Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeingHealthy
Stats: Female 46, 5'3"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHealthy View Post
I also started taking Biotin a couple weeks ago cuz of the threads here. It seems like my nails are stronger but I think it is too soon to tell for sure. I'm actually hoping it will help my eyelashes. I've had a problem for a couple years. Patches came out and only grew back to 1/3 of the length. I've asked several doctors but none seem to care and just tell me to ask another type of doctor (dermatologist, eye doctor, gen practitioner, etc.) If I see any difference I will def post.
Just wanted to report that I have seen a great improvement with my eyelashes! I am soooo happy. I've had this problem for a couple years, I wish I had known the solution was so simple. Haven't really seen the improvement on my nails like I thought I was seeing. Eyebrows, legs, and pits seem to grow quicker but those always seem to grow too fast - ha ha - hate plucking and shaving.

I don't really have any concerns for my hair so that is not an issue. My main concern (eyelashes) has been improved so I'm so very thankful for the posts about Biotin. I'm going to continue taking it and I hope my nails will get stronger.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
For years I have tried to grow my eyebrows back in (after over plucking) with no results. Since taking the biotin...It's working!!

My nails are stronger and growing. I have noticed a big difference in my hair. I can't wait for 6 months down the road.

I do notice that I have to shave my pits and legs more often. Oh well, it's a trade off I can live with. lol
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
I think I've been taking it for about 4 months now. I lose track. Anyway, since hair typically grows at about 1/2 inch per month, it does take a while to really notice a true difference.

I just kept the faith, put it in my little 7-day pill minder case along with all the other stuff I use. Then one day I pulled my hair back in a clip, and noticed that I had a halo of short hairs sticking straight up out of my longer hair. I nearly FLIPPED with JOY right there!!!

Of course, the hair that hangs lower is not thicker yet -- that will take time. However, I notice that overall it seems to have more body & fluff, probably because with all the new growth, it can't lie flat on my head. I expect by the end of 2007, it should be much, much better.
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rachelocity
WOE: Fitbit/My Fitness Pal
Start Date: Every day I'm shuffling
My eyebrows seem bushier since starting the biotin. It's been two months for me. My hair is shiny and growing fast, and my nails are rock-hard and are growing super-fast, which is great, because I have a family function on September 7 and would love to have a manicure beforehand to pamper myself.

I started using the Jason Biotin Shampoo over the weekend, so my hair will get a double shot of biotin. My 75-year-old mother, whose hair is thinning and lifeless, is also trying the shampoo, but I guess it'll take a while to see any appreciable difference.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post
I think I've been taking it for about 4 months now. I lose track. Anyway, since hair typically grows at about 1/2 inch per month, it does take a while to really notice a true difference.

I just kept the faith, put it in my little 7-day pill minder case along with all the other stuff I use. Then one day I pulled my hair back in a clip, and noticed that I had a halo of short hairs sticking straight up out of my longer hair. I nearly FLIPPED with JOY right there!!!

Of course, the hair that hangs lower is not thicker yet -- that will take time. However, I notice that overall it seems to have more body & fluff, probably because with all the new growth, it can't lie flat on my head. I expect by the end of 2007, it should be much, much better.
Yellobrix, I love not having my hairbrush full of hair!! LOL OMG, I would have to clean it all the time. I just looked at my hairbrush and couldn't believe how clean it is. THAT says alot.

Yes, I have shorter hair and can pull it back and see new hairs sticking straight up. Like you, I can't wait for months down the road to see just how much thicker my hair will truly be, but...I have noticed too, that my hair already has more body and fluff. We'll just be patient...but the results so far are so encouraging.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: dae_tona
Stats: 186/124 5'0 size 2 in misses/sz 7 in juniors
WOE: Eating like a thin person
Start Date: Feb 2002/Maintaining since May 2004
To come think of it, the only Biotin I use is in the Jason's Shampoo yet my nails are starting to get longer and stronger, too. And then I realized why - it's 'cuz I am massaging my scalp with my nails so I am getting biotin on my nails as well (from the shampoo) Now I know why they're growing so long! I love my Jason Biotin shampoo! The capsules never worked for me but the shampoo sure is. Off the subject but I love Jason's Apricot deodrant, too and their Vitamin E Oil! I just love Jason products!

And for once-finally-when I asked my beautician if I needed to get a trim to cut away split ends, she looked it over and said 'nope. you don't even have split ends.' I haven't had my hair trimmed in 3 months so this was good news to me. I owe it to the Jason shampoo!

Dyan
dae_tona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae_tona View Post
To come think of it, the only Biotin I use is in the Jason's Shampoo yet my nails are starting to get longer and stronger, too. And then I realized why - it's 'cuz I am massaging my scalp with my nails so I am getting biotin on my nails as well (from the shampoo) Now I know why they're growing so long! I love my Jason Biotin shampoo! The capsules never worked for me but the shampoo sure is. Off the subject but I love Jason's Apricot deodrant, too and their Vitamin E Oil! I just love Jason products!

And for once-finally-when I asked my beautician if I needed to get a trim to cut away split ends, she looked it over and said 'nope. you don't even have split ends.' I haven't had my hair trimmed in 3 months so this was good news to me. I owe it to the Jason shampoo!

Dyan
You make a very good point. I have also noticed that I hardly have any split ends.

I'm going to have to get the Jason Biotin shampoo. I think I read in this thread (or another) that someone actually found it at Wal-mart?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
I've been taking the Biotin for about 2 months also, and my hair has responded so well........extra shiny, and I have color in it.

The growth pattern is such that I need to get to my stylist once every 4 weeks. It used to be 6-8 weeks. I was blessed with a healthy head of hair, but now it's outta sight!!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
I have had hair problems from PCOS--Drs told me if it's hormone-related, Biotin probably won't work. I am not in the mood for more medication and was taking 5000 mcg. But, I have to say I did something and upped it to 10,000 mcg per day. The only reason I am messing around with that is because I know it's water soluable and my body will just get rid of the excess. BUT, I have to say that although maybe it's too early to tell, I DO feel like it's working. Even DH asked me the other day if my hair was getting better and said it looks nice. For a while, a faint pink part of my scalp was showing through and now, it seems as though it's closing up. May be too soon, but I'm going to continue this for a few months and see what happens. I have noticed not so much hair is coming out in the shower and brush and my nails which always cracked and split before are doing well.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky4 View Post
I have had hair problems from PCOS--Drs told me if it's hormone-related, Biotin probably won't work. I am not in the mood for more medication and was taking 5000 mcg. But, I have to say I did something and upped it to 10,000 mcg per day. The only reason I am messing around with that is because I know it's water soluable and my body will just get rid of the excess. BUT, I have to say that although maybe it's too early to tell, I DO feel like it's working. Even DH asked me the other day if my hair was getting better and said it looks nice. For a while, a faint pink part of my scalp was showing through and now, it seems as though it's closing up. May be too soon, but I'm going to continue this for a few months and see what happens. I have noticed not so much hair is coming out in the shower and brush and my nails which always cracked and split before are doing well.
That's awesome!!! Keep us posted!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #41
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
It really made a difference in your eyelashes and eyebrows?? As I am getting older I notice my eyelashes thinning; I would try the biotin just for that!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #42

Ok, I don't know who said they found Jason's Biotin Shampoo at Wal-mart....

THANK YOU!!! I went to wal-mart this morning and got the shampoo and the condictioner!!! I had never noticed them there before!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gary meyer
jasons

where do you get the jasons biotin shampoo please ? thanks,gary
gary meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary meyer View Post
where do you get the jasons biotin shampoo please ? thanks,gary
At Walmart. Seriously. Someone posted it was there and I went there this morning and sure enough, it was!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #45
Queen Bargain Shopper

So you all take 5000 a day?

I just checked my bottle and they are 1000 mg tablets........
Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #46
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: dae_tona
Stats: 186/124 5'0 size 2 in misses/sz 7 in juniors
WOE: Eating like a thin person
Start Date: Feb 2002/Maintaining since May 2004
How much was the Jason shampoo at Wal-Mart? Cheaper than Fred Meyer at $8 a bottle?

Dyan
dae_tona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #47

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
I take 5000 a day. But uh, I always get confused btn mcg and mg. Cant remember what mine says...
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
I doubled my dose last night to 10,000 mg. I don't know if I am getting any benefit other than my nails growing faster. I started with 5,000 mg on Memorial day. One thing I did notice was that I am having an easier time hiding my scalp when I do my hair in the morning. I have long hair and I pull it up in a clip to hide the thinnning as much as possible. I have to say, my hair is VERY thin. When I get out of the shower, I see lots of white scalp. So it may be that it is working but becuase it was so thin to begin with, it will take a long time to get better. I am not giving up yet, but I have to say I am disappointed it isn't a lot better by now.

faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ahayes
Stats: 177.8/153/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart 6/7/08
Quote:
Speaking of biotin, have you tried Jason's Shampoo with Biotin in it?

I started using that & my hair got ridiculously long in a very short amount of time. But I wanted my hair long so it was a good thing.

Might check it out!

Dyan
Can you buy this shampoo just anywhere? Like grocery stores?
ahayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ahayes
Stats: 177.8/153/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart 6/7/08
I just read the replies, sorry!
ahayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
So it may be that it is working but becuase it was so thin to begin with, it will take a long time to get better. I am not giving up yet, but I have to say I am disappointed it isn't a lot better by now.
I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I read on a message board about hair loss that it takes up to six years for new growth of hair to fill in entirely. Something about hair follicles growing in cycles.... It would logically take a good chunk of time for my new-grown stubble (yay!) to grow out to the same length as the rest of my hair, which I am in the process of growing down to mid-back length. So, it's a test of patientce and faith for me.
Rachelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Sorry, i meant to say that I doubled my does last MONTH, not last night. 6 years? BLAH! That is a looong time! You mean just to get to the length my hair is now? That wouldn't matter to me becuase I would love to get it cut if it does fill in with the new hair. I have avoided doing anything with it for years becuase I am so embarrassed by how thin it is. But I have heard it takes 4-6 months for a new growth cycle to start, so I am definitely waiting that long. Hopefully it will happen and as long as i see some improvement i will keep taking it and seeing if it improves.
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

I also thought of getting The Britney, as it is probably now referred to. But I decided that once in my lifetime was enough, as I got a buzzcut when I grew in my gray hair. So I am waiting and going for trims every two months to make sure that everything grows in as nicely and evenly as posible, and by next year, I'll be having the new growth trimmed. I guess the "six years" was for people with really long hair, because if hair grows at the typical rate of six inches a year, even factoring in a few extra months for the restarting would be a respectable amount over the course of a year. Ask me again in 2013.
Rachelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #54

Quote:
How much was the Jason shampoo at Wal-Mart? Cheaper than Fred Meyer at $8 a bottle?

Dyan
Yep. $5.86 for the Shampoo and the same price for the condictioner.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(190)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013
My nails are growing faster and stronger... my hair still sucks, but I had a horrible "trim" a few weeks ago and I'm waiting for that to become manageable .... My biggest concern with the biotin is that I'd had laser hair removal on my face which took over a year (and a considerable amount of $$) and now I'm afraid that all of that hard-earned $$ will be wasted! Haven't seen any increase in hair growth for any of the hair areas yet... why doesn't it just grow where and how we want it!!!
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gary meyer
jasons

anybody know how much biotin is in the shampoo ? just to compare to the supplements. i think their also is ginsing in a lot of these thickening shampoos . gary
gary meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary meyer View Post
anybody know how much biotin is in the shampoo ? just to compare to the supplements. i think their also is ginsing in a lot of these thickening shampoos . gary
Yes, ginsing is in it also. I Used it for the first time tonight and it did make my hair feel really good.

Gary, here is some info I got off the net on Jason's biotin shampoo:

Natural Biotin ShampooHair Fortifying 70% Organic

Natural Biotin Shampoo
Hair Fortifying

No Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates
Enriched with Marigold, Ginseng and Chamomile Promotes Natural and Healthy Hair Growth

JASON Biotin Shampoo is formulated to gently cleanse hair and scalp and help alleviate dry, itchy scalp, repair damaged hair and split ends with "bio-active" Natural Biotin, Planthenol-3TM, Certified Organic Extracts of Marigold, Chamomile, and Ginseng plus Aloe Vera, Natural Vitamin E, Vitamins A and C, and 22 Keratin Amino Acids.

16 FL OZ
Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 AM   #58
Queen Bargain Shopper

Tooter - thanks for the info on the shampoo......I am going to look for it at Walmart. Was it in with the regular brand name stuff?

DD17 has been taking 1000 mgs a day of the biotin. Her hair was short last year and she wanted it to get long....I know the biotin had to have had something to do with it.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
Tooter - thanks for the info on the shampoo......I am going to look for it at Walmart. Was it in with the regular brand name stuff?

DD17 has been taking 1000 mgs a day of the biotin. Her hair was short last year and she wanted it to get long....I know the biotin had to have had something to do with it.
Yes, it was right there with the rest of the shampoos. Take your time and just look for it. It will be with the higher end shampoos.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Yellobrix, I love not having my hairbrush full of hair!! LOL OMG, I would have to clean it all the time. I just looked at my hairbrush and couldn't believe how clean it is. THAT says alot.

Yes, I have shorter hair and can pull it back and see new hairs sticking straight up. Like you, I can't wait for months down the road to see just how much thicker my hair will truly be, but...I have noticed too, that my hair already has more body and fluff. We'll just be patient...but the results so far are so encouraging.
I must admit that I have become weirdly obsessive about checking the shower drain each week to see how much I've lost. Of course, some loss is normal, but it has definitely slowed dramatically! And it used to be, when I would put any type of product in my hair, loads of it would stick to my hands and I'd have to rinse it all off.

Just like you, I notice that my hairbrush is not longer clogged. Probably the best thing is that I am not constantly picking hairs off of my shoulders.

For me -- it's not only fantastic that new hairs are growing, but also that the loss has most definitely returned to a normal rate instead of frighteningly fast!
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote