 1000 mcg Lozenges. So I guess I would take 5 lozenges a day? I can't swallow pills so I thought I would give these a try. Anyone use these products? I have been dealing with hair thinning just on the top of my head for a few years. Apparently, male pattern baldness runs in the women of my family. It isn't noticeable yet but it is getting there. I am only 25. This is nuts! The bottom of my hair is uneffected though. As if being overweight wasn't enough to deal with...
220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185 184 183 182 181 180 179 178 177 176 175 174 173 172 171 170 169 168 167 166 165 164 163 162 161 [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]160[/COLOR] 159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145
Deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #124

Gallery: Shae
Oh Liz! I am so very sorry this is happening to you! NO woman should have to go thru this!

I am going thru soemthing very similar. I have been losing hair on and off for
*6* years! Like you, my hair was incredibley thick, now it's quite thin. It took years before anyone would really believe me, and it's taken years to get to the bottom of it, and we're STILL not there. I go in for more testing today.

Some tests I would highly suggest you insist on/beg for!

*TSH, Ft4, Ft3, and thyroid antibody testing, TPO I think it's called (this is the test that got me diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroiditus, before I had it the doctors always told me I was "fine" because my TSH# was always between 2-5)

*Ferrratin level, not just iron

*Full hormone testing.....Testosterone, Estradiol, and Progesterone

There are others also, but this is a good place to start.

I just don't think womens hairloss is *that* big a deal to doctors. That or they just don't take us seriously. Why in the world am I now going in today SIX years into my hairloss to beg for Progesterone testing???!!! I mean whey didn't they do every possible test 4 or 5 years ago when I still had ALOT of hair??!! In America, healthcare seems run by insurance companies! Also, the majority of docs I've dealt with have god-complexes and are quite arrogant. They seem to get offended when I've gone in there armed with information. Well WHO CARES! I've been passive long enough!

Liz, God bless and help you on your quest to keep your hair! PLEASE do NOT give up!

Oh, and keep up the biotin...it can't hurt! I take it everyday and I'm convinced I'd have even less hair if I didn't take that and my fish oil daily!

HTHs
Shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #125

I just wanted to post that there is another great "natural" Biotin shampoo out there......It's called "Biotin B-Complex Thickening Shampoo" by Avalon Organics. I just got it a couple of days ago and it's great!

You can read about it here......

Makeupalley Makeupalley Product Reviews - Avalon Organic Botanicals - biotin

and look at the ingrediant list here..........

Shampoo Biotin B-Complex - Thickening - Buy Shampoo Biotin B-Complex - Thickening Product by Avalon Organic Botanicals at Herbspro

I got mine at my local healthfood/vitamin shop (for around $6-$7 I think).

HTHs!

*Just thought about it, but you might have to be a member to view the MakeUpAlley reviews. Well, it's easy to do and I love reading about skincare/makeup there!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #126

Deeda...I think that's the one I just posted about! Like the Jasons, it's great stuff!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae View Post
Deeda...I think that's the one I just posted about! Like the Jasons, it's great stuff!

Funny. How long have you been using it? You really think it works? I am hoping so badly that it does. I should be getting it tomorrow I think.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #128

Oh, I just bougt it and have only used it a few times. I like it better than most natural shampoos I've tried, as it seemed to lather better. It does have a herbalish smell, but it doesn't bother me.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trents
Stats: 170/145/??? (5'6)
WOE: Atkins-OWL
Start Date: 3-24-2007
I just bought the biotin 5000mcg.Could not find the shampoo..I can't wait till it starts working ,so tired of my hair falling out..Thanks for the info on this everyone!
Trents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
I noticed while I was at Walmart yesterday that they carry the Jasons shampoo and conditioner but they were all out. Lots of people must be liking it! It was still a better deal on Swansons though even with the shipping Cant wait to get mine.
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #131
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by balel View Post
First timer using an internet forum so hope this gets through! I have been losing serious amounts of hair for the last month, absolute handfuls in the shower, so bad that now I am too scared to wash it and only do so every 5 or 6 days. I have always had really thick hair - my hairdresser says it is the thickest hair he has ever had to work with. But already it is incredibly thin, I really think if this continues I will be bald in another months time and I am petrified!! I have had thyroid and anaemia tests at my doctor - all OK and she does think it must be to do with diet - I have been on Dr.Atkins/low carb since April this year. I have now stopped this and am eating what I believe is a good mixed diet.
Are any other people really losing their hair at this speed?
I started on Biotin 2 weeks ago,after reading all your recommendations on here, but no change yet. If anything it's getting worse, as much came out when I ran my fingers thro' it this morning as when I have been washing it, so now too scared to even brush! I don't think we can get 5000mcg here in the UK so I have been taking 4 (sometimes 5) of what I believe are the 1000mcg strength per day, 2 morning and night. (Our labelling and strength sizes seem different to yours).
Any confidence boosts would be gratefully recieved as I have just spent whole of today on bedroom floor in tears.
Thanks Liz
Sweetheart.... Let me just say I was exactly where you are.... was. I remember crying my eyes out in the shower as I brushed my hair with gobs of conditioner in it so that it would untangle and hopefully not pull out.... My sons were at the bathroom door banging on it asking if I was okay.

If you have the 1000 mcg pills go ahead and take 5 at a time... this is what I did before I found the 5000 mcg.... or look for the 5 mg of biotin.. that is the same as 5000 mcg. At the beginning I could tell when I was losing hair and my scalp would itch like crazy.. I would scratch and then run my fingers through my hair and get so many hairs out... it was at an alarming rate just like you... but don't freak out okay? Stress can also make it fall out. Calm down... take a deep breath.. follow my lead. Because it is falling out so fast you might want to get rogaine for women. If you have a walmart that brand is good also and is cheaper. Follow the directions (I think I remember using it a few times a day)... It can take about a month to notice the hair isn't falling out anymore... but keep asking your hair stylist if he see new hair growth and I am sure you will get a very positive response.

Let me know if you need to talk...

cheri
Old 09-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #132
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: balel
Hi
Thanks for the support, I have spent hours on this website, and although my husband says I mustn't, I do think reading everyones experiences has helped.

I will try and ask my Doctor for the other tests recommended but must admit I am a bit apprehensive about doing this as I don't like to push - British reserve I guess!! But desperate times call for desperate measures so will give it a go.
I do tend to think it is diet related though so will stick to taking Biotin and hope to see some improvement before too long.
Cheri - your experience so sounds like mine (yes I have spent ages emptying the conditioner bottle in the vain hope it would stop the hair fall when I brushed - and my two little boys were outside the bathroom asking if I was OK too!) Like everyone else I think your hair is gorgeous now so will concentrate on the positive and hope to get through this sooner rather than later.
Many thanks for the support - I will keep in touch and let you know my progress,
Liz
balel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mintchocolate
Stats: 177/154.2/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2007
My Daughter is going to school for Bio-Medical and I was telling her about the Biotin, she has some damaged hair from a very bad dye job. So I tell her about the Hair, Skin, & Nails, which has 3000mc of biotin and 2 1000mc. Well she says that your body can't use that much Biotin at one time and that I should be spliting it up thru out the day or my bod will just get rid of the excess. Any thoughts on this. Anybody?

Last edited by mintchocolate; 09-28-2007 at 08:47 AM..
mintchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Is it me or,does this Biotin 5000mcg give you energy?Its only my second day taking it but i feel a difference in energy..
Old 09-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #135
Administrator

She is right about your body dispelling any excess. I didn't spit it up myself but someone had posted they wanted to take more so I suggested taking one in the morning and one at night otherwise taking the excess wouldn't matter. Its just up to you how you want to take them. Also if you are taking a multivitamin that has biotin in it you should take them separately... again. one in the morning one at night. I am terrible about taking supplements so tend to take mine all at once... when I was having hair loss it was actually the first time I was taking a supplement with any kind of consistancy.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #136
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trents View Post
Is it me or,does this Biotin 5000mcg give you energy?Its only my second day taking it but i feel a difference in energy..
You are exactly right.... that is why people who work out tend to use it..

Biotin Supplements Benefits
The vitamin known as biotin, also known as vitamin H, is really part of the B-complex of vitamins. Biotin plays an important role in the proper functioning and formation of red blood cells, and it also has an important part to play in metabolizing fats, carbohydrates and proteins form the diet.

Biotin is also one of the most important vitamins to the fitness enthusiast, due to the important role it plays in the Krebs cycle. (The Krebs cycle, which is also called the citric acid cycle, is the way method that cells use to convert carbohydrates into energy.) Biotin allows for energy to be produced for prolonged periods of time, making it a good choice for the workout enthusiast. This vitamin has also shown great promise as a supplement for healthy skin and hair.

Here is a review site that reviews diets, vitamins and more...

Biotin: Benefits and Side Effects
Old 09-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: careb
Stats: 253/???/170-165
Cheri I just want to say I you for posting this thread. After my last child I started losing my hair (totally expected of course) but I had major surgery almost 2 years ago as well and my hair has never recovered. I started using Biotion 5000mcg once a day and the new growth is crazy. I am loving it!!!!!

Once again thanks!!!!!
careb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

thanks cheri!!
you're the best big*huggles*for your post
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandra Barnet
Stats: 170/130/130
WOE: Low carb. No grains.
Start Date: 2-15-07
look at all the hairloss that girl suffered on the ******* exposed ktla video posted on the kimmer threads section "why the fascination with kimmer thread"! they said something about it being from calories too low! I might agree with that because I know my calories were too low!
Sandra Barnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Toey2
Stats: I'm on a scale strike.
WOE: With a really big fork
Start Date: Every day is a new dawning...
I guess it's going to take a little while for me to see the difference in my nails, but WOW I noticed a big difference in the amount of hair I've been losing in the shower.

It's only been a couple of weeks, but now I only lose a few stray strands as opposed to the clumps I had been losing.

I'm only taking the pill form, but can't wait to try the shampoo/cond too!!

Thanks for the original posts!!!!
Toey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LaRae
Stats: 275/257/I'll know
Start Date: Restart 9/8/14
Careb:
Quote:
I started using Biotion 5000mcg once a day and the new growth is crazy. I am loving it!!!!!
May I ask how long before you noticed new growth?
LaRae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dreamtrue
Stats: 322/177/145
WOE: WLS/VSG
Start Date: 12/19/2011
Just curious. Do you think it taking Biotin even without hairloss is good for you? I was thinking about doing it as a preventative measure. My hair is already thin and during one period of my life I experienced hair loss as a result of severe stress. It has since grown back. I have about a 100lbs to lose in the next year so I am sure I will experience hair loss again.
Dreamtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Update

Hi Guys,

I started using Jason's Shampoo and Conditioner this week. I don't shampoo everyday b/c I think it makes my hair fall out faster. I have to say that I have not had as much hair fall out this week, either in the shower or in my brush.

I have been taking biotin (5000 mg per day) for about 2 weeks, so that could be helping, too. Someone in an earlier post talked about the body not being able to absorb 5000 mg at one time so I am going to start breaking the biotin pills in half and taking some morning and evening.

TGIF!
Janice

P.S. I haven't noticed any extra "baby hair" coming in but I'm going to hope to see some soon.

Last edited by freeman525; 10-05-2007 at 08:08 AM..
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

I got my shampoo, conditioner and lozenges. I will report back when/if I start to notice a change. (Keeping my fingers crossed)
Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #145
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Ok, it's been 3 months? LOTS of new hair growth. Little hairs popping all over. Much more noticeable now. My Nails? WOWZERS, they grew so much faster and Stronger (right away). I had long nails with a French Manicure (love it). Broke one nail and filed the rest down (I can't stand it when they aren't the same length) and already the nails are growing and I have a shorter version of the French manicure. So, it's no big deal if a nail breaks, I know they will grow back quickly.

I have also noticed the "Energy" thing. I have so much energy for work outs and I also sleep like a baby.

So, I have noticed...

You see a difference with your hair right away with the Jasons shampoo. It feels better and looks better.

Taking the biotin, you should see the hair loss Slow down dramatically in the first week or two.

After taking biotin (Religiously) for a few months, you should see new hair growth. (Lots of tiny "new" hairs when you "part" your hair to look at it).

Nails grow faster right away.

More energy for exercise
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LaRae
Stats: 275/257/I'll know
Start Date: Restart 9/8/14
I haven't heard of the "lozenges"; could someone tell me about them?
I am taking 5000mcg. of the Biotin, and, as it is a capsule, I can't break it to take 1/2 in the morning and evening.
LaRae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: careb
Stats: 253/???/170-165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRae View Post
Careb:

May I ask how long before you noticed new growth?
I started taking it at the beginning of August and by September the new growth was already showing.
careb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/139.6/150 5'6" 31y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
I want to see the little baby hairs!!!

I am so jealous!!! :blush: I have been taking biotin, but only on/off for the past month or two. I keep searching my hair trying to find those little stand-up hairs, but no luck yet.

I'm going to try and be more vigilant with the biotin!

You guys are giving me such great hope!

As to the Jason hair products-- I get the feeling that it dries my hair out, because after using it my air has no slick at all, and rather, is a little bit frizzy. I know dry hair can also feel like thicker hair--- so I'm curious to know if that is why it seems to have such immediate effects?

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.

Internist, Endocrine Fellow
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Is it safe taking 2 a day(5000mcg)I could not remember if i took one this morning.And don't want to take another one just in case i did take it.(not that i want 2 everday just in times like this when i cant remember)TIA!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRae View Post
I haven't heard of the "lozenges"; could someone tell me about them?
I am taking 5000mcg. of the Biotin, and, as it is a capsule, I can't break it to take 1/2 in the morning and evening.
I ordered the lozenges online. Just google it. They are 1000mg per one. I take 3 in the AM and 2 in the PM. I can't swallow pills so these work for me. I just started taking them though so I don't know how effective they are. They are tiny and taste "ok"