Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maripose
WOE: moderate carb
vegan AND under 50 carbs?

I'm an ex high carb low fat vegan, converted to low carb and began eating meat again. I miss being vegan (for me it is purely a taste preference) but don't want to give up the low carb lifestyle. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to be vegan and stay under 50ish carbs. I've given this a great deal of thought and tried many things out but either end up going to a higher carb level and/or am hungry all the time and end up eating more calories than if I eat meat.

Greens and non starchy veggies have roughly 20 carbs per lb. So say you have about 5-6 oz veggies w each meal you're already at 20 carbs. Tofu has about 5 carbs per serving but I'm not a big tofu fan nor am I crazy about seitan (which I believe is about the same carb level as tofu). My problem with seitan and tofu, also, is that I find them unpalatable without sweet or semi sweet sauces... I could use splenda but prefer to use artificial sweeteners sparingly. Even with sweet sauces I'm not sure I could live on tofu and seitan every day especially if cooked in a low carb style.

Beans are high in carbs and even black soy beans have about 20 carbs per serving (at least those noodles made from them do). Nuts are about 7 carbs per serving (I believe macademias are a little less?). That adds up quickly. And fruit... forget about it.

So I can see staying under 100 carbs with strictly limited or no fruit, but is it possible to stay under 50 carbs as a vegan (no eggs, no dairy) without an extremely monotonous diet?

I was looking at Dr. Fuhrman's (eat to live) diet plan for diabetics and even that is in the 150-200 carb range, and low fat/ low protein to boot.

any ideas? thanks!
maripose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
I have been trying to figure this out as well and from what I see. I can probably do 80 or under net carbs. If you don't like tofu or seitan you are going to have to depend on fake meats (which usually has both in there btw) but you have to consider sodium.

I didn't like tofu but I do like tempeh. I've made tempeh bacon to top soup and I'm going to try tempeh sausage. So I've been trying that and I did finally find that I like tofu in a scramble. I am still working on seitan though.

We use spinach a lot for smoothies plus it can be sauteed with some mushrooms for a change. Green leafy vegetables (mustard, turnips, swiss chard, beet greens, etc) are going to be the best bets overall with a few others thrown in for variety. I think you're just going to have to play around and maybe up the carbs just a little but you don't have to go over 100.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I don't see how. It doesn't seem like you could get enough calories without too many carbs. Maybe with foods made with a lot of coconut oil.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I think a high fat/ low carb diet would be possible as a vegan (i.e., nothing but non starchy greens with olive or other oils) but then you lack the appetite suppressant of protein. And I find plant proteins, even beans and nuts, are not nearly as filling per calorie as meat or eggs. Incidentally I experience the same thing with dairy-per calorie, it doesn't seem as filling as meat.

On a typical meat eating day I might have something egg based for breakfast, then chicken or lamb soup for lunch & dinner, plus veggies, and feel absolutely no hunger. I cant find anything like that (not having any hunger and keeping calories very low) on a plant based diet.

Maybe I'll experiment with lacto-vegetarianism for a while, like I said it's just a taste thing for me. I like meat to a degree but not every day or most meals, ideally.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
What about drinking low carb protein powder in coconut or almond milk?

That would help with the protein. I usually add strawberries to mine, but that is optional.

Egg beaters are good...they taste better than just egg whites even though that is what they are.

If you aren't vegan, just vegetarian, then dairy is fine...eggs are fine. Cheese too.

You can make vegan cheeses out of nuts, but I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-26-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Iluvhorses
Stats: 216.6/206/165
WOE: Modified atkins - no meat/cheese
Start Date: Sept 2014
I've been attempting the same thing as you - mostly for weight loss and I'd like to return to more of a hclv way of eating once I hit my goal. I'm missing fruit so much!
I've been using protein powder at 3 carbs per serving and I have two large green salads (pre washed in the bag) at 12 carbs each. So that's 27 carbs plus a few more in almond milk or salad dressing. Realistically, I'm probably between 30-35 per day. The protein powder isn't vegan, it's whey. I agree with you that being low carb and vegan/vegetarian is super challenging but at least for me, the weight is coming off finally so I'm letting myself just make this work for me. I even add hard boiled eggs occasionally when I need food that I can easily take places with me. Salads don't work too well on the go. That's what I'm doing. I hope it helps.
Iluvhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
I was vegan and recently started having an egg once in a while with 1/2 c beans and 1/2 c brown rice with salsa for breakfast. I have fruit too at breakfast. I am at maintenance so even when I was losing I could eat this. At lunch if I have meat, it is tilapia or salmon or pickled herring with a cooked veggie, a salad and a tbsp dressing. Same for supper except it is a bigger salad. I eat tofu or greek yogurt as supper protein so the meat is once a day. I guess you call that a pesco vegetarian. I don't count carbs now and have been maintaining just fine. I get 35-40 grams of fiber and 100 or so net carbs. I find the beans and rice at breakfast very satisfying and sticks to my ribs. I am not hungry til lunch. I do have flaxseed meal once a day in the yogurt. I am in the low carb arena at maintenance levels.

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I decided to cut back on carbs for a while and am keeping mine under 50 per day for a while.

I find it pretty easy but I do eat faux meats like boca burger, quorn products, msf products and yves ground and 365 hot dogs.

So I cook up a protein and then have a big salad with it or else some steamed veggies....and I put cheese on everything.

For breakfast, its usually egg beaters or cottage cheese and msf sausage with cheese on it.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/107/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Interesting readings.

MaryMary
Quote:
I was vegan and recently started having an egg once in a while with 1/2 c beans and 1/2 c brown rice with salsa for breakfast. I have fruit too at breakfast. I am at maintenance so even when I was losing I could eat this. At lunch if I have meat, it is tilapia or salmon or pickled herring
What made you decided to start eating eggs/fish???

Just wondering. I have tried the vegan route, and couldn't do it. I can't even do vegetarian. Seems like I gain weight if I eat to many carbs.
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

My counselor suggested it and I figured it wouldn't hurt. When I was losing I always had the animal protein at lunch, was never a big meat eater. I ate one egg with my beans until the package was gone, but don't know if I will keep having the eggs. The beans and rice are tasty with hot salsa. I always had TVP with soymilk and fruit and a smoothie but with the colder weather, the hot beans and rice are a great breakfast food. As far as fish, I prefer tilapia and haddock over salmon. I don't know how long I will do this but I had a hard time being satisfied on the vegan diet. I couldn't find my rhythm and this is comfortable. It is how I lost my weight years ago.

I am lactose intolerant so greek yogurt is the only dairy I can tolerate, but come winter I will substitute it with tofu.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I think I may have figured it out. I tried it all day yesterday and got through fine, no hunger, in fact I felt so stuffed I kind of felt sick after lunch!

I got the idea from a "fat fast" thread here on LCF. I'd never heard of a fat fast. Well it dawned on me, if you simply add low starch veggies to unlimited (vegetable) fats, you will have a vegan low carb diet and easily stay under 50 carbs.

Of course, this is not a high protein way to eat, just high fat. This is what I ate yesterday:

b: cold leftover eggplant roasted in a LOT of olive oil (~2 net carbs)
l: huge romaine salad with more eggplant mixed in, loaded with olive oil dressing ([~10 net carbs] I didn't feel hunger for 5 hours after this salad!); 2 ounces natural peanut butter (~4 net carbs)
dinner: huge amount of cauliflower roasted in lots of olive oil (~10 net carbs)

total net carb estimate: 26

And I felt no hunger during the night or even this morning!

But, it was kind of repetitive and since I'm pregnant I don't want to continue the experiment (I'm aiming for moderate carbs and higher protein than the above). But this gives you an idea. I also took a calcium supplement midday.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Maripose, do you take a supplement because you are pregnant?