Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcarlee
Stats: 350/280/200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
How much did you take?

No significant side effects have been reported in glutamine studies though taking excessive amounts can lead to upset stomachs.
I was taking a tablespoon mixed in with some orange crystal lite.
dcarlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #152
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Hi all, I actually bought the diet cure several years ago but didn't do anything with it. I think I tested positive in all of the categories, or nearly all of them. Has anyone gotten complete relief from the different categories, like blodd sugar instability, depleted brain chemicals, depression, low thyroid function and the other things the author covers? I am at a place where I REALLY need something like this if the supplements really do work.

And you know, everytime I start an exercise program, I get sick. I get a severe cold with bronchitis and I'm wondering if the exercise puts stress on my immune system, and I am wondering if that's an adrenal issue or not?

Also, where do you get your supplements? Is there a difference in brands? I usually buy mine from Puritan's Pride becuase the prices are usually pretty good.

faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #153
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlee View Post
I was taking a tablespoon mixed in with some orange crystal lite.
How much was in a tablespoon? Are you taking more than necessary?

The powder I have contains 4500mg per teaspoon. That's way more than is necessary for cravings, though even when I used that amount for post workout recovery it didn't cause any side effects. Have you tried it again? You're sure it's the glutamine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
Hi all, I actually bought the diet cure several years ago but didn't do anything with it. I think I tested positive in all of the categories, or nearly all of them. Has anyone gotten complete relief from the different categories, like blodd sugar instability, depleted brain chemicals, depression, low thyroid function and the other things the author covers? I am at a place where I REALLY need something like this if the supplements really do work.

And you know, everytime I start an exercise program, I get sick. I get a severe cold with bronchitis and I'm wondering if the exercise puts stress on my immune system, and I am wondering if that's an adrenal issue or not?

Also, where do you get your supplements? Is there a difference in brands? I usually buy mine from Puritan's Pride becuase the prices are usually pretty good.
Here is a discussion on [COLOR="Blue"]The Diet Cure[/COLOR], the supps used and results.

I found it made a huge difference in how I felt when I was using the supplements suggested. The key is to take the supps at the correct time of day and in the correct dosage. I'd taken many of the supplements before without any results at all. Taking them the way she suggests got me noticeable results overnight. I actually could feel a difference before I got out of bed the next morning.

It can be quite expensive to keep taking all the supps, though if you follow her nutritional plan for your symptoms, you are supposed to be able to discontinue the supps within a few months. I did not try her nutrition.

I don't know what could be causing you to get sick when you start working out. That's odd. I'd definitely try to find out though.

I get my supplements from Vitamin World on their discount days (buy one, get one free) and from Vitamin Shoppe. Puritan's Pride does have very good prices.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
How much was in a tablespoon? Are you taking more than necessary?

The powder I have contains 4500mg per teaspoon. That's way more than is necessary for cravings, though even when I used that amount for post workout recovery it didn't cause any side effects. Have you tried it again? You're sure it's the glutamine?
I'm not near my container right now. I will check to see how many mg in a Tbs. I am positive it was the glutamine making me sick. I was taking it on an empty stomach. I am very sensitive to things. Vitamins make me sick also. I finally found 2 brands of vitamins that don't make me sick. the first one was $48 for a 30 day supply and the second is only $25 for a 30 day supply.

I might try a lower dose of the glutamine and see how I react.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #155

Quote:
I'm not near my container right now. I will check to see how many mg in a Tbs. I am positive it was the glutamine making me sick. I was taking it on an empty stomach. I am very sensitive to things. Vitamins make me sick also. I finally found 2 brands of vitamins that don't make me sick. the first one was $48 for a 30 day supply and the second is only $25 for a 30 day supply.

I might try a lower dose of the glutamine and see how I react.
If it still causes nausea at a lower dose, try taking it with a little food and see if it helps that way. It will be less effective but it may still work.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SPECK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieCat0817 View Post
I have been having a 'Maintenance-nervous-breakdown' lately .
I am soooo sorry Allie but this made me laugh out loud. You are so funny. Serious I know but still funny as hades to me.
SPECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #157
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
Girl that's ok! It is funny sometimes. Ya gotta find humor in things!!

Just wanted to throw in that the latest thing I am looking at is Dr Rob Thompsons Low GI plan..... I've been feeling too 'out there' and lost. I decided to start back counting carbs and feel SO MUCH BETTER TODAY!

Last edited by AllieCat0817; 06-28-2007 at 12:41 PM..
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #158
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieCat0817 View Post
Girl that's ok! It is funny sometimes. Ya gotta find humor in things!!

Just wanted to throw in that the latest thing I am looking at is Dr Rob Thompsons Low GI plan..... I've been feeling too 'out there' and lost. I decided to start back counting carbs and feel SO MUCH BETTER TODAY!
What are the basics of this plan? You said your counting carbs, is that recommended in this book? Thanks in adance for the info!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If it still causes nausea at a lower dose, try taking it with a little food and see if it helps that way. It will be less effective but it may still work.
OK I checked my container and I was taking way too much. I had read somewhere to take a full Tbs of the stuff but didn't question how many mg it should be. the stuff I have has 4500mg in one teaspoon. I will try a tsp and see how I feel. thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #160

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
I haven't read it yet but there is a thread on it on Other Plans. There is no carb counting with it though-- you worry about Glycemic Load instead. I just want to COUNT to get a handle right now.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #161

Quote:
OK I checked my container and I was taking way too much. I had read somewhere to take a full Tbs of the stuff but didn't question how many mg it should be. the stuff I have has 4500mg in one teaspoon. I will try a tsp and see how I feel. thanks
Why not start with half a teaspoon? That would be 750mg and that is more than the lowest amount recommended.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #162
Blabbermouth!!!

Bumping for Speck.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SPECK
Thank you.
SPECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Location: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell
Gallery: Zbunny
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: P2 Start 1/2/2012
I just bought L-glutamine, chromium GTF, and 5-HTP today. I thought I'd bump this thread to see if any of the earlier posters are still using supplements and how they are doing (plus this is good info for anyone else undergoing cravings like I am!)
Zbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
I have been using Chromium GTF 200 mcg. with 2 meals a day per instructions.....lunch and dinner, with great success.

My cravings have abated, and I feel very satisfied.....what's even better, the sleepies I used to get after any meal have vanished.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ny_shelly
Stats: 320.4/312.2/135 ~ 5'6"
WOE: Dukan Diet
Start Date: 8/26/11 Day 1
I've been taking Michael's Glucose Metabolism Factors. It has 450 mcg chromium polynicotinate and 300 mg L-Glutamine in 3 pills. I take one pill in the morning after about 2 hours from taking my morning medication. The rest I take after dinner and then at night because that's when I do my binging.

I think I could use a bigger dose. But I'll tell you that this definitely helps.
ny_shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
I have been using Chromium GTF 200 mcg. with 2 meals a day per instructions.....lunch and dinner, with great success.

My cravings have abated, and I feel very satisfied.....what's even better, the sleepies I used to get after any meal have vanished.
Me too!
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post

Hi, I LOVE the Diet Cure and if I hadn't had it first, I doubt I could have gotten through re-induction for Atkins. If the aminos aren't working, try upping them a bit. We tend to take the first dosage without realize we can go higher--and safely. I normally had to take the higher end doses but I was easily able to taper off. Right now, I use the L-glutamine for PMS and the L-tyrosine when my energy is lacking (usually from a lack of the B Vits). I also use GABA on PMS days when DH feels like pestering me--kind of keeps me from being explosive I also give it to him when he comes from from a bad day and he's really hyper.

For the chromium, I use it religiously everyday. I have started giving to to my kids as well along with their daily because sugar depletes chromium. It's a bad cycle especially in countries where sugar is abundant. It's also a catch 22--eat the high carbs, lose the chromium. Lose the chromium, increase the cravings for high carbs.

Thanks for the nice thread--very informative!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #169

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Bump

Great thread - wow - learned a lot - thanks to all
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #170
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Where to buy L-Glutamine ? Couldn't find it at Walmart or Walgreen's.
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: duece49424
Stats: 230 start 3/16/10..lifetime goal 150
WOE: low carb/healthylifestyle - struggling with binges
Lucky - what chromium do you use? There are 3 kinds that I found and not sure which one would be the best...someone told picolonate.

Butternut - the brand at Wal-Mart is by Rexall and still in with the vitamins, but they sort of put the rexall products together at our store near the bottom shelf. Pretty cheap there.
Hope this helps
duece49424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #172

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
Where to buy L-Glutamine ? Couldn't find it at Walmart or Walgreen's.
Vitamin Shoppe or FitRx carries it.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Disco Superfly
Stats: 280/157/155
WOE: Zero Carb
Start Date: 2001
I remember trying this years ago, thanks for all the info
Disco Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: duece49424
Stats: 230 start 3/16/10..lifetime goal 150
WOE: low carb/healthylifestyle - struggling with binges
I don't have a vitamin shoppe or fitrx....we have a health food store that I just started going to. They are a lot more expensive than wal-mart, just wondering if it means better quality too.

Lis, I got the chromium and there were so many different kinds, so, we'll see and I hope it works! I desperately need extra help/
duece49424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lori121
Stats: Jan 232.5/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
I need to got to WM & pick up my thyroid pills. So I'll pick up some.
lori121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by duece49424 View Post
I don't have a vitamin shoppe or fitrx....we have a health food store that I just started going to. They are a lot more expensive than wal-mart, just wondering if it means better quality too.

Lis, I got the chromium and there were so many different kinds, so, we'll see and I hope it works! I desperately need extra help/
Straight Glutamine powder is pretty much all the same.

GTF Chromium is the "preferred" type these days.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
I know its a bit late in the day - but I have a question -
I went out and bought supplements based on the very first post, not having read all the way through this thread -
I bought Chromium Picolinate and not, as mentioned by AllieCat, the Polynicotinate - is this going to be a huge problem? Finances are tight at the mo, so I can't really go out and buy the "right" stuff as the ones I bought were quite pricey...

Sorry to bother you all and TIA.

Great thread btw, so very helpful for someone that has a massive sweet tooth and a big appetite at the min.
Thanks in advance.
G x

I'm taking back control...Its my time!

lbs to go....

WATP 26/11/2012
Glamour P! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour P! View Post
I know its a bit late in the day - but I have a question -
I went out and bought supplements based on the very first post, not having read all the way through this thread -
I bought Chromium Picolinate and not, as mentioned by AllieCat, the Polynicotinate - is this going to be a huge problem? Finances are tight at the mo, so I can't really go out and buy the "right" stuff as the ones I bought were quite pricey...

Sorry to bother you all and TIA.

Great thread btw, so very helpful for someone that has a massive sweet tooth and a big appetite at the min.
Thanks in advance.
G x
Don't tell anyone but, no, Chromium Picolinate should not be a problem. I used it for years, many still do. It should work just fine.

Good luck with it, and welcome!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
Thanks DD -
That's a relief tbh, and when they run out (I have 250) I will get the Polynicotinate. Do you think I could start taking them right away while I have a tummy bug?? Or do you think I should wait. I actually ordered the Diet Cure book and got it this morning. Got it for a penny online + shipping. I got the 2000 reprinted version, hopefully that is ok. Just having a skim thru I notice she mentions L-Tyrosine for a underactive thyoid, do you or anyone know if this has worked at all? My bloods always come back with a slightly underactive thyroid, but not underactive enough to be medicated. I can't make up my mind if that is a good thing or not. I am on plenty of meds as it is, and I suppose that if I can find a way to help without medication then that suits me better. Thanks for the help. Gosh I love this site!!

G xoxo
Glamour P! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: longstocking
WOE: VLC and Stillman's
I know this thread has been inactive for awhile, but I'll still ask my question.

It says take 200 mcg of chromium 4 times a day, so altogether it's 800 mcg. Isn't it at least 16 times more than a daily chromium requirement? It's weird 'cause everyone here says they buy chromium 500 mcg per capsule. In my country I've only seen capsules with 50 mcg (which is a daily requirement according to most vitamin and mineral charts).
Is it safe to take that much chromium?
longstocking is offline   Reply With Quote