Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2003, 05:47 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: JuliaL
Stats: 190/143/140 16/6/6, height 5'8", age 49
WOE: Atkins/BFFM
Start Date: 4/22/03
When to take CLA

I know this question has probably been asked before, but when is the best time to take CLA? Are you supposed to take it with food? I'm taking 4,000 mg. per day, two capsules in the a.m. and two in the p.m. If anyone knows when is best time to take, would you please share?

Thanks,
Julia
JuliaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2003, 05:58 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: amadeus4313
Stats: 244/221/144 77 more to go
WOE: One Day At A Time
I take 2 with breakfast, 2 with lunch, and 1 with supper. I just added the extra pill this week so I don't know what the results are yet.

♥ Mary

PS - you look really great!
amadeus4313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:32 AM   #3

Gallery:
I'm taking about 3500 a day and i spread them out. Usually with my meals hoping they help more at that time. I've only been doing this for a few days not so i'm not sure i notice anything yet. I haven't in the "scale" department but havent measured. I'm not a fanatic measurer, only a fanatic scaler. lol
Old 07-13-2003, 07:39 AM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
The best time is with a meal. I've read that you shouldn't take CLA at bedtime.

My best results came when taking 6 per day spread out over 6 meals. You may want to gradually increase to 5-6 capsules.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmoon
Stats: 225/208/138
WOE: Low-Carb Lifestyle
Start Date: August 2002
I'm with Deb. I take one with each meal & try to eat small meals 5 to 6 times a day. The definition I can see is in my tummy that's not as fatty & the tops of my thighs. I still have a way to go, but I do believe CLA, when taken consistently, makes a difference.
snowmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:48 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LdyMorant
Stats: 211/168/150 5'4"
WOE: currently SB, before Atkins
Start Date: 3/19/01 (2 mega bumps along the way lol)
DiamondDeb, did 4,000mg daily not work for you? How did you determine 6 capsules worked?
LdyMorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:03 AM   #7
thelainster

Gallery: thelainster
CLA

HI! I've lost 30.6 lbs as of today!! I thought I'd NEVER get to it-I'm so happy. I started taking CLA 3 weeks ago and take 4-6 softgels spread out with meals. However where I live (N.S.) the only place I can get them costs $32 for 60 so you can see it is an expensive proposition. I was reading the archived site on CLA and got the idea from there that a liquid form of CLA Clarinol sold by Netrition may be a way to go. You only have to take one dose per day instead of all those large pills and economically it would be a lot better. I wanted to know if anybody has tried the liquid form and what their opinions are on it. I wonder if one dose per day is as good as doses spread out with meals-metabolloically speaking. Any comments?
Old 07-13-2003, 08:24 AM   #8
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/207.8/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
I have been taking 2 with breakfast, 1 with lunch, 1 with dinner. I don't know if it's helping. I'm losing slowly but also started weightlifting which would slow the loss down.
stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:40 AM   #9
LeslieT

Gallery: LeslieT
thelainster ----I've been taking the liquid form for about 3 weeks and have seen some good results in the hips and thighs. I've been taking a bit more than the dosage listed on the bottle and I usually take it some time in the morning, but not necessarily with a meal. I just ordered a new bottle a few days ago. I've never taken the capsule type, so I can't really make a comparison.

Congrats on your loss!
Old 07-13-2003, 10:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmommy86
Stats: 224/180/125
Start Date: June 2003
I take 2 with breakfast 2 with lunch and 1 with dinner works for me Hope that helps
bigmommy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 01:03 PM   #11
EmilysMommy

Gallery: EmilysMommy
So Leslie......

How does the liquid taste? I was considering the liquid because the pills cost a whole lot more.

Debbie
Old 07-13-2003, 01:20 PM   #12
LeslieT

Gallery: LeslieT
EmilysMommy....At first it was pretty bad and I washed it down like medicine. But about half way through the bottle the "orange" flavor seemed stronger and the texture was much better. I've always shaken it before, so I'm not sure why this was. Maybe I'm just more used to it. Now I just take it easily with a measuring spoon and don't have to wash it down with anything.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
DiamondDeb, did 4,000mg daily not work for you? How did you determine 6 capsules worked?
4 capsules at 1000mg containing 74% CLA is only 2960mg. 5 capsules is only 3700mg and 6 is 4440mg. I've never taken less than 6. More, but not less.

Quote:
...a liquid form of CLA Clarinol sold by Netrition may be a way to go. You only have to take one dose per day instead of all those large pills and economically it would be a lot better.I wonder if one dose per day is as good as doses spread out with meals-metabolloically speaking. Any comments?
That's a good question. I've wondered myself. I have been told that the main thing is to get the correct dosage, that it dosen't matter much how it is spread out, but I don't know that for sure. I've also been told to spread it out as much as possible. I plan to continue with the capsules & take them 1 per each of 6 meals. I've also had results taking 2 caps at only 3 of my meals.

Stews, take your measurements if you haven't already. You'll see more progress on the tape measure than the scale. Enjoy the lifting! It's amazing what it can do!

On the liquid...can you guys disguise the taste by adding it to a shake or something?

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 07-13-2003 at 02:09 PM..
Old 07-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JeanieH
Stats: 275/190/140???
Start Date: April 14 2003
I take CLA 6 times a day unless I forget The bottle says to take up to 6 times a day BEFORE meals---it doesn't specify how long before---and I am not sure why it says before---but I try to remember to take them say about 5 minutes before I eat. There have been a few times that I have already started eating and then remember--oh oh---so I just take it along with then instead of missing it altogether.
JeanieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by JeanieH
The bottle says to take up to 6 times a day BEFORE meals---it doesn't specify how long before---and I am not sure why it says before---but I try to remember to take them say about 5 minutes before I eat. There have been a few times that I have already started eating and then remember--oh oh---so I just take it along with then instead of missing it altogether.
Mine says take 1 softegel 5-6 times daily, preferably with meals. lol...
Old 07-13-2003, 05:04 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LdyMorant
Stats: 211/168/150 5'4"
WOE: currently SB, before Atkins
Start Date: 3/19/01 (2 mega bumps along the way lol)
Quote:
Originally posted by DiamondDeb
Mine says take 1 softegel 5-6 times daily, preferably with meals. lol...
Mine says "As a dietary supplement, take one (1) softgel with each meal."

That would equal 3 capsules a day for a total of 3,000mg - BUT after DiamondDeb brought up the point of the capsules only containing 74% CLA I checked my bottle and it said each capsule contained 740-820mg of CLA ....so how much should I take? Is the bottles recommendations wrong?
LdyMorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by LdyMorant
Mine says "As a dietary supplement, take one (1) softgel with each meal."

That would equal 3 capsules a day for a total of 3,000mg - BUT after DiamondDeb brought up the point of the capsules only containing 74% CLA I checked my bottle and it said each capsule contained 740-820mg of CLA ....so how much should I take? Is the bottles recommendations wrong?
In my case that means 6.

The fat-burning benefits of CLA are not the only reason to take it. Perhaps this dosage is suggested for one of them? I honestly don't know. There is no specific daily requirement for CLA, so we can only go by what info we've read when doing research. Less may work, but I don't know that it will.

FYI, Guys, here's another link about CLA benefits & side-effects:

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/we...de-effects.htm
Old 07-13-2003, 07:26 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lurzer
Stats: 255/181/150
Start Date: August 2002
OK... call me stupid...

... but, what is CLA?
Lurzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:56 AM   #19
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/207.8/135
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
I dont' want to take the time time measure. I am not really paying that much attention to the scales. watching how my clothes fit is how I'm going mostly. and how I feel. my clothes do seem a bit looser, so I'm sure something is working.
stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #20

It sounds like it's working too! It's just that later it might be nice to be able to check & see exactly how good you;ve done. I didn't measure when I started this WOL 3 years ago and I REALLY wish I had! I do agree it's good not to concern yourself with the scale.

Your brother plays for the Giants? How cool!
Old 07-15-2003, 10:22 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blacklablover
to answer Lurzer's question

Hello everyone. This is to answer your question Lurzer:

What does it do? Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a slightly altered form of the essential fatty acid linoleic acid. Preliminary animal and test tube research suggests that CLA might reduce the risk of cancers at several sites, including breast, prostate, colorectal, lung, skin, and stomach.1 2 3 4 Whether CLA will have a similar protective effect for people has yet to be demonstrated in human research.

In a double-blind study, volunteers participating in an exercise program received 600 mg of CLA or a placebo three times per day for 12 weeks. Compared with placebo, CLA significantly reduced percent body fat, but did not significantly reduce body weight.5 In a double-blind study of obese men, supplementation with 4.2 grams of CLA per day for four weeks produced a small but statistically significant reduction in waist size. However, compared with the placebo, CLA did not promote weight loss.6 At present, there is not sufficient evidence to support the use of CLA as a treatment for obesity.

Animal research suggests an effect of CLA supplementation on reducing body fat.7 8 Limited controlled human research found 5.6–7.2 grams per day of CLA produced nonsignificant gains in muscle size and strength in experienced9 and inexperienced10 weight-training men.

Where is it found? CLA is found mainly in dairy products and also in beef and poultry, eggs, and corn oil. Bacteria that live in the intestine of humans can produce CLA from linoleic acid, but supplementation of a rich source of linoleic acid did not produce increases in blood levels of CLA in one human study.15 CLA is available as a supplement.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:04 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elise x
I recently bought a bottle of CLA Bio Synergy Slimming Pills. It says i should take 3 capsules before lunch and then 3 capsules before dinner. I'm not sure this sounds right

Has anyone been taking them as directed?
Elise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 12yrslater
Stats: UGH
Start Date: Induction: 10/20/08
Is this a safe supplement (I know probably a dumb question).
12yrslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: patty1340
GLA- Evening Primrose oil and Plavix

Hello, I am new to LCF and I was reading about taking CLA and GLA together and I did a little research on both of them to find out more about the benefits and several articles said that I can't take both Plavix and GLA- Evening Primrose because it could cause bleeding and bruising. I asked my Cardio doc about taking GLA and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Does anyone here have any info? I am 45yrs, 90 lbs overweight and I have Coronary Artery disease.I had 4 stents put in last October and November. 3 were from blocked arteries and 1 from a plaque rupture. I "did" Atkins for in 2005 when my husband was in Iraq and lost 115lbs. He came home, I went back to my old ways and gained 80 lbs back. :-( I am trying to get healthy now and I know Carbs are very bad for me and this has to be a lifestyle change, and my Cardiologist said Atkins is Great! He doesn't understand why because it goes against his training but he sees positive results with his patients! So any info you have would be great.
patty1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fireflyfaster
Stats: 234/150 5'9 BMI 22
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 4/20/09 - Met Goal April 2010
Welcome to LCF, Patty, and welcome back to low carbing.

I can't answer your questions about CLA and GLA, but I can tell you that going LC again is absolutely the best thing you can do for your health and your heart.

Get a copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and give it to your doctor; he wrote it with MD's in mind. And you can read it before you hand it off.

Poke around the site here and you'll find all kinds of information. Re-read your Atkins or other LC book too, to refresh your memory, and get started right away. You'll be feeling better and losing weight before you know it.

I had just about the same amount to lose as you. You can do this!

Losing/lost your last 10 or 10%? Join us in the Maintain Lane

Last edited by fireflyfaster; 05-19-2010 at 01:00 AM..
fireflyfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: justin78
hi, can anyone tell me what is meant by taking "with meal" may i know how long before meal? half an hour? 5 min? or immediately before meal? i'm taking a vitamin store brand and the bottle suggested 3 soft gel a day. can any one help me? thanks
justin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilmaz
Stats: 145/141/120
WOE: LowCarb, Unprocessed, GlutenFree
Start Date: May 2010
With a meal would be 5mins or immediately before eating. 30 mins before would be more like taking away from food as it'd allow the CLA to leave your stomach (provided it was empty!) before your meal.
I'm starting to wonder that the recommendation to take with food is so it doesn't cause nausea. I haven't come across any articles mentioning cofactors for CLA absorption that you would normally find in food. If anyone else has please let me know.
I mentioned this on another thread- I'm afraid of binding if I take oil supplements with meals that contain a lot of insoluble fiber and therefore wasting all those pills.
lilmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #28

Gallery: fawn
Patty welcome. First, let me tell you that Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist. With that, the reason this way of eating works is because it's a nutrient dense lifestyle. Eating a low carb higher fat diet protects the cells.

GLA is a non-essential fatty acid known as Gamma Linolenic Acid. It's non essential meaning the body can make it if you have plenty of D6D or delta-6-desaturase enzyme. You are more than likely deficient in this enzyme as it is made from Vitamin C, B6, B3, Zinc and magnesium. (All deficient in the Standard American diet) Since you are not advised to take Evening Primrose Oil due to your Plavix, it is wise to make sure your other basic supplementation is superior.

Every Low Carber should be on a Whole Food B Complex and/or consume nutritional yeast which will definitely boost your B's. and supplementing with C, Zinc and Magnesium (Mag being an important heart nutrient)

The CLA is found in grass fed beef and butter naturally occurring.

In your condition, avoid all vegetable oils corn, safflower, sunflower soybean and canola and all flours and sugars....I even say grains and fruit (other than a few blueberries or raspberries) as they cause inflammation. Inflammation is what contributes to CVD.

I wish you well and I hope this has helped.

I'm also going to recommend to you Dr. Atkins Vitanutrient solution....you have one of the Atkins diet books right?

Last edited by fawn; 06-01-2010 at 08:48 PM..
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #29

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin78 View Post
hi, can anyone tell me what is meant by taking "with meal" may i know how long before meal? half an hour? 5 min? or immediately before meal? i'm taking a vitamin store brand and the bottle suggested 3 soft gel a day. can any one help me? thanks
With meal meaning with meal.....don't trip on time frame. You just want it carried to the liver with the fat in the macronutrient you are consuming.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Fawn, you're a wealth of information! Thank you for sharing your knowledge here.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote