Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Bad Cravings? Try this!

If you just can't get control over your cravings it may not be all about "will power." You may be lacking in some important nutrients. I learned about this from The Diet Cure and have been amazed at how well they work. Taking the correct dosage at the right times is important to how well they work.

To put an end to cravings for sweets & starches, try a combo of glutamine & chromium. This usually eliminates cravings in 24 hours.
  • 500-1500mg L-glutamine first thing in the morning, midmorning, & midafternoon
  • 200mcg Chromium with breakfast, lunch, dinner & at bedtime
If you overeat to help you deal with emotional pain try adding DLPA at the time you take glutamine.
  • 500-1000mg DLPA (DL-phenylalanine)
For relief in 10 minutes in case of [COLOR=red]EMERGENCY[/COLOR]
  • 500mg L-glutamine taken by opening a capsule under your tongue
  • Glutamine and DLPA are amino acids & are found naturally in protein.
  • Start with the lowest dosage suggested. If you don't feel relief within 30 minutes add a bit more.
  • Amino acids should be taken at least 20 minutes before eating protein.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2005, 04:45 AM   #2
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Chromium helps me a lot. But as far as the others....I've always said that if I was craving, I eat some more protein...so that must be why I've never really needed them. I'm already getting them, lol. Good post Deb, nice to see you over here.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #3
Resident Trans Fat Expert

Gallery: Matt
Stats: 370/200/170
WOE: Low GI / south beach type diet
Start Date: Low GI Started: 4-05
i cut out artificial sweetner additions and my cravings are completely gone... could also work for others im sure.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Y0-Y0
Stats: H265/PO260/SW254/CW148/G165(1st)/G140(Rvsd)
WOE: VSG
Start Date: 5/2/13
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
i cut out artificial sweetner additions and my cravings are completely gone... could also work for others im sure.
I can't seem to cut out the sweets completly. More honestly it is probably that I don't wan't to, and it just feels like I can't. But either way. I still have to have something sweet from time to time. right now i have been having a sweet every day. Either a hot chocolate or a chocolate milk or a diet soda or a reeses one carb bar (i also tried the low carb lava cake recpipe fromt he recipe help board and it was really good) I know I should cut out alot of these things. I am stalled, and have been for over 4 weeks now. I know what I have to do to start the scale moving again (cut out the sweets and junk). I just can't seem to do it right now.

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
-Albert Einstein
Y0-Y0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #5

Pam, I have learned that even eating plenty of protein isn't always enough. Things like stress can deplete you of what you need. The Diet Cure gives info on how to eat to get the correct nutrients & that supposedly often corrects the problem within 6 months or so. Then many people find they no longer need the supps.

Matt, I agree artificial sweeteners can trigger cravings. I use stevia.

Yo-Yo, these supps may help you end the cravings. If it's always chocolate you crave, your catecholamines (dopamine, norepinephrine & adrenaline) are probably low. Chocolate is often craved when that happens because it is stimulating--like a pep pill. The amino acid l-tyrosine can help; it is used to produce more cats so you have plenty of energy & don't need the chocolate.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-01-2005 at 08:58 AM..
Old 03-01-2005, 08:59 AM   #6
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
I hear ya.... I cut mine out last week and it hasn't been a problem! Matter of fact I cut back on some of my Vitamins, CHromium, and l-glutamin
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: wannaloosewt
Stats: 217/174/125 down 43 pounds!!!
WOE: Paula Deen Style! Well,the buttah anyway!
Start Date: Restart I ain't gonna! 5'7
Thank you Deb! Thats great info. My glute? vitiamins are pills.I wonder if I crushed them and put them under my tounge if that would help? My "craveings" now that I'm in ketosis come more from wanting or boredom than need. It took ALL I had yesterday not to eat cookies. I'm so glad I didn't because the scales worked for me this am! I have a Rival snow cone machine and I'm constantly eating plain ice just to be doing something! I have a bad cold and can't do anything else right now! Thanks Again!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Oh, and many different uses for same supps. Because L-tyrosine is used to slow the thyroid down in hyPER (Graves) patients.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
LilMissB27

Gallery: LilMissB27
this seriously works?
I am horrible with this and binge like crazy and cannot control my cravings for the life of me. Hence the reason why I've gained back all of the weight I've lost.

If this helps, I will be payin you a visit and giving you the BIGGEST hug.......
Old 03-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by LilMissB27
this seriously works?
I am horrible with this and binge like crazy and cannot control my cravings for the life of me. Hence the reason why I've gained back all of the weight I've lost.

If this helps, I will be payin you a visit and giving you the BIGGEST hug.......
Yes, this really works.

Check out the book the Diet Cure, by Julia Ross. There also a website by the same name. I have NEVER been so impressed with supplement info! Taking the supps she suggests when she says to take them brings noticable results. I had taken some of the supps before but not as she suggests. I never noticed they did any good until I tried them her way. I was floored by the difference. I'm under a boatload of stress & cravings are extremely difficult to control. I miss my supps & I can tell, too. That's my struggle--remembering to taking them.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:25 PM   #11
LilMissB27

that is awesome. Maybe there is hope for me!

thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by LilMissB27
that is awesome. Maybe there is hope for me!

thanks
Any time! Good luck!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #13
LilMissB27

ok so today before work I took l-glutamine. And voila, no cravings.......I wasnt hungry at all today. SO I come home, munch on some ham and cheese and drink my L of water and voila, no cravings...........

hmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I CAN do this.......

thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:51 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: Do whatever ya want, cuz today I'm handin out lollipops and ass-whoopins,and I'm all outta lollipops
Gallery: Rolleen
Thanks for this information. I got the book from the library yesterday. Going to go get some l-glutamine today. I hope it works. Its not the hunger that gets me, its those darn cravings.

Is there a special brand we should be buying?

Thanks again,

Rolleen
Rolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
I have also been told GTF Chromium is the best. What do you think Deb?
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: Do whatever ya want, cuz today I'm handin out lollipops and ass-whoopins,and I'm all outta lollipops
Jonah's Granny, In the book the Diet Cure by Julia Ross she says " All forms of chromium (picolinate, GTF, and others) seem to us to be equally effective.

I thought I read in the Carbohydrate Addicts book that it said not to use the picolinate. I can't remember for sure.

Do you think the GTF is the best one to buy? I'm going to buy some today when I get my l-glutamine. Let me know what you think.

Rolleen
Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Actually it was a lady on another board who does CAD that said the Hellar's recommended GTF Chromium. It is more expensive and hard to find. Just about have to go to a health food store. She also told me to not take the picolinate as you said. Don't know if the GTF is any better but it is what I take.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Guitarman76
Stats: 212/191/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: Dec. 2004
This is really good to know, thank you!! I don't have 1 sugar tooth, but 26!!
Guitarman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: erikak1970
Stats: 185(?)/139
WOE: Atkins & Just plain lowcarb
Start Date: 11/2002
Just chiming in with another one who uses chromium. (not so much L-Glutamine any more...but have been thinking about adding it back in...) and yeah, it works great.

Also I've heard if one does crave chocolate, it may be because they're low on magnesium. I've tried this before, too, and taking magnesium supplements does cut the chocolate craving out. (but I do love the chocolate...so I don't do this all the time )
erikak1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Jonah's Granny. Thanks for the reply. We have a GNC health food store in our mall. Going there this afternoon.

Guitarman, Me too. Not sure if I have 26 or 28.

Erikak1970, I have heard that also about magnesium. As much chocolate as I eat it seems like I must not have any magnesium in me.

Rolleen
Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sarahm19
Start Date: Dec 8th, 2004
Wow, I didnt know they worked like that! I used to take Glutamine powder when I had a muscle tear last year (but it tasted bad and was 40 calories per scoop.) How many calories are in the pills you take?
sarahm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:26 PM   #22

Ann, I've never tried GTF. I have always used chromium picolinate & it has worked fine for me. I've used different brands but usually Vitamin World's. Usually, I can find the best price on quality supplements there.

Glutamine is available in capsule & powder form. The pills can be pretty expensive. I have only used the powder form.

Sara, was there something else mixed in with your glutamine? Mine doesn't have any other ingredient & no calories that I know of. I don't mind the taste, either. I put it under my tongue. Glutamine is supposed to be the only good-tsting amino acid.

Carrie, I've also heard about magnesium for choclate cravings, too, but have never tried it.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-08-2005 at 11:28 PM..
Old 03-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Went to Walmart last night and got my L-Glutamine and Chromium. I actually think it is helping with the cravings. So far today no cravings and I'm not very hungry. I usually get really bad cravings around 2:30- 3:30 in the afternoon and then again later in the evening. I think I will take some more L-Glutamine about 2:00. DD has a dentist appt. at 3 and a hair cut at 4. It usually helps with the cravings if I am busy during that time.

Thanks again Deb for posting this.

Rolleen
Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Carol21950
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
it is used to produce more cats
Just what I don't need, more cats! I already have two, and they're crazy! Plus, they shed.

Carol21950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sarahm19
Start Date: Dec 8th, 2004
No, the glutamine I used was not mixed with anything. It said it was pure. I've asked on a bodybuilding forum before, whether glutamine had calories and they laughed at me and said duh and then explained something about its scientific structure that I didnt understand. They said something like it naturally has 4 calories per gram or something like that. I'm just surprised it always says it on powders but never pills. I dont get it. But even pills like fish oils tell you how many calories they have, even if its a small amount like 10. Hmph.
I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
sarahm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #26

My powder doesn't say but I checked and I guess glutamine does have a few calories. I never really thought about it before. I just watch for calories from additives like sugars or starches. I'd think if one has the calories the other would, too. That doesn't make sense unless the powder form is made with added ingredients.

lol@ your "cat" comment Carol!
Old 03-10-2005, 04:43 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Carol21950
WOE: Atkins
Thanks, Deb. I have a weird sense of humor!

Besides, when I get on the computer, one of my cats insists on getting in my lap. Then she wants to "wash" my hands. I try not to let her, because she will drool and it will get in the keyboard.

This is strange because normally, she won't get in anyone's lap, ever.
Carol21950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #28
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: locarbruth
Pam,
Does that mean if we take this, we risk slowing down our thyroid and metabolism?

Quote:
Oh, and many different uses for same supps. Because L-tyrosine is used to slow the thyroid down in hyPER (Graves) patients.

Last edited by locarbruth; 03-10-2005 at 07:35 AM..
locarbruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by locarbruth
Pam,
Does that mean if we take this, we risk slowing down our thyroid and metabolism?
I found the following precaution about amino acids on The Mood Cure site.

USING AMINO ACIDS: PRECAUTIONS

If you have: overactive thyroid (Grave’s disease), PKU (phenylketonuria) or Melanoma; Do NOT take: L-tyrosine, DL-phenylalanine, or L-phenylalanine

Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner before taking any amino acids if any of the following statements apply to you:

· You react to supplements, foods or medications with unusual or uncomfortable symptoms
· You have serious physical illness, particularly cancer
· You have severe liver or kidney problems
· You have an ulcer (amino acids are slightly acidic)
· You are pregnant or nursing
· You have schizophrenia or other mental illness
· You are taking any medications for mood problems, particularly MAO inhibitors or more than one SSRI

Even if your doctor agrees that you can try amino acids (or any other nutrients), if you experience discomfort of any kind after taking them, stop taking them immediately.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
Hi
I wanted to try these supplements in the right combo and timing you have listed! I had everything in the house but my chromium picolinate is 500 mcg a capsule. When I try to convert to mg I get a ridiculous number. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I may just go get a new bottle of chromium that comes in mg! Thanks for any help !
Anne
Annabelle is online now   Reply With Quote