Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I need support

The WOEs out there don't seem to fit me. Paleo doesn't work because I'm not going to eat animals. I read a little of Wheat Belly, but I don't agree with all of his philosophy. I seem to tolerate gluten, but I've been told that symptom-free doesn't mean problem-free. But that's one of my main protein sources. I'm trying not to eat too much soy, either, though I don't know if the people who say it's bad are right. Basically, besides eggs, wheat gluten and soy are going to be my proteins. But they seem inherently wrong because of all the research articles going around. And doing 150 grams of carb a day to lose weight makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong because other people are at 50 or less. Oh, and honestly, it still feels wrong to eat saturated fat. All I know is that at maintenance levels I do lose weight, and that wheat starch seems to give me issues, and that gluten doesn't, unless I don't know about it. It's just all confusing. Any advice on finding my own way? I have to figure this out now before I end up diabetic, you know?
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Eggs and what other sources? Do you eat fish at all? Cheeses or other dairy? (I'm not real familiar with the variations on vegetarian plans, so forgive my question if it's not appropriate).

If you google: marks daily apple Is A Vegetarian "Primal" Lifestyle Possible
You'll find an interesting discussion on it. Wear your thick skin, it's a little rude.
Also, google: primal vegetarian and there are loads of blogs and recipes that may strike you as doable.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Oh, sorry; I should've posted what I will eat. I do some meat analogues, although many more than I did before cutting carbs. I eat eggs every day and I will eat any dairy product. I looove cheese, but I think of it as a fat rather than a protein. I don't eat any kind of fish or seafood. I think I did read that Mark's Apple thing and it seemed to lean toward vegetarianism being an unnecessary choice, if I remember correctly.

What do you think of this idea?:
I know my body. I should try different things and see how I react physically. If something isn't presenting a problem right now [like gluten, for example], then, as my mom says, "Why borrow trouble?"

Dottie, your signiature seems to underscore this idea. Maybe all my confusion is due to listening to other people over my own body.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
There is a diet I stumbled across yesterday called Dr. McDougall's. It might be suitable for you. It is vegetarian and strict on the no dairy, etc. You can eat potatoes on this diet. It has a free 10 day menu program. I haven't heard anything about this diet, but I was searching for vegetarian recipes and landed there. It has some good recipes for the 10 days, but I didn't read the entire program.

Mostly, I think it's trial and error...or at least it was for me. I had to adjust from eating meat all the time to not eating meat and mostly because I just didn't like it anymore. I eat the faux meats a lot, but you can make your own. You can use tvp to make mock hamburger meat and you can use beans and grains to make burger patties, meatloaves, mock sausages, etc.

As for eating soy, I eat it all the time and have been for years with no problems. I would think your body would have a reaction to something you can't eat. If it doesn't bother you, I say eat it. I don't think gluten is the enemy either, but that's just my opinon.

I go and read lots of articles and a lot of them can be contradictory. I just take what I can use from them and move on.

Even when I did the strict Atkins 1972, I didn't give up tomatoes and I still ate green peas about once a week. I still lost 46 pounds easily.

It's so much easier for me to do lower carbs than low carb, esp. without eating meat, even though I do eat dairy. I eat about 150=200 carbs per day and maintain, but I probably used to eat 1000 carbs per day because I was addicted to starch and sugar.

We can't compare ourselves to what anyone/everyone else is doing. I had to play it by ear until I figured out what works. Eating beans every day is a good thing for me. It is great for protein and helps me get full. I eat lots of vegetables and used to eat lots of cheese. My doc said I had to cut down on the cheese, hence the beans.

I can't eat whole wheat unless it's mixed with other whole grains. It bothers my stomach. So I have to read labels and I have found a walnut bread and an oat bread that do have some whole wheat in them, but I don't get sick from them. I only eat one slice per day and not every day...just when I want some jam on my toast. None of the other grains have seemed to bother me and unfortunately white flour doesn't bother me at all.

My advice is to have some type of legumes every day, lots of veggies, a little dairy if you eat dairy, and if you have bread, make sure it's multi grain or low carb. Beware of the bread labels that say "whole Grain", most of the time, its just wheat...albeit whole grain wheat.
I eat s/f jello and put some fruit in it for dessert a lot of times or strawberries.
I keep a serving of nuts by the couch so I can munch if I want during TV.

The main thing is to be sure you eat enough and get in your protein. Brown rice and beans make a whole protein and you can do a lot with brown rice.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-03-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

It does help, Nigel. I think I just need to eat whatever I was eating before, minus all the white flour and sugar. I think those were causing the glucose problems. And I will get sprouted grain bread when I can, but when I'm too broke, cracked wheat it is. I think eating more beans and less faux meats will help my budget, too. (Budgeting is somewhat a concern; I usually only have an average of $150 a month to work with as far as food.) I can make my own coconut milk on the cheap, but it doesn't have calcium like the store-bought. I guess I could go back to cow's milk and not break the carb bank. I just like being able to have an almost carb-free latte in the afternoons.
I'm currently doing under 150 carbs to lose, but my average ends up being 125-130. My absolute max on any given day would be 180, but I never even hit 160.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:37 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/249/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
I understand what you're saying. With so many WOE and recommendations, it's hard to determine. I am on a budget too. I try to either find coupons for milk or get more than one when they go on sale. I am trying to stop relying on the fake meat too much too. I am going to try to make my own burgers and also try to find some different forms or protein.

I tried hemp protein and liked and I am going to try hemp hearts. That may be something to try. I don't eat wheat, but I am sure you can find low carb breads. Also, there is oats, chia and nuts.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Oats are ok? I always think of them as carby. I guess I'll have to look at the nutrition label.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

It depends. I don't use them as the usual bowl of oatmeal. I usually just throw some in cookies or homemade bars. That way I can control the carbs better. Also, I found my mother some (who likes a bowl of oatmeal) these low carb oats. They were called Fit something. I wish I could remember the full name.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Cucui - Welcome to the forum.

I know a lot of low carbers use steel cut oats...

Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats are 29 carbs for 1/4 cup dry and if you count net carbs, then minus 5 for fiber which is 24 carbs.

1 cup of dry rolled oats is 56 carbs and 8 grams fiber which = 48.

So looking at those figures, the steel cut oats don't seem like such a great carb bargain unless perhaps they are more filling. ?

So if you only use a little or even 1/4 cup dry, that's not very bad on the carb count. I often grind up some oats to use as flour in cookies.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thank Nigel. I've bee around but I usually lurk.