Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #181
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by longstocking View Post
I know this thread has been inactive for awhile, but I'll still ask my question.

It says take 200 mcg of chromium 4 times a day, so altogether it's 800 mcg. Isn't it at least 16 times more than a daily chromium requirement? It's weird 'cause everyone here says they buy chromium 500 mcg per capsule. In my country I've only seen capsules with 50 mcg (which is a daily requirement according to most vitamin and mineral charts).
Is it safe to take that much chromium?
Yes, it is safe to take that much.

The daily requirement is not for optimal health. An upper limit has not been established for chromium. It is unlikely to cause adverse side effects.

At one time I was told by a doctor to take one with each meal. I was eating 5-6 meals per day. He wanted me taking that much.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CookinsForMe
Stats: 188.8/162/140
WOE: Lower carb, moderate fat, & walking
Start Date: 6/24/09 for the umpteenth time.
DiamondDeb, are you still taking the supplements and are they still helping?

Denise
CookinsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinsForMe View Post
DiamondDeb, are you still taking the supplements and are they still helping?

Denise
I'm not taking them right now. They did help with cravings when I took them.

I don't usually have cravings but my regular multi, which I'm currently out of, has chromium in it so I usually get plenty of it. It helps stabilize blood sugar.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: longstocking
WOE: VLC and Stillman's
I have a question about L-Glutamine. You mentioned that it's important to take it 20 minutes before eating protein. Can I ask, why? Does it not work in the right way if you take it with protein?

See, my problem is, I often forget to take L-Glutamine first thing in the morning and remember about it only after or during breakfast when it's already too late to take it. What do you thing should I do in that case, take L-Glutamine anyway or wait for a few hours?

Also, if protein prevents L-Glutamine from working properly, then how many hours should I wait after a meal to take it. Meat always takes a long time to digest and stays long in my stomach. Sometimes I feel that 3-4 hours after eating the meat is still in my stomach (the organ). Should I still take it if it's time to take it?

Sorry for so many questions. I hope you know the answer.

Thanks
longstocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: longstocking
WOE: VLC and Stillman's
:bump: :blush:
longstocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melsreturn
Stats: 251/129/130
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Low Calorie
Start Date: May 2006
Chromium Picolinate kills my appetite quicker than anything! I force myself to eat when I take the cp. Also, when I talked with several friends about it, their doctors had requested that they take it (one was a prescription) to help with blood sugar issues. another friend asked her surgeon who said yes it was safe and that he woudl highly recommend it.
melsreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #187
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
I have found that when I do a super cleanse I get so hungry, so I just take some Chromium Picolinate which really helps. Had not really noticed how much it did help before.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I am going to bump this thread. It has alot of great info in it that I think you may want to read.

I would be interested in who still uses these supplements and how you take them in a day.

I am going to health food store for chromium. I already bought the L-glutamine this morning. I hope this helps my cravings.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

bumping
Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #190
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SweetPoison2
Stats: 246/232/180
WOE: DASH Diet & HHCG
Start Date: June 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
If you just can't get control over your cravings it may not be all about "will power."
aww...man, I thought this was a new thread. This supplement never worked for me. Didn't do a darn thing much to my disappointment.
SweetPoison2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison2 View Post
aww...man, I thought this was a new thread. This supplement never worked for me. Didn't do a darn thing much to my disappointment.
How did you take it?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #192

Gallery: SweetPoison2
Stats: 246/232/180
WOE: DASH Diet & HHCG
Start Date: June 09
I can't recall Deb. I think I took it with every meal or 2x a day. I felt no difference at all. And it wasn't cheap either.
SweetPoison2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison2 View Post
I can't recall Deb. I think I took it with every meal or 2x a day. I felt no difference at all. And it wasn't cheap either.
Glutamine taken with food is unlikely to give good results. It needs to be taken before/between meals. Chromium, on the other hand should be taken with meals. The timing does make a huge difference when it comes to taking supplements.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Deb...Today is only day one but I feel a big differance. I am keeping my fingers crossed that its not a mind thing today.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Deb...Today is only day one but I feel a big differance. I am keeping my fingers crossed that its not a mind thing today.

I hope it sticks.

I was shocked at the difference in how I felt when I first started taking supplements as she suggests. I'd used most of the supplements before but never noticed any benefits; it was the timing she suggests that made the difference.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #196
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: up and down
Well as someone said previously, this thread has been inactive for a while but I came across it and found it sooooo helpful and thought I would share my experience too!
I have suffered with chronic carb cravings for as long as I can remember and do battle everyday. Like most prople I have tried all sorts of 'remedies' but none have had any real impact. Until now! I have today started on Chromium and L-Glutamine at the suggested dosage and times and can report that tonight I DO NOT crave any carbs! 'Tis a miracle for sure!
Of course it is early days but already I feel better for not cramming all that **** into my system.
I may also add that I have a thyroid disorder and also Fibromyalgia, which I find is made worse when I overload on carbs, so if this really does work it will be such a boost to my overall health as well.
So, a big thank you to you all for sharing all this info, much appreciated!
up and down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: duece49424
Stats: 230 start 3/16/10..lifetime goal 150
WOE: low carb/healthylifestyle - struggling with binges
Hi up and down....I hope you see this message. I did not read thru the whole thread, but you sound just like me. I also have chronic carb cravings, night time eating, binging, emotional eating, thyroid disorder and I have not officially been diagnosed with fibro, but, when I was successful on LC before, most of my aches and pains went away. So, when I went to look for chromium I found several different kinds and doses, same for the L-glutamine..more or less, just different dosages. I did buy one that was 1000 mg. Can you tell me when and how we are supposed to take these 2 supplements? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #198
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: up and down
Hello Jane

Second day and all is well still! I have eaten some carbs but haven't had that horrible urge to carry on and on and on....
I've come to realise that I eat for all sorts of reasons other than plain old hunger!
I have also given up having artificial sweeteners in my tea as I read that they can stimulate something that makes you crave sweet things, so although it's early days, I think I will be able to give them up completely.

This is the dosage I have been taking (I have also ordered the suggested book called 'The diet cure' from Amazon- cost 1pence!-which apparently tells you in more detail about cravings and how to beat them.)

First thing in the morning I have 500mg L-Glutamine (ie one tab) taken before food. Then again 500 mg mid morning and 500mg mid afternoon, all before food/in between meals.

Chromium I take 200mcg with each meal- breakfast, lunch, dinner and also bedtime. The Chromium I chose is the GTF one as the assistant said it was more easily broken down and wouldn't affect blood sugar as much as the Picolinate. Not sure if that is correct but it is working anyway!

I might also say regarding the thyroid that I am on T3 supplements from the doctor, along with my T4 ( thyroxine). If you can get your doc to let you have a try with T3, ( otherwise known as Liothyronine) you may, like me, wonder how you lived without them ( in my case for 20 odd years!) Not all docs are as 'enlightened' as my dear doc, so you may have a struggle, but do some research on the net and there are loads of support groups out there that will provide you with evidence to back up your case. My aches and pains and fatigue still grip me from time to time, but if I can keep on top of the carbs, and take my T3 I sure do feel a whole lot better than I did.
Hope this helps, let me know how you get on
Lynne.
up and down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
bump
freeman525 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
bump so I can come back and read later
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #201
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: drumrgrl
Great thread! Thanks all for the good info, help and support!
drumrgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #202
DJ

Gallery: DJ
Stats: just depressing.
Start Date: August 2004
fascinating!
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #203
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
L-Glutamine is a miracle worker I also take 5htp and Gaba, but the gaba does make me a bit sleepy. I tried taking the additional calcium/magnesium she recommends but it killed my stomach! I tried for over 2 weeks but had to stop taking it. I'm slowly adding in the other aminos over the next few weeks. I'm VERY happy I found this book.
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Yes I've been taking glutamine and chromium picolinate several times a day for many months for reasons other than just cravings, but my cravings for sweets and starches are pretty much nil. I use the Now glutamine powder because it's less expensive than the pill type. Now also makes a larger container of that glutamine powder than netrition sells.

I use GABA from time to time also, I find it does help me relax quite a bit. However, if it is a stressful time or I am in a rush it can also make me irritable. Piracetam seems to work a little better for me.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
The chrome didn't do anything for me. But the glutamine does
seem to be helping my carb cravings. I fell off the wagon a couple
of weeks back and only started back low carbing the past 3 days.
When I started back I also started taking the glutamine and it
seems to have made getting back into low carbing a lot easier.
I have type 2 diabetes and it may be helping my blood sugar some
also.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
SAve!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #207
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NutinHonie
Stats: 209/173/145
Start Date: 10/1/08
Bump
NutinHonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #208
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eaglewings
Hi, I am new here but have been reading and getting recipes for quite awhile. I did a search because I wanted to see if anyone else had mentioned amino acid supplements.

My story is that I "happened" on the Diet Cure site back in June and ordered the book. I ran out to the health store and started taking a supplement blend (by Bluebonnet, you can look up exactly what is in there) and it worked so well I never even experimented with different doses of specific aminos. I am taking the recommended dose on the bottle - 4 caps per day.

I can't stress enough how big of a binge eater I was. I was definitely addicted, no doubt about it.

I had not even read the details in the book at that point, so there is no chance it was a placebo effect. Within 2 days my husband noticed I was snacking on veggies - just one carrot, plain - and commented on it. Normally I would be pigging out on chips. Within a week was my cycle and I had NO PMS (big shocker to my family!!! and I have not had it since either!).

Not only am I not having cravings - the foods I was addicted to do not even appeal to me. I can eat a bite of birthday cake and simply not want more. I can serve things to my kids and not be the slightest bit tempted. I bought "good" candy this year at halloween - normally I buy the stuff I don't like, because i will sneak and eat it otherwise! I WAS NEVER LIKE THAT. EVER. I emphasize that because it is such a huge change.

It has changed my life so drastically that I just want to tell everyone so they can at least look into it. I can look back now in my history and pinpoint pretty much when my system was thrown out of whack. It all makes so much sense.

I know nothing applies to everyone, but I hope even one person will find this will help them. I know how miserable I was. I was not able to stick to any diet for longer than a few hours. Now it's been almost 6 months and I am finally getting healthy (I had a lot of other health issues as well, including yeast and thyroid).

There is a web site with a symptom quiz. There is another book called "The Mood Cure" which is pretty much the same but focuses on mood issues.

Thanks for listening
eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
Thanks eaglewings! I will check out that blend. DO you take all 4 caps at once or throughout the day? I'm bad at taking too many pills(I forget) so I hope you can do it all at once!
Anne
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #210
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eaglewings
I take them all at once. Somewhere in the book it says you should take them 20 minutes before eating any protein, or 90 minutes after, but that it isn't a huge deal. So I take them first thing in the morning.
eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote