Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 AM   #61
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I am so glad to hear this is working for you all!!! My hairdresser keeps telling me she liked my hair BEFORE the biotin because now its way to thick... thicker than my avatar picture! I need to get a new picture... maybe I will take one in a couple days! I have lost more weight and gained more hair so I am sure I have changed some!! I remember when in the shower I could feel the hair sliding down my back and the back of my leg and down towards the drain... having to clean my brush inbetween while brushing since so much hair was coming out... how I sat in the bathroom bawling while seeing this huge pile of red hair sitting in the middle the floor. I can't even explain how big of a pile it was but it looked like the size of a small dog. I was so heartbroken... stressed out and feeling very bad about myself... Thank god for biotin!

For those of you that are doubling your biotin... I would separate the doses then... take one in the morning... one at night... not both at once because your body will dispell the extra and if taking both at a time more then likely its kicking out most of it anyway.

If you have the 1000 mcg pills you can take 5 at once... that is what I did before getting the super biotin. The 5000 biotin is in mcg format... if you find 5 mg biotin... that is the same as the 5000 mcg so don't take alot of those thinking it is way less... you only need one.

I am so happy to see this helping people... it is very common when you are losing weight, have surgery, have a lot of stress in your life. This is one thing you don't HAVE to life with... there is a way to fix it.

When I first started the biotin I also used rogaine for women (the walmart brand)... that helped as well and got the growth to start a little faster I think. (but remember.... I had severe hair loss) People worry about the comment on the bottle that says if you stop using it your hair will fall out again... that is only if you have male or woman pattern baldness.... we don't. Our loss is from other issues so even when discontinuing it like I did... my hair didn't start falling out again.. it just got better and better!

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2007, 06:09 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Cheri, I would LOVE to see another picture of you. I can't imagine your hair looking better and thicker then in your AV!!!

Thank you so much with all you have shared on this subject. You have been such a big help to me and others!
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gary meyer
jasons-cheri

bought the jasons biotin shampoo at my super walmart for 5.96. cheri what do you think of using the biotin shampoo instead of the supplements? have not been able to find out how many mg. are in it,but it is applied directly to the scalp. thanks,gary
gary meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mycattaz
Stats: 416////starting weight 267/todays 233 /goal 200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: September 5, 2013 Atkin's 72 Introduction
Cheri, I started taking the biotin back in May and notice a big difference in my hair in a short time... My hair was falling out like crazy and the biotin really slowed it down.... I ran out and kelp forgetting to pick any up at the store and eventually I did notice my hair coming out again.... Hand fulls.... they will be all over the floor and all over me.... dh would find them in our food that i prepared.... I just started back to taking them and though too I would take one in the am and one in the pm.... mine are the 5000 mcg... do hope to see a difference soon....

Dear Husband's weight
289 start/ 248 today/ 216 goal
mycattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Someone said they noticed thicker eyebrows and eyelashes-It's funny how I hadn't noticed this, but when I read the comment, I looked and sure enough-my lashes and brows are thicker. I haven't noticed any thicker growth onywhere else on my body though-glad about that. As for the hair on my head, I think it is getting better. I have had thinning hair for years though, and I have never noticed handfuls like a lot of you have. I may have female pattern baldness, I really don't know. Maybe that's why it's taking longer for it to work for me? I hope it will increase over time. I will split my dose-I had been thinking of doing that, but hadn't yet.

faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Cheri, I would LOVE to see another picture of you. I can't imagine your hair looking better and thicker then in your AV!!!

Thank you so much with all you have shared on this subject. You have been such a big help to me and others!
Hi Tooter!!

I am taking some pictures tomorrow... I decided I needed a new body shot.. I am nervous about it of course but I think it will show me how I am doing... You will see my hair then... its much more healthier then it was in my avatar shot. I will be posting them sometime tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary meyer View Post
bought the jasons biotin shampoo at my super walmart for 5.96. cheri what do you think of using the biotin shampoo instead of the supplements? have not been able to find out how many mg. are in it,but it is applied directly to the scalp. thanks,gary

Hi gary!!

Its kind of hard to say. It depends on how bad you are losing your hair. My friend takes biotin and uses naproxin shampoo for thinning hair and when she just was doing the shampoo she wasn't noticing a difference so I gave her a bottle of my super biotin and she has been using it ever since. Some people do fine with just the shampoo... some do just fine with just the supplements.. but if you are losing a lot of hair I would do both... The supplements are pretty inexpensive.

If you want... try the shampoo for a couple weeks and if you don't notice a difference then add the supplements.. Usually a few weeks is enough to notice your hair is falling out less then it had been. Personally I like the supplements because it works from the inside out.

cheri
Old 08-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #68
Administrator

Here are a few pictures... .I am not happy with them yet. I hate my arms and wish I could take a better picture... I am not photogenic at all... but I think this shows more hair since my last picture... you will have to be the judge... though my hairdresser insists its more.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Cheri you look like you lost alot more weight...WTG! and you are beautiful.... love your hair... how many month difference form the first picture?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #70

Cheri, you look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, I love your hair. You can totally see a bigger difference since your last av!! WOW!! I bet your hairdresser complains!! I hope you tip her good!! LOL I dream of having your "problem".

Thank you so much for posting the pictures and sharing them. I know how hard that is to do. You look beautiful!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
You look great! And you do have a LOT more hair! Wow!
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cabogirl
Stats: 199/163/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/2002
I just ordered some last night from Puritan's Pride (Puritan's Pride Vitamins: Discount Vitamins and Herbal Supplements). I don't know if it is a good deal but it was convenient. I ordered 2 (120 - 5000 mcg) bottles and got 4 free so it was a total of 6 for $30 with no shipping. I can't wait to start taking it. I have really strong nails but very fine hair and I feel like it is getting thinner....
cabogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #73

Gallery: Pompom2
Stats: 5'2" 120
WOE: Lower Carb
Cheri--your hair looks amazing. Can you PM what products you use? As a red head with naturally curly hair as well, I still havent found the holy grail in my haircare.

Is there a reason for the 5000mcg? Is that the point when it starts working? Are you taking it with anything else? I have a bottle of 1000mcg and it says 1 pill a day and I have been taking it for 2 months now and havent noticed a difference. I took 3 tabs last night because I was afraid of side effects of 5 pills. Any ideas?
Pompom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!

alot of people take the 1,000, just take 5 at a time..... should not be a problem
Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompom2 View Post
Cheri--your hair looks amazing. Can you PM what products you use? As a red head with naturally curly hair as well, I still havent found the holy grail in my haircare.

Is there a reason for the 5000mcg? Is that the point when it starts working? Are you taking it with anything else? I have a bottle of 1000mcg and it says 1 pill a day and I have been taking it for 2 months now and havent noticed a difference. I took 3 tabs last night because I was afraid of side effects of 5 pills. Any ideas?
I tried using just 1000 mcg a day and wasn't getting the results I wanted and my hair was still falling out but just slowed... I heard that they give babies biotin for their cradle cap and that also if you take too much biotin your body just expells it. So I switched to the 5000 mcg and BAM I saw a difference in a few weeks. At first I just took 5 of the 1000 mcgs and when I ran out started buying the super biotin (5000 mcg) That is why I am on a mission to let people know what happened to me and how I got my hair back to normal and beyond. Its the best shape its been in my lifetime. I take it every day because my hair is my thing... in fact I went to sign Matthew up for school today and the first thing the receptionist said to me was OMG, I love your hair! Matthew looked at me and said was that about the 10,000th person that has commented on your hair? LOL

My hair is my asset so when I lost most of it I was devastated.. Thank goodness I got it back. I always knew when I was losing hair because my scalp would itch and then I would run my hand through my hair and a handful would come right out... root and all.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

cheri
Old 08-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alisa053065
Stats: 316\278/150
Start Date: August 18, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
My hair is my asset so when I lost most of it I was devastated.. Thank goodness I got it back. I always knew when I was losing hair because my scalp would itch and then I would run my hand through my hair and a handful would come right out... root and all.

cheri
Cheri - I know just how you feel! My hair is "my thing" - I have always felt like it was the only pretty thing about me and when it started falling out, like you, I was devastated. It's not just that it's our hair - it's the one thing we can point to and say "Yeah, I really do like this one thing about myself...." I know exactly how you felt.

I started on the biotin as well and can't wait for the results!
alisa053065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisa053065 View Post
Cheri - I know just how you feel! My hair is "my thing" - I have always felt like it was the only pretty thing about me and when it started falling out, like you, I was devastated. It's not just that it's our hair - it's the one thing we can point to and say "Yeah, I really do like this one thing about myself...." I know exactly how you felt.

I started on the biotin as well and can't wait for the results!
Let us know how it works for you also okay? Some are also using the jasons biotin shampoo as well... I thought about giving it a try just for added support but couldn't find it at my superwalmart where others have gotten it...
Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

I looked for jasons biotin shampoo at walmart, didn't find any...
Old 08-20-2007, 07:59 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycattaz View Post
I looked for jasons biotin shampoo at walmart, didn't find any...
Gosh, I'm sorry. I found it at mine. Healthfood stores would have it and if you have an organic section in your grocery store (for products) I have found it there too.

It's been a few days using the shampoo. OMG, I love how my hair feels. Love, Love, LOVE IT!

mycattaz, I hope you find it soon.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandra Barnet
Stats: 170/130/130
WOE: Low carb. No grains.
Start Date: 2-15-07
I got the shampoo at vitamin shoppe.
Sandra Barnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Gosh, I'm sorry. I found it at mine. Healthfood stores would have it and if you have an organic section in your grocery store (for products) I have found it there too.

It's been a few days using the shampoo. OMG, I love how my hair feels. Love, Love, LOVE IT!

mycattaz, I hope you find it soon.
thanks Tooter, I look again at walmart, just in case I over looked it.... still didn't find it....

But, I am going out of town today I will look for it while I am out of town.... We are going to gatlinburg for a week and I might be able to find it at one of the stores around there... Also I must remember to look at the heath food stores.... thanks again
Old 08-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
You all have intrigued me with this biotin business, so I ordered several bottles of the 5000 to give this a try. I actually will be amazed if I see any change myself -- my hair loss is so long-standing, and I've been able to see my scalp so clearly for years now. But I assume this certainly can't hurt, and besides, my 21 year old son has already started to lose his hair, so this may help him. (Family history of hair loss quite early.) Even if this doesn't reverse the loss I've/we've already experienced, I'm hoping it will slow the rate of future loss, and make what hair I/we still have healthier. <g> I hope to find the shampoo when I go into town today.

Lene'
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gary meyer
shampoo

i took the shampoo back ,it does not lather up without using a lot .i might just take the pills . gary
gary meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Let us know how it works for you also okay? Some are also using the jasons biotin shampoo as well... I thought about giving it a try just for added support but couldn't find it at my superwalmart where others have gotten it...
I use the Jason's. I got it at GNC. Only been using the shampoo and taking the supplements about a week. I'll report results when I see them.
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: ScarletBlonde
Stats: 171.4/135/137
WOE: WW/SB
I wanted to bump this thread. I already take biotin supplements, but decided to try the Jason's shampoo and conditioner. I like how my hair feels.

I got both at GNC, that has them for $9.99 and with the gold card $2.00 off = $7.99 for both. Great deal!!
ScarletBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #86
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Any updates from you ladies that started taking the biotin and using the shampoo when this thread was started last month? Any improvements to tell us about?
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: freyamoon
WOE: VERY low carb(added fiber)good fats only!
I am new to these forums. I came over from another forum when I read about Biotin and this thread was mentioned. There seems to be better info here about this supplement and people's experiences with it.

I just wanted to say that after reading everything on this site I could about Biotin I ordered a bottle of the 5000 dose and am looking forward to trying it out. My hair has been thinning and my nails have always been weak and they split easy. I am hoping the biotin helps with both. It looks like it definitely helps a lot with the nails!

I have seen a few statements that is also helps with the skin.. Can anyone tell me in what ways it has helped with your skin?

I admit I set up an account here just so I could post this message, but I have looked around on other types of threads and I am really liking the atmosphere! I hope to get invloved with this site as I continue my weight loss journey
freyamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #88

My hair is thicker and I can see alot of new growth. I no longer see hair in the sink and drain, nor does my hair shed in the brush (That alone is huge). My nails are amazing!! I have long/strong nails now that I take the time to take care of (paint, file etc..) My skin looks great, but I also use Virgin Coconut oil too.

I'm loving the bitotin
Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Indigo-65
Stats: SW212 CW212 GW145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Everyday!
I must try the Shampoo i have to go to GNC this week.
Indigo-65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:15 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Diva2themax
Stats: 22/20/4
Start Date: Restart Feb. 2012
For the ladies that watned more lash growth. I swear by Mavala Double Lash from whatshebuys.com. I use it on my brows as well for several years now. I always get compliments on my lashes esp. they've gotten longer & thicker. I use it every single night. You can use it during the day as well.
Diva2themax is offline   Reply With Quote