Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purple Sage
Stats: LCHF no scale - goal size 8 & healthy 14/14/8
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 1, 2005 Atkins :'( restart April 2014
How much Biotin?

Okay, hair is still falling out...getting kind of thin, enough that I can feel it when I am combing it.

Today I went to walmart and bought some biotin to take to help with hair loss but I am wondering how much it is recommended that we take to stop hair loss? Also, I am contemplating getting a perm so I look like I have more hair. Anyone else get a perm at this point? Did it make your hair fall out more or is it okay when your hair is falling out so bad?
Purple Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
I take 5000 Biotin daily AND 2 fish oil capsules. Make sure you hair is falling from the WOE first--I have PCOS and that also does it. Also make sure you getting your general vitamins as well. If your hair is only falling and not breaking off, a perm probably won't hurt much. But, notice if the hair is also brittle or breaking off easily--then I would stay away from a perm until the shaft thickens. My hair is MUCH better than before--but as I said, I have a double whammy--it took about 6 months for it to start coming back--and I also take natural progesterone as well. If you get a perm--go to someone very good and tell them about the falling first--a good cosmetologist will not recommend a perm if she/he thinks the hair is weak. I went to someone once who literally fried my hair--then when it was so kinky curly, she suggested a straightener--my DH told me NEVER to go back and it took over a year and a half to get back to where it was (by cutting little by little)

This is strictly a rumor--don't know if it works or not but there could be something to it--once a person told me she crushes birth control pills, adds a little egg white and massages it into the scalp--go figure--but her hair did look great. The only reason I mention it here is that my hair was thinning due to an imbalance of hormones and I have too much male hormones. For me that's why the natural progesterone is helping. I also read to keep the scalp washed frequently because the male hormones can build up in the sweat/oil and re-penetrate back into the hair follicle. Now, whether or not this is all true, I have to clue. But, thought I'd post it--may get some interesting conclusions one way or another Oh, stress will cause fall-out too--if you have it, get it under control or nothing you try will work.
Hope things get better for you!
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:41 AM   #3
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
I take about 4000 Biotin a day, my hair is grwoing and getting stronger- as is my nails. Also with any change in a diet you will lose hair. It takes about 3-4 months for the body to adjust.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purple Sage
Stats: LCHF no scale - goal size 8 & healthy 14/14/8
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 1, 2005 Atkins :'( restart April 2014
Well, the hair is healthy and it is coming in in hundreds of little sprouts! Anyway it is just falling out from the roots. I don't have any hormone issues...all very normal. I just hope the new hair grows quickly and I think that the fact that it is coming in is a good thing!
Purple Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Diamondlv
WOE: Meat/Egg Fast and Atkins 72
Start Date: first time= 10/1997 now= 08/03/05
I take 5000 mcg from Vitamin World.... sometimes twice a day. I have always had thin hair and with the chemicals I got in the past my hair was falling out all the time. I take it now to maintain my hair and grow it out, since I had to cut it short back in November, now my hair is growing at a normal to faster pace.....
Diamondlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan5767
Stats: 254/145/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 07/01/2004
I take 5,000 mcg of Biotin per day along with zinc per my hairdresser along with a good multivitamin. My hair has definitely improved.
Susan5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shorty_34D
WOE: atkins
I am also losing alot of hair i have looked for this biotin you guys are talking about and cannot find it anywhere. Do they sell it where they sell all the other vitamins?
shorty_34D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbGamer
Stats: 5'3" age 43
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Resstart Aug 2007
I take Hair, Nails & Skin Vitamins from GNC, I looked and 2 tablets has only 2500 mg of Biotin. Should I be taking more? My hair is still falling out.
LoCarbGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #9
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
I take 5,000 mcg's of Biotin daily along with my other supplements. The hair loss is very temporary and I believe it is largely due to the dramatic lifestyle change, and not so much to do with low-carbing itself.

If your dermatologist/doctor suggests that you take Biotin, maybe you could incorporate Rogaine as well? It's pretty effective!
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:44 AM   #10
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I mentioned Nutri-ox (generic brand of the much more expensive Nioxin brand) shampoo & conditioners to you once before. My hairloss slowed dramatically after the first use. It is available at Sally's Beauty Supply & probably other beauty supply stores, as well. I use it in addition to Biotin (I take 2000-3000mcg). You will find different dosages of Biotin recommended by different sources.

Shorty, biotin is a very common & inexpensive supplement. In the states we find it at drugstores, WalMart-type stores, health food stores, even some grocery stores.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mskatok
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty_34D View Post
I am also losing alot of hair i have looked for this biotin you guys are talking about and cannot find it anywhere. Do they sell it where they sell all the other vitamins?

I live in Wash. DC and many of the vitimine stores sell biotin ...... Vitimin World, Vitimin Shopp, GNC is a bit pricey but you can find it there.
mskatok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slickchick
I've even seen it at walmart - however not in the same size -- less. So you would have to take more to equal 5000 mcg. I noticed tho, when I did that I had some acne -- because each 'pill' has some type of filler - so the more smaller pills you take the more filler you get.
slickchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ummrashid
Stats: 322/284 and pregnant/150'ish
WOE: ??????
Start Date: March 9, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
Okay, hair is still falling out...getting kind of thin, enough that I can feel it when I am combing it.

Today I went to walmart and bought some biotin to take to help with hair loss but I am wondering how much it is recommended that we take to stop hair loss? Also, I am contemplating getting a perm so I look like I have more hair. Anyone else get a perm at this point? Did it make your hair fall out more or is it okay when your hair is falling out so bad?
I am shedding really bad as well, I already take biotin 3000 mcg but I will try to up it to 6000mcg . if i keep this up I will be skinny but BALD!!!!
ummrashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ummrashid
Stats: 322/284 and pregnant/150'ish
WOE: ??????
Start Date: March 9, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I mentioned Nutri-ox (generic brand of the much more expensive Nioxin brand) shampoo & conditioners to you once before. My hairloss slowed dramatically after the first use. It is available at Sally's Beauty Supply & probably other beauty supply stores, as well. I use it in addition to Biotin (I take 2000-3000mcg). You will find different dosages of Biotin recommended by different sources.

Shorty, biotin is a very common & inexpensive supplement. In the states we find it at drugstores, WalMart-type stores, health food stores, even some grocery stores.

Is there another name for this shampoo, somthing maybe a pharmacy may carry or you can order online, Im out of the states, no sally's here.
ummrashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mimiPhD2B
Stats: pant size: 20/20/8
Start Date: March 5, 2008
I lost most of my hair (about 75%) after a bone infection. It was a condition called Telogen Effluvium. My dermatologist diagnosed it and gave me a topical steroid cream to kick start the hair growth. I only used that for about a month with minimal results.

I found this AWESOME shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in treatment at Sally's Beauty Supply called Nutri-Ox. GET IT. It worked wonders for me and I now have a head full of beautiful, strong hair. I get compliments on it all the time. People ask if they can touch it all the time...it looks unreal! I have tried to stop using it now that all of my hair is back, but it just doesn't look as healthy when I use anything else.

The shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in treatment come seperately or all together in a 30-day trial pack. Start out with the trial pack and once you are done with that you should start seeing some results. I now get them all seperately. It has been about 2 years now and I still LOVE this stuff. I suggest it to everyone who asks, "What in the world do you use on your hair?". Hair dressers, friends, family...everyone has asked and I have pointed them to Sally's. Best stuff in the world!

Last edited by mimiPhD2B; 05-20-2008 at 02:50 PM..
mimiPhD2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

oops...didn't realize someone else had mentioned Nutri-Ox. Oh well, it is the best stuff ever! I will look when I get home from work to see what company makes the stuff and maybe you can contact them directly.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Found the website...

Zotos International
Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cathyzz
It takes only 3 to 6 dollars in some natural health care products which is also rich in vitamins H or B7.

Last edited by cathyzz; 05-20-2008 at 08:33 PM..
cathyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I take about 4000 Biotin a day, my hair is grwoing and getting stronger- as is my nails. Also with any change in a diet you will lose hair. It takes about 3-4 months for the body to adjust.

do you take all at once or half in the morning other half in the evening..i bought 1000 mcg..bottle.
Tracy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy45 View Post
do you take all at once or half in the morning other half in the evening..i bought 1000 mcg..bottle.
Your body will use more of it if you split the dose. I'd start with 2-3 capsules per day and increase only if you don't see results. Most people don't need 5000mcg to see good results & taking all at once means a lot is wasted. You should take the least amount possible to see results.

You should be seeing results in under a month.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jordan87
U need 2 drink Green Tea...it's HIGH in anti-inflamatory & that makes ur hair stronger. I'v had great succsess with it. Get real green tea. Organic green tea...not that botteled stuff.
jordan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
I take 5 mgs of biotin every night along with MSM to increase circulation (get that blood flowing to the scalp!). That, along with a good multi to cover my bases.
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: green flame
i am losing alot of my hair from more than 6 yrs.. now i start using biotin 300..
can anyone plz tell me whats the difference in biotin 300, 1000 or 5000 & which should i use?
green flame is offline   Reply With Quote