Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Where Did Everyone Go?

Where Did Everyone Go?

I feel all alone here lately. Bummer!!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
sorry Nigel. I'm so busy with work, I don't post much--but I always enjoy seeing what you are eating and experimenting with--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I'm sorry; I've been hanging in the Our Way thread mostly and reading the likes of Mark's Daily Apple. I'm beginning to wonder if I should start eating animals again. I just don't think I could without throwing up. Will continue to investigate.
Food Lady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quizoid and Food Lady, Thanks for checking in you two.

I know its a busy time of year, but this is my favorite place to hang out.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

Food Lady--as for eating animals...we don't have to eat animals to live healthy lives. I can't eat them anymore but I am better for it.

I don't knock anyone who eats meat, my wife doesn't want to give it up so she eats it nearly every meal.
She will try what I make and most of the time, she even likes it, but she won't eat it for a meal. (Funny)

And if you think you might throw up, then that doesn't sound like something you would like.

How are you feeling? Still got lots of energy?

Last edited by Nigel; 11-21-2014 at 11:12 AM..
Old 11-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Energy is a tricky question for me. I don't think I've ever been low-energy, no matter the diet, but pain pushes me to inertia oftentimes. And the pain-induced insomnia doesn't help because it goes against circadian rhythm. So I think what I'm trying to say is that for me, energy isn't a good indicator of the health of a diet.

But overall, I'm good. I don't seem to suffer any deficiencies, I guess. Protein deficiency and B-12 should be easy to spot, right? I don't really know. The last blood test I had said my thyroid is fine. Every heart test (EKG, enzyme) I've had said my pain wasn't heart-related. I suppose my only real issue is blood sugar. I have never had my cholesterol tested, though, so I don't know about that.

I've listened to a lot of viewpoints and dissections of studies and eating philosophies lately, and what I'm thinking right now is that both paleo and vegan can be extreme, and that no diet is foolproof as far as disease. I, at this point, don't think fat is bad. I am still leaning toward watching sat fat, though, because I don't see that Ancel Keys proved a causation of heart disease, but no one has disproved it either. All we see are correllations. We see from studies involving blood drawn after fatty meals that blood fat rises. OK, but do we know that causes any real damage over time?

I suppose my philosophy at this point is this: moderation in everything. Both paleo and strict vegan feel extreme to me. Grains are fine; too many can cause metabolic issues. Despite what some say, we are adapted to eat legumes. Denise minger has said that the one thing many successful food plans have in common is whole foods. That makes sense to me. I have no morality against meat-eating, just against factory farming. I personally don't want to eat it, but I am not prohibited by my beliefs or anything.

So I guess my plan is to eat a wider variety of veggies and grains than I do and watch my sat fat, but not eschew it completely, and continue to use mycoprotein, dairy, nuts and legumes for protein in order to moderate the amount of soy in my diet. I'm still wondering what to do about sweeteners. I use more natural ones, but they aren't sweet enough. I might experiment with using a bit of sugar* rather than surcralose and therefore upping my carbs for the day. I seem to be able to get away with around 200 grams, always have. Of course, I don't test my glucose, so I don't know...

My added sugars are kind of my allotment of fruit for the day, if that makes sense, as I don't eat much fruit.

Sorry for the wall o text; thinking out loud and asking for perspective.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I understand what you are saying.

They stopped selling Quorn Products around here...some nonsense about someone getting stomach distress from them. They have a food team that likes to ban everything that I like to eat. lol

Do they still sell them in your area?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Oh, yeah. Our local employee-owned grocery has a bunch of stuff. But it's cheaper by $2 a box at Target. Target has a smaller selection. I do like that they have Morningstar Farms on sale often, like 2 for $7 and there's an app that gets me another maybe 10% or 15% off after the sale price sometimes.

I watched a few videos about low-carb yesterday. It seems this stuff has been known for a long time.
Food Lady is online now   Reply With Quote