Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
Some stuff I found

Quote:
Biotin plays a significant part in the prevention of hair loss. Most nutritionists agree that biotin is one of the important vitamins for supporting hair growth. It is also commonly advised to take biotin to supplement medical treatments such Minoxidil or Propecia.

A deficiency of biotin may cause hair to become frail and unhealthy, and hair breakage, which may result in hair loss. Biotin also keeps your skin and nails healthy as well as being an important element of new hair growth. Supplements are sometimes needed to return biotin levels to normal, but it is recommended to include biotin regularly in your diet. Two foods containing good quantities of biotin are liver and egg yolks. You would have to eat thousands of calories worth daily to get enough for your hair needs, which is why I would also suggest biotin supplements.

Foods full of biotin include brewer's yeast, green peas, oats, soybeans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, green peas, bulgur and brown rice. In terms of the egg yolks, your body's ability to digest and assimilate biotin decreases with high intake levels of protein. Biotin binds easily to proteins, making it unavailable to your body, which in turn causes biotin deficiency and hair loss. Try to steer clear of raw eggs in your diet, and cut down on protein powders and bars. Use one of the many shampoos that contain biotin and silica.

Additionally, those with type A blood don't have the ability to fully absorb B vitamins. Biotin is classified as a Vitamin B, so if you have Type A blood, adding higher doses of 5-8 grams twice daily will be needed to help prevent hair loss. At this time, there are no known side effects at this dosage level.

People suffering from heartburn, acid reflux, or GERD and who are taking antacids may absorb biotin less and hair loss may occur as a result. Therefore watch your use of over-the-counter antacids if you are worried about hair loss.
Quote:
Natural Hair Loss Remedies

B-vitamin deficiencies are common. Some people, especially people who are blood type A, do not absorb B vitamins very well from food. In particular a vitamin in the B family called biotin is crucial for proper hair and nail growth. In high doses, 5-8 grams (5000-8000 mg) daily of biotin can be effective in restoring head-hair growth, with no known side-effects. Some specialty shampoos feature biotin for this reason.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #272
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Wow... thanks for posting that Allie!! I have A type blood so perhaps that is why I don't absorb biotin very well.. I also am B12 deficient.

My last visit or actually 2 visits ago my hairdresser again complained about how thick my hair is and because it is that and curly it is hard to brush out.. she isn't as gentle as I am so I have started to have to comb my hair after she shampoos it while she gets stuff ready to cut it. lol It is still as thick as it has been... holding strong with very little loss (just normal loss).. I still take my 5000 mcg biotin most every day though sometimes I skip here and there because I forget and if I skip tooooooo long.. My scalp will start itching giving me advance warning that if I don't start taking it again it will start falling out.

So here is one success story.. I have been taking it for more then 3 years now..have had bloodwork taken and everything has been looking pretty good.

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #273

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
I've just started 5000 at night a few weeks ago. I always 'shed' a little when I lose weight but I have been under a lot of stress lately and I am on a migraine med that can cause- you guessed it-- hair loss. I am tapering off the migraine med and will go on something else. Dealing with the stress other ways.
Hoping the biotin works, my hair is rather thick and at the last haircut my stylist decided to thin it. Bad timing. Wish me luck. Send out thick thoughts!
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #274

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
i am type A as well! wow i wouldn't have ever put that together! my nails are way better! one nail that i injured as a preteen and always had a large line down it , and split in two if it got long has healed...now long and strong and growing fast! no spitting and not a hint of the line! i have been taking 2500 mcg a day of B-12 along with my reg. morning and night multi(which has a good amount of biotin 2500mcg) so that and my Jason's shampoo has improved my hair as well! my wally world doesn't carry Jason's any more so when i run out i need another resource
HCG start 351.2 DS14 339.2 DH 223.4
my facebook 179.75 miles DS1612.75 miles
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #275

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
I started taking Biotin at the 1000 and then at the 5000 dose levels. I have been doing it a couple of months and have noticed that the continual loss of hair when I blow dry it has lessened and I don't have to grab the loose hairs from my comb after I wash it. It hasn't noticeably changed otherwise, but I had good hair, I just didn't know how I could keep on losing so much of it.

I also noticed, to my huge surprise, that my eyelashes are much longer and fuller! Yea!!!! I pretty much was used to the sparse look, but they are so much nicer now. I'm going to see about getting them dyed to show them off a bit better.

As far as my nails go, about a month ago I noticed that my artificial nails were just not lasting nearly as long as they should... whether they were growing out faster or because of a new hand cream, I didn't know, but the edges kept letting dirt build up under, so I had them off. So, the ends are still very fragile, but there's an actual lump at the base to mid nail where they thicken up considerably. I think there's much more there than there was before. I should be seeing the good nail in another month to 6 weeks.

I'm so excited about all these changes.

I don't have A blood, but my mom was told that we didn't absorb vitamins properly when we were kids, and had some minor, but odd, skin issues.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
I wonder if I should be taking my 5g twice daily? I don't know my blood type.

Last edited by girl81; 03-14-2008 at 07:14 PM..
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
I'm type A - I haven't seen massive improvements with anything yet really. Been taking 5,000 mg daily for... oh more than 6 months now.

I guess I'm seeing slight improvement with my nails, although the constant dishwashing seems to destroy them no matter what, and the winter weather hasn't helped either - they're still breaking easily.

Maybe since I'm type A, I should increase it to twice a day? Or up the B-12? Or both?
Madam De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
So should I be taking the biotin at night???If so , why?
DolphinsOnMyMind777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #279

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinsOnMyMind777 View Post
I believe the reason people take biotin at night is because, like vitamin C, you will pee out any excess. If you take it at night, you aren't drinking and pee'ing like you would be during the day. I think the "theory" is that you would then have more Biotin in your system to work with.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #280

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
someone was talking about Jason's Biotin Shampoo being discontinued from Wal Mart? If you live in the south they carry it in my Publix Supermarket in the Organics section.
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
I wonder if I should be taking my 5000mg twice daily? I don't know my blood type.
bump
Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/139.6/150 5'6" 31y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinsOnMyMind777 View Post
I've actually heard the opposite--- since as a B vitamin it can increase energy-- making it hard to fall asleep!
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dblyn
Stats: 125 goal
WOE: Atkins/ HCG
Start Date: April 2004 1/2010 HCG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha42 View Post
I've actually heard the opposite--- since as a B vitamin it can increase energy-- making it hard to fall asleep!
I take mine every morning. I wouldnt dare switch to night time if thats true about sleep problems, i have enough trouble with that already Oh well what im doing is working. Ive been taking it since January and there is no more hair loss I have fingernails again for the first time in a year.Im extremely happy Im getting my annual gyno check first of april and a thyroid test done. I will be sure to tell my doctor how great Biotin has been for my hair.
Dblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #284
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/05
I'm excited to try this! my hair has been thinning also.
Thanks everyone for the info!!!!!
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
I've been taking 5000 of the biotin every day for about 3 months now in addition to using the Jason's Biotin Shampoo and I've unfortunately seen no difference in my hair. My hair in front is so thin that you can see my scalp through it. I am hypothyroid and my levels are fine. Mary Shomon suggests taking Evening Primrose Oil to help with hair loss if you're hypothyroid. I just started that a couple weeks ago. I sure hope it helps.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
I have been taking 10, 000 mcg of Biotin for 3 months and NOTHING. My hair loss has continued and like the above poster, my scalp is visible in the front.
And my nails are just as brittle as before.

My thyroid is within normal limits with Synthroid.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tinkerloo
Stats: 171/151/125
WOE: CAD
Start Date: April 2008
Hi All -
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and see what happens. I've got 20 years of hair thinning behind me and seem to be going through a new shed. (Diet related? not sure) I can't believe of all the doctors throughout the years, nobody, not one has suggested that I even try this - regardless of whether it will work for me or not, it could have offered HOPE - something that none of them ever had - not that they had any answers either. So we'll see. It certainly can't hurt. I've just ordered both the shampoo and 5mg Biotin.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the information and sharing your stories -
-Tink
Tinkerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerloo View Post
Hi All -
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and see what happens. I've got 20 years of hair thinning behind me and seem to be going through a new shed. (Diet related? not sure) I can't believe of all the doctors throughout the years, nobody, not one has suggested that I even try this - regardless of whether it will work for me or not, it could have offered HOPE - something that none of them ever had - not that they had any answers either. So we'll see. It certainly can't hurt. I've just ordered both the shampoo and 5mg Biotin.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the information and sharing your stories -
-Tink
Good luck Tink!
Do you take fish oils?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tinkerloo
Stats: 171/151/125
WOE: CAD
Start Date: April 2008
I do - although it hasn't been a regular thing - but is now!

At the moment I'm taking 1000 mg (?) of krill oil and was taking another type prior so I guess it's been about 2 months that it's been consistent.

Any suggestions or recommendations in that department?

-Tink
Tinkerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #290
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Hey Tink... if you are not getting the results like you had hoped I would up my biotin. Most are taking 5000 mcg of biotin.. some even more. So many people are loving the results. Try it and wait a month or so.. and next time you go to the hairdresser ask her/him if they see the new hair growth.. because they comb through the hair so much, they can see it a lot better then we can... especially in the back. I am fixing to go to my hair dresser on Thursday and I just know she is going to complain that I have way too much hair again.

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #291
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: all_honesty
ABOUT JASON'S SHAMPOO

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY THE JASON'S BIOTIN SHAMPOO????? I'M ALREADY TAKING THE VITAMIN BUT I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO USE THE SHAMPOO....THANK YOU!
all_honesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/161/110 5'2" w/ shoes
I started taking the recommended dose of 5000 mg of Biotin back in Oct. 07 and started to see results very soon. My "glob" of hair after my shower diminished and I was starting to see some new growth. Recently that "glob" has gotten huge again and my hair seems to be thinning. I have not changed much in my diet or dosage of Biotin. Why would it stop working? Should I double the dosage and if I do will I have to continue to up the dosage? Sorry so many questions, just hoping someone has experienced this and can help. Can you OD on Biotin?? Thanks for any help.
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Jenny, my hair has always been thick and full, even before I took Biotin, but my problem is now with my nails.

When I first started taking Biotin, I noticed my nails were getting stronger and less likely to chip. For whatever reason, after taking Biotin for so long, I've noticed my nails have become weaker.

I've stopped the Biotin, and am experimenting to see what my body may be lacking.

I take the full specturm of vitamins and minerals, but I'm suspecting iodine deficiency, of all things.

I'm wondering if I may be deficient in other minerals, as well, so am having a full test done by my homeopath.

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #294

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_honesty View Post
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY THE JASON'S BIOTIN SHAMPOO????? I'M ALREADY TAKING THE VITAMIN BUT I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO USE THE SHAMPOO....THANK YOU!
i think they said Target still has it...our walmart doesn't
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/161/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Thanks Sazzie! I did up my dosage so we'll see. I did notice already that the glob of hair after shampooing is less again after I doubled my dosage. Let us know what you find out with your experimentation!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 228/211/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Hi, everybody. I'm jumping on the biotin bandwagon with you. I've had major, major stress the past 8 months (two different things) and my hair is going down the drain like crazy. I talked with my hairdresser yesterday and she talked to me about what to look for in shampoos, conditioning treatments, and B vitamins, like biotin and B-6 (or did she say B-12?). I bought a bottle of B vitamins with all of the right amounts in it today (I took my notes with me to make sure I looked for and bought the right thing). I have to use the shampoo I have; can't afford to do anything else at the moment (and I mean, I really can't). So...here's hoping the vitamins work for me.
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #297
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DEBI IN OHIO
Stats: 235.5/-----/150ish?
WOE: Diabetic.lower carbs
Start Date: 05/01, restart 2/22/08 again
I have taken Biotin 5,000 for months, I was taking a smaller dose before that, I have even added a Prenatal Daily Vitamin, its not helping my hair loss at all..my nails have improved some, but now are once again splitting. This all started in 2001 the first time I did strict low carb for a year, before that I had super thick hair..
DEBI IN OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBI IN OHIO View Post
I have taken Biotin 5,000 for months, I was taking a smaller dose before that, I have even added a Prenatal Daily Vitamin, its not helping my hair loss at all..my nails have improved some, but now are once again splitting. This all started in 2001 the first time I did strict low carb for a year, before that I had super thick hair..
Do you take fish oil supps?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Just reporting in that after about 8 or 9 months of taking 5,000 mcg of biotin daily, I had upped it to 10,000 mcg/day, which I did for the last couple of months.

My nails are suddenly extremely thick, strong and growing like crazy. Actually, they usually grow like crazy though, they just weren't this thick and strong.

I don't think it's doubling the dosage that did it, since nails take so long to grow out (at least 6 months, and I'd only upped the dosage maybe 2 or 3 months ago), I think the old weak parts have just finally finished growing out.

Either that, or it's just that there's less damage during the summer, since the weather isn't been so cold and drying.

Either way, I think I'll continue with the 10k mcg until the weather gets really cold to see what happens, and if my nails continue to look so good, I'll cut it back to 5k mcg again and wait to see if they're still so strong.

Too bad that noticing the changes take so many months - it'd be so nice to see the changes from biotin showing up after only a couple weeks, so you'd know what dose you should really be taking.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Madam,
Have you noticed hair difference?